OT: how to "unlock" protected audio CD's

Joey Coco

May 15, 2002, 8:44:56 AM5/15/02
Recently Sony has come with a new way to prevent consumers from
copying/ripping their CD's. What happens is that when you pop one of those
discs in your CD-ROM (Celine Dion's latest for example), your CD-ROM will
try to read the discs, but won't be able to.

CD-ROM's scan the whole discs before playing it, so by putting corrupt data
behind the audio tracks you CD-ROM will identify the whole disc as a
corrupt.

So how do you "unlock" the disc? All you need is a marker or Post-It note.
Put a straight line on top of the ring that marks the end of the audio part
and the beginning of the data track (see link below). However, do *not*
cross the line on the side of the audio section. Use a ruler and have a
moist cloth ready in case you do cross the line with the marker, so you can
wipe it out.

Here's the full article on this in German:

http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/unterseite_praxis_wissen_8725967.html

Tipp des Monats: Audio-Kopierschutz

Die Filzstift-Methode: Ruhige Hand nötig

Suchen Sie auf der CD-Unterseite (die unbedruckte) nach einer etwa zwei
Millimeter breiten Trennlinie, indem Sie die CD schräg gegen das Licht
halten.

Weg mit dem Kopierschutz: Mit einem Folienstift decken Sie die Trennlinie
und Teile des äußeren Tracks ab, ohne die letzte Audio-Spur zu berühren.

Sie finden die Linie ein bis zwei Zentimeter vom äußeren Rand entfernt.
Ziehen Sie nun mit dem Stift einen tangentialen Strich, der die Trennlinie
exakt abdeckt, in den äußeren Bereich hineinragt, aber dabei den letzten
Audio-Track nicht berührt. Ein Pappstreifen hilft als Lineal.

Probieren Sie das Ergebnis aus. Hat es nicht geklappt, deckt der Strich
entweder die Trennlinie nicht ganz oder liegt über der letzten Audio-Spur -
hier geht's um Zehntel-Millimeter. Dann wischen Sie den Pro-Kopier-Balken
mit einem feuchten Tempo weg und korrigieren nach.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Good luck!
--
Joey Coco
http://www.joeycoco.com

once upon a HiRize

May 15, 2002, 11:10:45 AM5/15/02
>From: "Joey Coco"

>Recently Sony has come with a new way to prevent consumers from
>copying/ripping their CD's. What happens is that when you pop one of those
>discs in your CD-ROM (Celine Dion's latest for example), your CD-ROM will
>try to read the discs, but won't be able to.

do these locked discs play in CD-ROMS?

this locking won't stop copying, it can still be recorded by feeding the audio
to the sound card, although not a digital rip it will still be done.

CEO [ ++HiRize++ / >>PopGoMama<< ]
http://members.aol.com/lionskin1/main.html

Joey Coco

May 15, 2002, 11:23:41 AM5/15/02
"once upon a HiRize" <popg...@aol.comEATCAKE> wrote in message

> >From: "Joey Coco"
>
> >Recently Sony has come with a new way to prevent consumers from
> >copying/ripping their CD's. What happens is that when you pop one of
those
> >discs in your CD-ROM (Celine Dion's latest for example), your CD-ROM will
> >try to read the discs, but won't be able to.
>
> do these locked discs play in CD-ROMS?

No, that's the whole thing. A standalone CD player will ignore the data
track (it can't process the data either way, corrupt or not), but a CD-ROM
scans the entire discs first and when it finds the corrupt data track it
won't play the disc and in some cases even crash the computer.

> this locking won't stop copying, it can still be recorded by feeding the
audio
> to the sound card, although not a digital rip it will still be done.

Yes, but that would also require a standalone player hooked up to your
soundcard, because the CD-ROM won't even play the disc and you'd only be
able to rip the disc at 1x. Now they've found a relatively easy way to
unlock the discs I wonder what type of copy protection will be next. Maybe
they'll ban markers. lol

newpowergeneration

May 15, 2002, 2:11:43 PM5/15/02
Infringe liberties. They Circumvent. Rip people off. They Circumvent.

