first conert [ot] but who cares

Al

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
went my first ever concert on friday, twas iron maiden, and it RULED dude,
it was so cool going to see a metal band for my first gig 'cos of the
atmosphere and the moshing, and the fights, and all the other stuff like
shouting the lyrics and it ROCKED man....

Al

very happy

Aidan O'Brien

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Cool man!

I just cannot wait until December, I get to go see green day
(yay!) at wembley and then in January it's back up to
wembley to see the offspring!! But yet still no SG...:-(

Al

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
> I just cannot wait until December, I get to go see green day
> (yay!) at wembley and then in January it's back up to
> wembley to see the offspring!! But yet still no SG...:-(

awww, I'll tell you how it went just to make ya jealous ;)

the only problem is that I'm going with aloony sg obsessive (no offence if
anyone here classes themselves as this) which means that my hearing will be
gone in one ear as she sings all the songs, *off key* at the top of her
voice *OW*

hehe

not a good time to have a hangover (makes mental note, no hangovers)

Al

hehe

very ill, almost fainted today, not happy

Raych

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

> the only problem is that I'm going with aloony sg obsessive (no offence if
> anyone here classes themselves as this) which means that my hearing will
be
> gone in one ear as she sings all the songs, *off key* at the top of her
> voice *OW*

i am NOT off key
you wouldn't be going if we hadn't booked your ticket so count your
blessings honey!

Raych
-x-

Al

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

damn, the one day she's online....... ::smirks cutely::

Al

Stupy

Nov 7, 2000, 10:26:16 PM11/7/00
I have albums by the Offspring, Green Day and Savage Garden. It's nice to
see other weido's are around :P

Stuart

Aidan O'Brien wrote in message ...
>Cool man!

Aidan O'Brien

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
In article <5z3O5.25329$e5.4...@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
lege...@diespammersdie.hotmail.com (Stupy) wrote:

> It's nice to
> see other weido's are around :P

I prefer the term "Social Outcast" or "Freak" thank you
very much.

Aidan.
(Who'd rather be dead than cool...)

Al

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
> > It's nice to
> > see other weido's are around :P
>
> I prefer the term "Social Outcast" or "Freak" thank you
> very much.

Individualists??

Al

Stupy

Nov 9, 2000, 9:18:21 PM11/9/00
I hate those terms ;) I think it's everyone else who's the freak... you
know... the "beautiful people"... the people who are the same as everyone
else... BORING! :P

The other day I had someone tell me I was arrogant in high school. I didn't
realise this, but then I thought about it and realised that I consider most
people who are considered 'arrogant' as being individuals with guts. So,
from this I deduce that a lot of the time having some guts means a person is
arrogant. This leaves the choice - arrogance or a boring drone of society? I
know which one I prefer. Of course, there are some people who just are
arrogant, but that doesn't happen as much as this case in my experience.

Stuart

Aidan O'Brien wrote in message ...
>> It's nice to
>> see other weido's are around :P
>

>I prefer the term "Social Outcast" or "Freak" thank you
>very much.

Raych

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
> I have albums by the Offspring, Green Day and Savage Garden. It's nice to
> see other weido's are around :P

what is the Offspring like?

My bruv and I just bought Original Prankster and I'm considering getting
'Consipracy of One' which is out today
but my mum said to be careful of the knid of people who write the stuff cos
she went to a rock concert and they had a burning upside cross on stage *and
I don't wnat to get into that kind of stuff)

Raych
-x-

Al

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
> but my mum said to be careful of the knid of people who write the stuff
cos
> she went to a rock concert and they had a burning upside cross on stage
*and
> I don't wnat to get into that kind of stuff)

since when haqs your mum gone maiden concerts???

hehehe

that's a lie, so much of it is image, people right songs to express inner
emoptions, but they also write a whole load of bull, you just gotta make
sure you don't get in with the wrong *people*

Al

music is subjective

Stupy

Nov 13, 2000, 7:49:46 PM11/13/00
*lol* :) Naivety. Some "rock" groups are religious, for instance. Take U2,
on the new album cover there is even a biblical reference (J 33-3 -> can be
taken as meaning two things, both of biblical context). There are many other
rock groups that although they may not be strongly religious, it's a safe
bet to say that burning crosses is a no-go region. I'm not religious but you
would never catch me burning a cross! There's just something fundamentally
wrong with disrespecting a relgion like that.

