Instruments that Prince plays

Rudedog

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Count 27 Women and you'll have all of them :)

Rudedog

Slinks1 wrote in message <19990203010408...@ng21.aol.com>...
>I know Prince can play around 27 instruments but I don't know all the
>instuments that he can play. Does anyone have a list of all the instruments
he
>can play?

Slinks1

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

Slinks1

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Not trying to dog ya man...
>
>But listen.. When you play music the way this man CAN (note: I DIDN'T
>say DOES), then the number of instruments you play don't mean
>anything. When you PLAY music you PLAY SOUNDS and the shape or form
>of the instrument being played matters no longer. I'm sure he can
>playu the heck out of some pots and pans, and I've SEEN him play the
>heck outta some fingers tappin' on a table.... Music ain't about the
>number of instruments you play NOR the instrument itself.. It's about
>the emotion you spit out of it.

I was only curious about all the instruments that he can play, not all that
stuff! Jeezuz

Slinks1

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>I answered your question.

Ummmm....no, I want a list like:

Guitar
Bass
Drums
Piano
etc.

You get it now?

ConiMari98

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
I think we should start making one up..here's the ones that come 2 my mind :

Guitar
Piano
Bass
drums
synthisizer

Those are the only ones I can think of...do U think he is counting instruments
of the same family...such as conga's, timbales, harpsicord?

C.

-The Opposite of War isn't Peace...It's CREATION!!!!
(Jonathan Larson -RENT)

s t e p h e n

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
jeez, i think t's point is that there isn't any point trying to list how many
instruments prince can play are what they are, since there are literally countless
musical instruments and he could probably play all of them given some practice.
obviously he can play certain instruments better than others, but he plays by ear.
how could you possibly make a list and why?

ConiMari98 wrote:

stephen kavanagh potter
http://brilliantine.org
(new situation tragedy)
s...@brilliantine.org
icq: 8047041
i'll settle for a cup of coffee
but you know what i really need
r.e.m.

Max3671

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
hes always shown much talent at handclapsandfingasnaps
and Ms Poly Moog

Max3671

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Then she has "Guitar", and "Bass".. While they are in different keys,
>they are both guitars.

Most all Guitars and Basses are in the same key though I think they are very
different instruments. They are shaped the same and played with similar methods
but the way you incororate each in an ensemble or compositional situation are
conceptually worlds apart.
;-) just a thought.

Dennis Versteeg

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
On 3 Feb 1999 06:04:08 GMT, sli...@aol.com (Slinks1) brought the
following to our attention:

>I know Prince can play around 27 instruments but I don't know all the
>instuments that he can play. Does anyone have a list of all the instruments he
>can play?

Actually it's all variations on guitar, bass, drums and
piano/keyboards.

I've never seen proof he's also able in other instruments, e.g. horns,
violin, bagpipe, didgeridoo, cello, whatever...

dennis

---
Visit the Nits Concert File!
Great Music from the Netherlands
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/8445/nitsconc.html

Snow2iger

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Then she has "Guitar", and "Bass".. While they are in different keys,
>they are both guitars.

One has more strings, both require totally different techniques to play.

"Of course we wish to go ahead with impeachment...the president, with his
reckless actions, has ruined any chance of any of us getting any on the side
for the next five years or so." henry hyde

Chris Macintyre

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
I thought Prince played horns on the track "Power Fantastic"? He must know
how to play a little bit of brass!! And I also recall reading that he took
sax in high school...could this be considered "knowing how to play" these
instruments?

Regarding the guitar and bass comments...they are totally different
instruments...both require totally different types of rhythm and lead
playing. But it is true that if you are an avid guitar player, the bass is
much easier to learn to play...so they are related in that sense. I just
love playing both! And drums, too...and piano...and whatever else (move
over, Prince)!

Peace

Chris

Snow2iger

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Regarding the guitar and bass comments...they are totally different
>instruments...both require totally different types of rhythm and lead
>playing.

Mmm, yeah...that's what I said (in essence) when I stated "One has more

Chris Macintyre

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
Woops! Sorry about that, I just repeated you...duuhh...

