Lightfoot in San Diego 8/4/02 Set List, Mini-Review

1 view

Doug

Aug 5, 2002, 3:31:19 AM8/5/02
Lightfoot in San Diego
Sunday, August 4th, 2002

The weather in San Diego has been absolutely awesome this summer. Generally by
August we've had a couple of weeks of really HOT weather but so far we've only
had 2 hot days and that was a couple of weeks ago.

The weather today was once again "picture post card" perfect. Why does that
matter you might ask? Well, Humphreys by the Bay is an outdoor venue right on
San Diego Bay so weather is always a consideration. The Lightfoot entourage
was happy to be away from Toronto whose weather I was told as been 90 degrees
with 85 percent humidity.

Anyway, Lightfoot came onstage a few moments after 7:30 PM sporting what can
only be described as a Parrot Head shirt (a little more about that later) and
immediately launched into:

1. Drifters
2. 14 Karat Gold
I noticed that the song was being played much slower than usual and in fact,
the pacing of songs for entire concert seems deliberately slow.
3. I'll Prove My Love To You
4. Let it Ride
5. Beautiful
There was much sighing after the crowd of 1200 or so realized what the tune was
and appreciative applause when it was over.
6. In My Fashion
The talking portion (Do I look to you.....) was not done.
Lightfoot said something to the effect that sometimes he was not to talkative.
That it took a few shows for him to get loosened up and since this was only the
third show on this swing through the Southwest US he wasn't gonna be talking
much. He did dedicate the next song to Bill White who had given him the shirt
he was wearing.
7. Restless
"Since this is a sea faring town how about we do this one."
8. Ghost Of Cape Horn
9. Forgive Me Lord
10. Sundown
It's always a crowd pleaser and tonight was no exception
"Then I wrote this song"
11. Carefree Highway
"Okay here she comes"
12. Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
13. Alberta Bound
"We'll be back in about twenty minutes."

During the intermission the folks in front of me turned around and we got
involved in conversation. He told me how he'd first run into Lightfoot in the
Bay Area and was invited to watch 'em do a sound check and later given
backstage passes. His date for the evening was also a Lightfoot fan. They both
have Internet access so I encouraged them to get involved in the newsgroup...we
shall see what develops.

Lightfoot strolled back on stage and said "I've had a request for"
14. Sit Down Young Stranger
15. Waiting For You
"We're gonna have an ethereal evening here"
16. Spanish Moss/Shadows medley
"How about a toe-tapper"
17. Baby Step Back
18. No Hotel
19. If You Could Read My Mind
20. Ode To Big Blue
21. Pony Man
22. Ring Neck Loon (Ya gotta hear this in concert before you say it's
incomplete)
23. Black Berry Wine
24. Song For A Winters Night
"I could say a lot about this next song......but I won't"
25. Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Encore
26. Old Dan's Records

All in all a very satisfying Sunday Evening Concert. Great variety of songs.
His voice was good the band was smiling and enjoying themselves.

They're spending the night in San Diego and heading out to Phoenix tomorrow.
So much for the nice weather.

Till next time.

Doug
"When love is true......there is no truer occupation"

BrunaZanelli

Aug 5, 2002, 6:58:18 AM8/5/02
>All in all a very satisfying Sunday Evening Concert. Great variety of songs.

Doug

Thank you for a great report! I am
starting get really impatient for
November ...

Bru

Telekidd

Aug 5, 2002, 9:21:21 AM8/5/02
Thanks, Doug--great report and I wish I could have been there!

Very interesting about the pacing--when I saw them at Humphrey's a couple of
years ago, my room was in such a position that I could listen to the sound
check. I noticed then that they seemed to be deliberately trying to slow
things down a couple of beats: for example, they ran through Ring Neck Loon
three or four times at a slower pace (even though they didn't play it that
night).

