The Time "Corporate World"

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Sound like something you'd want????? ;)

The Time "Corporate World"

01 - Murph Drag 5:09
02 - 9 Lives 3:58
03 - Donald Trump (Black Version) 4:33
04 - LoveMachine 5:02
05 - Databank 5:25
06 - Shake 4:51
07 - Corporate World 4:09
08 - Latest Fashion 4:06
09 - Release It 3:56
10 - My Summertime Thang 7:14
11 - My Summertime Thang Dub 4:25
12 - Databank (FULL VERSION) 5:39
13 - Kansas City 0:44
14 - LoveMachine Time Outtake 0:37
15 - LoveMachine (Prince's Version) 5:18
16 - Chocolate (Prince's Version) 5:51
17 - Outro 0:04

As I have posted to A.M.P. before....

This record is Prince's version of the follow up to "Ice Cream
Castle's", it was reworked so that the other (already estableshed on
their own) members wuld have input on the record rather than it being
yet another ALL Prince Paisley Park record! The record was originally
planned for release on November 14th 1989 but it looks like T had to
go and FINALLY do it justice by releasing it on Monday, April 20th
1998! :) Plus as you see I added Prince's versions of Love Machine
(IN PERFECT PERFECT QUALITY) and Chocolate (A wee bit of tape hiss
since the tape is 15 years old now!) :) Not to mention the
uncirculating FULL version of Databank (The Time's version)... :)

As you can see some of the tracks on this HAVE in fact been released..
Donald Trump (Black Version) is an earlier version, Shake has a few
extra bars, Databank is a different mix, Love Machine has a few extra
bars, The Latest Fasion is COMPLETELY different, My Summertime Thang
is LONGER, and Release It is THE ONLY one that was released EXACTLY
the same.... n This album SLAMS Pandemonium!!!! Not as good as early
Time stuff but it's a REALLY cool record.. The quality it's in is a
BIG help! But what else would you expect from a T release???? ;)

Below is some GREAT info on the album which I came across recently
thanks to Bart Van Hemelen's FANTASTIC web site on Protege's!
(http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/2987/tt.htm)

The Corporate World (A brief History): [Snagged from the above web
site so I wouldn't have to write it out]

In June 1989, Prince got together with Morris Day and Jerome Benton to
work on a follow-up to Ice Cream Castle, The Time's last album (from
1984).

The sessions went well, and by the end of the summer the album was
finished.
Entitled Corporate World, it had Prince writing, producing and
playing most
of the material, again under his guise of Jamie Starr — just like
old times.

The ten tracks featured on the album were: "Murph Drag", "9 Lives",
"Donald Trump (Black Version)", "Love Machine", "Data Bank",
"Shake!", "Corporate World (New Soul Nation)", "The Latest
Fashion", "Release It", and "My Summertime Thang".

But even though the album was given a release date — November 14th,
1989 — it got put on hold.

This time it wasn't Prince's decision, but Warner's. The company
wanted the
original line-up of The Time to be featured in Graffiti Bridge and
on their
album. They hoped a reunited Time would catch the audience's
imagination,
giving the film another selling point. After all, Prince's
popularity in the States
had reached a pre-Purple Rain level, and Warner Bros. feared to not
even
recuperate the costs of his new movie.

Thus, in late 1989 the rest of the original line-up of The Time —
Jimmy Jam,
Terry Lewis, Jellybean Johnson, Monte Moir and Jesse Johnson —
got involved.

However, several members of The Time have a different view of history.

Jimmy Jam explained his interest in the project as follows to US
music mag
Rolling Stone []:

"It was unfinished business. The Time got cut off before it's
natural life."

The story he told UK music weekly Melody Maker [] was closer to the
truth,
and more or less correct, but incomplete:

"The record had some false starts, when everyone wasn't
involved.
There was a time when Terry and I couldn't be involved because
of
record company obligations. There was a time Jesse wasn't going
to be
part of it. Prince has been a big cheerleader about this for a
long time.
He was ready to work so he wanted to get Jerome and Morris in
the
studio to give himself something to do. But I think he did it
to get us to
do it. I think it was a psychological thing."

