History Of Prince's Music Releases A-Z

Princeboot2001

Jun 10, 2001, 2:15:36 AM6/10/01

Few artists have created a body of work as rich and varied as Prince. During
the '80s, he emerged as one of the most singular talents of the rock & roll
era, capable of seamlessly tying together pop, funk, folk, and rock. Not only
did he release a series of groundbreaking albums, he toured frequently,
produced albums and wrote songs for many other artists, and recorded hundreds
of songs that still lie unreleased in his vaults. With each album he has
released, Prince has shown remarkable stylistic growth and musical diversity,
constantly experimenting with different sounds, textures, and genres.
Occasionally, his music can be maddeningly inconsistent because of this
eclecticism, but his experiments frequently succeed; no other contemporary
artist can blend so many diverse styles into a cohesive whole.
Prince's first two albums were solid, if unremarkable, late '70s funk-pop. With
1980's Dirty Mind, he recorded his first masterpiece, a one-man tour de force
of sex and music; it was hard funk, catchy Beatlesque melodies, sweet soul
ballads, and rocking guitar-pop, all at once. The follow-up, Controversy, was
more of the same, but 1999 was brilliant. The album was a monster hit, selling
over three million copies, but it was nothing compared to 1984's Purple Rain.

Purple Rain made Prince a superstar; it eventually sold over ten million copies
in the U.S. and spent twenty-four weeks at number one. Partially recorded with
his touring band The Revolution, the record featured the most pop-oriented
music he has ever made. Instead of continuing in this accessible direction, he
veered off into the bizarre psycho-psychedelia of Around the World in a Day
(1985), which nevertheless sold over two million copies. In 1986, he released
the even stranger Parade, which was in its own way was as ambitious and
intricate as any art-rock of the '60s; however, no art-rock was ever grounded
with a hit as brilliant as the spare funk of "Kiss."

By 1987, Prince's ambitions were growing by leaps and bounds, resulting in the
sprawling masterpiece Sign O' the Times. Prince was set to release the hard
funk of The Black Album by the end of the year, yet he withdrew it just before
its release, deciding it was too dark and immoral. Instead, he released the
confused Lovesexy in 1988, which was a commercial disaster. With the soundtrack
to 1989's Batman he returned to the top of the charts, even if the album was
essentially a recap of everything he had done before. The following year he
released Graffiti Bridge, the sequel to Purple Rain, which turned out to be a
considerable commercial disappointment.

In 1991, Prince formed The New Power Generation, the most versatile and
talented best band he has ever assembled. With their first album, Diamonds and
Pearls, Prince reasserted his mastery of contemporary R&B; it was his biggest
hit since 1985. The following year, he released his twelfth album, which was
titled with a cryptic symbol; in 1993, Prince legally changed his name to the
symbol. In 1994, after becoming embroiled in contract disagreements with Warner
Brothers, he independently released the single "The Most Beautiful Girl in the
World," likely to illustrate what he would be capable of on his own; the song
became his biggest hit in years. Later that summer, Warner released the
somewhat half-hearted Come under the name of Prince; the record was a moderate
success, going gold.

In November 1994, as part of a contractual obligation, Prince agreed to the
official release of The Black Album. In early 1995, he immersed himself in
another legal battle with Warner, proclaiming himself a slave and refusing to
deliver his new record, The Gold Experience, for release. By the end of the
summer, a fed-up Warner had negotiated a compromise which guaranteed the
album's release, plus one final record for the label. The Gold Experience was
issued in the fall; although it received good reviews and was following a smash
single, it failed to catch fire commercially. In the summer of 1996, Prince
released Chaos & Disorder, which freed him to become an independent artist.
Setting up his own label, NPG (which was distributed by EMI), he resurfaced
later that same year with the three-disc Emancipation, which was designed as a
magnum opus that would spin off singles for several years and be supported with
several tours. However, even his devoted cult following needed considerable
time to digest such an enormous compilation of songs. Once it was clear that
Emancipation wasn't the commercial blockbuster he hoped it would be, Prince
assembled a long-awaited collection of outtakes and unreleased material called
Crystal Ball in 1998. With Crystal Ball, Prince discovered that it's much more
difficult to get records to an audience than it seems; some fans who
pre-ordered their copies through Prince's website (from which a bonus fifth
disc was included) didn't receive them until months after the set began
appearing in stores. Prince then released a new one-man album, New Power Soul,
just three months after Crystal Ball; even though it was his most
straightforward album since Diamonds and Pearls, it didn't do well on the
charts, partially because many listeners didn't realize it had been released.

