Survey: Which person(s) made the biggest difference in Prince/O(+>'s music?

RudeDog

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Well, they were many...Wendy and Lisa(of course!), Eric Leeds, Sheila E.,
Kirk J.,
etc.

I feel Eric Leeds made the biggest contribution because he's the only one
that stuck around for this long! Both Prince and Eric were always in for the
music, so it's cool! Too bad he's not around O(+> anymore

Rudedog

Aaron

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

RudeDog wrote in message <6kb5se$psl$1...@hades.csu.net>...

hmmm, i don't know... this one isn't too obvious, but maybe it's Fink? i
mean, when he left the band (or at least the band that appears on the
albums -- post-Lovesexy) it's been pretty much downhill, at least
creatively.

maybe Fink was the driving force behind it all for all those years (?)

nahhhhh

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

"RudeDog" <rud...@sfsu.edu> wrote:

>I feel Eric Leeds made the biggest contribution because he's the only one
>that stuck around for this long! Both Prince and Eric were always in for the
>music, so it's cool! Too bad he's not around O(+> anymore

It has SO much more meaning than just how long he stuck around.. AND
the reason he was ABLE to be around so long... See, Eric was the ONE
AND ONLY artist Prince has EVER worked with that Prince has NO control
over meaning that Prince doesn't know Sax from Jack! Eric was able to
over lay his COMPLETE style over Prince's creations without Prince's
interference or ideas, which made EVERY song Eric did with Prince THAT
MUCH more special, AND if you notice, some of THE GREATEST songs
Prince has ever done have that callaboration between Leeds and Prince!
I wish more would have come of Eric from Pasiley but from what I have
heard is that there will be no more of ANYTHING between the two... :(
I recently heard that they had a MAJOR falling out and now Eric is yet
another one of those folks that were dogged by Prince... :( Sad
thing because Eric was SUPPOSEd to be a part of the new NPG line up..
That would mean Prince was BEGINING o get a band back!

Eric Leeds is a GREAT guy in person and THE MOST stunning and ORIGINal
Saxman I have heard to date.. His style is COMPLETELY all his own and
his playing speaks as no other does.,.. A man that has FULL control
over his instrumen.. As Prince does with string instruments /
Piano....

>Rudedog

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

"Aaron" <aar...@dave-world.net> wrote:

>hmmm, i don't know... this one isn't too obvious, but maybe it's Fink? i
>mean, when he left the band (or at least the band that appears on the
>albums -- post-Lovesexy) it's been pretty much downhill, at least
>creatively.
>
>maybe Fink was the driving force behind it all for all those years (?)

Another FANTASTIC member who added LOTS and LOTS of creativity to the
band.. You guys notiuce that THE ONLY folks that actually have an
artistsiuc and talented mind of their own (AKA TRUE MUSICIAN) are
ALWAYS on the outs with Prince after they are in the band? The throw
awas just get fired.. But the REAL musical forces that add to
Prince's music ALWAYS have beef with Prince, I THINK that it has
something to do with PRINCE not being the only one to have all the
attention because when a REAL musician is in his band you know about
them,(I mean, how much do we know about that Kat Dyson?) And when
Princve isn't the only REALLY talented person in the band.. he gets
jealous and fires them.. Look at his history and see if I'm lying!
Man, I AM gonna write a book.. A REAL boook analyzing Prince and not
telling stupid stories about his childhood! :)

>nahhhhh

Eedog sr

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

What about LEVI seems he had input on alot of songs.

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

eed...@aol.com (Eedog sr) wrote:

>What about LEVI seems he had input on alot of songs.

Yes, alot of input that made no difference in anything.. HE STILL had
Prince watching over him though.. See, Levi was Prince's Kirky J back
then.. Levi wanted a record label so Prince would always hang the NPG
records carrot over his head without really giving it to him..
Finally one day Prince gave in and told Levi he could in fact run the
label AND he could run it however he wanted... But, that was a lie to
get what Prince wanted from Levi so after a while of Levi's ideas
getting squashed (including the NPG All Stars tour) he got fed up...,
When Prince went to Germany to do the MTV Euro Awards, he cleaned his
desk out.. Prince came back to no record label and that was the end
of NPG! Until this new thing he is trying to pull over where HE is
the main man at the label.... Or in fact, he is THE ONLY man at the
label! :)

alexander nevermind

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

i mean prince hasnt worked with joni mitchell or nothing..but when i
FINALLY got 2 see her this past tuesday.. couldnt believe how much of
what i heard her play sounding ALOT like how P plays the accoustic
guitar....and i mean ALOT..chords,the way she strummed,the way she
played....i dont play an instrument so im not sure if it was just a
"universal" thing with those who do play...but it sure did sound VERY
familiar.....

Kares

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

T wrote in message <35692508...@news.mindspring.com>...

>It has SO much more meaning than just how long he stuck around.. AND
>the reason he was ABLE to be around so long... See, Eric was the ONE
>AND ONLY artist Prince has EVER worked with that Prince has NO control
>over meaning that Prince doesn't know Sax from Jack!

I believe that's the reason, indeed.

