Please help with a few questions

murole

May 9, 2004, 11:14:39 PM5/9/04
Some of these might be dumb, but I'm just curious.

When was the Revolution band formed? (it doesn't have to include Wendy, does
it?)

How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?

How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.

How long did he go by the symbol before changing it back to Prince?

Does he still call his current band the "NPG"?

If the NPG was disbanded, how many years altogether was there an NPG band he
recorded and toured with?

If in fact it's true that he no longer rides with Larry Graham, how many
years was he under the influence of LG?

I know I have more, but I can't remember them all at the moment.

Thank you

Spicknspan

May 10, 2004, 1:34:13 AM5/10/04

"murole" <mm...@hoxmail.com> wrote in message

> Some of these might be dumb, but I'm just curious.
>

> When was the Revolution band formed? (it doesn't have to include Wendy,
does
> it?)

The name 'The Revolution' first appeared on the 1999 album cover in 1982,
and the group disbanded in 1986.

> How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?

22nd April 1985 (ATWIAD) - 12th October 1993 (George Clinton's Hey Man Smell
My Finger), although a couple of singles by Clinton & Mavis Staples may have
come out after that.

> How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.

Non-exclusively 1992ish-1995
Exclusively 1995-1997/8

> How long did he go by the symbol before changing it back to Prince?

1993-2000

> Does he still call his current band the "NPG"?

Yes

> If the NPG was disbanded, how many years altogether was there an NPG band
he
> recorded and toured with?

1990 (recording & a credit on the song 'New power generation') - 2004

> If in fact it's true that he no longer rides with Larry Graham, how many
> years was he under the influence of LG?

It's not true :-(
But they met in 1997, and the influence has become stronger year by year,
although it seems to have been toned down somewhat during the current
promotional activities.

murole

May 10, 2004, 5:52:59 PM5/10/04

"Spicknspan" <spick...@hotmail.not> wrote in message

Thank you. I asked some of these questions elsewhere and was told a lot of
the answers are related to the number 7, which i thought was ridiculous and
just more Prince-fan silliness. But what do I know...

evan

May 11, 2004, 2:42:53 AM5/11/04

> Thank you. I asked some of these questions elsewhere and was told a lot
of
> the answers are related to the number 7, which i thought was ridiculous
and
> just more Prince-fan silliness. But what do I know...

hmm...maybe there's some truth to it lol

>When was the Revolution band formed? (it doesn't have to include Wendy,
does it?)

If they're just thinking of the actual core band members and not the name
'Revolution', it could have been 1979 (first touring band?), which then
would make it 7 years

>How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?

Wasn't the last "recordings" done in 1992 (George Clinton - Hey Man, Smell
My Finger, and maybe something else)? It might not have been officially shut
down until '93, but it went to shit in 1992 soon after he started his little
war with WB, didn't it?

>How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.

1993 - 2000

>How long did he go by the symbol before changing it back to Prince?

1993 - 2000

>If in fact it's true that he no longer rides with Larry Graham, how many

years was he under the influence of LG?

Who knows, but 2004 is the first time we heard anything like this, so....
maybe something has changed in their relationship. (7)

Gavin Smith

May 11, 2004, 10:47:10 AM5/11/04
Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing
anointment utensil, murole <mm...@hoxmail.com> poots forth...

> I asked some of these questions elsewhere and was told a lot of
>the answers are related to the number 7, which i thought was ridiculous and
>just more Prince-fan silliness.

Bear in mind that most Prince-fan silliness is just regurgitated Prince-
silliness.

--
Gavin Smith

Tmknapp

May 11, 2004, 3:04:46 PM5/11/04
>Bear in mind that most Prince-fan silliness is just regurgitated Prince-
>silliness.
>
>--
>Gavin Smith

I read this, and thought, "Oh, we're all SOPs. Son's of Princes." Is that
better than being a SOB?

Lee Harris

May 19, 2004, 12:49:00 AM5/19/04

"murole" <mm...@hoxmail.com> wrote in message

> Some of these might be dumb, but I'm just curious.
>

> When was the Revolution band formed? (it doesn't have to include Wendy,
does
> it?)

On the 1999 album cover the words "and the revolution" are written
backwards. The releases started being credited to "the revolution" on
Purple Rain.

> How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?

hmmm

1985 to about 1992?

> How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.

donno

> How long did he go by the symbol before changing it back to Prince?

6 or so years?

> Does he still call his current band the "NPG"?

yes

Bart Van Hemelen

May 19, 2004, 4:03:32 PM5/19/04
"Spicknspan" said the following (about "Re: Please help with a few
questions" in alt.music.prince on Mon, 10 May 2004 05:34:13 +0000
(UTC)):

>> How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?
>
>22nd April 1985 (ATWIAD) - 12th October 1993 (George Clinton's Hey Man Smell
>My Finger), although a couple of singles by Clinton & Mavis Staples may have
>come out after that.

Wrong. PPR was closed as part of the deal Prince made with WB in 1994
that also allowed him to release TMBGITW independently on "NPG
Records". Check Uptown's book Days Of Wild, entry for Feb 14, 1994.

From an ancient post of mine:

Wasn't a big part of that $ 100 million deal for PP? So WB would
partially own PP? And then in 1994 they wanted to get rid of it since
it had cost them MILLIONS and Prince had done virtually nothing
(except Carmen Electra etc) and only HIS albums were selling well (ie
making a profit) so they allowed him to release TMBGITW independently
(he wasn't allowed to use any of their companies) if he would agree to
terminate PP...