A year later, with "1999" predictably an end-of-the-milennium anthem, Prince
issued the remix collection 1999 (The New Master). A collection of Warner
Bros.-era leftovers, Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale, followed that summer, and in
the fall Prince returned on Arista with the all-star Rave Un2 the Joy
Fantastic.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Bart Van Hemelen

Jun 10, 2001, 6:24:07 AM6/10/01
On 10 Jun 2001 06:15:36 GMT, princeb...@cs.com (Princeboot2001)
told alt.music.prince the following on the subject "History Of
Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

>in 1993, Prince legally changed his name to the
>symbol.

Sure...

>In 1994, after becoming embroiled in contract disagreements with Warner
>Brothers, he independently released the single "The Most Beautiful Girl in the
>World," likely to illustrate what he would be capable of on his own;

Wrong...

>In November 1994, as part of a contractual obligation, Prince agreed to the
>official release of The Black Album.

Wrong...

> In early 1995, he immersed himself in
>another legal battle with Warner, proclaiming himself a slave and refusing to
>deliver his new record, The Gold Experience, for release. By the end of the
>summer, a fed-up Warner had negotiated a compromise which guaranteed the
>album's release, plus one final record for the label.

Wrong...

>Setting up his own label, NPG

Wrong...

>Once it was clear that
>Emancipation wasn't the commercial blockbuster he hoped it would be, Prince
>assembled a long-awaited collection of outtakes and unreleased material called
>Crystal Ball in 1998.

Wrong...

--
Bart Van Hemelen
http://pr1nc3.com/BVH/
"Room 101", BBC 2, January 19, 2001

TheLodger

Jun 10, 2001, 7:15:28 AM6/10/01
Damn, looks like he got it spot on then :-)

--
TheLodger.

Eric Benchimol

Jun 10, 2001, 8:02:38 AM6/10/01
Uhhh... Bart, what are you talking about? Normally you get your information
pretty correct, but most of the things you said were wrong are actually
correct!

In article <0hi6it4915tom8ai1...@4ax.com>,

tenthousa...@yahoo.com wrote:
>On 10 Jun 2001 06:15:36 GMT, princeb...@cs.com (Princeboot2001)
>told alt.music.prince the following on the subject "History Of
>Prince's Music Releases A-Z":
>
>>in 1993, Prince legally changed his name to the
>>symbol.
>
>Sure...

Okay, so the name wasn't changed 'legally'. this one is an overstatement.

>>In 1994, after becoming embroiled in contract disagreements with Warner
>>Brothers, he independently released the single "The Most Beautiful Girl in the
>>World," likely to illustrate what he would be capable of on his own;
>
>Wrong...

Actually, correct. TMBGITW was released as a single in February, 1994 on the
Bellmark label. How is this wrong?

>>In November 1994, as part of a contractual obligation, Prince agreed to the
>>official release of The Black Album.
>
>Wrong...

This is correct! It was released on November 22, 1994. And, TBA was indeed
released as a contract obligation... Prince released it because WB allowed it
to count towards his final albums and it allowed him to get out of his
contract sooner.

>> In early 1995, he immersed himself in
>>another legal battle with Warner, proclaiming himself a slave and refusing to
>>deliver his new record, The Gold Experience, for release. By the end of the
>>summer, a fed-up Warner had negotiated a compromise which guaranteed the
>>album's release, plus one final record for the label.
>
>Wrong...

