Top3 G/L Numbers

Ian

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
I'm a new subscriber, although a long standing admirer of (most of) Gordon
Lightfoots music.
My favourite 3 songs are...
If you could read my mind
Circle of Steel
Rainy Day People
I probably don't know as much of his work as you folks as I live in the UK.
The Radio stations here aren't as varied as the stations in Canada & The
USA. They play mainly chart music, with so called Minority music relegated
to 3am.
What are your favourite works?
Also does anyone know if Gordon and the Band have plans to tour the UK?
Best wishes!

Glutamodo

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
>I probably don't know as much of his work as you folks as I live in the UK.
>The Radio stations here aren't as varied as the stations in Canada & The
>USA.

Well, if you are hearing ANY GL numbers on your radio, you are doing better
than a lot of us here across the atlantic. Lightfoot seems to be overlooked
by nearly all radio programmers these days. The ones we do hear are usually
the big hits, mostly on "70's" format radio stations. Although my mom says she
heard a recent song - "Ring Neck Loon" on a local NPR station the other day!!!

>What are your favourite works?

I like just about all of GL's music. My most favorite song (as I always say)
is"Love and Maple Syrup" from the album SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE (which was recorded
about the same time as I was being born...) The song "Broken Dreams" from
the 1983 LP SALUTE is another one of my all time favorites. Plus just about
the entire SUNDOWN album.

>Also does anyone know if Gordon and the Band have plans to tour the UK?

That is very doubtful. Gord continues to do about 3 dozen gigs a year across
the US and Canada, but thats about it.

Welcome to the NG!

Andy T
Fort Collins, Colorado

Edmund J. Mullen

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Ian wrote:

> I'm a new subscriber, although a long standing admirer of (most of) Gordon
> Lightfoots music.
> My favourite 3 songs are...
> If you could read my mind
> Circle of Steel
> Rainy Day People

> I probably don't know as much of his work as you folks as I live in the UK.
> The Radio stations here aren't as varied as the stations in Canada & The

> USA. They play mainly chart music, with so called Minority music relegated
> to 3am.

> What are your favourite works?

> Also does anyone know if Gordon and the Band have plans to tour the UK?

> Best wishes!

Welcome, Ian! Your favorites indicate an interesting variety. If you can get
a copy of the album "Summer Side of Life" you will find a very interesting song
called "Nous Vivons Ensemble." Obscure, very directed in its message. It's
about the French-Canadian separatist movement and was written at a time when
things were especially bad in Quebec (not that it's a lot better, but at least
they're not blowing up things anymore!). I've always loved the song. The
newest CD "A Painter Passing Through" is fabulous. "Drifters" is one of my all
time favorites and I've been a Lightfoot fan since about 1966.

Don't be a stranger, or bashful, we're a forgiving bunch (all lunatics need to
be forgiving!).

Ed

hw

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Nous Vivons Ensemble is an interesting song. Unfortunately, it's one
of the tunes Gord has chosen to not sing anymore in concert due to its
political nature.

Talb...@aol.com

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
In article <36606...@london.netkonect.net>,

"Ian" <ia...@atlantic-brands.com> wrote:
> I'm a new subscriber, although a long standing admirer of (most of) Gordon
> Lightfoots music.
> My favourite 3 songs are...
> If you could read my mind
> Circle of Steel
> Rainy Day People
> I probably don't know as much of his work as you folks as I live in the UK.
> The Radio stations here aren't as varied as the stations in Canada & The
> USA. They play mainly chart music, with so called Minority music relegated
> to 3am.
> What are your favourite works?
> Also does anyone know if Gordon and the Band have plans to tour the UK?
> Best wishes!
> HI IAN!! Welcome to the Newsgrou. My favorites are:
In My Fashion
Tatoo
The Last time I saw her face

Cheers

Bill Hall

mwestling

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Here's my votes...

