The Day The Earth Stood Still

Ioannis

Dec 16, 2008, 6:39:13 AM12/16/08
Reference to JSB in the new movie that's out:

Alien: (looking at the professor's speaker which plays Bach)

Jennifer Connelly: "It's Bach..." [*]

Alien: "It's beautiful"

Professor (John Cleese): "So we are not that different afterall..."

[*] It's the Goldbergs. I cannot discern if it's Gould, but it sounds like
Gould's 1981 recording.

Nice movie. Worth the watch :-)
--
Ioannis

Ben Crick

Dec 16, 2008, 8:30:26 AM12/16/08
In article <1229427554.969213@athprx03>, "Ioannis" <morp...@olympus.mons>
wrote:

> [*] It's the Goldbergs. I cannot discern if it's Gould, but it sounds
> like Gould's 1981 recording.

You mean, it hums?

Ben

--
_ __________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

Ioannis

Dec 20, 2008, 11:12:12 AM12/20/08
Ben Crick wrote:
> In article <1229427554.969213@athprx03>, "Ioannis" <morp...@olympus.mons>
> wrote:
>> [*] It's the Goldbergs. I cannot discern if it's Gould, but it sounds
>> like Gould's 1981 recording.
>
> You mean, it hums?

Are you trying to be funny? Cause if you are, it ain't working.

--
Ioannis

John Tyson

Dec 22, 2008, 10:00:02 PM12/22/08

"Ioannis" <morp...@olympus.mons> wrote in message

> Reference to JSB in the new movie that's out:
>
> [*] It's the Goldbergs. I cannot discern if it's Gould, but it sounds like
> Gould's 1981 recording.

I saw the movie today. It does sound like Gould, but the tempo is between
the 1955 and 1981 recordings. Unfortunately, the credits went by too fast
for me to make out who was playing it.

John

Message has been deleted

jmtow...@comcast.net

Jan 5, 2009, 12:58:49 AM1/5/09
On Dec 22 2008, 10:00 pm, "John Tyson" <johnaty...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> "Ioannis" <morph...@olympus.mons> wrote in message

I stumbled upon this page looking for the same information. According
to the officially released credits:

Johann Sebastian Bach Song ("The Goldberg Variations: Aria Da Capo
and Variation No 1")
Ryan Franks Song Performer ("The Goldberg
Variations: Aria DaCapo and Variation No 1")

Not sure who exactly Ryan Franks is...but I gather that he is a
employed by the studio to perform the piece. Thus, they do not have
to pay royalties etc...

-jeremy

John Tyson

Jan 6, 2009, 1:53:50 AM1/6/09

<jmtow...@comcast.net> wrote in message

< I stumbled upon this page looking for the same information. According
< to the officially released credits:

< Johann Sebastian Bach Song ("The Goldberg Variations: Aria Da Capo
< and Variation No 1")
< Ryan Franks Song Performer ("The Goldberg
< Variations: Aria DaCapo and Variation No 1")

< Not sure who exactly Ryan Franks is...but I gather that he is a
< employed by the studio to perform the piece. Thus, they do not have
< to pay royalties etc...

< -jeremy

He has a web oage at

http://ryanfranksmusic.com/

No mention of his envolvement in "The Day the Earth Stood Still", but it
looks like the page
hasn't been updated for about a year.

John