Lansbury Font Origin?

Jessicah

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since I'm
not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's true.
Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

Here's a link to Amazon.com's picture of the cover...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1576237494.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

--Jessicah

~*The Sweetest Flower*~
Jess...@smashing-pumpkins.com

Andrew Miller

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
In article <Q4Jc5.2123$zW2....@news.flash.net>,

Jessicah <tamh...@flash.net> wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
>Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since I'm
>not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's true.

It is absolutely true. That's where the Lansbury name came from. It was
the "title" font of "Murder, She Wrote" (starring Angela Lansbury) about 10
years before Siamese Dream came out. (IMDB says it debuted in 1984.)
In all likelihood the font wasn't created for the show either, but its
"true" name has been lost to typographical history I guess.

>Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
>looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

That's a shockingly young Neil Young, I must say. Lansbury isn't a
"trademarked" font. Anyone can use it. It looks "neat" so you do see it
pop up in non-Pumpkin related things on occasion.

andy
you and i high in the sky

--
* email: and...@tdl.com
* homepage: http://www.tdl.com/~andrewm + know it + use it + love it

Kyle Huang

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
interestingly enough, there's a sign outside the Pirates of the Carribbean ride
at Disney Land that uses the lansbury font. not sure how old the sign is...

Jessicah wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
> Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since I'm
> not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's true.

> Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
> looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

^*^THE MASTER^*^

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Jessicah <tamh...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
> Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since
I'm
> not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's
true.
> Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
> looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

I believe Durex used it for a short period in the late 70's.

Milan de Jong

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
"Jessicah" <tamh...@flash.net> wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
> Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since
I'm
> not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's
true.
> Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
> looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?
>
> Here's a link to Amazon.com's picture of the cover...
> http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1576237494.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif
>
> --Jessicah
>
> ~*The Sweetest Flower*~
> Jess...@smashing-pumpkins.com

Many typefaces are in fact older than we think. I believe the font used on
MCIS was created in the 1920's. Don't know what the original name was...

Recently I got to see the movie 'The Green Mile' with Tom Hanks. A character
Percy Wetmoore is reading a book on psychology, the title of the book was in
the 'Lansbury' font. The movie was set in the 1930's. Imho this font was
choosen to match the atmosphere of books and their looks around that time.
So I would say the font dates from the 1930's or earlier.

Milan de Jong

Spaceboy365

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Well it proabably didn't start with "murder she wrote" but i think that thats
where the lansbury name came from...the main character is Angela Lansbury...so
thats where we got our version of the font...i guess.

jason

^*^THE MASTER^*^

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

Spaceboy365 <space...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Well it proabably didn't start with "murder she wrote" but i think that
thats
> where the lansbury name came from...the main character is Angela Lansbury

You mean the actress Angela Lansbury?

Konuas

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
neil young kicks ass.

raccoon

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
^*^THE MASTER^*^ said:

jessica flecther is the character...

thats so sad that i know this...

raccoon
the_racco...@mac.com

isra

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00

>Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
>Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since I'm
>not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's true.
>Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
>looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

It's probably named as such because it's the font used during the opening
credits to Murder, She Wrote. ... and it's a fairly common font, it shows up on
a lot of CDs and ads.

isra

**************************************
*remove clothes to reply*
http://isra.diaryland.com

"Y'all take what God gave ya, put a couple of sequins on it,
and you've got a star"
--Milly at Lounge Ax's last call

GhstChild / Ashley Hinton

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
^*^THE MASTER^*^ <kangorabbit@WHEN YOU FART - FART WITH A
SMILEoceanfree.net> wrote in message news:tuNc5.2724$SH2....@news.iol.ie...

> Jessicah <tamh...@flash.net> wrote in message
> > Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
> > Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since
> I'm
> > not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's
> true.
> > Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
> > looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?
>
> I believe Durex used it for a short period in the late 70's.

Anyone have any leftover "product" to confirm this? I get the feeling you
wouldn't need it any more.

And if you do, get the fuck out of my newsgroup.

--
Ashley Noel Hinton - GhstChild
http://www.biosys.net/ghstchild

GhstChild / Ashley Hinton

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
raccoon <the_spam...@mac.com> wrote in message

It only gets sad if you have a ranking of favourite episodes, and a Jessica
Fletcher Action Figure.

If so, get the fuck out of my newsgroup.

GhstChild / Ashley Hinton

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
Konuas <konuas@*NOSPAMPLEASEANDTHANKYOU*hotmail.com> wrote in message

> neil young kicks ass.

Does this service cost anything?

Jonathan McArthur

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
"GhstChild / Ashley Hinton" <ghstchildSPAMBEGONE!!@biosys.net> wrote in message

| > > You mean the actress Angela Lansbury?
| > jessica flecther is the character...
| > thats so sad that i know this...
| It only gets sad if you have a ranking of favourite episodes, and a Jessica
| Fletcher Action Figure.

My grandmother bought me a Murder: She Wrote jigsaw puzzle for me when I was about 10. That was
a trifle odd, given that I didn't know what the hell this strange-looking woman was doing on a
puzzle box (that would be Angela Lansbury, as opposed to my grandmother). Anyway, the moral of
the story is that I once saw the font in question used on a Led Zep shirt. Fascinating, eh?

| If so, get the fuck out of my newsgroup.

Would you shut up with that? I mean, Jesus Fuck, and everything... plus, yes. Must re-focus life
upon Usenet - I know you crazy kids on AMSP miss me so, since I am so sporadic with my postings
these days. For shame! Now, it's time for bed, no sleep being a factor in crap, and all.

--
Another stunning Jonathan McArthur AMSP post...
NP: Blister / Our Lady Peace

Spaceboy365

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
<You mean the actress Angela Lansbury?>

lol....oh yeah...the charachter was jessica.....i havent seen that show in a
looong time....i dont think i want to either....it always ended the
same...anywho...good call my friend

jason

Konuas

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
about $14 for a CD.

Ryan Singer

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
this font also appears in the booklet for pink floyd's division bell.

Andrew Miller <and...@www.tdl.com> wrote in message

> In article <Q4Jc5.2123$zW2....@news.flash.net>,
> Jessicah <tamh...@flash.net> wrote:

> >Just out of curiosity, did the Lansbury Font (the font used on Siamese
> >Dream) originate on "Murder, She Wrote"? I've heard rumours, but since
I'm
> >not exactly (*cough*) a big fan of the show, I have no idea if that's
true.

> It is absolutely true. That's where the Lansbury name came from. It was
> the "title" font of "Murder, She Wrote" (starring Angela Lansbury) about
10
> years before Siamese Dream came out. (IMDB says it debuted in 1984.)
> In all likelihood the font wasn't created for the show either, but its
> "true" name has been lost to typographical history I guess.
>

> >Furthermore, on Neil Young's Guitar Anthology Series book ('96) the font
> >looks surprisingly similar...is there any connection?

Jessicah

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
Thanks for the info. And I guess the font's more popular than I realised.