Big Joe Polka Show Update

RadioEngineer

Nov 8, 2009, 3:15:07 PM11/8/09
I heard from a source close to the Big Joe Show that the negotiations
for the 2010-2011 contract with RFD-TV have hit a roadblock, the show
may not be appearing on RFD-TV next year. Notice no more "polka
catalog" or "Polka Nuts" or similar commercials, I guess they are
trying to pinch Joe's wallet shut in order to make him sign.

The sad thing is the people who watch the so do not have internet
access (for the most part) and can not mount a write-in campaign to
save this cult classic. I've tried to watch other programming on RFD-
TV, and can stomach only "Trains and Locomotives" and "Texas Country
Reporter".

Jim

Nov 8, 2009, 4:03:14 PM11/8/09
In article <13225790-f258-4a63...@l35g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
RadioEngineer <grolen...@gmail.com> wrote:

You forgot Ronny Reno's bluegrass show...has has some of the best on there early
in the am. Bluegrass is a lot like polka's...

--
Jim

micky

Nov 8, 2009, 4:49:18 PM11/8/09

I beg to differ RFD would squeeze out Big Joe for what? 90 seconds of
personal advertising on a 1 hour show? In an interview only days old,
the founder of RFD is boasting Big Joe's Show is one of the top 4
which is keeping that 25 million in revenue per year, for-profit
empire stable.

With the loss of Don Imus, and the subsequent millions RFD owes him in
back payment, it looks like Big Joe has more of a bargaining chip of
stability and revenue than a RFD threat for loss of polka nut and
polka catalog announcements.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/140/the-cable-cowboy.html?partner=rss

RadioEngineer

Nov 8, 2009, 5:37:27 PM11/8/09
> http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/140/the-cable-cowboy.html?partner...

This has (apparently) been an on-going thing with Patrick, in March
'08 he pulled the show for Chimelewski's series shot in northern
Minnesota. I agree, Joe's one of the better picks in the stable, but
for some reason advertising does not sell on TBJPS. The last time
(2008) Comcast's "On-Demand" contract for video availability was the
sticking point, now from what I hear, Joe is tired of all of the BS
and is exploring other venues/alternatives.

He's in his mid-70s, and I guess that he doesn't want the hassle
anymore??

From what I hear, unless something positive happens, the show is going
off of the air, and trust me, this is no rumor.

micky

Nov 8, 2009, 6:03:10 PM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 4:37 pm, RadioEngineer <grolengin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has (apparently) been an on-going thing with Patrick, in March
> '08 he pulled the show for Chimelewski's series shot in northern
> Minnesota.

I remember a show or two of that airing, and it was very enjoyable.
Too bad Patrick pulled them. It was something different.

Weren't one of those shows of Yankovic? If my memory serves correct,
seemed to be a very professional recording.

RadioEngineer

Nov 8, 2009, 7:52:34 PM11/8/09

The Yankovic show was Joe's. He was paired with Don Lipovac, whom he
performed with prior to his passing. The older Big Joe Shows were
shot for the initial version of RFD-TV. That first attempt at RFD
wasn't successful, if you look at the cameramen who walk into the
shots, you will see "RFD-TV" lettering on the side of some of the
cameras. The production values on the '89 series may not have been to
par, but that actually adds to the sincerity of the program.

The Chimelewski shows were shot mostly at Iron Mountain.

You will never see a show which features open format dancing be even
close to perfect. The shows that are done in studios have strict
instructions attached to the waiver the dancers/performers sign as to
the boundries of where they can walk, stand or dance, they are also
coached prior to being allowed on to the floor.

The Yankovic show had special attention at editing time, a newer
version was re-mastered in 2006, you may have seen excerpts in some of
the more recent (after '05 shows).

To tell the truth, I hope that Joe never gets into CGI graphics, and
that the show retains that "down-home" charm that has been lost to
over production, it takes from the imagination, in my opinion...

jrodg

Nov 8, 2009, 9:03:42 PM11/8/09

Losing this show would be a real shame and loss to the polka world
-- It's one of a kind , and no other program or promotion has done 1%
of what BJ's show has done to promote polka music nationwide.
Everyopne who gets the show should of course contact the network to
plead for its continuation---I'll certainly do that and also tell
them , as others have written above, that if this show disappears I'll
stop watching the netowrk, most of whose remaining programming
consists of 50-year-old CW reruns. Hope this helps----otherwise this
is a real blow to polka music,and,with the exception of one brief one-
band program, means the end to nationwide exposure to polka.

RadioEngineer

Nov 8, 2009, 9:54:15 PM11/8/09

I can't understand it, either. I cancelled RFD-TV, the mag in 2008
after the March fiasco, and specifically voiced my objection to their
pulling TBJPS off of the air. I was also not a big Imus fan, as I
worked Philadelphia area radio during the Howard Stern days, and used
to hear him (Imus) complain on the 1210 WCAU AM feed from WFAN, New
York about "what a great talent he is" and that he started the talk/
guest format that Stern is known for. I still think that Imus is third-
rate talent at best.

