The Lewis Conection LP

Jolene Davies

Sep 22, 2003, 10:57:27 PM9/22/03
So how much is an original of this worth? Has one ever gone on Ebay?

Calhoun Square

Sep 23, 2003, 2:08:18 PM9/23/03
why, do u have one for sale? ;)

Jolene Davies

Sep 23, 2003, 10:50:31 PM9/23/03

"Calhoun Square" <calhoun_...@freesurf.fr> wrote in message

> why, do u have one for sale? ;)

I have one, but not for sale. It's just that it's the only Prince thing I
have that I don't have any idea of the value of.

Calhoun Square

Sep 24, 2003, 2:04:27 AM9/24/03
i think it's hard to estimate something about that album, there are so
very little quantity available. The problem is that this album is
unknown for most of the people, so it is not sought-after and the value
might not be so high (not as the "51 Hours" 12" promo only made at 30
ex. for example).

Jolene Davies

Sep 24, 2003, 9:35:31 AM9/24/03

> i think it's hard to estimate something about that album, there are so
> very little quantity available. The problem is that this album is
> unknown for most of the people, so it is not sought-after and the value
> might not be so high (not as the "51 Hours" 12" promo only made at 30
> ex. for example).

Yeah, I know there are supposed to be not too many "51 Hours" 12"s, but they
do seem to come up of Ebay once every couple of months, so I don't really
believe the 30 figure.
And The Lewis Conection is fairly unknown. But whenever I mention I have
one, I always get private emails or orgnotes asking me to sell/trade, so
their is definately a market. And I've never seen one for sale other than
the one I bought, and I spent 6 years looking for that.

Jolene Davies

Sep 24, 2003, 10:55:34 AM9/24/03

"Jolene Davies" <Jolene....@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, I know there are supposed to be not too many "51 Hours" 12"s, but
they
> do seem to come up of Ebay once every couple of months, so I don't really
> believe the 30 figure.
> And The Lewis Conection is fairly unknown. But whenever I mention I have
> one, I always get private emails or orgnotes asking me to sell/trade, so
> their is definately a market. And I've never seen one for sale other than
> the one I bought, and I spent 6 years looking for that.

Also, the "51 Hours" 12" was instantly recognised as a collectors item, and
treasured as such. I'm sure many copies of The Lewis Conection have been
thrown out or destroyed because the owners didn't know what they had. After
all, it's not exactly a great LP, and who would have known back in '79, or
the early 80's that Prince would get so popular, and the record would become
sought after. I personally think that The Lewis Conection is FAR rarer than
'51 Hours".

Calhoun Square

Sep 24, 2003, 3:00:03 PM9/24/03

by the way, any possibility to have a mp3 rip of it :)

MG

Sep 24, 2003, 7:00:35 PM9/24/03
I keep hearing about this album.
It is any good? Who does it sound like? -Mg

Jolene Davies

Sep 24, 2003, 10:25:23 PM9/24/03

"MG" <gra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I keep hearing about this album.
> It is any good? Who does it sound like? -Mg

It's kind of amateur unfocused 70's funk. There are 6 tracks, 'Get up',
'Higher', 'Feel good to ya', 'Got to be something here', 'Dynamic duo' &
'Mr. G'. Prince appears on one track. Most of the tracks are instrumental
funk jams, with a few vocals thrown in here and there. Only 'Got to be
something here' could be regarded as a proper focused song.

'Got to be something here' which is far and away the best track, was written
by Sonny T, who also sings lead vocal, while Prince plays guitar and
background vocals. Sonny T also sings on 'Higher' & 'Feel good to ya'.

It was released locally in Minneapolis in 1979 in limited quantities, and
was partially recorded at Moonsound. Chris Moon also took the cover photo,
which show 5 members, although only one, Pierre Lewis (who was also in 94
East) appears on every track. A young Sonny T is also pictured.

I'm only on dial-up, but if someone with broadband wants to post it to abmp,
I could send them a CDr.

Sep 30, 2003, 10:41:05 PM9/30/03

Jolene.

Being the person who actually FOUND the box of (actually around 20) 51
Hrs. 12"s. I can verify the legitimacy of the estiimated numbers
known to exist. I still have three or four left and the rest all went
to the more hardcore collectors who then in turn sold them themselves
which is why it looks as if there are a number higher than 20 or so
out there.

I do have a CDR of the Lewis Connection but no copy myself. That's
the final "need" in my connection.

Shoot me an e-mail if you woulcd because I would certainly like to get
a copy of it from you if possible. and maybe I could pursuade you to
part with your copy (?) :)

TIS...@yahoo.com