Two final records for the label (including The Vault).

>>Setting up his own label, NPG
>
>Wrong...

True! What's wrong with this? NPG Records is Prince's own label and was used
for Exodus prior to tGE. tGE was the first WB release to bare the NPG label.

>>Once it was clear that
>>Emancipation wasn't the commercial blockbuster he hoped it would be, Prince
>>assembled a long-awaited collection of outtakes and unreleased material called
>>Crystal Ball in 1998.
>
>Wrong...

What's wrong with this? Crystal Ball was released in 1998.

>> A collection of Warner
>>Bros.-era leftovers, Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale, followed that summer
>
>Wrong...

Assuming he meant summer of 1999, what's wrong with this?

Eric

Bart Van Hemelen

Jun 10, 2001, 8:33:02 AM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:02:38 GMT, eri...@home.com (Eric Benchimol)
told alt.music.prince the following on the subject "Re: History Of

Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

>Uhhh... Bart, what are you talking about? Normally you get your information

>pretty correct, but most of the things you said were wrong are actually
>correct!

Wrong...

>>>In 1994, after becoming embroiled in contract disagreements with Warner
>>>Brothers, he independently released the single "The Most Beautiful Girl in the
>>>World," likely to illustrate what he would be capable of on his own;
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>Actually, correct. TMBGITW was released as a single in February, 1994 on the
>Bellmark label. How is this wrong?

The poster made it seem like Prince worked seperate from WB. Fact is,
this was part of the deal he struck with WB regarding the closure of
PPR. Prince was *allowed* to release it independently, matter of fact
the deal explicitly prohibited Prince from involving any WB companies
in this release.

>>>In November 1994, as part of a contractual obligation, Prince agreed to the
>>>official release of The Black Album.
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>This is correct! It was released on November 22, 1994. And, TBA was indeed
>released as a contract obligation... Prince released it because WB allowed it
>to count towards his final albums and it allowed him to get out of his
>contract sooner.

No, TBA was part of a deal Prince made with WB, TBA was linked with
TGE. However, in the end the deal didn't exactly happen when WB
management changed. Read Oct 25, 1994 in DOW: Prince got $1 million
for the release of TBA. The above statement makes it look like Prince
was a victim, DOW clearly states that the release is the result of
negotiations which involved Prince very much.

>>> In early 1995, he immersed himself in
>>>another legal battle with Warner, proclaiming himself a slave and refusing to
>>>deliver his new record, The Gold Experience, for release. By the end of the
>>>summer, a fed-up Warner had negotiated a compromise which guaranteed the
>>>album's release, plus one final record for the label.
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>Two final records for the label (including The Vault).

Wrong. At that moment Prince still had to do 4 records for WB. They
became: TGE, C&D and The Vault. WB dropped the 4th album when it
became clear in early 1996 that the situation was hopeless. April 26,
1996 in DOW.

>>>Setting up his own label, NPG
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>True! What's wrong with this? NPG Records is Prince's own label and was used
>for Exodus prior to tGE. tGE was the first WB release to bare the NPG label.

NPG Records was set up in 1994, not 1996. Levi was head of it. DOW Feb
14 1994.

>>>Once it was clear that
>>>Emancipation wasn't the commercial blockbuster he hoped it would be, Prince
>>>assembled a long-awaited collection of outtakes and unreleased material called
>>>Crystal Ball in 1998.
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>What's wrong with this? Crystal Ball was released in 1998.

CB was mentioned/advertised on Emancipation, which makes the above
statement BS.

>>> A collection of Warner
>>>Bros.-era leftovers, Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale, followed that summer
>>
>>Wrong...
>
>Assuming he meant summer of 1999, what's wrong with this?

It implies WB compiled the record. April 26, 1996 in DOW clearly
explains that TV was one of two final records Prince gave to WB.

