Blog posting about fans

quart...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2006, 5:11:30 PM8/11/06
I recently posted a new entry in my blog at
http://meblogsg.blogspot.com/ and wondered if any of you have noticed
the same things I have about Southern Gospel.

Allan

Aug 11, 2006, 7:30:14 PM8/11/06

That people idolize one group to the exclusion of all others? I've
not really noticed.

Does it occur in other music genres? Sure - as most other genres are
soloists or revolve around the same main person. For instance I used
to listen to particular rock groups, while others I detested even
though the sound was similar.

As for Crabb family fans not knowing there are other SG groups... That
doesn't surprise me one bit, since they're not SG.

"If you dare say anything slightly negative about them, the uproar is
tremendous."

They sound like the world - is that negative enough!? ; )

Signature Sound... [YAWN!] I still don't know what people see in
these guys. Maybe they're better live (although I doubt it - they'd
still be singing the same songs). There's a large teenybopper/pop
element in most of their songs. (Another "yawn" example is Phil
Cross's group, which is another very average group. The Booth
Brothers are not far behind them. All very average groups.) The rest
of SS's non-SG songs are just an excuse to worship with the CCM altar
in the corner of their eye in my opinion. I've picked up CDs from
little-known groups over the years that sound better than all three of
these groups.

"When a naysayer came along and said that Tim has a long, long way to
go to be considered in the same breath with George Younce and that he
(Tim) is not really even one of the very best bass singers traveling
today, the "fan"atics came out of the woodwork and did everything
possible to beat back that opinion."

Of course - it's a fan site. Fans of that group gather there.

"Implying the naysayer did not know good singing, wasn't sophisticated
enough to hear George in Tim and basically that George passed the
torch to Tim, so he must be the best."

Uh - yeah - right... They are not even in the same boat as the
Cathedrals OR George Younce. That's why I own nearly every Cathedrals
album and only one Signature Sound album. (I still listen when they
bring a new CD out, and their sound just doesn't deserve my cash. Very
average.) Not that they're overly bad, just... weak! Music style
aside, their vocals are not strong - they lack a "fullness" or
"power", and sound like they're struggling to reach notes. It seems
at times you can hear that if they went one note further, they'd sound
a pubescent boy when his voice cracks.

"If it weren't so sad, it might be funny. It makes me want to know
more about the "fan"atics and their demographics."

You need to either get out more, or find a constructive hobby. ; p

"Another similar hero-worship group that comes readily to mind is The
Gaither Vocal Band."

Yes, well... Another contemporary group that doesn't deserve the
label SG. I have their two Southern Classics CDs. They really ruin
SG songs on those. The rest of their albums are even further away
from SG. I can't stand their whining, pop crooning, warbling voices.
It's just plain irritating.

"OK, let me have it, but keep it civil please."

And you though YOU were going get to it. : D

Allan

Willy

Aug 14, 2006, 12:23:30 PM8/14/06

"Allan" <just...@COLDhotmail.com> wrote in message

Unfortunatley Allan, it seems the four part harmony barber shop style (for
lack of a better description, and nothing negative intended) that we grew up
loving has seen it's day, and the core group of SoGos now leans more toward
the sound that is verging on a cross over to CCM. While we may take great
pleasure in the pure, not overly produced sounds of yesteryear, statistics
prove this is no longer the core base of what we still refer to as SoGos.

Perhaps it all goes back to the conversation we've had more than once on
this board - that being that music is always in a transition, and in this
case, we've lived long enough to actually observe it.

While I'm admittedly a GVB fan, I agree that their sound is not of
yesteryears variety. But honestly, even if you listen to one of your
original Cathedral's albums, I think you'd agree that the overall sound has
changed drastically from their first recordings to their final renderings.

Musical tastes have changed. We all enjoy electronic embellishments. The
bass, while most likely absent completely in their original works, is
strongly present in all groups today. Many, including the Cathedral's, did
not always have a rythm section (drums etc)... yet few groups today
(although there are still a few, thinking of the Inspirations) would even
consider performing without a band, or more often than not, fully
embellished tracks, most often stacked.

Ah yes, one thing of which we can be sure. Things - they're always
changing.

Willy

Jr.

Aug 14, 2006, 12:29:05 PM8/14/06
But you will have to admit that one of the last hits the Cathedrals had was
one of their greatest: Tryin' To Get A Glimpse

Ruth

Aug 14, 2006, 8:28:59 PM8/14/06
From: wil...@prodigy.net (Willy)
Musical tastes have changed. We all enjoy electronic embellishments. The
bass, while most likely absent completely in their original works, is
strongly present in all groups today. Many, including the Cathedral's,
did not always have a rythm section (drums etc)... yet few groups today
(although there are still a few, thinking of the Inspirations) would
even consider performing without a band, or more often than not, fully
embellished tracks, most often stacked.
Ah yes, one thing of which we can be sure. Things - they're always
changing.
Willy

I don't care a whole lot for the groups with all the band members that
are so loud you can hardly hear the vocals. I still love the 4 guys and
a piano quartets and I love the acoustical bluegrass gospel groups.
There are quite a few of the GVB songs I like (especially when it was
Guy, Russ, David, and Bill) but my preference is the 4 part
harmony.......and I'm not an old geezer. I'm just 55. Maybe it's a
being from the deep south thing......

Willy

Aug 21, 2006, 4:44:39 PM8/21/06

"Ruth" <Ruthfro...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Hey, I'm 51 so we're not far apart. Since, as a musician, I always enjoyed
playing with other musicians, especially drums and a bass, so I guess I sort
of grew up loving groups that had live instrumentation. I remember as a
young man that I just imply HATED the sound of The Inspirations, and yet,
during their day, they were one of the biggest names in the business.

But they stuck to their original sound, and although they're still in the
business today, without a doubt, but they don't have nearly the following of
yesteryear, and that possibly a result of the fact that their sound didn't
transition with the changing times.

Your taste is for that sweet four part harmony without much musical
embellsihment, while mine is for a full band and I have no problem with a
group using stacked tracks. To me it's all about achieving the best
possible sound.

It all boils down to what we already know... that being, it's all about
personal preference.

Willy

David Bruce Murray

Aug 21, 2006, 8:48:09 PM8/21/06

"Willy" <wil...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> But they stuck to their original sound, and although they're still in the
> business today, without a doubt, but they don't have nearly the following
> of yesteryear...

They don't? You could have fooled me. We have seven groups on a concert
series in our area each year, and the Inspirations are one of the top draws.
Plus, they regularly do very well at the Singing News Fan Awards. They did
peak in the 1970s with songs like "Jesus Is Coming Soon," "Touring That
City," "When I Wake Up To Sleep No More," and "Jesus Is Mine," so yeah,
their following probably isn't as strong now as it was then, but from all
I've observed, they still do about as good as any other name in the business
when it comes to meeting payroll...short of the GVB, the Crabbs, and
Signature Sound, of course.

Like you, I'm not a huge fan. I don't really care for the Inspirations style
and their recordings generally leave a bit to be desired when compared to
other groups, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

--
David Bruce Murray is still "Making hay while the sun shines"
CD Reviews/BLOG: www.musicscribe.com/blog.html