Too Late for Prayin'
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
The Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle

Mark

Warren of the Wasteland

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
My top three.... Boss man
Long thin dawn
Early Morning rain

Warren
GL fan est 1996

--
Coming to you live from the Grand Old Opery, it's Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys singing "Stick it where the Sun don't shine!"
pledw...@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu

Theresa Odom

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
I now cast my vote(s)

If You Could Read My Mind (reflective & soulful all time favorite since it's
the first GL song I heard!)
Wherefore & Why (uplifting)
Minstrel of the Dawn (beautiful!)
Sundown (funky!)
Cotton Jenny (fun)

Peace,
Theresa

Hershey102

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
The richness of Gord's portfolio of songs makes it difficult for me to pick 3
favorites. The growth that comes with life's experiences has tended to change
those favorites. Gord's talent as an poet/songwriter is such that he has
looked at life (and relationships) with a refreshing depth that eludes most of
today's musicians. We're pretty lucky that he has written so many songs (I
once recall reading that he thought it was over 300) and, more fortunately,
that he continues to write.

Duff

Tony Meloche

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Very, very tough to choose, though one and two aren't too hard:

Restless
Don Quixote

For number three, I could never decide between "Painter Passing
Through" and "CRT".

Tony Meloche
Remove the "z",(if present) from e-mail address to respond.

---== http://www.newsfeeds.com - Largest Usenet Server In The World! ==---

---== http://www.newsfeeds.com - Largest Usenet Server In The World! ==---

hw

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Same here. I like the Lightfoot sound. That applies to all the
songs. Can't pick a top 10 let alone a top 3. Although I can pick a
few that I'm not crazy about.

Ian

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
Sitting on the fence eh?!

Sigurd246

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
i've been a gordo fan since the early seventies when i first became aware of
his music. the first lightfoot album that i purchased was "if you could read my
mind" i played that over and over so many times that i wore it out! since then
i have bought every recording he ever made. i hadnt listened to him for some
time, till the other day i found an old tape of various works of his that i put
together years ago. i had lots of work to do in my woodshop that day so i put
it on the tape deck. listening to all the old songs brought back so many good
memories for me, and most of the tunes sounded so good! they sounded better
today than they did 20 years ago. i guess that is the indicator of a great
songwriter, eh? i can't carry a tune worth a lick, but gordy and i were
performing a duet there in my shop that day! just glad that no one was
anywhere nearby to hear it. made me feel good though!
then the other day i noticed that gordo had a new album out (a painter
passing through). i quickly snatched it up and couldn't wait to get it home
and play it. when i did, i hate to admit it but i was somewhat disappointed.
the richness in gordons voice seemed to be absent and many of the lyrics didnt
seem to fit the old mold. i know, things never stay the same, and maybe i'm
fixated with the past (my teenage daughters thinks so anyway!) but i didnt'
fall in love with this new work the way i had almost everything else he put
out. maybe i'll have to give it more time. oh well that is just my opinion.
what are others thinking of his new works.
oh yeah, after very much debate, my alltime gordon lightfoot faves are....

1. high and dry
2. sit down young stranger
3. don quixote

also in the running......

4. steel rail blues
5. brave mountaineers
6. summer side of life

i could go on forever, but you did ask for the top three! sorry to ramble
on...gotta go.

hw

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
I think his previous cd may be more up your alley. Last time I
checked "Waiting For You" was still available through Columbia House.
It contains an inspiring rendition of Bob Dylan's "Ring Them Bells".
A great cd all around.

Michael LeRoux

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
In article <19981221134629...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
sigu...@aol.com (Sigurd246) wrote:

> oh yeah, after very much debate, my alltime gordon lightfoot faves are....
> 1. high and dry
> 2. sit down young stranger
> 3. don quixote
>
>also in the running......
> 4. steel rail blues
> 5. brave mountaineers
> 6. summer side of life

My top three... with a strong caveat. I only own three of his albums so
far (Summer Side of Life, Sundown and Summertime Dream).

1. Is There Anyone Home

Unlike most of his songs the lyrics of this one are a bit of a mystery to
me. I get the feeling there was a murder at this house but I can't see
where the narrator comes in.

In any event, I love the sound of that Moog.

2. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

No explanation necessary... listening to this song still takes me to
another plane of existance for six and a half minutes.

3. Circle of Steel

After listening to this pretty song a persuasive argument can be made that
music videos are completely unnecessary. Who can't visualize this colonial
winter scene?

Just missing my little top three:

4. I'm Not Supposed To Care

May we all handle life's disappointments this gracefully.

Mike
Michael LeRoux * michaelATici.net
Mansfield, MA * http://home.ici.net/~michael/

gcurkan

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

JenRivard wrote in message <19981223210845...@ng04.aol.com>...

>>1. Is There Anyone Home
>>
>>Unlike most of his songs the lyrics of this one are a bit of a mystery to
>>me. I get the feeling there was a murder at this house but I can't see
>>where the narrator comes in.
>>
>>In any event, I love the sound of that Moog.

>Jenney

I always thought it was a song about some one making soup!
Alas!!! Think I heard someone stir.

gary

JenRivard

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
>1. Is There Anyone Home
>
>Unlike most of his songs the lyrics of this one are a bit of a mystery to
>me. I get the feeling there was a murder at this house but I can't see
>where the narrator comes in.
>
>In any event, I love the sound of that Moog.

I've always felt that this was another commentary of the coldness of a city,
with people watching while someone gets hurt, a theme he covered in Cold Hands
From New York. Then I got to thinking, could he possibly have written this
after a poor reception at a concert? Except for the gun part, The words might
apply to a concert hall full of non-receptive people (Is there anyone home in
this house made of stone, anyone inside know my name). He refers to having a
few good tales to unwind, and in the last verses, may possibly finally getting
a response. Like any wandering minstrel at dawn, in the house of a thousand
delights. I think I heard, someone stir.
Anyone else see this, or is it just me? Ever since someone posted their take on
The List as possibly being Lightfoots set list, it's completely changed my
viewpoint on that song!
Jenney

Glutamodo

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
Jenney wrote.....(about Is There Anyone Home)

>I've always felt that this was another commentary of the coldness of a city

>Anyone else see this, or is it just me?

I never had seen it that way before, but I think you are right Jenney! It
makes a lot more sense than any other thought that had occurred to me before.

andy

RikS...

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:32:51 -0500, mic...@ici.net (Michael LeRoux)
wrote:

>My top three... with a strong caveat. I only own three of his albums so
>far (Summer Side of Life, Sundown and Summertime Dream).
>

>1. Is There Anyone Home
>
>Unlike most of his songs the lyrics of this one are a bit of a mystery to
>me. I get the feeling there was a murder at this house but I can't see
>where the narrator comes in.

interesting, i always thought it was about a love gone cold as
stone... nice to see a different perspective

ran...@europa.com
GL web page http://www.europa.com/~random7

.... Seven Islands To The High Side Of The Bay If You're Looking West...

Darerott

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
>Anyone else see this, or is it just me? Ever since someone posted their take
>on
>The List as possibly being Lightfoots set list, it's completely changed my
>viewpoint on that song!
>Jenney

Wow, Jen, I never thought of it that way, but it works. I gotta "spin" it a
few times now that there is a new perspective to think about.

Darin
"Bless you all and keep you with the faith to let it pass"

Michael LeRoux

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
In article <19981223210845...@ng04.aol.com>, jenr...@aol.com
(JenRivard) wrote:

>>1. Is There Anyone Home

>I've always felt that this was another commentary of the coldness of a city,

>with people watching while someone gets hurt, a theme he covered in Cold Hands
>From New York.

I like your interpretation... sounds good to me.

> interesting, i always thought it was about a love gone cold as stone...
> nice to see a different perspective

I always imagined the narrator, a traveling musician, arriving at the
house of friend who was expecting him... only to find it suspiciously
empty (or someone being held prisoner) just before a prowler comes up
behind him with a pistol.

I'm probably being a bit melodramatic but that's the first image that came
to time way back when and I've never been able to shake it.

