25 o'clock

Alpaca2500

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
this song is sooo cool. i just borrowed a tape with this song on it, and it
also has gas mask, and john linell talking about how he wanted to live in japan
after seeing this song on a japanese talent show or something. i was wondering
though, what are the words to 25 o'clock (the tape is pretty low quality, i
cant make all of them out)
--
David Browne: Alpac...@aol.com
"Cuidado las llamas que viven en los rios del Brazil"

The Great Quux

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Alpaca2500 wrote:
> also has gas mask, and john linell talking about how he wanted to live in japan

i think that's flansy talking. there's an MP3 of it at
www.tmbg.net/irc/offer.htm and also one of 25 o'clock (the words might
be at www.tmbg.org's lyric archive).

-- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY --

"I Wonder if there's beer on the sun?" --Zap Rowsdower

Joey A Odorisio

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
>i think that's flansy talking. there's an MP3 of it at
>www.tmbg.net/irc/offer.htm and also one of 25 o'clock (the words might
>be at www.tmbg.org's lyric archive).

I just DLed that MP3 actually. Odd song, it`s "weird" but not in a TMBG
way.

JOEY ODORISIO Joey.A....@widener.edu
http://pages.prodigy.net/spiraling_shape/
"Lemmetellyaboutmyotherfriendnow!" - The Offspring, Why Don`t You Get A Job?

Jay G.

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

Alpaca2500 wrote in message
<19990311161443...@ng-fc1.aol.com>...

>this song is sooo cool. i just borrowed a tape with this song on it, and
it
>also has gas mask, and john linell talking about how he wanted to live in
japan
>after seeing this song on a japanese talent show or something. i was
wondering
>though, what are the words to 25 o'clock (the tape is pretty low quality,
>cant make all of them out)

That's Flansburgh on Gas Mask.

The song 25 O'Clock is a cover of a Dukes of Stratosphear song (XTC is
diguise)
and is available on the XTC Tribute album A Testimonial Dinner. I found the
lyrics
at the Chalkhills webpage http://www.chalkhills.org . here they are:

25 O'clock
The urge to take you grows more strong
For time had made me wait too long
Each watch I smash apart
Just adding to my power
Each watch I smash apart
Just bringing near the hour
of 25 o'clock, that's when you're going to be mine
25 o'clock, we'll be together 'til the end of time
At 25 o'clock
The ticking seconds hear them call
My spell of hours will make you fall
Each timer that I break
Will halt the flowing sands
Each timer that I break
Will put you in my hands
At 25 o'clock, that's when you're going to be mine
25 o'clock, we'll be together 'til the end of time
At 25 o'clock

Each watch I smash apart
Just adding to my power
Each watch I smash apart
Just bringing near the hour
of 25 o'clock

I believe the backwards part in the middle of the song is the Johns saying:
"Bands I like" and then listing various bands, including adam ant.

-Jay

ALeigh992

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

>this song is sooo cool. ... i was

>wondering
>though, what are the words to 25 o'clock (the tape is pretty low quality, i
>cant make all of them out)

http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/songs/lyrics/25OClock.html

Whoda thunk it? A tmbg resource right at our fingertips! <g>

It's a great song, though...check out the original version by the Dukes of
Stratosphear (XTC's alter ego), that whole cd is pretty wonderful.
Aleigh
Check it out! Check it totally out!! --> http://i.am/not_your_broom

"It's fun to steal, but the day you change your ways you'll find out she's
exactly the same"~Mono Puff

Rich Bunnell

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
ALeigh992 wrote:

> It's a great song, though...check out the original version by the Dukes of
> Stratosphear (XTC's alter ego), that whole cd is pretty wonderful.

Personally (and this is heresy among XTC fans) I like the TMBG version
better than the Dukes version, though it lacks a lot of the overall
psychadelicness of the original, like Andy Partrid---err---Sir John
Johns' fragmented, echoed vocals. I just think that the way that Linnell
and Flans' vocals clash during the chorus.

