Will O(-+> ever be as good as Prince??

Paul McGannon

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Iam a Prince fanatic and have been for over ten years. In my opinion all of
his music from Graffiti Bridge back is floorless and to say that any one of
these songs is better than any other is an exercise in futility, it all
depends on how you feel at the time. However, since then for one reason or
another (which we are left to speculate) his music has slowly declined to
the point of despair with that piece of crap called 'Chaos and disorder'.
Now Iam not saying that all his music now is worthless. He has got some
pure gems of old Prince brilliance on his albums since (e.g. Friend, lover,
sister, mother/wife and The love we make). But will there again come a time
when every track on every album gives you a musical orgasm as in the days
of old or will it be a case of take the good with the bad as in
Emancipation???

look after your soul
paullos

John T. Folden

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Paul McGannon wrote:

> Iam a Prince fanatic and have been for over ten years. In my opinion all of
> his music from Graffiti Bridge back is floorless and to say that any one of
> these songs is better than any other is an exercise in futility, it all
> depends on how you feel at the time. However, since then for one reason or
> another (which we are left to speculate) his music has slowly declined to

Personally, I think the majority of his newer music is just as goodas previous
efforts prior to and including GB. It really all depends
on what your musical tastes are like. I'll agree that C&D is not
a great work, but Controversy was a rather uneven album, too.
I've never been incredibly fond of GB either... However, I love
the following albums old and new: 1999, Parade, SOTT, O(+>, TGE,
and Emancipation.

LMSpear2

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

I disagree.

Every track on albums such as "Controversy," "1999," "Around THe World In
A Day," "Parade," etc was not floorless.

I'd say what has hurt Prince to the most in his years/albums after
Graffiti Bridge is the fact that he dropped his "sound." Emancipation has a
lot of strong songs, in different genres... Sleep Around, The Human Body,
FLSMW, Saviour, Jam Of The Year, White Mansion (old skool!), etc. Same with
Gold.

I'd say a lot of people are stuck on his old music because of the 1) time
period and/or 2) feelings associated with these old songs.

Lou

DSulzberg

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

No- Prince will never be as amazing as O(+>!!!!

End of story~

Anuhstesia

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

> Prince will never be as amazing as O(+>!!!!

O(+> IS Prince! Do you separate Cassius Clay's fights from Ali's? No, he
is the same man and someday the name Prince will be as forgotten as Cassius
Clay. (Maybe not til he stops using the word himself like I think I heard
him do several times on the tour). Also, IMO yes, he has done equally great
stuff since GB. It was cool to see The Artist talking to Ali - probably the
only person who could have an intelligent conversation with him about his
name. So feeble when Rosie O'Donnel started in with that Taffy crap. Get
past it.

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

On 11 Sep 1997, LMSpear2 wrote:

:>I disagree.

:>Lou

I would agree for the most part. I think his trademark
sound in that time period made people feel something
that this new music doesn't. But for fans like me who
really love the new music, much of his old music seems
to lack something. There are grand exceptions (i.e.
Sometimes It Snows In April and Purple Rain).

Actually, DSMR and New World make me yawn equally if
I'm really not in that dance mood.

b true...
Patrick A. Norris

"Meet me in another world of space and joy.
Vous etes tres belle, mama, girls and boys."
-- "Girls & Boys," Prince and the Revolution

personal homepage: http://www2.msstate.edu/~pan1

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

On 11 Sep 1997, Anuhstesia wrote:

:>> Prince will never be as amazing as O(+>!!!!

Even though I would concede that I'm more of a O(+>
fan than a Prince fan, I still think the name thing
may be the other way around. The artist will always
be known as Prince. I forsee the symbol being forgotten
before "Prince." A mention in the books of the supposed
name change will more than likely just be the mark of an
era in Prince music history.

The names Ali and Clay are totally different in that
aspect. How many people actually still refer to Ali
as Cassius Clay? Which one is a more memorable name?

I suppose that with "The Artist", that last question is
debatable.