RFD-TV kissed Imus' you-know-what for two years (almost), The Big Jow
Show was part of the initial lineup on the network, you'd think that
there would be some sort of loyalty to the man.

But this is 2009, and it's everyone for him/herself....

And that's a sad statement of our reality...

AMUN

Nov 9, 2009, 12:46:53 AM11/9/09

How can you people ignore the Porter Wagoner Show.
That often features a 20 year old Dolly Parton.

Mark my words,....someday that girl will be a big star.

Jim

Nov 9, 2009, 8:45:59 AM11/9/09

Or for that matter, I also forgot the Wilburn Bros.

--
Jim

Jim

Nov 9, 2009, 8:49:56 AM11/9/09
In article <05392c63-3878-4dbe...@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
RadioEngineer <grolen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you think if TBJPS goes on, they might get the sound right?

It is Awfully embarrassing! Not to mention video where there's no black...my
digital Sony Handycam does better.

--
Jim

Mike

Nov 9, 2009, 8:51:32 AM11/9/09
In article <c71057ec-a188-41d6...@j35g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
RadioEngineer <grolen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or just plain mismanagement on the part of RFD.
--
Mike

micky

Nov 9, 2009, 9:40:41 AM11/9/09
On Nov 9, 7:51 am, Mike <m...@nononccfaba.org> wrote:

> Or just plain mismanagement on the part of RFD.
> --
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

like taking from the poor and giving to the rich

There's plenty of RFD theater (Branson) ads running around Big Joe's
show. Wonder what kind of revenue that's generating for them to
chance losing BJPS.

Does it even make sense to eek every cent out of polkas to insulate
RFD's 25 million empire?

RadioEngineer

Nov 9, 2009, 3:20:28 PM11/9/09
On Nov 9, 1:46 am, "AMUN" <antis...@sparmmstop.org> wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> How can you people ignore the Porter Wagoner Show.
> That often features a 20 year old Dolly Parton.
>
> Mark my words,....someday that girl will be a big star.

I agree, the pre-73 Porter Wagoner shows were great TV,
and I'd have to be half dead to not like Dolly. I actually enjoyed
the old BW versions of the show (the Willis Bros being the best).
And Jimmy Davis with a very young version of the Oak Ridge Boys
performing "You are my Sunshine" and "Suppertime", was moving,
to say the least!

RadioEngineer

Nov 9, 2009, 3:39:51 PM11/9/09
On Nov 9, 9:49 am, Jim <j...@NOSpaMync.net> wrote:
> In article <05392c63-3878-4dbe-9406-689a3a5ac...@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

> Do you think if TBJPS goes on, they might get the sound right?
>
> It is Awfully embarrassing! Not to mention video where there's no black...my
> digital Sony Handycam does better.
>
> --
> Jim

You are apparently watching the Saturday evening shows from the 1989
series shot during the short reign of the previous version of RFD-TV.
The
crews that worked on the 2005 -present shoots were professional, there
were, however, instances
in 2006 when the Branson RFD-TV the Theatre (actually offsite) shoots
were done and the lighting was
totally screwed up by a contractor not of TBJPS choosing. They made
several attempts at digital
reclaimation, and wound up broadcasting the tapes as-was, sadly. There
were also
problems with the sound on a Medina, MN shoot in (2006?) where the
audio engineer
had most likely not worn headphones or set levels, with late queing,
missed switching, and improperly
adjusted over/undermodulated sound.

Most of the 2005 and up shows that were shot using the Sony DVCAM
system, with Joe's
regular crews are of high quality. He does, after all produce CD's
from the audio of the shows,
and also DVD's of some of the bands.

In 1989 most VHS cameras (until VHS-C) were the size of a 12-pack of
beer/soda. The Sony
HandyCam wasn't even on the drawing board then, and the fuzzy logic
circuitry was at best, in
it's infancy.

RadioEngineer

Nov 9, 2009, 3:45:20 PM11/9/09
On Nov 9, 9:45 am, Jim <j...@NOSpaMync.net> wrote:

> In article <hd8b90$59...@aioe.org>, "AMUN" <antis...@sparmmstop.org> wrote:
> > Jim wrote:

> Or for that matter, I also forgot the Wilburn Bros.
>
> --
> Jim

The Wilburn Brothers shows were great, and I think that Doyle and
Teddy should
have been included in the Country Music Hall of Fame. My favorite
episone was
with the Carter Family (circa 1967?).

