A real NIN question!!!!

Grand Gizzard

Dec 15, 1994, 1:51:39 PM12/15/94
>I just got halo 4. I think, in _Get Down Make Love_, I heard a sped-up,
>possibly reversed, sample from the original vocals. It's during the weird
>sounds towards the end of the track. Anyone know if this is real, or just
>more analog synth?

>| it won't give up it wants me dead | |\ | | | /| | jones.794 |
>| goddamn this noise inside my head | | \ | | | / | | @ohio-state.edu |
>| Trent Reznor | | \| | |/ | | Stop the Clipper! |
It is the original GDML from the Queen album _News of the
World_. I am not sure about the title of the album, but it is
something like that. It is simply a CD forward advance through the
song al the way to the last guitar riff. He uses the same effect in
the _Fixed_ version of Gave Up.
Grand Gizzard

Woody Hanscom

Dec 16, 1994, 9:26:12 AM12/16/94
Matt Jones> I just got halo 4. I think, in _Get Down Make Love_, I
Matt Jones> heard a sped-up, possibly reversed, sample from the
Matt Jones> original vocals. It's during the weird sounds towards the
Matt Jones> end of the track. Anyone know if this is real, or just more
Matt Jones> analog synth?

c.s.y.> In the original version of this song by Queen, there is a
c.s.y.> strange part in the song as well, with weird
c.s.y.> "bddldldlddbdldlddddburp" noises and Freddie
c.s.y.> moaning/groaning/singing/whatever.
c.s.y.>
c.s.y.> Anyways, this weird part from the original is what was sampled
c.s.y.> in the NIN cover, methinks...

As far as I can tell, after being a fan of both Queen and nin for quite a
while (simple statement, no flames necessary <grin>), Iąd be willing to
bet that all that Śsampleą is, is holding down the fast forward button on
a cd player and panning it back and forth during the goofball experimental
middle section of GDML. Oh yeah, plus the WWRY riff at the end. Yowza.

Woody

Woody Hanscom
    wo...@alaska.net

łi tried i gave up i threw it away˛

Andrew Clegg

Dec 17, 1994, 10:05:00 PM12/17/94
GG> From: avi...@wkuvx1.wku.edu (Grand Gizzard)

GG> It is the original GDML from the Queen album _News of the
GG> World_. I am not sure about the title of the album, but it is
GG> something like that.

Sounds like it could well be, it's the name of a British tabloid
newspaper; the sort of thing Queen loved to parody.

GG> It is simply a CD forward advance through the
GG> song al the way to the last guitar riff. He uses the same effect in
GG> the _Fixed_ version of Gave Up.

I once did a remix of Screaming Slave by skipping to the end of the
song, and doing a CD reverse all the way back to the start. It sucked
but it sure was industrial.

Andrew.