James Bell

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

I don't think that O(-+> will ever be as good as Prince. Most of
his old songs are classic. His songs since he became O(-+> are lacking
something. Many of them, especially on Emancipation, sound like he is
trying to use too much technology and trying to write too many songs that
sound like other music that is out there today. When Prince was making
music in the 80's it was more raw and brought out more of his better
qualities. Back then his songs sounded great because it wasn't the same
beat throughout the whole song, most of the time it changed up a little
bit. Now some of the songs sound as if they were put together with the
technology of the new keyboards and they could have a concert without him
even touching an instrument.
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Prince fan and will always be one.
I think over the years he was so underrated it was sad. Most of the
songs on his albums, with the right promotion could have been hits for
either him or someone else. But, since it was Prince, greatness was
already expected out of him. In my opinion he is by far the greatest
musician of the 20th century.

Jay

Kelilah R Johnson

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Paul McGannon wrote:

<snip>
"when every track on every album gives you a *musical orgasm*"

Uh.....there's a special 1 4 music? Or only HIS music? Can it be
achieved alone? Or only with someone else who's a fan/"friend"? Tell me
about this phenomenon. I want 2 know ALL about it!!! ;)

Taking my cue 2 B a smartass from someone else,

KRJ

Rhastus69

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

I think this question has to do with personal taste. I have a friend that
got into Prince along with me during Purple Rain and was just as fanatical
as me through Sign O' the Times. When Lovesexy came out he got out of it
and started listening to other stuff and only playing the old Prince stuff.
I mean when the Girl 6 soundtrack came out he was all excited about having
Girls and Boys, Erotic City and Nasty Girl on cd, but thats old stuff. I
forced him to listen to Loose and he promptly "borrowed" my come cd for 3
months. I was after him to listen to Gold, but he won't. He kind of liked
Chaos and Disorder(he's more of a straight rock fan now), but when I played
some Exodus for him, he was trying to "borrow" it from me. I think if he
was all excited about a new release like he use to do, he would like it
just as much.

Also part of it is promotion. As Prince he was putting out singles and
videos that got played and got exposure. Sure its easy to say Prince sucks
now, just look at his record sales, but he hasn't had the desire to have
big singles or get played on MTV. He was too busy trying to get out of his
contract. Just Imagine if The Gold Experience came out after Purple Rain,
what it would have sold and how everybody would call him a genius again.
He's always going to have stuff that people really like and some that they
don't, but I don't know anybody else that puts out records for twenty years
and has me excited everytime something new by them comes out. I've used
more than my 2 cents in this rant

Rhastus

Anuhstesia

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

>He's always going to have stuff that people really like and some that they
>don't, but I don't know anybody else that puts out records for twenty years
>and has me excited everytime something new by them comes out.

That is the point. Few other artists have kept their originality so long.
There are so many artists who have one or two really great albums then run
out of "it". There are many songs of his I don't like but the list of ones
I do like is so LONG. And it seems his career has had lots of high points
as opposed to a decline from creative genius. Also, I think Mayte changed
his direction more than fighting with WB. As far as what name to call him,
it's just respect to call him what he wants....

HiRizeBear

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

>From: juven...@aol.com

>prince's albums today wipe the floor with his old stuff. I sincerely mean
>that. I am speaking of the music since Gold. The graffitti
>Bridge/Diamonds and Pearls era was a sad sad time.
>
>Lee

I agree, but I loved that damn drum machine , I've always wanted one just
to program and listen to over and over. I'm a drum & bass freak, what can
I say?

Question Mark

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Are you kidding? The Emancipation CD-set is cool! Especially the third disk.
I think it's the bomb!

P.S. Please remember to remove the "**" from my address so I can recieve your reply. Thanx.

LisaC.

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Rhastus69 wrote:

> but I don't know anybody else that puts out records for twenty years >and has me excited everytime something new by them comes out. I've used >more than my 2 cents in this rant
>
> Rhastus

I think that's what a lot of his fans like about his music.....you never
know what he's going to do until it actually hits your cd player.

peace
Lisa

Vyndikator

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

>prince's albums today wipe the floor with his old stuff. I sincerely mean
>that. I am speaking of the music since Gold. The graffitti
>Bridge/Diamonds and Pearls era was a sad sad time.