I wish they'd leave the sponsorship references intact. There was one,
for some type
of chewing tobacco, that was barely discernable.

jrodg

Nov 9, 2009, 8:20:29 PM11/9/09

References above remind me that last year , at contract renewal time
( apparently such contracts are often renegotiated/renewed
annually ) , BJ was taken off the air for a couple of weeks to
pressure him to agree to RFD's financial conditions --- If this is
essentially a money dispute between RFD TV and BJ ( and particularly
if , as mentioned above, BJ is getting tired of the hassle, being up
in years --- Imagine making these unique efforts , travelling around
the USA arranging and presiding over 40-band festivals year-round ,
when you're in your mid 70's !?! : What a unique , awesome job this
man has been doing ) who could blame him for getting tired of any
aspect of it? So maybe the future of this show is out of our hands,
but still it certainly can't hurt to contact RFD and tell them that
you support the show and how important it is for polka music ---I did
this last nite,simply by googing RFD TV: Right on the website page
there is a big photo of RFD CEO Patrick Gottsch, with a click-on
"Contact me" email address , so it just takes a second to send him a
note and espress support for polka music. That's the least we can do,I
think, at this time when polka music needs all the support we can give
it . RFD TV has been the main , and virtually only, national carrier
of polka music to date, so we should spread the word and try to have
the polka field show the network that it is watching and cares. ---
Thinking about this, incidentally, reminds me how great BJ's
contribution has actually been : Just imagine what energy and effort
it has taken Joe and his people to negotiate and line up all these
festivals and then travel around the country constantly arranging and
filming them : This has been a truly gargantuan task, and it has
required work and constant travel unequalled by any other program I
can think of of any kind. To BJ's detractors ( and sure, of course the
show had its imperfections) and everyone else, I would say that this
program has been unique not only in polka history but in show business
history , period, and that the field truly owes Big Joe and his people
( To a great extent this is a family enterprise ) a huge debt---I know
that many of us will sure miss him when he's gone from the national
scene , and I wonder , and doubt, whether anyone will ever come
anywhere close to doing the work he has done again.
PS: Amun's mention of the 40+ year old Porter Wagoner shows
featuring the young Dolly Parton ( Boy, does that take me back : I
first watched these episodes with others in 1968, while in basic
training in the Army at Fort Dix), and this whole RFD TV situation,
has inspired me to write a polka song on the whole issue : It goes
like this:
I'm in love with Dolly Parton, I love to watch her on TV ---
When I see her singing, it gets me to thinking that she's the country
star for me---Yes,I'm in love with Dolly Parton,and I'm thrilled that
she's on RFD ---but as much as I love Dolly, it bums me out, by
golly , that Big Joe might get kicked off TV.

--- and the morale of the story is, as much as we may like old CW
shows, and find faults with imperfections in the BJPS, we should focus
on promoting and preserving polka music here as much as possible , and
in this context, the fate of the Big Joe Polka Show is really of great
importance to us all.

Jim

Nov 11, 2009, 1:59:26 AM11/11/09
In article <0ae6bf83-a285-4104...@m25g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
RadioEngineer <grolen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gosh, I've watched the show on RFD for what seems like years and I don't recall
ever seeing one where the sound and video were what I thought were even good.
Guess I must have missed some...

--
Jim

Jim

Nov 11, 2009, 2:04:07 AM11/11/09
In article <2742460f-4767-4f9a...@t2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
jrodg <jro...@optonline.net> wrote:

There was a time in Chicago, I think late 50's and into the 60's that there were
polka shows on TV. There was Ron Terry's Polka Party, the International Cafe had
polka's once in a while, and there was another I can't remember but I think Stan
Walowic(Polka Chips) were on it. In the early 50'
s Bomba had a show sponsored by Howard Motors.

The thing is I remember Ron Terry's and have seen some tape of the International
Cafe, and for the time, they were pretty well done. Far better than BJ but not
like Jimmy Sturr's.

--
Jim

ThreeQuarterTimer

Nov 11, 2009, 10:11:53 AM11/11/09
____________________________________

Heh Heh...'BJs & Jimmy Starr' - Whoa boy!

____________________________________

RadioEngineer

Nov 11, 2009, 11:33:28 AM11/11/09
On Nov 11, 2:59 am, Jim <j...@NOSpaMync.net> wrote:
> In article <0ae6bf83-a285-4104-91b5-ed27b05e5...@m25g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
>

> Gosh, I've watched the show on RFD for what seems like years and I don't recall
> ever seeing one where the sound and video were what I thought were even good.
> Guess I must have missed some...
>
> --
> Jim

You have to remember one thing, Jimmy Sturrs shows were done in a
night club setting, theatre (Branson, RFD-TV) , or on a studio sound
stage where it is much easier to achieve better quality sound.

The Texas (Round Top, Carmine) shoots were done in what was
essentially a pre-fabricated steel structure (steel barn) with a
plywood floor, try even getting a sound level in a place like that....

