That same old obsession

Arthur Fitzjohn

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
any idea which 'same old obsession' is meant?
--
art

dmww

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Gord explained it pretty well in the "Songbook" liner notes...

Dave

Arthur Fitzjohn <a...@lupusfab.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Corfid

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
> any idea which 'same old obsession' is meant?
> --
> art

Here's what Gordon Lightfoot said about that song in the Songbook-booklet:

"The 'Same Old Obsession' is probably another person, maybe a triangle, or
maybe it's just about a person's need to be free. Anything that lurks out
there to detract from or to try to destroy a relationship is painted as evil
in this song - evil personified as a creature."

Now for my personal interpretation:

I imagine her to be a very shy and insecure person. She might have been
deeply hurt in a previous relationship and therefore has built protective
walls around her.

In the beginning of their relationship - when a certain distance was still
separating them and keeping her safe - they had happy times "I long to
recall every kiss, every kind word", and "I remember the taste of her lips
close to mine".

But as they spent more time together and the relationship intensified, they
came more and more closer. Their relationship went in a direction she wasn't
willing or capable to handle.

She had to make a decision - either open her heart completely to him or
withdraw. The fear of being unprotected and of getting hurt again began
creeping her heart. What if he indeed hurt her? Could she bear that a second
time? What if he weren't true to her?
"The Creatures of Evil" returned, and they "captured her heart".

She withdrew from the relationship, maybe she was even rude to him, they got
separated.

He is devastated by having lost her - "I miss her so much I could die". But
this is not the only thing that tortures his soul. He is unsure of whether
he could have done more to help her break the walls that surround her - "I
could do much better, If I could be strong".

But it seems as if he has lost the fight against the "Creatures of Evil" and
that he is not strong enough to help her overcome "That Same Old Obsession".

I guess many other interpretations will do just as well as mine -
but then that is part of the beauty that lies within the lyrics - this song
will mean a lot of different things to different people.

BTW, "That Same Old Obsession" is my favorite track on Old Dan's Records
(closely followed by It's Worth Believin')

--
-Corfid

______________________
** Florian BODENSEHER **
** f-bode...@gmx.net **

John Fowles

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
What I really love about the NG, apart from all the high quality humoUr, is
the variety of reactions and the limitless interpretations of the wonderful
songs we all enjoy. As some of the chat room regulars will know, I found
when we play the Songbook CD's in synchro during the chat sessions that
"...obsession" is in many ways my current favoUrite Gord song, but mainly
because of the superbly emotional way he sings it. Frank Sinatra never
rendered a song better IMHO. However my big failing is that I tend to
concentrate on the overall sound of a recording and often miss out on the
message and words of the lyrics.
So Corfid's beautiful personal amplification of what the song may be
expressing was very enlighting and will further enhance my listening
pleasure from now on. Thank you for that Corfid -
I'll tag along with your thoughts with sad pleasure.
John Fowles