>Eric Leeds is a GREAT guy in person and THE MOST stunning and ORIGINal
>Saxman I have heard to date.. His style is COMPLETELY all his own and
>his playing speaks as no other does.,.. A man that has FULL control
>over his instrumen.. As Prince does with string instruments /
>Piano....

I donno about that, man. I mean, Eric IS a great sax player, but i would
never call him the 'most stunning' sax player.. I myself have worked with a
few sax guys so far who are much much better than Eric Leeds. And how about
Sonny Rollins??? Coltrane? Getz? Dexter Gordon? to name only a few..
I don't particulary like Eric's albums either, i'm sorry ;-)

I think why Eric fits so well in Prince's music has more to do with his
ability to stand back whenever he's not needed... Maybe I could mention
patience too... (i have a feeling that's an important requirement for anyone
planning on working with P.)

Kares

RudeDog

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Great point I forgot to mention T!! Must be all the
Nitequil-atas(Pinacolatas--get it?)I've been makin' !!!

Rudedog

>It has SO much more meaning than just how long he stuck around.. AND
>the reason he was ABLE to be around so long... See, Eric was the ONE
>AND ONLY artist Prince has EVER worked with that Prince has NO control

EyeNO

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

I'll vote for Susannah. She inspired some great slow jams.

RudeDog

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

EyeNO wrote in message <6kd2ca$qnp$1...@newsd-161.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

I'll vote for Susannah. She inspired some great slow jams.

And The Family album, and many songs afterwards, like If I Was Your
Girlfriend.

Rudedog
'

JuvenileHi

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

prince's fans have made the biggest difference in his music, because without
us, he would be a flat broke yoohoo playing in some bar band in Minneapolis.

Lee
uh-oh. I have a new CD on the market! Check out the crappy web page for it
at: http://www.angelfire.com/va/RosebudRecords/index.html
http://members.aol.com/JuvenileHi/index.html

IMPACT7771

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Flame on kids....
But I'd say Mayte has been by far the most positive influence in his music.
Since his marriage-his music has been more focused, & personal. many of u would
complain that due to his marriage he has been tame, & A-1 spiritiual wierdo. As
a athiest I must say that at least I'm learning more about the artist
personally (whether thats good or bad) even if his spirituality is a bit more
in the forefront. Susannah inspired dozens of "love songs" but all the songs
were spiked with pain, where in songs about Mayte; there is a genuine, secure,
mature and evaluated tone of the song. At know other time has his words been
more focused. It is not shadowed with whim, and anti-soul sex. Has it caused
him to lose that dangerous, mad scientist sense of production/writing in the
studio? Maybe, but atleast the guy is being honest-thats alot more then most of
these pompous "musicians" these days.

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

mco...@indiana.edu (Matt Conrad) wrote:

>On Mon, 25 May 1998 09:35:18 GMT, t...@mindspring.com (T) wrote:
>
>>But, that was a lie to
>>get what Prince wanted from Levi so after a while of Levi's ideas
>>getting squashed (including the NPG All Stars tour) he got fed up

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I'm intrigued. Can you tell us more about this project?

It was a tour that ACTUALLY HAD A DATE somewhere,.. I THINK it was
Chicago.. Was supposed to happen in , let's see.. When was I there..
Um.. '94???? But it was the NPG and a group that consisted of The
NPG Hornz and some other groups.. When I wrote that post I had JUST
remembered it so my mind is kinda blank...

NPG Orchestra I THINK was the name of the band with the Hornz..
Mike?????

>MWC

Erika Goff

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

impac...@aol.com (IMPACT7771) wrote:

Actually, I very much disagree. I don't think he's being truthful at
all in these songs (supposedly) dedicated to Mayte. He wanted her to
have his children, but he doesn't love her for who she is at all and
the songs he supposedly wrote about her are in my mind kind of fluffy
(I say this because I don't think "She Gave Her Angels" is about Mayte
as the liner notes for CB say...or are supposed to say, since I got
the New Funk version which has no booklet. I think that song is about
Ingrid Chavez because Ingrid was the one really into angels long
before Mayte showed up. I doubt Mayte says much of anything to Prince,
including stuff about angels in the church.)

His feelings were sincere towards Susannah, and the songs weren't
always spiked with pain. Think of "Forever in My Life" or "Adore."

It's hard for me to say who was the most influential person towards
his music, but I think Vanity also had a really huge impact on his
songs or at least his themes. IMHO songs like "Dinner With Delores"
and "Dionne" are Prince still whining about how she left him. He's
very egotistical and I think he can't get over her leaving him. It was
during Vanity's time with him that he wrote a lot and the sounds of
the 1999 album, The Time's earlier albums, and the Vanity 6 project
are the ones that the public seem to really remember. (Yes, before
someone starts going on about Purple Rain, I know that's the album
that people know best, but I see that as an after-wave of the 1999
period.)

As long as I'm babbling at length, I'd say that Wendy and Lisa had the
greatest effect on him musically. Since someone else already covered
their involvement, I won't repeat their points. :)

Erika

http://www.las.es/TheArtist/petition
Let your voice be heard

Please remove the asterisk to reply to me via email.