Yeah..

rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 30, 1994, 9:01:22 PM12/30/94
From: rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()
Date: 31 Dec 1994 08:01:22 GMT

Someone say something (anything) about the music. I just finished
reading 80-some Fucking posts hoping to hear someone's useful
observations about the MUSIC.

Hey, look where I'm from -- Edmonton!!! You know, Edmonton, industrial
capital of the world. Our scene is so bad-ass that not even Trent dares
show his mug around here. Yeah, <umm>, so what does it matter what to
wear at a show? How a person looks?

Okay. Done preaching now (roast me alive, It's too fucking cold up
here anyhow).

RE: Closer; I think this is one of the best songs on TDS, because it
draws most of the other songs together under some kind of standard. For
the first time on the disk, there's a feeling of some kind of stream of
thought going on... The TDS theme is a beatiful touch at the end leading
into Ruiner.

RE: Trent's sense of humor. Nothing short of brilliant. Subtle, almost
undetectable at times, but definitely there. I think the chorus to Heresy
is one of the funniest things to come along in a long time. Who else
would put a bass riff sounding more like Barnes and Barnes than any
Goth/Hardcore song I can think of in Closer. And the lounge act in March
of the Pigs.....<Heh>.

One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on
Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh? Nevermind.>

It's been fun.

<<Trent smiles on you all>>

| via: UTI Systems BBS (815) 942-2930 Welcome my son, to the machine. |

MC Death

Dec 30, 1994, 9:27:35 PM12/30/94
From: MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 00:27:35 -0800

On 31 Dec 1994 rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote (is this guy related
to Ronnie, BTW?):

> One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on
> Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
> they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh? Nevermind.>

* MOLG is incredible! Very thoughtful and complex lyrics, and musically,
they are hard to classify, which is good. Their music seems so
cinema-esque, as there is more of a strong "mood" that is evoked out of
their compositions. Also, their synth/sample sounds are very refreshing
and is far from trite. A very worthwhile band, IMHO...

M.C.death, who liked MOLG before their involvement with trent...

Chris Wiberg

Dec 31, 1994, 7:42:01 AM12/31/94
From: Chris Wiberg <wib...@ux5.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 12:42:01 -0600

I like Machines of Loving Grace. They're not exactly "old school"
industrial, but then, I don't really listen to "old school" industrial
anyway (never owned a single Throbbing Gristle album in my life). I
think they're a pretty good pop band that's actually doing something
other than grunge rock, and for that alone, I think they're a few yards
above most of the shit on college radio.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CHRIS WIBERG (writer, yeah, and I like crunchy pb too)........................
*Homepage* http://ux5.cso.uiuc.edu/~wiberg (writing, music, other stuff)
"You said that irony was the shackles of youth" -R.E.M., "What's the
Frequency, Kenneth?"
*CAT MACHINE* WWW Literary Magazine http://ux5.cso.uiuc.edu/~c-cook/cat
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

MC Death

Dec 31, 1994, 3:27:35 AM12/31/94
On 31 Dec 1994 rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote (is this guy related
to Ronnie, BTW?):

> One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on

> Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
> they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh? Nevermind.>

* MOLG is incredible! Very thoughtful and complex lyrics, and musically,

Chris Wiberg

Dec 31, 1994, 1:42:01 PM12/31/94

Jeanne Fromer

Dec 31, 1994, 8:18:03 PM12/31/94
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.941231002406.14417E-100000@gladstone>,
MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> opined "correct"ly:

>On 31 Dec 1994 rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote (is this guy related
>to Ronnie, BTW?):
>* MOLG is incredible! Very thoughtful and complex lyrics, and musically,
>they are hard to classify, which is good. Their music seems so
>cinema-esque, as there is more of a strong "mood" that is evoked out of
>their compositions. Also, their synth/sample sounds are very refreshing
>and is far from trite. A very worthwhile band, IMHO...

Agreed... Couldn't have said it better myself MC! _Concentration_ does
remind me slightly of NIN though :)

>M.C.death, who liked MOLG before their involvement with trent...