We will always circumvent!

(Well, other people will and I'll be quick enough to find out how)

--
|newpowergeneration
|ch...@silic0n.net
|silic0n.net
|icq#69223600
|If you show me the cash, then I will take it. If you tell me to lie, then I
will fake it.

"Joey Coco" <joeycoco@[delete this crap]mn.rr.com> wrote in message

JeePee

May 15, 2002, 4:23:24 PM5/15/02
Is it THAT easy ?!? OMG LOL

On Wed, 15 May 2002 12:44:56 GMT, "Joey Coco" <joeycoco@[delete this
crap]mn.rr.com> decided to surprise everyone by saying:

--
JeePee

Some guy.

My Prince, Queen and Nirvana pages:
my bootlegs, complete live overview and other stuff (last update 07-05-2002)
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/jp.pluijgers/main.html
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Sinistra

May 16, 2002, 2:40:39 AM5/16/02

>do these locked discs play in CD-ROMS?

what he was sayign is that they do NOT play.becuase the disc wil lread as
corrupt...if it'll play, it'll rip, which means u can burn it.
-Emani

Don't even play as if U know me, 'cause u know u don't.

SHOULD anyone fear death? we're all gonna die soemtime. if u avoid
it one minute u could get hit with it the next. life's just one big game of
postponing death

-me

once upon a HiRize

May 17, 2002, 2:30:12 AM5/17/02
>From: "Joey Coco"

>"once upon a HiRize" <popg...@aol.comEATCAKE> wrote in message
>>
>> >From: "Joey Coco"
>>
>> >Recently Sony has come with a new way to prevent consumers from
>> >copying/ripping their CD's. What happens is that when you pop one of
>those
>> >discs in your CD-ROM (Celine Dion's latest for example), your CD-ROM will
>> >try to read the discs, but won't be able to.
>>
>> do these locked discs play in CD-ROMS?
>
>No, that's the whole thing. A standalone CD player will ignore the data
>track (it can't process the data either way, corrupt or not), but a CD-ROM
>scans the entire discs first and when it finds the corrupt data track it
>won't play the disc and in some cases even crash the computer.

I don't see how this is fair to consumers, but I don't suppose it's much
different than not being able to play cassettes on a CD player maybe. Are the
discs labeled to warn consumers they cannot be played on CD-ROMs? I wonder
about DVD players that are able to read data, or disc players that read mp3
discs, that read data.

I would think people would not buy CDs they could not play in multiple players,
if they knew ahead of time.

Joey Coco

May 17, 2002, 8:13:47 AM5/17/02

> I don't see how this is fair to consumers, but I don't suppose it's much
> different than not being able to play cassettes on a CD player maybe. Are
the
> discs labeled to warn consumers they cannot be played on CD-ROMs?

Yes, they come with a warning.

JeePee

May 17, 2002, 5:38:47 PM5/17/02
On Fri, 17 May 2002 07:13:47 -0500, "Joey Coco" <joeycoco@[delete this

crap]mn.rr.com> decided to surprise everyone by saying:

As every Celine Dion CD should.

--
JeePee

We're gonna have Harry Potter for prime minister!!!

SapphireBlue

May 17, 2002, 6:31:57 PM5/17/02

"JeePee" wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2002 07:13:47 -0500, "Joey Coco" <joeycoco@[delete this
> crap]mn.rr.com> decided to surprise everyone by saying:
>

> >"once upon a HiRize" wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see how this is fair to consumers, but I don't suppose it's
much
> >> different than not being able to play cassettes on a CD player maybe.
Are
> >the
> >> discs labeled to warn consumers they cannot be played on CD-ROMs?
> >
> >Yes, they come with a warning.
>
> As every Celine Dion CD should.

LOL

newpowergeneration

May 17, 2002, 8:43:53 PM5/17/02
> Yes, they come with a warning.

