E-Town - Lightfoot show NOT on!

1 view

vlm...@mindspring.com

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Don't even ask! A three hour drive for nothing! (Well, given that I was
running late, it actually wasn't close to 3 hours). And I had lugged a
receiver and (a new) cassette player to do the job (now I won't have to visit
my my friend when I want to copy tapes).

Anyhow, the woman at the station had no idea what show was on ("I played the
tape they gave me") and told me to call back today. I don't know if I'm going
to do this drive again ... assuming that they can tell me when the show
actually will be broadcast. Oh well, now I get to drive home again ...

dennis hartigan

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
In article <6sjbjq$8se$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com> , vlm...@mindspring.com
wrote:

It was on in the N. Calif area, although i did miss the first 5 minutes...
Haven't actually listened to the tape yet, so i can't comment on that!!

dennis

"your best day at the ballpark,
is better then your best day at work!!"

Darerott

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
>Don't even ask! A three hour drive for nothing! (Well, given that I was
>running late, it actually wasn't close to 3 hours). And I had lugged a
>receiver and (a new) cassette player to do the job (now I won't have to visit
>my my friend when I want to copy tapes).
>
>Anyhow, the woman at the station had no idea what show was on ("I played the
>tape they gave me") and told me to call back today. I don't know if I'm going
>to do this drive again .

A local station aired the show last Sat. here in Duluth. But as it started
it became obvious that they had two signals in their feed. Etown and
Marketplace where being broadcast at the same time. So the station cut the
show and aired a previous show. Needless to say I was a little bummed.

Darin
"Bless you all and keep you with the faith to let it pass"

Tcquinn1

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Sometime I think there is a conspiracy against GL. Maybe Warner Brother's must
be behind this E-town episode.

I had a friend set up his equipment to record GL on E-town on 1 September, but
NO GL!!

At least we all can share our frustration, and hopefully get the radio stations
to get their act together!

Tim

STEVEN M DUNBAR

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
mapgeek/ GISM...@prodigy.net replies to:

vlm...@mindspring.com wrote in message <6sjbjq$8se$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Don't even ask! A three hour drive for nothing! (Well, given that I was
>running late, it actually wasn't close to 3 hours). And I had lugged a
>receiver and (a new) cassette player to do the job (now I won't have to
visit

-snip-
VL:

Howdy,
I was at the E-Town performance by Gord and "Phreakwater" (interesting
but raw bluegrass/rockabilly mix or sumpin' ), Gord was in good form and
voice, and Phreakwater quipped "all we have to do is tell another audience
that we were going to play with Gord on stage, and we instantly OWNED the
room ! (audience laughter/approval). He did 2 very short sets as I recall,
and got in 2 (3?)from APPT. It was my birthday (doesn't get any better !)
and Gord even signed my Old Town Canoe paddle ! (trademark marcus
registradus
lawyerus cannibalus..) It is hanging in a place of honour in my
home offfice ("cabin" theme room), next to the notorious snowshoes of
gangrenous past,
which some long-term members of this n/g may recall my rantings about
(Shirlee ? :) ). I
had to suffer an inept E-Town volunteer security man jabbing his thumb in my
chest when he
astutely interpreted the paddle I was carrying (pointed down, suspended by
thumb and forefinger,
walking to the stage door left to submit for signing) as a brandished
weapon. As I was just about
to do a Steven Seagal on him by saying something like "take that &^%$#
thumb OUT of my chest,
or I will break i....... (in steps kind woman who was working at the
THEATRE [ not for
E-Town] controlling backstage access with two other nice gentlemen) and she
deftly says "that's not necessary to do to this man, Gord is a canoeing
enthusiast, and I 'll bet this man just wants a signature, knowing that" ,
and she calmly removed his thumb from my chest, which was buried to the
second knuckle by this point, and then said "I'll see what I can do". I
smiled smugly to the erstwhile thug , and said "there you see ? that's all I
wanted.. NOW.... what is your name ? - well the woman looked a LOT like
Lightfoot's wife ( or a picture I think I recall of her) . In any event,
thank you to the kind woman, thanks GORD ! , and thanks to my lovely wife
who suffered a similar indignity while ON CRUTCHES, trying to get the stage
hands attention (off strage, he was, as was she..) in trying to arrange
for the paddle signature for my birthday. We had arrived a few minutes late
(the E-Town "voice" man was setting up the show and taping, so we missed the
usual "set something on stage before the show for Gord routine" (my wife had
even painted a t-shirt of a canoe and a tribute to GL as a gift...). She
was ordered by another green teeth (oops I mean green shirt) E-Town
employee to SIT
DOWN IMMEDIATELY, far away from me and the padded third chair (at our
table!) for her
horse-trampled leg). To preface, so no one thinks we are ignorant of Gord's
concert
protocols, which we respect, the announcer had stated there would be
audience participation at the end, and time to present items for autograph.
This did not happen, Gord was getting ready to leave, and we decided to both
pursue quietly the autograph through personnel at each stage door. Thus
interrupteth the E-Town temp would-be security, and .... WE GOT IT ANYWAY !
he he he <grin> . I used to work in the government building through the
wall of the theatre, it was odd being on the other side of the wall after
hearing most of every concert for years through thin building materials.
Hats off to Gord, for a great performance, thanks to the kindly woman, and
pffffffffffht! to the green-shirt two men who insulted my crippled wife and
jammed their thumb in my chest.
Anyhoo, enjoyed your posting, and I have not heard of the radio broadcast
for sure yet, there was talk of Aug 20 or so, hmm.... well... I did see a
few people with those high end tape recorders like deadheads used to take to
concerts. QUITE improper, and I hope they limit their tape usage to home
listening only, for Gord's sake (royalties, pirating, and general lack of
good taste etc.). I suppose many of us would record the radio broadcast
anyway, so alltogether unusual circumstances. Please let me know if you hear
the broadcast date. This marks my third attempt at returning to this
newsgroup. I have been having major 'puter problems for months, and just got
a new compaq laptop (love it). take care, and thank you :)
Steve Dunbar a.k.a. formerly mapgeek, now GISM...@prodigy.net