ZpZ in Amsterdam

Antal

May 15, 2006, 6:49:43 PM5/15/06
Just got home from the Zappa Plays Zappa concert in Amsterdam. Very mixed
feelings. Not sure what to say, because I know some of you will be going to
one of the shows soon. It wasn't great.

--
Antal
the mike keneally tour chronology:

tren...@aol.com

May 15, 2006, 7:29:24 PM5/15/06

What did you not like about it? The reviews I've read so far at
Zappa.com suggest that it was an awesome show.

PAULB

May 16, 2006, 3:05:54 AM5/16/06
Antal is not a Zappa fan I think.

3 hours long the most gorgeous Zappa songs performed by the BEST
MUSICIANS EVER!

It started with a movie on a big screen...ROXY 1973 Montana and Duprees
Paradise!

Then the concert began and immediately it was that good zappa vibe!
Mostly 70's songs superb performed by Napoleon Murphy Brock. It was
getting better and better.

Then Terry Bozzio came on stage to peform I'm so cute, chin, punky
meadows, the black page (with Joe Travers) , during that song Steve Vai
came on stage and that was so awesome!!!!

Very emotional to see all these guys after all these years together on
stage. During the playing of Sofa Dweezil broke down in tears (so did
Joe)...and so did we...

Playlist:
Help I'm A Rock
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Let's make the water turn black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twilight
Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepniz
King Kong
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast
Vivien O'Blivion
Inca Roads
I'm So Cute
Trying to Grow A Chin
City Of Tiny Lights
Punky's Whips
Black Page pt 1 and 2
Peaches en Regalia..
Montana
Village Of The Sun
Edchina's Arf of you
Zomby Woof
Sofa .. 2
Encore:
Camarillo Brillo
Son of Orange County
Trouble Every Day
Token of my extreme

andy...@gmail.com

May 16, 2006, 8:17:32 AM5/16/06
Paul,

Antal is very much a Zappa fan; if he doesn't like a show, its not
because he lacks Zappa fan credentials...

Andrew

Antal Adriaanse

May 16, 2006, 11:21:32 AM5/16/06
"PAULB" schreef ...

> Antal is not a Zappa fan I think.

Far from it. I am just not really into nostalgia.

AA

Hagrinas Mivali

May 16, 2006, 1:14:28 PM5/16/06

I know the feeling. I have very fond memories of the days when I was not
into nostalgia, and keep looking back to them.

PAULB

May 16, 2006, 1:25:42 PM5/16/06
I saw FZ perform with Terry Bozzio and Napoleon Murophy Brock perform
in 1976 and now 30 years later again in Amsterdam. It was awesome and
what the F**K is wrong with a bit nostalgia for the old folks...And yes
I shed a few tears together with my wife and daughter. Guess that Zappa
means more then only the music for me. To me it was my 12th. Frank
Zappa concert in holland.

Chris Opperman

May 16, 2006, 1:55:01 PM5/16/06

Hey Paul,

I think it's awesome that you had such an emotional and muscially
rewarding experience at the ZpZ show and I am wayyyyyy looking foward
to seeing the band myself.

There are always naysayers in everything, but I personally think that
just the idea of it is great and if the execution isn't as perfect as
it could be...well...Frank isn't there, but they're doing the best they
can and they're celebrating the wonderful music of a wonderful man and
that's certainly something to respect. And it's awesome that you love
Frank's music so much.

Chris

PAULB

May 16, 2006, 3:39:58 PM5/16/06
Thanks Chris. You are a true zappa fan too.

MUSIC IS THE BEST! YOU'LL HAVE A BLAST!

Antal

May 16, 2006, 6:43:34 PM5/16/06
"Chris Opperman" schreef ...

> There are always naysayers in everything, but I personally think that
> just the idea of it is great and if the execution isn't as perfect as
> it could be...well...Frank isn't there, but they're doing the best they
> can and they're celebrating the wonderful music of a wonderful man and
> that's certainly something to respect.