The Offspring have some songs in their back catalogue that would offend if
you WANT to be offended. "Bad Habit" from the Smash album comes to mind -> a
song which was actually about one of the guys from the Offspring being
TERRIFIED of road rage when he was younger and driving a slow car on the
highway.

The Offspring have some religious context lyrics here and there. On "Ixnay
On The Hombre", their second last album (now), there was a single on it
called "Gone Away". This was a gold top 20 single in Australia but didn't do
well in the UK and it was a few years ago anyway. "And it feels like, heaven
is so far away... the world is so cold now that you've gone away... I reach
to the sky, and call out your name, and if I could trade, I would".
Something tells me the Offspring would not be big on burning crosses. On the
scale of things the Offspring tend to have a lot better messages in their
music than the heavier nature or forward lyrics they often have put forward.
I think this annoys the base "punk" fans... but that's another story.

Maybe your mother was a Black Sabbath fan or something =) Ozzy was a bit,
errr, Ozzy.

To class rock groups as cross burners is VERY naive... in rock, there are so
many individuals... they all so different stuff... it's more about speaking
your mind, doing your own thing etc, unless pop which drones out
Backstreet-like Clones with rare exceptions. Rock is a massive, diverse
genre! :)

Stuart

Raych wrote in message <8upibk$8ub$1...@lure.pipex.net>...

>> I have albums by the Offspring, Green Day and Savage Garden. It's nice to
>> see other weido's are around :P
>

>what is the Offspring like?
>
>My bruv and I just bought Original Prankster and I'm considering getting
>'Consipracy of One' which is out today

>but my mum said to be careful of the knid of people who write the stuff cos
>she went to a rock concert and they had a burning upside cross on stage
*and
>I don't wnat to get into that kind of stuff)
>

>Raych
>-x-

Al

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
I'm not religious but you
> would never catch me burning a cross! There's just something fundamentally
> wrong with disrespecting a relgion like that.

hmmm, I don't actually have a point of view on this one, but I figured I'd
say something anyway:

I feel that a lot of bands that go in for this sort of thing are adopting a
sort of shock-tactic-sell-records approach, and don't have any issue with
the religion. I find it very dangerous to assosciate an image too much with
a way of life or religion (some would aregue that one is synonymous with the
other).
Ok there's stuff like the 'upside down' cross which is *supposed* to
symbolise the devil and stuff (hmm, why did maiden use this.... hmmm), but
could you say that having a cross in a building because of structural
necessity is disrespecting a religion?
At the concert, what they're fundamentally doing is setting fire to
(probably) gas in some way around a structure which forms a geometric shape
that happens to be in the shape of a cross, how does this disrespect a
religion? Particularly as I find it difficult to percieve there being any
sort of malicious intent behind it. Of course I can understand how they
might find it fun to bait christians, particularly as the christians who
tend to get involved usually leave themselves wide open to a slating.....
hell, I do it.......

It's like goths wearing big ole' crosses on chains, but they aren't
religious in anyway, it's just a shape. Sometimes I feel that we take
symbols (Real or percieved) to seriously. Just another slightly more
blatant example:

At the maiden concert I saw a guy wearing a T-shirt with 'Jesus is a cunt'
on it.

now before the mass beration for slating a religion could I just say, 'who
the f...'s Jesus?'

get my point?

Al

probably does have a point of view now

but he isn't saying that bruning crosses is either right or wrong

Raych

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
> Maybe your mother was a Black Sabbath fan or something =)

Actually they were called 'Hawk Wind' (answers on a postcard pleases)

> To class rock groups as cross burners is VERY naive...

i didn't - i was just expressing my parents concern

it's more about speaking
> your mind, doing your own thing etc,

yeah i bet it is - i was just worried there might be swear words and stuff -
not that I'm bothered but my parents don't like it and I don't wnat to go
against their wishes (again)

. Rock is a massive, diverse
> genre! :)

rockin

thanx

Raych
-x-

Stupy

Nov 14, 2000, 7:14:04 PM11/14/00
Oh, the chances are Conspiracy Of One will have a few swear words.

It takes a fair bit to offend me so I didn't even think of that.

I don't think much of artists who just swear all the time... I think it's a
bit of a lyrical copout to have it all the time... but the Offspring just
have a few here and there.

Just keep the volume down the first time you listen to it so your parents
don't know =)

Hey, Original Prankster has a swear word in it... surely you knew there
might be a swear wor dor two in the album =)

Stuart

Raych wrote in message <8us3gn$n9q$1...@lure.pipex.net>...

