Kedgeree!

Doug Boucher

Jan 9, 2001, 9:33:30 PM1/9/01
I had a fairly dismal excuse for a day today, but I figured that my plans
for dinner would help everything out. I was almost right.

I've been wanting to try my hand at making this little dish called kedgeree
for a while now, especially since I've been doing a fair amount of cooking
lately (Sheryl has got me domesticated. I even use the paper now) and I'll
try about anything. Bill T told me about how to make it a couple months ago
and after Brad Dahl posted a recipe to RF2 yesterday, I decided it was time.

I had to go buy some stuff for it and I got the rice, but the store didn't
have smoked haddock. Bill told me you could used even the kippered herring
that you get in the little tins (I used to eat the shit out of that when I
was a kid) so I got it instead. But I made another stop later in the evening
at the store and found haddock. Seven bucks a pound? I got just over half a
pound, which was what the recipe called for.

When I got back home after my shitty day, I got the rice going and tried to
hard-boil two eggs. I've never boiled an egg in my life. When I try to fry
them, they end up scrambled half the time because I fuck them up and then
get pissed off and attack them with a fork until I get something that looks
halfway decent. I suck at cooking eggs. Remember this fact.

Sheryl asked me to play her Bad News' version of Bohemian Rhapsody and also
asked about The Dickies, so I started off with the Dickie's version of
Nights In White Satin. I love punk. This was while waiting on the stuff to
cook, while I opened sa tin of kippered herrings for my appetizer. Sheryl
looked at me like I was insane and asked how much fat and calories are in
it. Wow, this shit is bad for me! No wonder I like it! (200 calories a tin,
11% saturated fat. I'm going to Hell.)

I got the rice cooked an drained and started on the haddock. Pulled the eggs
out, waited for a while. Opened a container of minced onions since I'd
forgotten to buy an onion. As I tried to shake the onions into a cup, the
lid came off and the entire bottle emptied out. I got half of it back in but
couldn't figure where the lid went. Remember that too.

The fish got done and I chopped it up. It occurred to me that this was
taking twice as long to do as I thought it would. Then I went to dice the
eggs up. I started to shell the first egg. My finger went right through and
half an egg splattered all over my shirt. Shitfuckyfuckyfuck! What do I know
from boiled eggs? So I put the other one back in with a new one and tried to
forget about them for long enough toboil them properly. And took my
egg-shirt off. I am the Egg Man! Goo goo ga...fucking goo all over my shirt!

Melt butter in the skillet. Put the onions in. Forget the instructions to
get the onions only soft and leave them on three times longer than I should
because I'm too busy trying to figure out how long I'm supposed to let a
friggin' egg boil so it won't spit on my clothing. Look through The Joy Of
Cooking and realize that if you told me a year ago I'd be spending this much
time in the kitchen, I'd have laughed and thrown my empty Taco Bell wrappers
at you. Stop to think about how shitty I now think Taco Bell is even after
eating MY shit. Remember that the onions are frying.

The eggs came out OK. I diced them while my cat looked at me as if to say
"What the hell is THAT crap?" But Fluffy is the kind of cat who will crawl
onto my guitar case, curl up, and slide right off onto the floor, so I don't
pay him much attention. I throw the eggs, fish, and rice (the rice that's
been sitting there for an hour now while I do all this other stuff way too
slowly) in with the onions and stir. And stir. Stir in some pepper and some
salt substitute. Sheryl doesn't eat real salt because she's smarter than me
and will likely live longer. (Especially on nights like tonight when she got
something to eat before I came home and said "No thanks" to my offer of
kedgeree in the nicest, sweetest way that still essentially said "You've got
to be kidding.") Then I serve up my creation with parsley sprinkled on top
and I've got a meal!

It's pretty good stuff. I have no clue what it has to do with the best song
ever written in the history of the universe ever, but it's pretty good
stuff. Despite the fact that *I'm* the idiot who made it. I took three bites
and found a little present - the lid from the minced onions. Doh!

It occurs to me that this is the kind of thing I'd like to have with a good
beer, but I'm being a good boy and cutting back on my drinking. So I had
milk. And now I'm listening to Nonkertompf. Life is good. Love your life.

Dougie

Adrian Clark

Jan 10, 2001, 6:18:03 AM1/10/01
Doug Boucher <dNObo...@cinciSPAM.rr.com> wrote:

> It's pretty good stuff. I have no clue what it has to do with the best song
> ever written in the history of the universe ever, but it's pretty good
> stuff. Despite the fact that *I'm* the idiot who made it. I took three bites
> and found a little present - the lid from the minced onions. Doh!

LOL! That account nearly caused me to shower my computer with breakfast
(scrambled eggs... "all my troubles were so far away"...)