So you are saying albums like Chaos and Disorder, Emancipation, and GOld
Experience are better than albums like Purple Rain, Parade, and Lovesexy?
Hmm, thats a shame Lee.

--
Chris
"There's others here with us

JuvenileHi

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

>So you are saying albums like Chaos and Disorder, Emancipation, and GOld
>Experience are better than albums like Purple Rain, Parade, and Lovesexy?
>Hmm, thats a shame Lee.

Well, let's take a critical look at the albums. Shall we? Out of Gold,
Chaos, and emancipation, Gold is at this moment my favorite. Sonically it
is tasty, and song wise it is eons past Sludge fests like Around the World
in a Day and yes, purple rain. Today, the songs I still gig off PR are
Take Me With You, The Beautiful Ones, Computer Blue, Darling Nikki, and
Purple Rain...Off of Gold I dig P Control, endorphinmachine, Shhh, Gold, I
Hate U, TMBGITW, Dolphin, Shy, Now, it's just pound for pound Gold packs
more wollop. That's not how you spell that. My only complaint about
emancipation is the chincy production, but song wise it is a mother.
Somebody's Somebody, Right Back here in My Arms, Damned if I Do, White
Mansion, Human Body, Sleep Around, Curious Child, Dreamin About U, Soul
Sanctuary, Slave, New World, the Love we make, betcha By Golly Wow (yes, I
love this cover), it is just clearer to me. Emancipation was a BIG suprise
to these ears. I love it. And as for poor ol' Chaos and Disorder...The
title track, I Like it there, I Will, Into the Light, had U, Same
December...even Dinner with Delores. It really connects to me. So do most
of the songs on Come. The older albums just sound old now. I loved
lovesexy then, but compared to the new stuff it pales. Glam Slam? Dance
On? Part Two of Alphabet street? They seem alot more unfocused compared
to the new stuff. Call me crazy, I don't care.

Lee

uh-oh. I have a Web page
http://members.aol.com/JuvenileHi/index.html
Now I offically don't have a life.

Dolphin

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

JuvenileHi wrote:

> Well, let's take a critical look at the albums. Shall we?

<SNIP>

I agree. He has produced far better music in the recent years. If TGE
was released in 1984 it would have been HUGE....LOL I love that album.
Then again, I love all his albums...

> Call me crazy, I don't care.

CRAZY.

Call me a freak,
Dolphin

Dolphin

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

HiRizeBear wrote:

> I agree, but I loved that damn drum machine , I've always wanted one just
> to program and listen to over and over. I'm a drum & bass freak, what can
> I say?

and you don't like Bone?!

Vyndikator

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

>Call me a freak,
>Dolphin

FREAK

Call me gay,

Chris
"Uh huh, U got the right one baby. Uh Huh.
U got the one U need. Uh huh. U got the right one baby."
- Prince, 1991
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/5264/start.com

HiRizeBear

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

>From: Dolphin

>HiRizeBear wrote:
>
>> I'm a drum & bass freak, what can
>> I say?
>
>and you don't like Bone?!

Don't know nothing 'bout no Bone. Tell me.

Dolphin

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Vyndikator wrote:

> Call me gay,

Gay

Dolphin

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97
to HiRizeBear

HiRizeBear wrote:

> Don't know nothing 'bout no Bone. Tell me.

They are one of the most original if not THE most original rap group out
there. Even if you don't like rap you should give Bone Thugs ~N~ Harmony
a listen (if your ears can keep up).

LOL

Thuggish Ruggish,
Dolphin - shine a light somebody

Vyndikator

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

>They are one of the most original if not THE most original rap group out
>there. Even if you don't like rap you should give Bone Thugs ~N~ Harmony
>a listen (if your ears can keep up).

Dolphin's actually right. Although I don't care for much rap music Bone is
very good and yes you have to keep up with them..they are some fast ass
talkers. This group carries the "Gay Seal Of Approval".

Azifwekare

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

>they are some fast ass
>talkers.

so was Tony M... LOL

--bill j--

POORGOO

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Azifwekare wrote:

YEAH BUT THEY FLOW....I WILL SOON HAVE A BT-N-H PAGE 4 Y'ALL THO.....I
KNOW U R CURIOUS.