Well I only discovered them based on _The Crow_ soundtrack and loved that song
and bought their CDs. When I found out afterwards that Trent remixed _Burn
Like Brilliant Trash_, I got that too... Sue me for being a poser :)

Jeannie Silliest Fromer

MC Death

Jan 1, 1995, 4:33:47 AM1/1/95
On 1 Jan 1995, Jeannie Silliest Fromer instigated this legal action:

> Well I only discovered them based on _The Crow_ soundtrack and loved that song
> and bought their CDs. When I found out afterwards that Trent remixed _Burn
> Like Brilliant Trash_, I got that too... Sue me for being a poser :)
>
> Jeannie Silliest Fromer

* Well, I dunno...I don't think I want to sue you...I'd hate to get wads
of money from you that are smothered in crunchy pb... :)

I was fortunate enough to come across MOLG's first album when I was
working at a non-commercial radio station, saw them twice (once with
Thrill Kill Kult, and other time with Stabbing Westward and Course of
Empire), and met the drummer Brad Kemp in the latrine at The Satyricon in
Portland, Oregon (didn't shake his hands, tho...). When I talked to Mike,
the keyboard player, i grilled him about any info on NIN's TDS (this was
in late February, weeks before the release), and he basically said
something to the effect of, "That guy (Reznor) is just so musically
incredible!"

BTW, they did play "Golgotha Tenement Blues" at that show... :)
Happy New Years, Jeannie!

M.C.Death

MC Death

Dec 31, 1994, 10:33:47 PM12/31/94
From: MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 01:33:47 -0800

M.C.Death

Elana

Jan 2, 1995, 1:34:37 AM1/2/95
MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> synthesized:

<sigh> You know, you are really silly sometimes. I think some of
_concentration_ sucks (tho IMo "Butterfly Wings" is a catchy-ass song)
but Randy has some of their older-ish stuff and it's not bad.

So I spose it's all song-dependent, at least, for me it is.
Love,
the piggyfucker, who followed up but had nothing of much use to say.

--
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
mother is the name for god on the lips and hearts of all children. -- The Crow
gonna smash myself to pieces gonna fuck myself up i am sifting through the
ashes of what i have become i gave myself away now i'm nothing--Trent Reznor
Elana, akak piggyfucker, aka prowess, as always arm...@netcom.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Woody Hanscom

Jan 2, 1995, 8:12:58 AM1/2/95
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950101012716.3263B-100000@gladstone>, MC Death
<mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On 1 Jan 1995, Jeannie Silliest Fromer instigated this legal action:
>
> > Well I only discovered them based on _The Crow_ soundtrack and loved
that song
> > and bought their CDs. When I found out afterwards that Trent remixed _Burn
> > Like Brilliant Trash_, I got that too... Sue me for being a poser :)

Another MoLG (molg? cute sound) fan up here. A friend told me that reznor
had done some work with them, so I went out and picked up their first
album (at the time, was all that was out), only to figure out trent was
nowhere on that, but was still a really good disc. Proceeded to find the
BLBT single, then Rite of Shiva, and later Concentration. Like them
all...especially ŚAll I really Needą off of the RoS single. Funny...not
incredibly great, musically, but funny. Have heard there are singles off
of Concentration, but nobody up here carries them...mayhaps when I get
down to Seattle...

Woody Hanscom
    wo...@alaska.net

łi tried i gave up i threw it away˛

Kathy Tibbetts

Jan 2, 1995, 11:13:59 AM1/2/95
MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote (is this guy related to Ronnie, BTW?):
>
>> One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on
>> Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
>> they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh? Nevermind.>
>
>* MOLG is incredible! Very thoughtful and complex lyrics, and musically,
>they are hard to classify, which is good. Their music seems so
>cinema-esque, as there is more of a strong "mood" that is evoked out of
>their compositions. Also, their synth/sample sounds are very refreshing
>and is far from trite. A very worthwhile band, IMHO...