The Medina Convention Center sound was more forgiving, as they had a
facility with sound-baffled ceilings...

The way I hear it, Joe does the shows basically out-of-pocket, on a
damn thin shoestring budget, with no help from RFD-TV or anyone else.
They are edited in a room that is no where near what a professional
editing bay should be, and produced for people that pay less for a 10-
hour show ticket than most people pay for cheap lunch. The fact that
he is able to get a show out with even 1/10th the quality that he does
is a testament to a 70+ year-old man's enthusiasm for a genre that
would be nearly invisible if not for him.

Bitch if you wish, I doubt anyone else could do a fraction of the job
he and his crew does, and with the obstacles they have to overcome.

Oh, by the way, conventional RFD-TV is not decoded into a stereo
signal by most cable carriers (bandwidth ain't cheap), DirecTV, or
DishNetwork, TBJPS is produced (after 2005) in stereo. The RFD-TV HD
version is a slightly different story.

I've been in nursing homes when TBJPS comes on, and it's a joy to see
those people come to life, if for only an hour. That in itself makes
his efforts worth enduring the bitching and complaining, and that's
probably why he does it.

It sure as hell isn't for the money...

He does what he can, with what he has, so be it...

jrodg

Nov 11, 2009, 12:36:45 PM11/11/09

God bless you for that , RE : Nobody could have said it better ,
either in technical or in purely human terms.

Jim

Nov 11, 2009, 1:21:20 PM11/11/09
In article <02faee1a-4c50-43b2...@g31g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
RadioEngineer <grolen...@gmail.com> wrote:

I understand that he's on the shoestring budget plan. I also see what those like
the nursing home folks think of his show. Then again to a thirsty man, any
liquid is a drink...and that is part of what we see.

I suppose what really is needed is some more competition.

Regardless, I'm still happy it's on, I just wish it was better.

--
Jim

Jim

Nov 12, 2009, 1:29:10 PM11/12/09
In article <62427915-4ff8-4944...@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
ThreeQuarterTimer <ThreeQua...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Guess that didn't type out quite right! Darn typing....

--
Jim

jrodg

Nov 14, 2009, 7:36:47 PM11/14/09
On Nov 12, 1:29 pm, Jim <j...@NOSpaMync.net> wrote:
> In article <62427915-4ff8-4944-b49e-499b2581b...@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,

>  ThreeQuarterTimer <ThreeQuarterTi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > ____________________________________
>
> > Heh Heh...'BJs & Jimmy Starr' - Whoa boy!
>
> > ____________________________________
>
> Guess that didn't type out quite right! Darn typing....
>
> --
> Jim

Important news onthis subject, I think: I just received a response
from Mr.P. Gottsch, President/CEO of RFD-TV, in which he stated that
rumors about the discontinuation of theBig Joe Show are completely
false. Mr. Gottsch wrote "Where in the world would anyone get that
idea ? ---Polka programming has been a leading and favorite part of
RFD-TV's programming since Day 1 and will remain so. He urged everyone
on this site , instead of spreading rumors which confuse the polka
audience and hinder the station's efforts, to support RFD-TV, which he
stressed is and always has been the only national TV service to ever
support polka programming.
This is a strong and important statement, I think . Anyone wishing
to see the original email ,excerpts of which I quote above, can do so
by sending me an email address -- I'll reply with it as an attachment.
I would think that anyone else who has contacted the RFDTV probably
received a similar response. This all makes me wonder why the
cancellation rumors arose in the first place --- It is true that the
show was put on hold last year during contract negotiations, so I
think the issue may be a bit more complex than we know: In any case
Mr. Gottsch's reply sounds encouraging. As a big fan of the show, I
have certainly always promoted it, and RFD for carrying it and the J.
Sturr show, whenever possible , and I think Mr. Gottsch is right when
he says that those who support the cause of polka music nationwide
certainly should do so at every oportunity. I replied to Mr. Gottsch
that I was deeply appreciative to RFD for carrying the programming and
would urge everyone who can to do the same. As others have written
above, this network and the shows it carries are virtually the only
nationwide exposure polka music receives, as well as being a joy, and
even a godsend, to countless viewers.

RadioEngineer

Nov 20, 2009, 1:07:22 PM11/20/09

As of this moment, a little "elf" (hey, it's almost Christmas) tells
me that the Big Joe Show IS in talks with a family-friendly TV
syndicator, and that Joe has apparently had enough of the current
state of negotiations, which has become a holiday tradition that he
can no longer tolerate.

That same elf also (after keying the side of my car) tells me that the

Let's just pray that Santa sprinkles some "happy dust" over all
concerned, so that we can once again enjoy newly minted episodes of
the Big Joe Polka Show. That is the end result that would be best for
all, and remember, it's Christmas, and yes, Virginia, there is a Santa
Claus.