Ouch. That hurts.;-) I am not a naysayer. Vai was great (and skinny). Bozzio
was great. Napoleon is a god. Travers held it all together. Good bassplayer.
The show had its good moments. The sounds wasn't great. Dweezil is not a
frontman. The arrangements remained close to the 1974, 1979, 1981 and 1988
arrangements (case in point King Kong), somewhat on the safe side. Inca
Roads was played at almost half the tempo. I went to the show expecting a
very well-trained Zappa coverband, and frankly, although there was some
great playing (like Vai's solo) and I enjoyed listening to this wonderful
music in a live setting, I have seen better (Project/Object, Ed Palermo,
Ossi something). To me the show didn't live up to the big words used by the
ZFT. It seems a lot of people think different. I'm cool with that.

Meanwhile, the Roxy video was yummy.

James Warner

May 16, 2006, 10:53:03 PM5/16/06
Wow, I hardly feel qualified/justified in getting involved in this debate,
having only really only discovered Zappa's music in the last year or so. I
did just want to say that I am really looking forward to the ZPZ gig in
Manchester, UK next month. I think its great that Antal can be objective
enough to note where the concert didn't quite meet his expectations, but I
also agree with Chris Opperman in that these musicians presenting Frank's
music obviously care a great deal for the music they are playing and seem to
be doing a very good job. Also please remember, there are bound to be many
people at Zappa Plays Zappa gigs who have never experienced live
performances of Zappa material. It is great that you have witnessed things
like Project/Object but I, and many others, haven't so its not all
nostalgia. I don't mean to rant, so I'm going to stop there.

Just to say I really do have a lot of respect for the people on this message
board, i dont contribute very often, but I read posts on here almost
religiously because there seems to be so many intelligent and kind people on
here and it has sort of felt like a Zappa catch-up lesson. You are all very
cool people, from what I can tell,

James

"Antal" <chron...@keneally.cRRRom> wrote in message

Bill

May 17, 2006, 7:48:54 AM5/17/06
In article <1147800342.2...@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"PAULB" <pberk...@gmail.com> wrote:

They brought out his corpse?

Michael J. Ventura

May 17, 2006, 7:59:10 AM5/17/06

"Bill" <spam...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Frank isn't dead, he just smells funny.

mike v
--
"No one listens to jazz. Science teachers and the mentally ill, that's all
jazz is for." - Vince Noir, "The Mighty Boosh"

http://www.myspace.com/completebastard

drumzspace

May 17, 2006, 9:12:57 AM5/17/06
Antal wrote:
[snip]

> Inca Roads was played at almost half the tempo.

Ugh. That's the reason I stopped going to P/O shows.

.ben.

PAULB

May 17, 2006, 10:59:32 AM5/17/06
Antal wrote:

> Inca Roads was played at almost half the tempo.

Now WTF is he talking about...I am impressed he knows the right speed
to inca Roads. FZ played it in maybe 50 different tempo's...from the
soivee jazz cocktail version with Sal Marquez on vocals in early 1973
till the superfast late 1974 version...

Bill wrote:

>They brought out his corpse?

No, Frank Zappa was there in spirit, but how would you know, you most
probably weren't there.

Michael J. Ventura

May 17, 2006, 11:31:25 AM5/17/06

"drumzspace" <drumz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well, you should see them on this current tour. They have a 19 yr. old kid
from Paul Green SOR playing drums this time out, and it is without a doubt
the BEST I have ever heard them sound. The drummer makes all the difference.

Chris Opperman

May 17, 2006, 12:14:07 PM5/17/06
Eric Slick is the same kid who played with my east coast version of
Special Opps...he was only 18 then. The kid's a total maniac. I
listened back to the recording of the show a couple times and we played
"The 22nd Overture" in something like 7 minutes. Everything was
up-tempo and it was all nasty. When I finally get to do my east coast
tour (November?) we're going to blow everyone's heads clean off and the
band is going to be Project/Object plus me. They've gotten better and
better.

I just hope "Echidna's" is at the correct tempo since I spent an entire
day copying out Vai's transcription for them. ;).