That's why we'll never see PP Records again: because WB owns part of
it...

>> How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.
>
>Non-exclusively 1992ish-1995
>Exclusively 1995-1997/8

Yeah sure, like they didn't screw around.

--
Bart Van Hemelen
lots of useful links (downloading from usenet, ...) in these files:

Spicknspan

May 19, 2004, 9:04:09 PM5/19/04

"Bart Van Hemelen" <see...@bottom.of.post.invalid> wrote in message

> "Spicknspan" said the following (about "Re: Please help with a few
> questions" in alt.music.prince on Mon, 10 May 2004 05:34:13 +0000
> (UTC)):
>
> >> How long was the Paisley Park label open for business?
> >
> >22nd April 1985 (ATWIAD) - 12th October 1993 (George Clinton's Hey Man
Smell
> >My Finger), although a couple of singles by Clinton & Mavis Staples may
have
> >come out after that.
>
> Wrong. PPR was closed as part of the deal Prince made with WB in 1994
> that also allowed him to release TMBGITW independently on "NPG
> Records". Check Uptown's book Days Of Wild, entry for Feb 14, 1994.

Yes, I know it was technically in existance up until TMBGITW, but Clinton's
was the last album released on the label.

Bart Van Hemelen

May 22, 2004, 8:55:46 AM5/22/04
"Spicknspan" said the following (about "Re: Please help with a few
questions" in alt.music.prince on Thu, 20 May 2004 01:04:09 +0000
(UTC)):

>> >22nd April 1985 (ATWIAD) - 12th October 1993 (George Clinton's Hey Man
>Smell
>> >My Finger), although a couple of singles by Clinton & Mavis Staples may
>have
>> >come out after that.
>>
>> Wrong. PPR was closed as part of the deal Prince made with WB in 1994
>> that also allowed him to release TMBGITW independently on "NPG
>> Records". Check Uptown's book Days Of Wild, entry for Feb 14, 1994.
>
>Yes, I know it was technically in existance up until TMBGITW, but Clinton's
>was the last album released on the label.

And they were working on other releases until just before it was
closed down. There were at least half a dozen acts that were recording
something for PPR.

Spicknspan

May 22, 2004, 10:47:07 AM5/22/04

> And they were working on other releases until just before it was
> closed down. There were at least half a dozen acts that were recording
> something for PPR.

Belize, Tyler Collins, Jacob Armen, and who else?

Bart Van Hemelen

May 22, 2004, 8:28:35 PM5/22/04
"Spicknspan" said the following (about "Re: Please help with a few
questions" in alt.music.prince on Sat, 22 May 2004 14:47:07 +0000
(UTC)):

>> And they were working on other releases until just before it was
>> closed down. There were at least half a dozen acts that were recording
>> something for PPR.
>
>Belize, Tyler Collins, Jacob Armen, and who else?

Can't remember, there's a list I got somewhere. Can't be arsed to look
it up.

Damn, Google's got it! ;-)

http://print.google.com/print/doc?articleid=kURj9A4jcy

"print.google.com" ? Did I stumble upon something new?

Variety Warner opts out of Paisley Park
Adam Sandler (2)
Feb 2, 1994

Warner Bros. Records has terminated its joint venture with Prince's
Paisley Park Records, leaving many of the label's acts and execs in
limbo.

A tersely worded joint release called the termination mutual, but
sources point to disappointing returns from the imprint as a prime
factor behind Warner's decision.

"Our relationship with Paisley Park Enterprises has been an exciting
and creatively rewarding one," said Mo Ostin, chairman of Warner Bros.
Records, in a statement. "We look forward to working with them and the
artist formerly known as Prince, who continues to be one of our most
important artists and producers."

The severing of ties will not affect Warner's mega-deal with the
former Prince, who recently changed his name to an unpronouncable
symbol, and Warner Bros. still has the option of picking up any of the
acts on the artist's label.

Insiders note that while a formula exists to address talent and exec
issues in the event of a termination of the joint venture, the issues
have not been resolved.

Currently signed to the imprint are George Clinton, Mavis Staples,
Belize, Rosie Gaines and Tyler Collins. The latter three artists have
yet to release albums, and it is unclear how the pact termination will
affect release dates.

The fate of Paisley's execs and artists is expected to be decided by
the end of this week.

Reps for Paisley and Warner declined comment.

Copyright © 1994 Reed Business Information

Xpertlover

May 23, 2004, 8:38:26 AM5/23/04
Bart Van Hemelen <see...@bottom.of.post.invalid> wrote in message news:<40b1bc37...@news.telenet.be>...

> Wrong. PPR was closed as part of the deal Prince made with WB in 1994
> that also allowed him to release TMBGITW independently on "NPG
> Records". Check Uptown's book Days Of Wild, entry for Feb 14, 1994.
>
> From an ancient post of mine:

> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Quoting yourself again? How about getting a life instead?

> >> How long was Prince and Mayte 'together'? not necessarily married.
> >
> >Non-exclusively 1992ish-1995
> >Exclusively 1995-1997/8
>
> Yeah sure, like they didn't screw around.

But I bet you wish you yourself had anybody to screw around with besides yourself.