High G & A fingering-tenor sax

Geoff Atherton

Oct 12, 2006, 5:39:05 PM10/12/06
I am struggling getting high G & A notes from my tenor.
I can play upto a high C on alto but the tenor (which is fairly new for me)
high notes are a problem for me.
The fingering I'm using for G is top aux key,8ve key & side Bb key but to no
avail.

Does anybody have any advice,suggestions etc?

Many thanks

Geoff Atherton

Grumps

Oct 13, 2006, 9:22:41 AM10/13/06

Try playing F#3 with the octave, front F, right hand 1 and side Bb.
Then just try letting go of the right hand 1 key to move it up to G3.
For A3 on tenor I use octave, left hand 23 and right hand 123.

Geoff Atherton

Oct 13, 2006, 9:38:18 AM10/13/06
Thanks for the advice!!
The A3 comes out fine first time!!
The G I'm still struggling with..I'm not sure of the key names.
Is F#3 the third left hand palm key?...on it's own?

Cheers..thanks so far!

Geoff

"Grumps" <grmpy...@aol.com> wrote in message

STEVE GOODSON

Oct 13, 2006, 10:07:09 AM10/13/06
for G, try the high F# key + the B key + octave key

--
WARNING: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye

Visit my website www.saxgourmet.com
Visit my Forum http://www.saxnation.com/forum/
Sax Repair Group

Keith Gemmell

Oct 13, 2006, 10:25:30 AM10/13/06
Geoff Atherton wrote:
> Thanks for the advice!!
> The A3 comes out fine first time!!
> The G I'm still struggling with..I'm not sure of the key names.
> Is F#3 the third left hand palm key?...on it's own?

Try 1_0_3 | 1_0_0 for F#

1_0_3 | 0_0_3 for G

Both with octave key.

Keith Gemmell
http://www.saxmusicplus.com

ST

Oct 13, 2006, 11:14:29 AM10/13/06
Keith Gemmell wrote:

> Try 1_0_3 | 1_0_0 for F#
> 1_0_3 | 0_0_3 for G
>
> Both with octave key.

I've struggled with these notes for years, as it seemed that some days
(months!) it would work fine, and others it wouldn't.

Finally figured it out: any imperfection in the front Bb mechanism will
kill these two notes, even if you can out get a front Bb just fine.

The solution that works for me is to always use the bis Bb with the
front F. That way, even if the mechanism is off by a hair, it still works.

m...@rco.rosano

Oct 13, 2006, 6:38:26 PM10/13/06

The height at which the high F key opens when depressing the Front F
lever can have a very big effect on how well the high F# and G speak.
If you brought it to a good sax tech who actually plays saxophone,
he/she might be able to get those notes to speak much more easily with
a little adjustment. Of course it's worthwhile getting it checked out
anyway. I was having a lot of altissimo trouble on my Yani 991 tenor
until I adjusted the front F key. Strangely, it didn't seem to make
much difference at all on my old Yamaha 62.

- Marco

Szymon Łukowski

Oct 14, 2006, 7:05:54 PM10/14/06
I use the following fingerings:

( Left hand|Right Hand ); f means front F key:

F#3:
f - - - |1 - -, with octave key

G3:
f - - - |Bb + standard Eb.

G#3:

- 2 3 |1 + Bb

A3:

- 2 3 |1 2 3 Eb.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Szymon Łukowski

AndyW

Oct 17, 2006, 4:51:09 AM10/17/06
For G3 -
As well as the Faux & 8ve & side Bb fingering,
you can miss out the Bb side key for a quick G3

F#3 is then Faux & 8ve & 000|100 [gives an easy trill to the G]

I also use 123|023 & 8ve for G3

be aware of airstream, tongue position, and *don't* tighten up the
embouchure or bite !

-A-

Grumps

Oct 17, 2006, 9:37:32 AM10/17/06

Geoff Atherton wrote:
> Is F#3 the third left hand palm key?...on it's own?

The F#3 fingering I described is the altissimo fingering. From that I
find it a heck of a lot easier to find G3 simply by lifting up the
first finger on the right hand. Then once you're used to that, you can
work on finding it without the transition. Modern horns do have F#3
keys, and it's generally located between the right hand palm keys and
right hand finger keys. This key had been an option in the past, but
became standard on Selmer's Mark VII. Now they're everywhere and some
folks have figured out a way to get G3 by using this new F#3 key. Most
old-schooler's don't even use the key at all; even if their horn is
equipped with it. Kids love 'em though.

Shang

Oct 17, 2006, 6:42:23 PM10/17/06
for G try

1_2_3 | 0_0_3
plus octave key and LOW C# KEY

On Oct 12, 11:39 pm, "Geoff Atherton"

l.ger...@chello.nl

Oct 18, 2006, 5:35:04 PM10/18/06
I would first go for the harmonics exercise. Play low C and play middle
c using your embouchure, then high c up to G and higher after that.
When that goes right after lots of practice you can use your own
fingering mentioned in your first post.

Louis Gerrits