Also, I think Antal made some good points, but I believe that the whole
point of the exercise in the ZFT's mind was to make it sound as close
to the original recordings as possible. I think that's a little flawed
in the sense that Frank's music (and his arrangements) were always
evolving.

Chris

PAULB

May 17, 2006, 1:09:14 PM5/17/06

Michael J. Ventura

May 17, 2006, 5:37:45 PM5/17/06
"Chris Opperman" <MrO...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Eric Slick is the same kid who played with my east coast version of
> Special Opps...he was only 18 then. The kid's a total maniac. I
> listened back to the recording of the show a couple times and we played
> "The 22nd Overture" in something like 7 minutes. Everything was
> up-tempo and it was all nasty.

Yup, that's him! He's got quite a career ahead of him.

>When I finally get to do my east coast
> tour (November?) we're going to blow everyone's heads clean off and the
> band is going to be Project/Object plus me. They've gotten better and
> better.

Holy Shit, Opp-man! That sounds ENTIRELY awesome!

Chico Enfuego

May 17, 2006, 6:18:02 PM5/17/06

"Chris Opperman" done:

> Eric Slick is the same kid who played with my east coast version of
> Special Opps...he was only 18 then. The kid's a total maniac. I
> listened back to the recording of the show a couple times and we played
> "The 22nd Overture" in something like 7 minutes. Everything was
> up-tempo and it was all nasty. When I finally get to do my east coast
> tour (November?) we're going to blow everyone's heads clean off and the
> band is going to be Project/Object plus me. They've gotten better and
> better.

I just saw P/O last week in Wilkes Barre, PA, and, good lord, this kid
*cooks*. Right on top of the fills, and then deep in the groove. Yummy yummy
yummy. And he's got more hair than I've had in my lifetime total. I also
think we kind of scared him between sets. After some congratulatory
chit-chat, I asked him if he had his tickets... and he said "For what?" and
I said "For the gun show!!" with the obligatory Hogan-esque bicep-flex. HE
joined in with his own pose which was cool. Then my friend asked him if it
was his first time, to which the young drummer replied "No, I've played a
few shows with them" and my friend said "No... I mean *ever*". The young
drummer then said he had to go eat and ran ran ran away. I guess you had to
be there... I feel old.

Anyway - Eric Slick - amazing

Oppy coming East - Cause for release of doves & balloons.

WB

Bill

May 17, 2006, 7:48:40 PM5/17/06
In article <uiNag.9888$UY6.9084@trnddc08>,
"Chico Enfuego" <pid...@widdly.pu> wrote:

I saw him with Adrian Belew at the School or Rock show in VA earlier
this year. He was powerful.

Bill

May 17, 2006, 7:49:33 PM5/17/06
In article <1147877971.4...@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"PAULB" <pberk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, WTF would I know.

Lerch

May 18, 2006, 10:35:01 AM5/18/06
After reading this article, I think I see a little more of what Antal
means:

http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2006/Art/0518/calen1.php: Just another
band from L.A. - Dweezil Zappa pays lively homage to his father's music

In it, Dweezil says this of The Grandmothers and Project/Object: "I
have nothing good to say about either of those bands," he says.
"There's some history between some former band members and the family
that is not pleasant. And Frank wrote the music to be played in a
specific way. You don't get to change it just because you were in the
band." He also mentions how ZPZ is the shit because they're sometimes
using the *actual instruments and amplifiers* used to record these
songs. You know, that's neat and all, but I don't think FZ really gave
a shit about that, and I certainly don't give a shit about that.

I'm excited as hell to see ZPZ, I really can't wait. But it's because
I love hearing Zappa music played live and/or well and/or passionately.
I don't give a roaring fuck whether or not you're using a the very
Gibson that's on the cover of the Roxy album or if it's re-realized in
a big band format or on a music box. Grab a brand new guitar at Sam
Ash and plug it directly into the PA using a direct box. Who gives a
fuck?

Long live ZPZ, long live P/O, long live anybody playing any tunes by
any composer passionately and accurately. As far as Zappa, with all
those songs, there should be enough to keep it played every night in
every town and bar for miles around. For fuck's sake.