>> Maybe your mother was a Black Sabbath fan or something =)
>

>Actually they were called 'Hawk Wind' (answers on a postcard pleases)
>

>> To class rock groups as cross burners is VERY naive...
>

>i didn't - i was just expressing my parents concern
>

>it's more about speaking
>> your mind, doing your own thing etc,
>

>yeah i bet it is - i was just worried there might be swear words and
stuff -
>not that I'm bothered but my parents don't like it and I don't wnat to go
>against their wishes (again)
>

>. Rock is a massive, diverse
>> genre! :)
>

>rockin
>
>thanx
>
>Raych
>-x-

Al

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
> Oh, the chances are Conspiracy Of One will have a few swear words.
>
> It takes a fair bit to offend me so I didn't even think of that.

I actually find it really confusing that people *do* take offence at a
substantial proportion of our vocabulary that is defined as 'swearing'. Why
is 'shit' so much more upsetting than 'poo' for instance (I was going to use
a ruder one which makes the point more clearly but figured children would be
reading)?

Most of what we now call swearing is actually anglo-saxon in origin, and I
find it really weird that some anglo-saxon words (can't think of any off the
top of my head) have been readily incorporated into modern english (or which
ever derivative you practice), whilst others have been condemned. Why is
'penis' more acceptable than 'dick' for instance.

I don't say that 'searing' is right, and you always have to adapt to
cultural moulds, you wouldn't go to a job interview spouting f words, but I
always find it interesting how language, if not corrupted, is re-interpreted
as time continues.

Of course the other side of the coin is that you have to be exposed to what
are percieved to be 'negative' aspects of our culture - such as swearing.
Is it a good idea to rap people in the proverbial foam for the period of
their life where they have to learn how to live with themselves and other
people, then rip that shield away? I personally feel that while swearing
should never be actively condoned, it should always be the case that people
are aware of it, and aware of when swearing is most definitely *not*
acceptable. Without a knowledge of swearing it is difficult to be taught
thise one. It's one of those chicken and egh - learn-from-mistakes type
one, where you have to be exposed to be protected. A good example is a
vaccination, where you expose someone to a negative influence to protect
them for the future, I feel that the negative aspects of our culture (such
as swearing) have to be treated in the same manner.

Of course, we shouldn;t start injecting our kids with heroin which is an
extreme to which some may take this argument, but they shoudl be made aware
of what it is, and the positivea nd negative aspects of it so that they can
be protected.... but that's another argument entirely.....

Al

0.02

Jungle Jim

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Hmm... interesting, a debate on political correctness is on the cards if
this continues.

I do agree with most of Al's comment but what you have to consider is not
all people are the same, I know its a cliché but its something the slip our
minds.
when someone says "I can't believe some people...blah blah blah" it does
sound rather ignorant. For example, when I sometimes placed in the classical
counter at work, I get questions like, "Do you have Waltar Brumon
Stofovaskhov's violin concerto performing the 3rd rift in C minor?" I reply
by saying, "Walter who?" and then they would say something like, " You don't
know who Waltar Brumon Stofovaskhov's is? Everyone with a higher IQ of 1
knows who Waltar Brumon Stofovaskhov's is." This is where I'm tempted to say
"Do you know who Eminem is?" but I know that won't go down too well with my
boss and the stuck up middle class snob who is standing next to me. But I'm
digressing (like usual) so I let me go back to my point.
The thing is Al, there is a difference when you say "He's black" and "He's a
nigger."
This is what political correctness is all about but what pisses me off is
that PC has gone bonkers and people are coming up with phrases which is
completely outrageous.
Some examples;
The PC way of saying BO is "nodiscretionary fragrance"
A disabled person is considered to be "cerebrally challenged" is a PC world.
There was a cafe in a certain country which banned their staff in calling a
certain fluid "Black coffee" since they considered to be politically
incorrect.
The point behind PC is that is supposed to promote equality... call me
stupid but how the hell does referring a white person as a "mutant albino
genetic-recessive global minority" promotes equality?

Anyway, I'm off again.
Ali
"Al" <alm...@buggeroffspammersmygaff.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Oh, the chances are Conspiracy Of One will have a few swear words.
> >
> > It takes a fair bit to offend me so I didn't even think of that.

Al

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
> Hmm... interesting, a debate on political correctness is on the cards if
> this continues.

<snip>

sadly it never happened <<sighs>>

Al