Interestingly enough, a browse in one of my recipe books reveals that
Kedgeree (the dish, not Mike's song) developed out of Kitcheree, which
is quite different. Presumably those tight-laced Victorians tasted some
of the colonial food and went "What is this shit? You want to put some
fish in there, mate; liven it up a bit"

So, in the spirit of historical context, here's how you make Kitcheree
(never tried this myself, mind)...

Mix 8oz of basmati rice and 8oz of yellow lentils; leave to soak in cold
water for an hour. Fry a sliced garlic clove, 5 cardamom pods and a
2-inch cinnamon stick in ghee (or butter) for a minute. Add a sliced
onion and fry another minute. Add the drained rice and lentils and a
teaspoonful of turmeric. Stir over a low heat for 4-5 mins. Pour over
enough boiling water to cover the rice plus an extra inch, cover with a
tight lid and simmer until the rice is cooked and all liquid is
absorbed.

I'm now hoping that MK will record a song called Kitcheree (complete
with scratchy 78rpm-style background noise).

Adrian

--
VISIT THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY --- http://www.spaghetti-factory.co.uk

THINK THIS --- "If you can say it, you can play it" (Frank Zappa)

Sheryl

Jan 10, 2001, 6:58:58 AM1/10/01
Despite the smell, it actually looked like it turned out alright, he's
getting the hang of the cooking thing. I'm proud of him for trying.

One small confession: He's right, I don't add salt to food, and I wasn't
about enough to try the greasy fish-stuff, which gives the impression that
I'm being good and only into healthy foods these days. That's mostly true,
I'm eating more carefully than ever before. But...

The real reason I opted not to eat his experiment was because I had just
consumed a can of Spaghettio's for dinner. The neat round spaghetti you
can eat with a spoon! I love those damn things. They're best when left in
the fridge to get nice and cold. And I'm not gonna look at the nutrition
label, there's little reason.

Most pregnant women crave things like pickles, vinegar, or ice cream. I
want Spaghettios. Think if I wrote them a letter, they'd send me a case?

ap...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 8:48:35 AM1/10/01
Good story. And it sound slike you blow me away in the cooking
department. I have a hard time bringing water to a boil. And now that I
think of it, I really have no patience for cooking.

Is this Indian ?

Scott Lurowist
--
"It's true, isn't it. It's easy to be a Holy man on the top of a
mountain."

Bill Murray from the Razor's Edge.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

mle...@bigfoot.com

Jan 10, 2001, 9:02:04 AM1/10/01
In article <_RP66.715$y55....@typhoon.kc.rr.com>,
"Doug Boucher" <dNObo...@cinciSPAM.rr.com> wrote:

> It's pretty good stuff. I have no clue what it has to do with the
best song
> ever written in the history of the universe ever, but it's pretty good
> stuff.

By the way (I hadn't realized I'd tossed this out when I made my second
draft of my Dance Fever entry), I think that Mike should have named the
song "Love Your Life." I think that would have made a stronger
statement than not singing those words and putting them in the
booklet. Instead, don't sing those words and put them in the song
title. Then we wouldn't have to wonder what Kedgeree has to do with
the song. Maybe Mike could have put a parenthetical comment at the end
of the lyrics that said "for best listening enjoyment, make some
kedgeree, and don't forget to remove the lid from the minced onions!"

Lerch

Tom Yost

Jan 10, 2001, 11:27:14 AM1/10/01
Doug Boucher wrote:

> I've been wanting to try my hand at making this little dish called kedgeree
> for a while now, ...

Whoa, Doug - you better stick to 5 way chili !

Tom

Doug Boucher

Jan 10, 2001, 11:45:57 AM1/10/01
<mle...@bigfoot.com> wrote

> Maybe Mike could have put a parenthetical comment at the end
> of the lyrics that said "for best listening enjoyment, make some
> kedgeree, and don't forget to remove the lid from the minced onions!"

I just got a weird picture in my head of Mike as the Frugal Gourmet. Shoot
me, somebody.

Dougie

Doug Boucher

Jan 10, 2001, 12:05:24 PM1/10/01
"Tom Yost" <t...@gSePsApMac.com> wrote

> Whoa, Doug - you better stick to 5 way chili !

Whee! I'm off to Skyline!

(They told me to, honey! It's THEIR fault!)

Dougie

ap...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 2:17:36 PM1/10/01
In article <68Y66.7553$EA2.5...@typhoon.kc.rr.com>,
"Sheryl" <swarren...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> The real reason I opted not to eat his experiment was because I had
just
> consumed a can of Spaghettio's for dinner. The neat round spaghetti
>you
> can eat with a spoon! I love those damn things. They're best when
>left in
> the fridge to get nice and cold. And I'm not gonna look at the
>nutrition
> label, there's little reason.

Wow. I probably haven't had them since I was a kid. Now you got me
craving them. I used to love them.

Buying a case on the way home,

Scott Lurowist