Peace

Chris

Snow2iger

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>Nah man.. Guitar and Bass are the same. If you play guitar you
>SHOULD be able to play bass. I play sax and don't have a clue on
>strings but strings are basically strings.

Not true. They're not the same at all. Of course they're similar, but not in
the way you're talking about.

Snow2iger

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

>Well, I dunno one bass player who can't rock my world on guitar.

I couldn't...but then, with some practice...

Snow2iger

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
>>>Well, I dunno one bass player who can't rock my world on guitar.
>>

>>I couldn't...but then, with some practice...
>

>I do understand though.. I just take it that when you start out on a
>guitar, you start on GUITAR and the either move to bass or stay
>guitar. If ya start at bass you have (most of the time) 2 new strings
>to learn and so I can see whay a person starting on bass would have a
>LITTLe trouble with guitar but not the other way around.

Interesting. I don't know...maybe it depends on the musician. I knew about
someone who played guitar and thought that since the bass had only four strings
it would be easier, and later on he admitted that it wasn't---for him.

>Like the was
>I can play flute, but the mouthpiece is played differently so I have
>to learn how to play the mouthpiece., Get what I'm sayin'?

Absolutely. Plus there is a reed for the sax and not the flute.

Pamela Russell

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
I hope my response doesn't start some
type of "flame war", but I heard several
years ago that prince does NOT play 27 instruments. A former manger said
that
the"27 instrument" thing was a myth or publicity ploy,The former manager
DID
say that prince played several instruments.

Pam

Wet Willie

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
How bout the bone flute ?

Rudedog

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
Now you know that ain't a real flute, just like that Pan Flute or whatever
you call it :)

Rudedog

toratora

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
t say:

> Nah man.. Guitar and Bass are the same. If you play guitar you
> SHOULD be able to play bass. I play sax and don't have a clue on
> strings but strings are basically strings.

man, i couldn't disagree more....there's a million and one (and a half)
guitar players that think....oh, i'll play the bass part on my demo....(or
whatever)...they are soooooooo different.
guitar players hardly ever worry about locking with a drummer...or know
what the term means....i'm not belittling guitarists at all, i'm just
saying that you can't make apple pie with potatoes.

danceon....toratora

"...i couldn't look at a hairbrush for the next two months
without a note of terror, and i never heard from her again...."
(the great) David Lee Roth (1954- )

toratora

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
bass isn't about knowing your scales and your cycle of fifths and all that
stuff.........it's about the *role*......a guitar player can't normally
feel that vibe......if they do, they also gotta be able to pull it off
physically and technically; it happens but it is rare, very rare.

Daddy Pop6

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>From: conim...@aol.com (ConiMari98)

>Those are the only ones I can think of...do U think he is counting
>instruments
>of the same family...such as conga's, timbales, harpsicord?

Bingo.

Neeargh!

Doug
dP

Get off me jigger, before I get perturbed.

http://members.aol.com/DaddyPop6/index.html <-updated, even!

remove "pooponu" to reply via e-mail.

BrentLyles

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>I hope my response doesn't start some
>type of "flame war"

No you don't.

Slinks1

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>A former manger said
>that
>the"27 instrument" thing was a myth or publicity ploy,The former manager
>DID
>say that prince played several instruments.

I can believe that, I mean, there aren't even 27 popular instruments around
anyways!

Paul M

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Huh? Basses and guitars are different instruments.. I play bass very
easily but playing a guitar is a pain in the ass because the strings are
so small and close together

JuvenileHi

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>I can tell ya what he CAN'T play... HORNZ!!!!

He did play saxaphone in High school.

Lee

uh-oh. I have a new CD on the market! Check out the crappy web page for it
at: http://www.angelfire.com/va/RosebudRecords/index.html
http://members.aol.com/JuvenileHi/index.html

Bart Van Hemelen

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:54:38 GMT, T...@T.com (T) told this to the world:

>Nah man.. Guitar and Bass are the same. If you play guitar you
>SHOULD be able to play bass. I play sax and don't have a clue on
>strings but strings are basically strings.