Rich Bunnell or "Metal Man," whichever sounds more insane
-
"The white folks think they're at the top, ask any proud white male. A
million years of evolution, we get Danny Quayle." -Oingo Boingo,
"Insanity"
-
"You put your cleanest dirty shirt on, then you stagger down to meet the
dawn!" -XTC, "Wake Up"
-
http://members.xoom.com/taoster/

HallOfEyes

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
>>Personally (and this is heresy among XTC fans) I like the TMBG version
better than the Dukes version, though it lacks a lot of the overall
psychadelicness of the original, like Andy Partrid---err---Sir John Johns'
fragmented, echoed vocals. I just think that the way that Linnell and Flans'
vocals clash during the chorus.<<

Yeah, I like TMBG's version better. The beat or tempo or something is better.
But really, the whole Dukes album (or both albums, whatever) is GREAT. When I
brought it to get signed at Tower Records, Andy and Colin signed it "Sir John
Johns" and "The Red Curtain" , and the "o" in Johns all spirally and
psychadelic. :)

Jordan
"My father calls them "grandma's cookies" but grandma's dead"-Matthew Koff
"Faster than a bastard maniac, more powerful than a loco-madman, it's Super
Freddy!"-Freddy Kreuger
"Nice holes!"- Andy Partridge of XTC, after putting his fingers in my ears.

Rich Bunnell

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
HallOfEyes wrote:

> >>Personally (and this is heresy among XTC fans) I like the TMBG version
> better than the Dukes version, though it lacks a lot of the overall
> psychadelicness of the original, like Andy Partrid---err---Sir John Johns'
> fragmented, echoed vocals. I just think that the way that Linnell and Flans'
> vocals clash during the chorus.<<
>
> Yeah, I like TMBG's version better. The beat or tempo or something is better.
> But really, the whole Dukes album (or both albums, whatever) is GREAT.

Most definitely yes. It's all odd but it's all actually PSYCHADELIC,
not like other psychadelic throwbacks recorded by other groups. The
Psonic Psunspot side is much less psychadelic in a way, but even the pop
sounds genuine.

> When I
> brought it to get signed at Tower Records, Andy and Colin signed it "Sir John
> Johns" and "The Red Curtain" , and the "o" in Johns all spirally and
> psychadelic. :)

Andy and Colin came to San Francisco--roughly 50 miles from me, suffice
it to say I couldn't go, even if I tried. Wait 'till I'm able to drive
and can go freely whenever I want--then I'll go to EVERY ONE!
HAHAHAHAHA!

GoodOmenz

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
> Personally (and this is heresy among XTC fans) I like the TMBG version
>better than the Dukes version

face it, as the success of Istanbul and bootleg compilations more than proves,
TMBG are the best goddam cover band on the planet...
~liz
"The aye's have it... and YOUR eye's certainly have it!" -Remember WENN
http://members.aol.com/goodomenz/dates.html

Rich Bunnell

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
SizzlerSis wrote:

> On account that my mum bought be "A Testimonial Dinner: The Songs Of XTC" for
> x-mas without knowing that I already had it, I have an extra copy of this cd
> kicking around. I'll sell it to whoever asks me first for 7 bucks. HEAR The
> Verve Pipe do a suprisingly kickass rendition of "Wake Up"!

Personally I can't stand the Verve Pipe's "Wake Up"--possibly because
they get rid of the choir, which was an integral part of the original
song, and also the fact that the original's one of my favorite XTC
songs.

SizzlerSis

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
>this song is sooo cool.

On account that my mum bought be "A Testimonial Dinner: The Songs Of XTC" for

x-mas without knowing that I already had it, I have an extra copy of this cd
kicking around. I'll sell it to whoever asks me first for 7 bucks. HEAR The

Verve Pipe do a suprisingly kickass rendition of "Wake Up"! HEAR Sarah
McClachlan belt out "Dear God" with no annoying little kids! Best of all,
you'll have TMBG doing "25 O'Clock", in all their nasally glory.
Hurryhurryhurry!
Caitlin
"Isn't it a delight to rub people up the wrong way?"
(Andy Partridge)

SizzlerSis

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
......sold to Liz! <g>
Caitlin
"How can you make albums when your hands are turning into lobsters?"
(Andy Partridge, on why he never takes Ecstacy)