Lerch

Chris Opperman

May 18, 2006, 12:32:33 PM5/18/06
Word up!

Tom Yost

May 18, 2006, 12:59:40 PM5/18/06

Whoa, folks. Perhaps "wasn't great" should not be extrapolated into
"sucks big hairy donkey balls."

Tom
(hoping it doesn't suck big hairy donkey balls)

drumzspace

May 18, 2006, 4:25:51 PM5/18/06
Tom Yost wrote:
> Whoa, folks. Perhaps "wasn't great" should not be extrapolated into
> "sucks big hairy donkey balls."

What's more, a difference in opinion should not be treated as hate
speech. It's not like Tal made a bunch of totally off-the-wall,
completely uninformed remarks; he went and saw a concert. He didn't
like it as much as he had hoped. Bummer.

I love me some Zappa, but even HE had bummer concerts, and Dweezil
certainly does not shit diamonds. Therefore, it is totally possible
that the very first public performance of Dweezil's "summer camp" was
not exactly up to par with the '88 band. What's more, it's possible
that a lot of people really liked it. Good for them. And I hope all
you folks who spent a lot of your hard-earned bucks for a ticket really
enjoy yourselves. If I was going to be in the country, I'd go. But oh
well.

Let's not let rabid fandom drive us to bash each other when we
disagree, okay?

Alright. Enough of this hippie shit.

.ben.

Michael J. Ventura

May 18, 2006, 4:30:27 PM5/18/06

"Lerch" <mike....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> After reading this article, I think I see a little more of what Antal
> means:
>
> http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2006/Art/0518/calen1.php: Just another
> band from L.A. - Dweezil Zappa pays lively homage to his father's music
>
> In it, Dweezil says this of The Grandmothers and Project/Object: "I
> have nothing good to say about either of those bands," he says.
> "There's some history between some former band members and the family
> that is not pleasant. And Frank wrote the music to be played in a
> specific way. You don't get to change it just because you were in the
> band." He also mentions how ZPZ is the shit because they're sometimes
> using the *actual instruments and amplifiers* used to record these
> songs.

Well fuck-a-doodle-doo. Owning a set of golf clubs does not make you Tiger
Woods.

mike v
(nonplussed)

Bill

May 18, 2006, 7:16:03 PM5/18/06
In article <LrydnWcm1cP...@comcast.com>,

"Michael J. Ventura" <Ign...@squatmail.com> wrote:

> "Lerch" <mike....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > After reading this article, I think I see a little more of what Antal
> > means:
> >
> > http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2006/Art/0518/calen1.php: Just another
> > band from L.A. - Dweezil Zappa pays lively homage to his father's music
> >
> > In it, Dweezil says this of The Grandmothers and Project/Object: "I
> > have nothing good to say about either of those bands," he says.
> > "There's some history between some former band members and the family
> > that is not pleasant. And Frank wrote the music to be played in a
> > specific way. You don't get to change it just because you were in the
> > band." He also mentions how ZPZ is the shit because they're sometimes
> > using the *actual instruments and amplifiers* used to record these
> > songs.
>
> Well fuck-a-doodle-doo. Owning a set of golf clubs does not make you Tiger
> Woods.
>
> mike v
> (nonplussed)

Maybe FZ's spirit haunts his equipment.
Booo!

drumzspace

May 18, 2006, 8:14:45 PM5/18/06
Bill wrote:
> In article <LrydnWcm1cP...@comcast.com>,
[snip]

> Maybe FZ's spirit haunts his equipment.
> Booo!

I haunted my equipment twice last week. It was WONDERFUL.

.ben.

Alan Tignanelli

May 18, 2006, 8:22:38 PM5/18/06
Lerch wrote:

> Long live ZPZ, long live P/O, long live anybody playing any tunes by
> any composer passionately and accurately. As far as Zappa, with all
> those songs, there should be enough to keep it played every night in
> every town and bar for miles around. For fuck's sake.

Amen, brother. Amen.