Yeah, they do, but Lauryn Hill's recent MTV Unplugged 2.0 CD - which is
'locked' so to speak - had the warning which was printed on the booklet
covered up quite purposefully with a big "2 New CDs of Music!" (or
something) sticker. Bastards.

--
|newpowergeneration
|ch...@silic0n.net
|silic0n.net
|icq#69223600
|If you show me the cash, then I will take it. If you tell me to lie, then I
will fake it.

"Joey Coco" <joeycoco@[delete this crap]mn.rr.com> wrote in message

Cire8021

May 18, 2002, 1:58:14 AM5/18/02
>>>Recently Sony has come with a new way to prevent consumers from
copying/ripping their CD's. What happens is that when you pop one of those
discs in your CD-ROM (Celine Dion's latest for example), your CD-ROM will
try to read the discs, but won't be able to.<<<

thats good.. THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY MORE CELINE DION CDS THAN THERE ALREADY
ARE.. NO NEED TO DUPLICATE MORE LOL

-CIRE

Hank

May 20, 2002, 10:23:40 PM5/20/02

Doan be a Fool Fool...

There is ABSOLUTELY NO chance that markers will be banned. HOWEVER, I
have it from a RELIABLE source that in Canada emergency legislation is
in the works that will add a royalty fee to each marker sold. The
proceeds will be added to the same fund as blank CD royalties and
distributed to the starving Canadian musicians.

Joey Coco

May 20, 2002, 11:40:34 PM5/20/02
"Hank" <Ha...@snow.com> wrote in message news:3CE9AFB3...@snow.com...

Amazing...

> HOWEVER, I
> have it from a RELIABLE source that in Canada emergency legislation is
> in the works that will add a royalty fee to each marker sold. The
> proceeds will be added to the same fund as blank CD royalties and
> distributed to the starving Canadian musicians.

Nice try, but it's just not funny.

warewolf

May 21, 2002, 12:01:45 AM5/21/02
Just to be on the safe side, I would go out and buy one of those kids
markers which are non-toxic but more importantly, easily wash off with
a damp cloth.

ww

In article <cLsE8.2432$t91.1...@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Joey Coco
<joeycoco@[delete> wrote:

> http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/unterseite_praxis_wissen_8725967.html

Hank

May 21, 2002, 12:17:49 AM5/21/02

Of course it's not funny Fool.

Joey Coco

May 21, 2002, 1:11:44 AM5/21/02
"Hank" <ha...@snow.com> wrote in message news:3CE9CA73...@snow.com...

I assume you're drunk tonight. Boy, will you feel stupid in the morning when
you re-read my initial post in this thread...then again, maybe NOT.

Hank

May 21, 2002, 3:22:21 AM5/21/02

LOL !! Is that the best you got Boy ?

> will you feel stupid in the morning when
> you re-read my initial post in this thread...then again, maybe NOT.

I see the problem. Your a little slow aren't you ?

Moriarti

May 20, 2002, 10:36:36 PM5/20/02
Actually, in Australia, they have *already* banned markers (about 5 years
ago) but first they made all owners register their markers (like they did in
Canada) and then once they knew where the markers were, they did a mandatory
buy-back program and destroyed all of the markers. OR so they thought,
because *only* "law abiding" citizens registered or turned in said markers,
,so now *only* the bootleggers have markers. What will it take to keep the
markers out of the hands of children? Maybe we should form the NMA (National
Marker Association to help raise funds for the protection of our 1st
Amendment rights (or whatever the Canooks have)!

--
E. Michael Davis II
95B3V5

When you're having a bad day,
and it seems like people are
trying to piss you off, remember,
it takes 42 muscles to frown
and only 4 to pull the trigger
of a decent sniper's rifle.

PSBDallas

May 23, 2002, 9:25:50 AM5/23/02
Joey CoCo makes it big! Your remark about banning markers made it to
Reuters/ MSNBC:

INTERNET NEWSGROUPS have been circulating news of the discovery for the past
week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for
deploying "hi-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit
to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting
on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

http://www.msnbc.com/news/754854.asp