Plagiarism of a Lightfoot song by a popular Australian country singer

John Ahern

Sep 27, 2010, 9:05:42 AM9/27/10
For years now a terrible Aussie singer, John Williamson, has been making
millions without any reference (that I can see) to Gordon Lightfoot's song
'the Soul is the Rock'.
Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCMhW92GYUc
It's just not fair!!!

John Ahern Textiles, PO Box 448, Brighton, South Australia 5048. Tel. 08
8296 6111
Email: jo...@johnahern.net
"Check out the new Web Site - 17 pages of BLISS!!" www.johnahern.net
AND.some of John's 'rough travel' adventures

Take a look: CATAMARAN-DOGAMARAN
Turn up the sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1G9FpnTIOI

Joseph Pine

Oct 2, 2010, 8:26:33 PM10/2/10
"John Ahern" <jo...@johnahern.net> wrote in news:4ca0967b$0$28667$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> Plagiarism of a Lightfoot song by a popular Australian country singer

I don't listen to music much, but is he 'terrible'? I've heard worse. The
visuals weren't bad.The verses' melody is similar to 'the Soul is the
Rock' & the arrangement Lightfoot-ish. I wonder what Mr. Lightfoot's
opinion would be.

Interesting web site. Thanks!

John Ahern

Nov 1, 2010, 4:58:07 AM11/1/10
Jey Jo(sephine), This song was John Williamson's best effort - in fact it's
become his most popular record but the earlier recordings were terrible - a
voice like torture but Australian country people just loved it all: songs
like 'Id love to have a beer with Duncan', 'G'day G'day' and the worst of
all 'Hey True Blue' - they have me dashing for the 'off' switch.
I was hoping some of the more ardent G L fans would have a listen and give
an opinion or perhaps I should bring it to the attention of G L's fan club.
It's just that I hate to see someone messing with my hero! He was the reason
hitch-hiked away from my home on the other side of the world all those years
ago, with my guitar and singing 'Early Mornin' Rain'.
I guess I'm in for a bit of flak with my comment on the YouTube clip so if
any Lightfoot fan thinks I'm wrong then I will remove it. Or... if I'm
right then maybe someone will even back me up!

John Ahern Textiles, PO Box 448, Brighton, South Australia 5048. Tel. 08
8296 6111
Email: jo...@johnahern.net
"Check out the new Web Site - 17 pages of BLISS!!" www.johnahern.net
AND.some of John's 'rough travel' adventures

Take a look: CATAMARAN-DOGAMARAN
Turn up the sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1G9FpnTIOI

"Joseph Pine" <josep...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Tony Wesley

Nov 2, 2010, 1:02:40 PM11/2/10

I think you're wrong. It seems a casual similarity but far from
plagiarism. Just my two cents.

Joseph Pine

Nov 6, 2010, 10:27:00 AM11/6/10
>I was hoping some of the more ardent G L fans would have a listen and give
>an opinion or perhaps I should bring it to the attention of G L's fan....

You might want to post to http://www.corfid.com/vbb/index.php

The newsgroup we're in now is quite inactive; I think most of the GL
discussion is now on the above web site. Thanks!

Will Dockery

Feb 23, 2014, 6:36:24 AM2/23/14
John Ahern wrote:
> For years now a terrible Aussie singer, John Williamson, has been making
> millions without any reference (that I can see) to Gordon Lightfoot's song
> 'the Soul is the Rock'.
> Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCMhW92GYUc
> It's just not fair!!!

Interesting, I'll check it out.