Who Am I? (was - Who Is Wayne Francis?)

Telekidd

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Wayne wrote:

> I'm merely an admirer of Lightfoot and his music

While you may be "merely an admirer", there is *nothing* mere whatsoever
about your role in this newsgroup! Those FAQs, and all your other posts
are my Encyclopedia Brittanica when it comes to GL and his music!
Derek

Wayne Francis

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

"William R. Weiss" <time...@mint.net> wrote:

>Who are you Wayne, and how do you know what you know, and how come
>you don't have a GL page on the net?

Now there's a question that can really get a man to thinking - who am I? Let
me lie back in my fictional analyst's couch and ponder all of the vast
possibilities for a man who just recently turned 40(ish)!

(Several hours later...)

Hey, that self-hypnosis trip is something! I was on a wild ride, seeing
people and places I hadn't seen in years, but I was having so much fun, I
forgot your question, Bill!

But in all seriousness, I can tell you that I'm in no way affilliated now,
or in the past, with Lightfoot. I'm merely an admirer of Lightfoot and his
music and I've got a selective memory of "all things Lightfoot" drawn from
my 30 years of following his career (following from a distance I might add,
to avoid any confusion about stalking!). Everything I post about the man's
career, other than matters of personal opinion, have been gleaned from
articles, interviews, stage comments, radio and TV appearances - all from
material in the public domain. I have no personal pipeline of information at
my disposal!

Putting together the FAQs was like doing a thesis on Lightfoot. It really
galvanized and put into focus the many aspects and stages of Lightfoot's
career and development in my mind, so that putting dates and events together
has become second nature.

>I'll bet you can tell me how many pimples Gord had on his butt when he
>sang Mister Rock of Ages! (That's meant as a compliment to your
>knowledge!)

Well, while I have accumulated a good deal of information on Lightfoot's
music, there are limits to the extent of that knowledge and thankfully I can
report that the instance you've cited is one such limitation! I can tell you
this much however with a great degree of confidence - when he sang the song
in question, I do have a nagging suspicion he was wearing polka dot
underwear!

There is one apparent misconception out there that I would like to
publically clarify. I am now, nor have I been in the past, associated with
the development or maintainance of Matt Fifer's GL page. He asked permission
to utilize my FAQs for his site, but that's the extent of my involvement.
(As a footnote to this, the FAQs on the GL site do not reflect the monthly
updates I apply to the files and post to the newsgroup. The present FAQs on
display at the GL site are at least a year and many updates old.)

That being said, I have for some time now been conceptualizing my own
Lightfoot page and hope to put those ideas into motion within the year. It
will in no way be in competition with the existing site, but will hopefully
be sufficiently different in content and style to stand alone on its own
merits.

Wayne

Nelson Hauke

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In <5vh2d3$khs$1...@storm.cycor.ca> Wayne Francis wrote:

> "William R. Weiss" <time...@mint.net> wrote:
>
> >Who are you Wayne, and how do you know what you know, and how come
> >you don't have a GL page on the net?
>
> Now there's a question that can really get a man to thinking - who am I?
Let
> me lie back in my fictional analyst's couch and ponder all of the vast
> possibilities for a man who just recently turned 40(ish)!
>
> -SNIP-

Bravo, Wayne. Well done!

Nelson Hauke
(A lurker in Seattle WA)
remove XXXX for email

CDavis2121

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Gee Wayne,
I hope to be like you someday.
Seriously,
What a great reply to the uproar that Bill's message caused. It was most
kind and wreaked of genuiness and honesty. Cheers !!
Here Here !!! Yea !!

Christopher

Glutamodo

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

>While you may be "merely an admirer", there is *nothing* mere whatsoever
>about your role in this newsgroup! Those FAQs, and all your other posts
>are my Encyclopedia Brittanica when it comes to GL and his music!
>Derek

I agree!!

And also, Wayne is also a very good musician. I have not heard much
discussion of Wayne's "surprise song" from the end of the Internet Tribute
II, but it is very well done. The lyrics are very much like Gord's - they
have stong but simple imagery and depth to them. I have found myself
forwarding to the end of that CD (and the copy I made on tape for my car)
especially to listen to that song. Thank you Wayne for the hard work
putting together the Tributes, and for bringing us that song as well.

Andy T.
Fort Collins, CO

"May this world find a resting place,
where Peaceful Waters flow..."