Anyway, thank you sir, for a great report--next year I'm gonna make the trip!
Derek

SonataVII

Aug 5, 2002, 2:05:11 PM8/5/02
Derek,
This is off-topic, but don't you think you'd enjoy the Saratoga concert more
if you attended the Fresno concert the night before to prepare yourself, with
or without your band mates?
Heather

Cathy Cowette

Aug 5, 2002, 5:11:14 PM8/5/02
I like the way you think, Heather. Hopefully, it will be WITH his band
mates. Right, Ed and Lori?

Cathy

"SonataVII" <sona...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ed Mullen

Aug 5, 2002, 8:18:57 PM8/5/02
Hey, I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms since March, ok? And now
you want me to be logical and give you a sensible answer? Sheesh!

Ok. First, I think "The Gordon Lighfoot Tribute Band" is too long and a
little limiting. So, if we're going to get together again and do our
thing we need a new name. I am taking nominations as of now. Potential
nom-des-plumes (yes, Sharman is going to shoot me but I've never
professed to speak a word of French!)?

The Footnotes
The Lightheads
The Gordian Knot
The We Five (oh, yeah, somebody already did that one!)
The Chat Room

Or, maybe, The Saratoga Brew Pub.

Oh hell. How about what I sang under way way back in the 70s? "Friends."

;-)

Ed

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Tony Meloche

Aug 5, 2002, 9:29:54 PM8/5/02

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Hey, I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms since March, ok? And now
> you want me to be logical and give you a sensible answer? Sheesh!
>
> Ok. First, I think "The Gordon Lighfoot Tribute Band" is too long and a
> little limiting. So, if we're going to get together again and do our
> thing we need a new name. I am taking nominations as of now. Potential
> nom-des-plumes (yes, Sharman is going to shoot me but I've never
> professed to speak a word of French!)?
>
> The Footnotes
> The Lightheads
> The Gordian Knot
> The We Five (oh, yeah, somebody already did that one!)
> The Chat Room
>
> Or, maybe, The Saratoga Brew Pub.
>
> Oh hell. How about what I sang under way way back in the 70s? "Friends."
>
> ;-)
>
> Ed

Hmmmm . . . maybe "6 Degrees and Gettin' Older"?

"The Gordon Bleu Chefs" (ugh!)

"The Lightweights" (never!)

I like "The Gordian Knot" myself.

Tony Meloche

Ed Mullen

Aug 5, 2002, 9:52:07 PM8/5/02
WHOA! "The Gordon Bleu Chefs"!!!! <ROFLOL> I LOVE it! But, Tony,
this is an attention-deficit culture we live in. How about just

"Gord On Blue."?

Now, that'll have them thoroughly confused until they get clean. ;-)

Ed

Telekidd

Aug 5, 2002, 10:21:50 PM8/5/02
Absolutely! Just let me know when I need to pick y'all up from the airport!
:)
Derek

Telekidd

Aug 5, 2002, 10:21:20 PM8/5/02
Heather, it's a brilliant thought...believe me, if I could do it, I would be
there! All I can do is wish you the very, very best of times--I'll be there in
spirit (sans bandmates!) :)
Derek

Telekidd

Aug 5, 2002, 10:24:53 PM8/5/02
> So, if we're going to get together again and do our
>thing we need a new name.

Um...has "Derek and the Dominoes" been taken?
;)
Derek
(Actually, I vote for an all-acronym-all-the-time band. "Hi there--we're the
LTB. Next CC will sing 'SFAWN', followed by EM doing the 'EF'." Ya gotta
figure, any audience who would know what the heck we were talking about would
have to be a pretty fanatical one!)

Ed Mullen

Aug 5, 2002, 10:31:17 PM8/5/02
Hell, I'm totally confused so I guess this is a winner, eh?

Ed

lmo

Aug 11, 2002, 5:26:09 PM8/11/02
And in Saratoga the year after you know what, I heard the soundcheck,
and they played Daylight Katie...a few times...never performed it at the
show that night.

lynn

lmo

Aug 11, 2002, 5:48:16 PM8/11/02
The FootHeads

(actually, the credit goes to Andy there.)