Larry graham was a guitar player. Took on the bass cuz the band needed
it. played it like a guitar. Invented "plucking" thus...

http://www.geocities.com/~tenthousand/lg.htm for the whole story...

Bart Van Hemelen
http://www.geocities.com/~tenthousand/
--------------------------------------
"We are here... where are you?"

Bart Van Hemelen

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:29:07 GMT,
d.j.ve...@removethistoreply.tue.nl (Dennis Versteeg) told this to
the world:

>I've never seen proof he's also able in other instruments, e.g. horns,
>violin, bagpipe, didgeridoo,

those last two are really scary thoughts... imagine 1999 with
bagpipes...

Mindbells6

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>Larry graham was a guitar player. Took on the bass cuz the band needed
>it. played it like a guitar. Invented "plucking" thus...

Actually i read that Larry played bass before he met Sly,Larry used
to play bass behind his mother when they played just the two of them
in local churches. He came up with the plucking effect to compensate
for the fact they had no Drummer.
He became a one man Rythym section

Mark

Max3671

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
>Actually i read that Larry played bass before he met Sly,Larry used
>to play bass behind his mother when they played just the two of them
>in local churches. He came up with the plucking effect to compensate
>for the fact they had no Drummer.
>He became a one man Rythym section

I've always heard this story too. Heard it from him and as well as a few other
known bass players.

I agree that Guitar and Bass play completely different roles in modern music.
You cant just study one for a period of time and then just pick up the other
and understand what to do with it. Anyone who has enough musical insight to
play both would have to have studied the methods and theories of both as well
or be somewhat of a musical genious

toratora

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
yeah, i dig that.......just because p can groove around on a 5piece drum
hit, it's not exactly true to say that he's playing 8 or 9 instruments, if
you count the cymbals..........

T <T...@T.com> wrote in article <36bdbd6f...@news.mindspring.com>...
> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 00:10:52 -0500 (EST), PAU...@webtv.net (Paul M)
> wrote:I Watch As You Sleep.....

> >Huh? Basses and guitars are different instruments.. I play bass very
> >easily but playing a guitar is a pain in the ass because the strings are
> >so small and close together
>

> I know I know.. OK Bass and guitar are SORTA different but I stil
> stand that strings are all in a group together and I don't really
> think that you can count this as playing so many different
> instruments. Keyboards are Piano's that can be tweaked and Prince
> saying he plays a Moog is just saying he plays a piano. Cowbell is
> the same as playing a hat or ride.... get where I'm comming from?

Max3671

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
I have a Prince comic book that says he started playin music with a saxaphone.
:-)

If its in the comics then it must be true....right?

I heard a few different numbers refering to how many instruments prince plays
but I always assumed they were including stuff like finger cymbals and
tamborine and things like that. I guess you can say those are all different
instruments.
I'm sure prince at one time or another has tried his hand at many different
instruments and probably played something cool on each one.

HaSSaSSiN

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
songs with Bagpipes I dig " Roots-Do u want more" and" Silent
Boatmen-Parliament" Thats 2 nice

Rick .T

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
well here's my list:

mayte
carman
cat
sheila
rosie ? (eeewww i hope not)
wendy
lisa
sussanah
kirsty ally
the twins from zannalee and 18&over videos
the girl from the L41A experience
diamond
pearl
the girl who's name i can't spell from Graffiti bridge
jill jones
vanity
apollonia
rhonda
marva
nona gaye

thats 21 and i can't think of any others--

if u can read this thank a teacher.
this message was brought 2 u by
lil ricky
toratora <1eye...@space.net> wrote in message
<01be5067$650da840$8e04c6d1@clyde>...

Kilio

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
>those last two are really scary thoughts... imagine 1999 with
>bagpipes...