NO LOVE,
POORGOO

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Dolphin wrote:

:>HiRizeBear wrote:

:>> Don't know nothing 'bout no Bone. Tell me.

:>They are one of the most original if not THE most original rap group out

:>there. Even if you don't like rap you should give Bone Thugs ~N~ Harmony
:>a listen (if your ears can keep up).

:>LOL

:>Thuggish Ruggish,
:>Dolphin - shine a light somebody

most original?? I don't know. They seem quite
formulated to me. It's just lyrics in triplet
and cut time w/ a little singing (attempt) added.
Then add the religious and sacriligeous overtones...
Plus, did they originate what they are doing?
Controversy! (don't know what I mean, see also
Freestyle Fellowship(west coast), 3-6 Mafia(Memphis),
Twista (formerly known as Tung Twista), MC Brains
(Cleveland, too), and, yup, Tony M.) :)

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Dolphin wrote:

:>Vyndikator wrote:

:>> Call me gay,

:>Gay

hahahahahah... that sh_t was funny. :)

POORGOO

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Patrick Andrew Norris wrote:

> most original?? I don't know. They seem quite
> formulated to me.

YES. FORMULATED FOR SUCCESS. EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS FORMULATED.

> It's just lyrics in triplet
> and cut time w/ a little singing (attempt) added.

I THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD LISTEN AGAIN. THEY ARE A BIT DEEPER THAN YOU
GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR. BTW- IT IS VERY RARE THAT THEY "ATTEMPT" TO SING,
AND WHEN THEY DO THEY PULL IT OFF QUITE WELL IMO.

> Then add the religious and sacriligeous overtones...

HMMM....AND YOUR POINT IS?

> Plus, did they originate what they are doing?

NO ACTUALLY THEY WERE CONTRIVED BY ERIC "EAZY E" WRIGHT (R.I.P.)

> Controversy!

I LOVE CONTROVERSY. GREAT ALBUM.

> (don't know what I mean, see also
> Freestyle Fellowship(west coast), 3-6 Mafia(Memphis),
> Twista (formerly known as Tung Twista), MC Brains
> (Cleveland, too), and, yup, Tony M.) :)

YADA YADA YADA......EVERY ARTIST THERE IS CAN BE COMPARED TO OTHERS. DO
YOU LIKE PRINCE? SEE ALSO JAMES BROWN, JIMI HENDRIX, THE
BEATLES.....YADA YADA YADA YES I SAID THE BEAT666LES...

SO IT APPEARS YOU DON'T CARE FOR BONE.....THAT'S NICE. WHY DID YOU THINK
I WOULD CARE?

NO LOVE,
POORGOO

Mukamuk

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In thingy <5v9gcg$29j0$2...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, YTA...@prodigy.com
sez...

> I don't think that O(-+> will ever be as good as Prince. Most of
>his old songs are classic. His songs since he became O(-+> are lacking
>something. Many of them, especially on Emancipation, sound like he is
>trying to use too much technology and trying to write too many songs that
>sound like other music that is out there today. When Prince was making
>music in the 80's it was more raw and brought out more of his better
>qualities....

You bring up a lot of interesting points. I'm not reaching for the
flamethrower, because ultimately we agree... Prince/O(+> is always a cut above.
I do think, however, we can't really compare 1997 to 1983, you know? If he
sounded now like he sounded then, we'd lump him in with dinosaurs like the
Dead, The Who, Elton John and Neil Young, who never significantly deviate from
their One Sound.

The Dude's old songs are "classics" because radio/MTV/muzak *made* them
classics. You hear *anything* enough times and it's a classic, whether or not
you "like" it. Right now O(+> is living in the moment, 1997. Some might argue
he's living slightly ahead of the moment, or behind the moment, but as all
recoding technologies and popular tastes have evolved in the last 15 years, so
has He. If he put out another album that sounded like PR or 1999, do you
really think you'd embrace it lovingly? Or would you (more likely) accuse him
of going "retro" or "unplugged" like so many other dinosaurs?