Eric Benchimol

Jun 10, 2001, 8:56:33 AM6/10/01
Bart, why do you correct people on semantics? Let me illustrate below...

In article <cfp6itct75etcqpgs...@4ax.com>,

tenthousa...@yahoo.com wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:02:38 GMT, eri...@home.com (Eric Benchimol)
>told alt.music.prince the following on the subject "Re: History Of
>Prince's Music Releases A-Z":
>
>>Uhhh... Bart, what are you talking about? Normally you get your information
>>pretty correct, but most of the things you said were wrong are actually
>>correct!
>
>Wrong...

> the
>>>
>>>Wrong...
>>
>>Actually, correct. TMBGITW was released as a single in February, 1994 on the
>>Bellmark label. How is this wrong?
>
>The poster made it seem like Prince worked seperate from WB. Fact is,
>this was part of the deal he struck with WB regarding the closure of
>PPR. Prince was *allowed* to release it independently, matter of fact
>the deal explicitly prohibited Prince from involving any WB companies
>in this release.

All he said was it was released independently! This is correct! The only
reason Prince fought for it to be released independently was because he was
unhappy with WB. It DID in fact stem from the dispute with WB, despite WB
giving him permission - he would have had to get permission since he was
signed to contract. The above statement is correct.

>>>Wrong...
>>
>>This is correct! It was released on November 22, 1994. And, TBA was indeed
>>released as a contract obligation... Prince released it because WB allowed it
>
>>to count towards his final albums and it allowed him to get out of his
>>contract sooner.
>
>No, TBA was part of a deal Prince made with WB, TBA was linked with
>TGE. However, in the end the deal didn't exactly happen when WB
>management changed. Read Oct 25, 1994 in DOW: Prince got $1 million
>for the release of TBA. The above statement makes it look like Prince
>was a victim, DOW clearly states that the release is the result of
>negotiations which involved Prince very much.

No, it was not part of the original deal signed in 1991. It was added in
Oct/94 because of the contract dispute. WB thought they could make a quick
buck because Prince refused to allow them to release new material. They
figured at least they could get brand-name recognition with the Black Album
and would sell some records. Because of this deal, WB dropped one extra
record from the contract (because Prince was so against releasing the Black
Album).

Please don't quote DoW to me - I edited the damn book!

>>>Wrong...
>>
>>Two final records for the label (including The Vault).
>
>Wrong. At that moment Prince still had to do 4 records for WB. They
>became: TGE, C&D and The Vault. WB dropped the 4th album when it
>became clear in early 1996 that the situation was hopeless. April 26,
>1996 in DOW.

If you count tGE, it was actually 3 records (2 if you don't count tGE). The
fourth record was dropped when Prince released The Black Album in 1994. At
least that's the rumour since no one was in the negotiations for the Black
Album. I definitely remember the rumour being that one album was dropped
because of the Black Album's release... This was before tGE of C&D.

>>>Wrong...
>>
>>True! What's wrong with this? NPG Records is Prince's own label and was used
>
>>for Exodus prior to tGE. tGE was the first WB release to bare the NPG label.
>
>NPG Records was set up in 1994, not 1996. Levi was head of it. DOW Feb
>14 1994.

Yes, NPG Records was set up after Paisley Park's dissolution. I suppose
you're right on this one. tGE was the first WB release for NPG Records,
though.

> called
>>>
>>>Wrong...
>>
>>What's wrong with this? Crystal Ball was released in 1998.
>
>CB was mentioned/advertised on Emancipation, which makes the above
>statement BS.

Yeah, but it hadn't been compiled until 1997. If you check my article in
Uptown (Ha! now I quote Uptown to you! :) ), in 1997 he was still advertising
it as a 3-CD and 4-CD set. The final configuration was made in 1997. It was
released in 1998. This is what I meant by semantics - when someone says an
album was compiled in 1998, they are usually referring to the release date.
No one but us detail-hounds care when the tracklisting was actually compiled
and a pressing made of it.