I'm in far too foul a mood to rationally discuss this, but I don't give a rat's ass about Dweezil's
opinion about P/O, the Grandmothers, the Uncles, the Step-Nieces or anybody else. Dweezil's claim
to legitimacy is that he's Frank's son. Say what he might about the other guys, they all played in
Frank's bands for years. Based on the boots I've heard and the shows I attended, there were no
carved-in-stone versions of Frank's stuff. Hell, look at "Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank
Zappa" (I'm too curmudgeonly to look up the correct title) - the versions of "Watermelon" on that
are all different. And they're different than what I've heard on boots. P/O kept not only the
music alive, but the spirit of the music. All this crap about the OFFICIAL version of Frank's music
just rubs me raw. But I'd better shut up now, before the ZFT sends a cease and desist to prevent me
from listening to the music because I'm not genuflecting in quite the correct manner.

Alan

PAULB

May 19, 2006, 2:59:35 AM5/19/06
Message has been deleted

PAULB

May 19, 2006, 7:18:01 AM5/19/06
it was GREAT!!!! Hey it is entertainement, a nice evening with your
favourite music played by the best musisicans. ENJOY!

See for yourself:

Ziggy Videoclips Oslo march 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcAdA6kTm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWDP9GKpJP0

PAULB

May 19, 2006, 8:13:21 AM5/19/06
Lots of amsterdam pictures!

http://www.pbase.com/hhf/zpz&page=1

PAULB

May 19, 2006, 10:06:48 AM5/19/06
Zomby Woof solo Steve Vai Amsterdam may 15

http://www.euronet.nl/~jwb/vai.mov

Lerch

May 19, 2006, 2:23:23 PM5/19/06
> It's not like Tal made a bunch of totally off-the-wall, completely uninformed remarks; he went and saw a concert. He didn't like it as much as he had hoped. Bummer.

Perhaps one of the more reasonable things I've read, ever.

>I love me some Zappa, but even HE had bummer concerts, and Dweezil certainly does not shit diamonds.

For that, use Preparation Au

Lerch

Dave Wilcher

May 19, 2006, 3:52:03 PM5/19/06
Lerch wrote:

>> I love me some Zappa, but even HE had bummer concerts, and Dweezil
>> certainly does not shit diamonds.
>
> For that, use Preparation Au

LOL!

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain

Sheryl

May 19, 2006, 4:29:33 PM5/19/06

> Well fuck-a-doodle-doo. Owning a set of golf clubs does not make you Tiger
> Woods.
>
> mike v
> (nonplussed)

That was quite poetic, Mr. V (plussed at your nonplussedness)

Michael J. Ventura

May 19, 2006, 6:00:50 PM5/19/06

"Sheryl" <not...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

Oh, you're just saying that 'cause we're "friends" now...

mike v

p.s. Yay! Boobies!

opes...@gmail.com

May 20, 2006, 10:00:34 AM5/20/06

James Warner wrote:
> You are all very
> cool people, from what I can tell,

I'm not.

Sheryl

May 20, 2006, 12:08:44 PM5/20/06
"Michael J. Ventura" <Ign...@squatmail.com> wrote in message

> "Sheryl" <not...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Well fuck-a-doodle-doo. Owning a set of golf clubs does not make you
>>> Tiger
>>> Woods.
>>>
>>> mike v
>>> (nonplussed)
>>

>> That was quite poetic, Mr. V (plussed at your nonplussedness)
>
> Oh, you're just saying that 'cause we're "friends" now...
>
> mike v
>
> p.s. Yay! Boobies!

Bosom Buddies!

Sheryl

May 21, 2006, 9:54:04 PM5/21/06
Paul, I'm pleased that you had such a moving experience at the show.

I also request that you not speak so insultingly to my friends - that tends
to bring out bad hillbilly mojo in me ;)

You kids play nice or I'm turning this VW Microbus around!

--

Sheryl's blog http://almsthvn.livejournal.com

PAULB

Jun 2, 2006, 5:05:32 AM6/2/06

It was never my intention to insult anyone. Just emotions spoke there
the day after the ZPZ concert.
Peace and love, PaulB