Just some thoughts. I tend to hear his music not for what production or
effects he uses, but for the lyrics and the melodies... y'know, the SONGS.
Guess that makes me old-fashioned! ;)

--Mukamuk

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, POORGOO wrote:

:>SO IT APPEARS YOU DON'T CARE FOR BONE.....THAT'S NICE. WHY DID YOU THINK
:>I WOULD CARE?

Actually, I like Bone. I just don't think they're all
that original, but since you don't care, I suppose this
post is all for naught.

b true 2 u,
Patrick A. Norris

"I'd rather hear Willie Nelson than fuckin Montell Jordan."
-- Chino XL, "Riottt!!!"

personal homepage: http://www2.msstate.edu/~pan1

JuvenileHi

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

I cannot believe this newsgroup has sunk to such a low...discussing BONE?
The sorriest, crappiest, worst produced act in the history of Rap? (Well,
ok, Master P is actually the worst produced, and all of his "No Limit"
crew). The Bomb Squad wipes the floor with all these groups asses. Sorry,
but it's the truth. Puff daddy? 2 Pac? Notorious BIG? GIMME A BREAK!
What a bunch of crap. I'll take Ice Cube and Tribe Called Quest any day
over this new gansta crap that is more than even a parody of itself. I
rarely say this about any music, but this stuff is all a bunch of crap.

Lee, a gangsta no more. Are you 'Bout It? I sure as hell ain't.

Patrick Andrew Norris

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97
to JuvenileHi

On 15 Sep 1997, JuvenileHi wrote:

:>I cannot believe this newsgroup has sunk to such a low...discussing BONE?

I don't know about Ice Cube. He's kinda phoney, but I'll take
Tribe although their last album got old very quickly. Triplet
lyrics, I find tantilizing. I listen to Bone(except Wish-- oh
gawd he's the worst!), because they seem to be the sharpest at it
(that I've heard). Twista seems to be the best at the purely fast(cut
time) stuff. I also like the drum beats (esp. the snare) that the
producers tend to pair up with those kinds of lyrics... Timbaland
does it although none of his "artists" use that style of rapping
too much.

b true...
Patrick A. Norris

"I'm doing time inside a grapevine.
Little things amuse little minds."
-- The Wallflowers, "Laughing Out Loud"

personal homepage: http://www2.msstate.edu/~pan1

JuvenileHi

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

> I also like the drum beats (esp. the snare) that the
>producers tend to pair up with those kinds of lyrics... Timbaland
>does it although none of his "artists" use that style of rapping
>too much.

ok, I'll bite again. My main gripe about Bone and the new ilk of rap crap
is the lameness of the beats. That, for me, is half the battle, and these
guys (especially Master P) are the kings of casio beats or something. It
really really sucks. And Puff daddy is a horrible rapper, and an even
worse producer. Loop a Diana Ross record or a Police tune and get a hit?
Gimme a break. and don't even talk to me about that sorry ass "The
Message" song...poor Keith leblanc and doug Wimbush. their art reduced to
such crap, although I'm sure they can use the royalty checks, because
Tackhead can't be paying that much...

Lee

Dolphin

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97
to Patrick Andrew Norris

Patrick Andrew Norris eloquently wrote:

> Actually, I like Bone. I just don't think they're all
> that original, but since you don't care, I suppose this
> post is all for naught.

No, actually the post was just a suggestion for Chuck to give Bone Thugs
~N~ Harmony a "listen"....

No biggie,
Dolphin

abe...@mesa5.mesa.colorado.edu

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

In article <19970911045...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
lmsp...@aol.com (LMSpear2) wrote:

> Every track on albums such as "Controversy," "1999," "Around THe World In
> A Day," "Parade," etc was not floorless.

What do you mean by "floorless?" And if you meant flawless then what
do you mean by flaw? What was a flaw? Compared to what...?
Was there some objective code-of-rules that was broken back then?

> I'd say a lot of people are stuck on his old music because of the 1) time
> period and/or 2) feelings associated with these old songs.

...and 3.) because it was some of the most innovative and "exiting"
"rock" music since Jimi Hendrix or even Little Richard.

I'd say anyone who's educated in pop music history and even doesn't
particularly like Prince (Dirty Mind, Purple Rain, et al) would still
admit to that fact.