>>>Wrong...
>>
>>Assuming he meant summer of 1999, what's wrong with this?
>
>It implies WB compiled the record. April 26, 1996 in DOW clearly
>explains that TV was one of two final records Prince gave to WB.

Again, semantics. If you look at what he said, "A collection of WB-era
leftovers, Vault, followed that summer." Indeed, the Vault was released in
1999 and thus its release followed whatever came in the paragraph before. His
semantics are correct, while yours are not. He's not talking about when it
was submitted to WB but when it was released!

Eric

Aerogram

Jun 10, 2001, 10:04:29 AM6/10/01
LIsten to Eric. DOW, p.234

--
________________________
<something>
"Bart Van Hemelen" <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Bart Van Hemelen

Jun 10, 2001, 10:42:56 AM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:56:33 GMT, eri...@home.com (Eric Benchimol)

told alt.music.prince the following on the subject "Re: History Of
Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

>Bart, why do you correct people on semantics?

The bio pretended Prince was a victim of a major label. He wasn't.

>> the

>>>Actually, correct. TMBGITW was released as a single in February, 1994 on the
>>>Bellmark label. How is this wrong?
>>
>>The poster made it seem like Prince worked seperate from WB. Fact is,
>>this was part of the deal he struck with WB regarding the closure of
>>PPR. Prince was *allowed* to release it independently, matter of fact
>>the deal explicitly prohibited Prince from involving any WB companies
>>in this release.
>
>All he said was it was released independently! This is correct!

No, he said: "In 1994, after becoming embroiled in contract

disagreements with Warner Brothers, he independently released the
single The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, likely to illustrate what

he would be capable of on his own".

> The only
>reason Prince fought for it to be released independently was because he was
>unhappy with WB. It DID in fact stem from the dispute with WB, despite WB
>giving him permission - he would have had to get permission since he was
>signed to contract. The above statement is correct.

But not when you look at the larger picture of the bio. This release
is hailed as a bold move by Prince, while it was in fact condoned by
WB and part of a larger deal.

The "independence" part of the release had less to do with Prince
wanting to release the single independently than with WB forcing him
to do so by refusing him access to their resources.

>>>This is correct! It was released on November 22, 1994. And, TBA was indeed
>>>released as a contract obligation... Prince released it because WB allowed it
>>
>>>to count towards his final albums and it allowed him to get out of his
>>>contract sooner.
>>
>>No, TBA was part of a deal Prince made with WB, TBA was linked with
>>TGE. However, in the end the deal didn't exactly happen when WB
>>management changed. Read Oct 25, 1994 in DOW: Prince got $1 million
>>for the release of TBA. The above statement makes it look like Prince
>>was a victim, DOW clearly states that the release is the result of
>>negotiations which involved Prince very much.
>
>No, it was not part of the original deal signed in 1991. It was added in
>Oct/94 because of the contract dispute.

Oct 25, 1994 in DOW:

Original deal was $4 million upfront for Prince in exchange for TBA
(Nov 94 release) and TGE (early 95 release), plus a soundtrack. These
3 albums would count as 2 towards the remaining 4 on Prince's
contract.
Deal got cancelled while P's attorney was on road to pick up the
cheque at WB because P wanted more $. Attorney adviced him against the
change of mind, deal still got cancelled, attorney quit a week later.
(This is when Londell entered the picture.)
Waronker & Ostin who were leaving WB at that time still managed to
keep TBA and paid Prince $1 million.

No mention of TBA counting towards the final deal, IMHO and judging
from later entries in DOW -- particularly April 26, 1996 -- TBA didn't
count towards the deal.

>WB thought they could make a quick
>buck because Prince refused to allow them to release new material. They
>figured at least they could get brand-name recognition with the Black Album
>and would sell some records. Because of this deal, WB dropped one extra
>record from the contract (because Prince was so against releasing the Black
>Album).

Doesn't say so in DOW.

>Please don't quote DoW to me - I edited the damn book!

Then read it again.

