Gord was Awesome in Austin!

Melissa

Jun 23, 2007, 9:47:41 AM6/23/07
Hi everyone -
Just a quick post to let you know that Gord and the guys put on an
incredible show last night here in Austin. The crowd was awesome,
chanting, "GOR-don, GOR-don, GOR-don, GOR-don" just before he came on
stage. Gord came out smiling and laughing, looking like he was having
a really good time. He was in fine form, too - his voice was strong
and his finger-picking was just like the old days! He was very chatty
all during the show. We had torrential downpours about 2 hours before
the concert and things were looking a bit "iffy" at the outdoor
venue. But, about 30 minutes before the show, the rain stopped, the
sun appeared, the clouds parted, there was a nice breeze and it was
just perfect. (Divine intervention, as far as I'm concerned!) When
Gord came out, he said, "Well, we've been a little worried about this
weather but, hey, thanks for comin' out anyway!" The crowd was VERY
into the show, giving standing ovations for "Rainy Day People,"
"Carefree Highway," "Sundown," "The Wreck," "IYCRMM." and, of course,
"The Trilogy," The encore, "Old Dan's Records" made everyone wild,
once again and, after the guys all left the stage for the second time,
the crowd just wouldn't quit. So Gord came back out, waved the guys
back onstage, walked up to the mic and said, "You really want Early
Morning Rain, don't you?" By this time, lots of folks were standing
next to the stage. When he finished EMR, Gord walked all along the
edge of the stage, shaking hands with everyone. Then, as he made his
final exit, he did the big "Gordon Wave" to the crowd, spawning
another round of thunderous applause.

It was great, folks. Don't know when I've seen a better show. And
right here in good old Austin, Texas, to boot!

Take care, everyone. Have a great weekend!

Melissa ;)

Jesse-Joe

Jun 23, 2007, 9:54:40 AM6/23/07

Great to hear Melissa, thanks for the update...

Cheers!

~Jesse~

mcarl-at-cablespeed.com

Jun 24, 2007, 6:36:54 AM6/24/07
Awesome! Sounded like that was the right place on the planet to be
Friday. Glad to hear aboot the finger-pickin'.

Matt

Dan

Jun 24, 2007, 10:04:33 AM6/24/07

Wonderful news! Sounds like Gord is back in good health.

Dan

sdga...@email.msn.com

Jun 24, 2007, 5:30:27 PM6/24/07
I really enjoyed the show the other night in Austin. It was my first
show in the last eight years...about when I moved to TX from CA. It
was also my wife's first Lightfoot concert. She had an awesome time,
not to mention the best seat in the house (first row directly in front
of GL). I wore my 2002 Massey group T-shirt, which attracted quite a
few questions. There were people around me who had not been to a show
in a long time (according to Gord it had been 26 years since they last
played in Austin). I told them all about the Reno DVD and the
boxset. I met DreamStreetRose from the corfid forum and Norinne who
were very nice to my wife and I. We made a weekend out of it; toured
the Texas State Capitol and shopped in nearby San Marcos. We also had
dinner at my favorite steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse. The rain was on
and off all weekend in these parts, but didn't interfere too much with
the concert or any of the other activities...it actually provided a
nice break from the heat.

A few notes about the show:

There was quite a bit of interaction with the crowd. GL telling the
fans that it was a great start to a span of 8 shows in 9 days, and the
Austin fans letting him know just how much he was missed. Chants of
"we love you" and "you're awesome" and even "you're beautiful" were
frequent. Gord rewarded the audience with a second encore, this
despite a very strict nine o'clock noise curfew in this area. The
song was EMR which was a perfect note on which to end the show given
the days showers and the theme of travel (travel in Texas can be long
and brutal). There was a technical hitch (with GL's guitar) during
the first encore and they had to stop and replay(?) ODR. What I
didn't catch is whether they had started to play something else or
not. It might have been they just started ODR over again, I'm not
sure. Other than the second encore of EMR, the setlist was basically
the same as in Eastern Canada, substituting "All the Lovely Ladies"
for "Minstrel of the Dawn." The end of IYCRMM was very emotional for
GL, but he managed to go right on, I'm not sure many fans even
noticed. It was also my first show, since they stopped playing Wreck
as the last song before intermission. I'm not sure that I like this
change. It's wierd ending the first set on another song; to see the
band walkoff prematurely. It's almost anti-climactic to start the
second set with Wreck, since wreck almost always draws a standing
ovation anyhow. It's nicer to have the crowd already on their feet as
they start to walk off. The second set also seems short on songs
because both epics (Wreck and CRT) are in the same set. Gord tried to
show his appreciation toward the crowd, by allowing us to finish
"Ribbon of Darkness," but we dropped the ball!!! Gord sang the final
line, "ribbon of darkness _______________," but we didn't finish the
line, LOL. This drew a good-natured smirk from GL, but he went right
on to the next song without finishing the lyric...which drew some
giggles from the audience.