(Interestingly, Monte Moir also used the term "cheerleader" in
describing
Prince's involvement when he talked to Jon Bream [The Face, 1990].)

And Dutch music magazine Oor got yet another different story from
Jam:

"We called Prince in December to tell him we were going to
record a
new album together. "It's really nice you're all back
together," he told
me. A month later he called us, asking if we were interested in
playing
club owners in his movie Graffiti Bridge."

Yet another version of the truth (and a truely unbelievable one) was
given by
Terry Lewis to UK music monthly Select []. He claimed that The Time
reformed because Graffiti Bridge was originally slated to be a Time
movie
rather than a Prince vehicle. That they ended up playing crooks to
Prince's
picked-on, felt-sorry-for hero, wasn't part of the original plan:

"In the end the story got lost and it became a Prince picture.
But that
was cool. I think our rapport with Prince is better now than
it's ever
been, because there's a mutual respect in the air. We're here
because
we want to be. Plus we got to hang out for six months on
somebody
else's budget."

This is of course total nonsense. The idea of Graffiti Bridge had
been around
for several years, probably since 1987. It was never a movie telling
the story
of The Time. After all, what was there to tell? That Prince wrote
nearly
everything, played all the music, producing the records — i.e. that
The Time
were more or less Milli Vanilli avant la lettre?

After in late 1989 the rest of the original line-up of The Time got
involved,
most of the material recorded for Corporate World was either shelved
or
reworked. Another batch of songs was recorded, this time with all
band
members taking an active part in the writing and producing of the
revised
album, called Pandemonium.

Only two songs remained more or less intact from the Corporate World
sessions: "Donald Trump (Black Version)" and "Data Bank". "My
Summertime Thang" was considerably reworked. Two old funk numbers by
Prince, "Jerk Out" and "Chocolate", were taken from the vault, and
five
new songs were recorded.

Four of the remaining Corporate World tracks turned up on Graffiti
Bridge:
"The Latest Fashion", "Release It", "Love Machine" and "Shake!".
However,
"The Latest Fashion" was completely reworked using the melody of "My
Summertime Thang", and has only the title and some lyrics in common
with
the original recording.

The remaining tracks from the Corporate World sessions remained in
the
vault: the funky dance numbers "Corporate World (New Soul Nation)"
and
"Murph Drag" — "murph" is slang for a thick roll of money — and the
melodic rocker "9 Lives". Especially the shelving of the latter is a
mystery: it
was one of the best tracks on the album, and was planned as the
first single
release from the album. It was offered later in the year to Cat,
along with a
song called "Cat And Mouse".

Your Friend..... T :)

:)

______________
_.-'' || \ `-.
_.-'' || \ `-._ -=====/
____..-''.<(]_______________||_____\ `-------/--/.
_..---''''__ / `` ____________|__________.....________\
-'''__.-.='_`_`-.\---|---''''''' ` ' | __ /.-'_`_`-.\ \.
.' --''' .'/ / | \ \`. | / '='.'/ / | \ \`. __.|
|--------|| | O | ||--\-------------------/-------|| | O ) ||'' /
'''----..| \ \/_ _\/ / |______________________________| \ \/_ _\/ / `--'"
`-.....-' `-.....-'
86 Fiero SE 4cyl 5 speed Homebase - ATLANTA!!!!

¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤

I, hurt myself today. To see if I still feel....
I, focus on the pain. The only thing that's real....

http://members.wbs.net/homepages/c/u/r/curiouschild.html

Scott Warner

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Supposedly, The Time were going to reunite for an album, tour, and a
movie project that was to feature Janet Jackson. Word around the
campfire was that Robert Townshend had been contacted about writing the
script. At the time, both Janet and Jerome were signed to A&M. And
John McLain was supervising the whole deal. Since Prince still 'owned'
The Time; this would seem to be 'an ambitious project to pull off', to
quote Jimmy Jam. Maybe Jam was talking about 'The Secret': The studio
band he and Terry had been talking about for awhile.

I don't dispute what was said above. I'm just adding another
perspective to the mix.

See-ohh-ohh-elle (that spells cool)
scott