MLG? Oh, I swaaaaaaan! I'da liked 'em anyway, but I have to love them 'cause
they're responsible for one of my very best rocking-out-behind-the-wheel
experiences. First time I ever heard them was in December 1991 while
driving down West Northwest Highway, one of the cheezier 'n' sleazier parts
of Dallas-Fort Worth (lots of liquor stores, "gentlemen's clubs," and
all-nite porn shops, as well as one or two really good dance clubs and a
neon-and-chaser-light decorator scheme that makes the whole area look like
Vegas on Bachman Lake). It was about 3:30 in the goddam morning, and the DJ
on duty at the Hedge got bold for a second or two and threw on "Rite of
Shiva." What an incredible mix of music and atmosphere! I get all shivery
just thinkin' about it. It was almost as good as the time they played "Bela
Lugosi's Dead" one night while I was driving I-20 through Mountain Valley
during a colossal Texas lightning storm. Real wrath-o'-God type stuff. Not
a dry seat in the house. Or car. Or whatever. -- KT

Steeve Vajk

Jan 2, 1995, 4:02:58 PM1/2/95
: Well I only discovered them based on _The Crow_ soundtrack and loved that song

: and bought their CDs. When I found out afterwards that Trent remixed _Burn
: Like Brilliant Trash_, I got that too... Sue me for being a poser :)

Well I discovered them when a friend of mine who works at tower records
(local chain in the bay aera) had their album.. kinda liked it.. Bought it.
sorta went from there, now i have all there stuff EXCEPT butterflys wings
single, which was never relasesed as a single, just to radio stations.
For anyone who has gotten Concentration, I STRONGLY advise you get
Machines of Loving Grace, their first album. It's just as good, if not
better, but only 9 trax. ALSO : Go into alt.machines.of.loving.grace
where some times appearanly band members show up.. at least they said
they did on a not so rcent interview here in s.f.,ca. there's been
tlak of disbanding that newsgroup, so all you fants get your butt inthere.

Max
m...@nwcs.mhs.comuserve.com
or
m...@bif.com
(don't autoreply to this feed)

MC Death

Jan 2, 1995, 10:42:02 PM1/2/95
On Mon, 2 Jan 1995, Elana wrote:

> MC Death <mcd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu> synthesized:
>
> >On 31 Dec 1994 rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote (is this guy related
> >to Ronnie, BTW?):
> >> One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on
> >> Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
> >> they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh? Nevermind.>
> >* MOLG is incredible! Very thoughtful and complex lyrics, and musically,
> >they are hard to classify, which is good. Their music seems so
> >cinema-esque, as there is more of a strong "mood" that is evoked out of
> >their compositions. Also, their synth/sample sounds are very refreshing
> >and is far from trite. A very worthwhile band, IMHO...
> >M.C.death, who liked MOLG before their involvement with trent...
>
> <sigh> You know, you are really silly sometimes. I think some of
> _concentration_ sucks (tho IMo "Butterfly Wings" is a catchy-ass song)
> but Randy has some of their older-ish stuff and it's not bad.
>
> So I spose it's all song-dependent, at least, for me it is.
> Love,
> the piggyfucker, who followed up but had nothing of much use to say.

* oh, if you wanted to be less than useful, you could have wasted
bandwidth talking shit about how ignorant that us a.m.ninnies are... :)
After all, your analysis of MOLG was rather good and honest, rather than
superfluously pretentious to the 54th degree...

M.C.Death

Andrew Clegg

Jan 3, 1995, 3:48:00 PM1/3/95
> From: rea...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()

> One last thing: Pardon my ignoramusness, but what's the beta on
> Machines of Loving Grace? Anyone like them? Or am I wrong in thinking
> they scrape a little bit on the bottom of the barrel.... <Huh?
> Nevermind.>

I like them. I have heard a grand total of two of their songs; one was
Golgotha Tenement Blues (off the Crow soundtrack) which was okay, and the
other was Burn Like Brilliant Trash (At Jackie's Funeral), the Burnt
Offering mix, on the compilation Hotwired Monstertrux. It is an absolutely
stunningly good song. Incredible vocal melodies, great instrumentation,
catchy but hard-edged riffs, etc etc etc...

Their material seems to be really hard to find in the UK which pisses me
off greatly.

Andrew.