>>>Two final records for the label (including The Vault).
>>
>>Wrong. At that moment Prince still had to do 4 records for WB. They
>>became: TGE, C&D and The Vault. WB dropped the 4th album when it
>>became clear in early 1996 that the situation was hopeless. April 26,
>>1996 in DOW.
>
>If you count tGE, it was actually 3 records (2 if you don't count tGE). The
>fourth record was dropped when Prince released The Black Album in 1994. At
>least that's the rumour since no one was in the negotiations for the Black
>Album. I definitely remember the rumour being that one album was dropped
>because of the Black Album's release... This was before tGE of C&D.

Rumor, rumor... Read DOW, entry for April 26, 1996.

>>>True! What's wrong with this? NPG Records is Prince's own label and was used
>>
>>>for Exodus prior to tGE. tGE was the first WB release to bare the NPG label.
>>
>>NPG Records was set up in 1994, not 1996. Levi was head of it. DOW Feb
>>14 1994.
>
>Yes, NPG Records was set up after Paisley Park's dissolution. I suppose
>you're right on this one. tGE was the first WB release for NPG Records,
>though.

You're still not reading what was written:

>In the summer of 1996, Prince
>released Chaos & Disorder, which freed him to become an independent artist.
>Setting up his own label, NPG (which was distributed by EMI), he resurfaced
>later that same year with the three-disc Emancipation

He claims NPG was set up in the summer of 1996 for Emancipation.

>> called

>>>What's wrong with this? Crystal Ball was released in 1998.
>>
>>CB was mentioned/advertised on Emancipation, which makes the above
>>statement BS.
>
>Yeah, but it hadn't been compiled until 1997.

But it wasn't assembled -- and certainly not in 1998 -- as a reaction
to Emancipation's failure, as claimed above.

> If you check my article in
>Uptown (Ha! now I quote Uptown to you! :) ), in 1997 he was still advertising
>it as a 3-CD and 4-CD set. The final configuration was made in 1997. It was
>released in 1998. This is what I meant by semantics - when someone says an
>album was compiled in 1998, they are usually referring to the release date.
>No one but us detail-hounds care when the tracklisting was actually compiled
>and a pressing made of it.

That wasn't my point. CB was a planned release before Emancipation had
hit the shops.

Bart Van Hemelen

Jun 10, 2001, 1:19:42 PM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:42:56 +0200, Bart Van Hemelen
<tenthousa...@yahoo.com> told alt.music.prince the following on

the subject "Re: History Of Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

>>Please don't quote DoW to me - I edited the damn book!
>
>Then read it again.

2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
realised I was right.

phUnk

Jun 10, 2001, 1:33:57 PM6/10/01

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:42:56 +0200, Bart Van Hemelen
> <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> told alt.music.prince the following on
> the subject "Re: History Of Prince's Music Releases A-Z":
>
> >>Please don't quote DoW to me - I edited the damn book!
> >
> >Then read it again.
>
> 2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
> realised I was right.
>

> --
> Bart Van Hemelen
! =-----

<schwishhhh> bart iverson lands another from the deep corner!!

Aerogram

Jun 10, 2001, 1:44:29 PM6/10/01
> > 2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
> > realised I was right.

In addition to the fact that Eric isn't required to be glued to his computer
to answer your replies, it is Sunday and he's probably having brunch like so
many normal folks.

--
________________________
<something>
"phUnk" <unc...@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Bart Van Hemelen" <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:42:56 +0200, Bart Van Hemelen
> > <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> told alt.music.prince the following on
> > the subject "Re: History Of Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

> > >Then read it again.

Eric Benchimol

Jun 10, 2001, 3:49:01 PM6/10/01
In article <4va7it8i0pc0r2rav...@4ax.com>, tenthousa...@yahoo.com wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:42:56 +0200, Bart Van Hemelen
><tenthousa...@yahoo.com> told alt.music.prince the following on
>the subject "Re: History Of Prince's Music Releases A-Z":
>
>>>Please don't quote DoW to me - I edited the damn book!
>>
>>Then read it again.
>
>2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
>realised I was right.