Jenney

Jun 24, 2007, 7:06:18 PM6/24/07
On Jun 23, 9:47?am, Melissa <mjoe0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
?Then, as he made his

> final exit, he did the big "Gordon Wave" to the crowd, spawning
> another round of thunderous applause.

I could picture exactly what you meant by that, and smiled.
Thanks for the update!
Jenney

lightf...@rogers.com

Jun 25, 2007, 10:50:30 AM6/25/07
what? no MOSH pit?
lol
sounds like a fab time in Austin with those wild Texans and assorted
visitors ;) ..
Perhaps at church in Orillia last sunday Gord had a private word with
the powers that be about the weather..
if ya got pics send them along!

Derek

Jun 25, 2007, 5:38:26 PM6/25/07
A belated thank-you for the wonderful review--definitely felt like I was
there! :)

Once again, many thanks, M!
:)

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is
lightly greased."
--John Nesvig

Richard Harison

Jun 25, 2007, 6:25:22 PM6/25/07
"Melissa" <mjoe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Reminds me of the time I used to be MC for Gord's shows--mainly introducing
the opening performer. On one tour, it was Liona Boyd. Now Liona and I got
along famously, ate together, etc., but sometimes she felt the need to make
sure I got things right. So starting 10 minutes before the show, she
reminded me: "Richard-- make sure you tell the audience this is my debut in
the Austin area." 5 minutes to go--same thing. One minute to go--once
again.
So I did what she requested. Problem was we were in Houston--not Austin.
The minute I open my mouth my words were met will horrendous catcalls.
Seems that the two cities are great rivals. So what I said was like being
at Harvard and saying "Welcome to Yale!"

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison

ninjaneer

Jun 25, 2007, 9:54:58 PM6/25/07

pictures from the concert at
http://members.unitewireless.com/~rogerguinn

Melissa

Jun 26, 2007, 8:17:30 PM6/26/07

Wow, great pics, Roger! I didn't get any pics at the show, so it's
nice to see these. Thanks for passing them along.

Melissa ;)

mcarl-at-cablespeed.com

Jun 27, 2007, 9:21:58 AM6/27/07
On Jun 25, 6:25 pm, "Richard Harison" <n...@invalid.com> wrote:
> "Melissa" <mjoe0...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

That's pretty funny - years later of course! I remember having a
visual angle at a Stones concert where I was working and taped to the
stage so only Mick and the band (mostly) could see was a HUGE sign:
"East Lansing, Michigan" Just in case. I can't remember if he ever
mentioned the town now though ...

Matt

Cathy Cowette

Jun 27, 2007, 10:46:51 AM6/27/07

"mcarl-at-cablespeed.com" <mcar...@aol.com> wrote in message

> That's pretty funny - years later of course! I remember having a
> visual angle at a Stones concert where I was working and taped to the
> stage so only Mick and the band (mostly) could see was a HUGE sign:
> "East Lansing, Michigan" Just in case. I can't remember if he ever
> mentioned the town now though ...

I went to a Boston concert at the Bangor Auditorium, back in the mid '70s.
The lead singer said, "It's great to be in Portland, Maine...." The majority
of the audience, mostly stoned teenagers, screamed, "Bangor! Bangor!"

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

drb...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 27, 2007, 8:21:44 PM6/27/07
in article 1182903450.1...@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com, Melissa at
mjoe...@yahoo.com wrote on 6/26/07 7:17 PM:

> Wow, great pics, Roger! I didn't get any pics at the show, so it's
> nice to see these. Thanks for passing them along.
>
> Melissa ;)

I didn't get any either! Thanks!

donnie

Melissa

Jun 30, 2007, 10:52:52 PM6/30/07
On Jun 27, 7:21 pm, "drb...@sbcglobal.net" <drb...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> in article 1182903450.100929.277...@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com, Melissa at
> mjoe0...@yahoo.com wrote on 6/26/07 7:17 PM:

> > Wow, great pics, Roger! I didn't get any pics at the show, so it's
> > nice to see these. Thanks for passing them along.
>
> > Melissa ;)
>
> I didn't get any either! Thanks!
>
> donnie

I neglected to post a follow-up, to say that I was lucky enough to get
to go to Houston for that show 2 days after the Austin show. Once
again, the audience was very enthusiastic. Gord and the guys were
perfect, and certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. A friend of
mine, who was at the Fort Worth show, told me the show there was
amazing. It was sold out and the crowd gave standing ovations for
most of the songs. So it appears that the "Texas Swing" was a
success! This really made me feel good. Since Gord had not been to
Texas since 1993 (and hadn't been to Austin since 1981), I was really
hoping that the journey down south would be worth his while. Despite
any concerns to the contrary, on the part of Gord or the booking
agent, Texas LOVES Gord, and I'm sure he realizes that now.

Sounds like the entire "Tornado Alley" tour has been an awesome
success! And, while it's wonderful to see Gord anywhere he plays, it
was really special to have him come all the way down south so we could
see him here at home.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how far my frequent flyer miles can
take me so I can see him again sometime in the near future!

Melissa ;)