Does anyone remember the Black guy on Arsenio who played the jazz on the
bagpipes. I want his CD. I know Hass can help me, he's the best;-)

Kilio
**Black History Month**
1999-The world honors those who died while crossing the Middle Passage.
Monuments on land & in the deep blue seas will mark where cruelty took away the
last breath of millions. Learn more here http://www.middlepassage.org/

Bart Van Hemelen

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
On 4 Feb 1999 16:07:46 GMT, mindb...@aol.com (Mindbells6) told this
to the world:

>>Larry graham was a guitar player. Took on the bass cuz the band needed

>>it. played it like a guitar. Invented "plucking" thus...
>

>Actually i read that Larry played bass before he met Sly,Larry used
>to play bass behind his mother when they played just the two of them
>in local churches. He came up with the plucking effect to compensate
>for the fact they had no Drummer.
>He became a one man Rythym section

Damn... go to my website (URL below) about him and READ the entire
story STRAIGHT from the source: I've compiled dozens of quotes from
Larry...

Alternatively, check out www.sevenmag.com.au for an article about
Larry which is basically the same info condensated into one decent
article... Larry later added some info to clarify things...

He played GUITAR first (before he joined S&TFS), then went on to BASS,
then got picked up by Sly... What's so hard about understanding that?

Dammit, I've read dozens of articles about it and give you this info
for free ONLINE (one mouseclick away) but instead you go "no no no I
know this better" and start remeniscing...

They didn't play in churches, they played in NIGHTCLUBS. He played
guitar, then moved to bass cuz their organ broke down, then invented
plucking to compensate for their drummer leaving...

This is the short version, now read the ENTIRE story at my site.

HaSSaSSiN

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
all i know from arsenio hall is michael wolf the keyboardist i never did see
many arsenio shows. bagpipes?? damn hmm Thats a question for avant
garde newsgroup. bluenote somewhat has alot of people who might know .
might want to check on "rec.music.bluenote"

Rudedog

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
In a radio interview I have with Eric Leeds, he said he, Altanta Bliss,
Lisa, and Prince did that in one take. Eric/Altanta on horns, Lisa was
upstairs on the grand piano(the rest of the band saw her on a monitor),
Prince on whatever. I believe this song was cut in Prince's home at the
time, seein how Paisley wasn't built yet. Great story behind that song.

Rudedog

Chris Macintyre wrote in message ...
>I thought Prince played horns on the track "Power Fantastic"? He must know
>how to play a little bit of brass!! And I also recall reading that he took
>sax in high school...could this be considered "knowing how to play" these
>instruments?

Rick .T

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

>>He played GUITAR first (before he joined S&TFS), then went on >>to BASS,
>>then got picked up by Sly... What's so hard about understanding >>that?

thats what the 2 posts above just said
--

if u can read this thank a teacher.
this message was brought 2 u by
lil ricky

Bart Van Hemelen wrote in message
<36c2e0a8...@news.planetinternet.be>...

Kilio

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99

Thanks Hass
I just knew you would have the answer<sigh> a hero takes a fall;-)

Santos

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Organ are diferrent from pianos, lots of peoples plays piano and do not
plays organs, bass are different from guitars... etc... and i play
guitar and i don't play 12 strings guitar for example...
So here is my list:

Keys:

1. Piano
2. Funky Clavi
3. Organ
4. Accordion
5. Keyboards/Synthy

Strings:

6. Guitar
7. 12 string guitar
8. Viola
9. Sitar
10. Cello
11. Violin
12. Harp
13. Bass
14. Contrabass
15. Banjo
16. Fiddle

Beat:

17. Percussion
18. Drums

Brass:

19. Trumpet
20. Tuba
21. Oboe
22. Trombone

Reed:

23. Sax
24. Clarinet

Wind:

25. Flute
26. Harmonica
27. Whistle

He could play this for example... what's the problem, after that you
mastered One of each of this sections... it's not very difficult to
plays the others...

Kilio

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
>Damn... go to my website (URL below) about him and READ the entire
>story STRAIGHT from the source: I've compiled dozens of quotes from
>Larry...

My God you have an entire site dedicated to the man you hate the most.....I am
extremely confused.