No, Bart, I gave up. You win. It's really not worth arguing over semantics
and details. I made my point in the first message, and I just don't want to
dwell on it...

Eric

Eric Benchimol

Jun 10, 2001, 3:50:05 PM6/10/01
In article <1mOU6.186604$eK2.42...@news4.rdc1.on.home.com>, "Aerogram" <aero...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > 2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
>> > realised I was right.
>> >

>In addition to the fact that Eric isn't required to be glued to his computer
>to answer your replies, it is Sunday and he's probably having brunch like so
>many normal folks.

Well, actually, I was watching the movie Exit Wounds (not bad... not great).
Now, I'm going to see Shrek, then I have to go to work, so I won't be replying
to Bart's post in the next 12 hours or so. :)

Eric

JeePee

Jun 10, 2001, 4:12:17 PM6/10/01
Eric Benchimol wrote:

Exactly 2,5 hours later. How do you do that????

JeePee
--
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why people look intelligent, until you hear them speak.

Rudedog

Jun 10, 2001, 4:59:16 PM6/10/01

"Aerogram" <aero...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > 2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
> > > realised I was right.
> > >

> In addition to the fact that Eric isn't required to be glued to his
computer
> to answer your replies, it is Sunday and he's probably having brunch like
so
> many normal folks.

LOL! Yeah, where is Bart now to reply to Eric's post? I usually get a 2-10
day turnaround when I argue against Bart.

Rudedog

Bart Van Hemelen

Jun 11, 2001, 3:50:30 AM6/11/01
Here's what eri...@home.com (Eric Benchimol) told "alt.music.prince"
on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:49:01 GMT on the subject of "Re: History Of

Prince's Music Releases A-Z":

>>>Then read it again.
>>
>>2.5+ hours later and still no reply. I guess Eric's looked it up and
>>realised I was right.
>
>No, Bart, I gave up. You win. It's really not worth arguing over semantics
>and details.

"Semantics"? Yeah right...

SHORT VERSION (long, unedited version at the bottom):

1. Prince did not release TBA as part of a "contractual obligation",
nor did TBA count towards the $100 million deal. The Oct 25, 1994 and
April 26, 1996 entries in Days Of Wild CLEARLY do not count TBA
towards the deal. You might have edited the book, but I was paying a
lot of attention to Prince in those days and I clearly remember the
details. My "version" is backed up by Uptown's articles and by DOW,
all you could come up with was a bunch of vague rumors you didn't
remember all that clearly:

>>If you count tGE, it was actually 3 records (2 if you don't count tGE). The
>>fourth record was dropped when Prince released The Black Album in 1994. At
>>least that's the rumour since no one was in the negotiations for the Black
>>Album. I definitely remember the rumour being that one album was dropped
>>because of the Black Album's release... This was before tGE of C&D.

2. In the Summer of 1995, Prince still had to deliver 4 -- FOUR --
records to WB, not 2 or 3. This is confirmed by the entry for April
26, 1996 in DOW. First up was TGE, then in early 1996 Prince delivered
his final 2 records to WB, C&D and TV-OF4S. The fourth album was
dropped.

3. NPG Records wasn't set up "in the summer of 1996", to release
Emancipation. In fact -- and here I have to correct myself -- NPG
Records as a labelname first appeared on the 1993 album by The NPG,
Gold Nigga. It didn't become an actual record label until early 1994,
when it released TMBGITW.

4. CB was not assembled -- and certainly not in 1998 (since the CDs
clearly say "(c) 1997") -- as a reaction to Emancipation's failure.

>I made my point in the first message, and I just don't want to
>dwell on it...

Funny how you came to that realisation after I wrote what follows
next...

LONG, UNEDITED VERSION:

Here's what Bart Van Hemelen <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> told
"alt.music.prince" on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:42:56 +0200 on the subject