> Anyone else see this, or is it just me? Ever since someone posted their
> take on The List as possibly being Lightfoots set list, it's completely
> changed my viewpoint on that song!

Whoa. A set list? That makes perfect sense... and I always thought the
list was a mental one for one of his "private concerts" (ala Somewhere
U.S.A) ;)

hw

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Could be that A Painter is more of a melodic sounding cd. I find that
Waiting For You tugs more at the heart strings. Maybe that's why I
like it a lot more than Painter. Just my taste. Pick up a copy yet?

On 21 Dec 1998 18:46:29 GMT, sigu...@aol.com (Sigurd246) wrote:

>i've been a gordo fan since the early seventies when i first became aware of
>his music. the first lightfoot album that i purchased was "if you could read my
>mind" i played that over and over so many times that i wore it out! since then
>i have bought every recording he ever made. i hadnt listened to him for some
>time, till the other day i found an old tape of various works of his that i put
>together years ago. i had lots of work to do in my woodshop that day so i put
>it on the tape deck. listening to all the old songs brought back so many good
>memories for me, and most of the tunes sounded so good! they sounded better
>today than they did 20 years ago. i guess that is the indicator of a great
>songwriter, eh? i can't carry a tune worth a lick, but gordy and i were
>performing a duet there in my shop that day! just glad that no one was
>anywhere nearby to hear it. made me feel good though!
> then the other day i noticed that gordo had a new album out (a painter
>passing through). i quickly snatched it up and couldn't wait to get it home
>and play it. when i did, i hate to admit it but i was somewhat disappointed.
>the richness in gordons voice seemed to be absent and many of the lyrics didnt
>seem to fit the old mold. i know, things never stay the same, and maybe i'm
>fixated with the past (my teenage daughters thinks so anyway!) but i didnt'
>fall in love with this new work the way i had almost everything else he put
>out. maybe i'll have to give it more time. oh well that is just my opinion.
>what are others thinking of his new works.

> oh yeah, after very much debate, my alltime gordon lightfoot faves are....
>
> 1. high and dry
> 2. sit down young stranger
> 3. don quixote
>
>also in the running......
>
> 4. steel rail blues
> 5. brave mountaineers
> 6. summer side of life

Lance Brown

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
My top 3 are

1. Fitz
2. Sundown
3. Shadow

Also, in close running

4. IYCRMM
5. Carefree Highway
6. Ode to Big Blue

> >what are others thinking of his new works.
> > oh yeah, after very much debate, my alltime gordon lightfoot faves are....
> >
> > 1. high and dry
> > 2. sit down young stranger
> > 3. don quixote
> >
> >also in the running......
> >
> > 4. steel rail blues
> > 5. brave mountaineers
> > 6. summer side of life

Lance J. “Brownie” & Elizabeth K. “Liz” Brown
Eagleville, PA formerly of Rockland, ME
61st NY Infantry Reg’t & 1st Maine Cavalry Reg’t
1st Div, 26th Infantry Reg’t & 26th Div, 328th Infantry Reg’t

Bart A. Dailey

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
to hw
In my opinion all of Lightfoots work is a cut above all others. My favorite three
songs are:
Song For A Winters Night
The Last Time I Saw Her

If You Could Read My Mind

the next three would be:

The Way I Feel (slower version)
A Minor Ballad
Canadian Railroad Trilogy

hw wrote:

> >what are others thinking of his new works.
> > oh yeah, after very much debate, my alltime gordon lightfoot faves are....
> >
> > 1. high and dry
> > 2. sit down young stranger
> > 3. don quixote
> >
> >also in the running......
> >
> > 4. steel rail blues
> > 5. brave mountaineers
> > 6. summer side of life

KJakeESQ

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
>Could be that A Painter is more of a melodic sounding cd.

I've only heard it once so the melodies aren't ingrained on my mind. Maybe
that's why I think Waiting for You is more melodic. Waiting For You has 10
great songs--I can't say that about any other GL album, although many have
7-8-9 great songs and some good songs on them.

My list would look like this:

1. Dreamland
2. About a 50-way tie