All these x-mas filks are making

Mike.L...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 5, 1992, 4:32:26 PM12/5/92
me feel a bit depressed, remembering that this is the season when all I see,
going around town, is x-mas this and x-mas that. I don't blame everybody for
filking the songs, but you all should remember that there are those of us who,
for whatever reason, don't celebrate x-mas.

As one who suffers from whatever-the-heck-the-name-of-that-seasonal-thing-
type-disorder is (something like Seasons Distress Syndrome or whatever), this
is a very down time of the year for me, and even though I'll get invited
(maybe) to whatever party, it won't feel the same. It's not my holiday.

I hate putting a downer on here, but as fellow filkers, you all know that we
try to be tolerant of all others, no matter how different they are, and I'm
not saying now that you are not (Mary will vouch for me on that), but please
remember, when you go about x-mas-ing, there are those who don't x-mas, and
try to remember to wish them whatever, be it Hanukkah (which starts at sundown
12/19), Idl-Fitr (sp? - a Moslem holiday) or the winter solstice (12/21 or
12/22, I forget).

---

Debora...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 6, 1992, 1:04:41 AM12/6/92
Mike, why not try posting some of your Hannukah filks, then? The whole point
was to post silly holiday songs/filks. There had been a request for
pagan/solstice songs initially, which set the whole ball rolling. Certainly
we're not trying to exclude anyone deliberately, but encourage anyone of any
faith to join in our fun. I am certain there are filks of just about any
holiday song in just about any faith. If not, why not?

(And that's the emphasis of the December LAFA filk party -- silly holiday
songs of any type. You can't escape the holiday frenzy in America.
Might as well enjoy yourself somehow. Plus giving mathoms becomes
the *perfect* opportunity to get rid of that totally tasteless gift that Aunt
Mabel unloaded on you. Come have some fun with us. See you on Newton's Day
at the Gold's?)

P.S. I *really* dislike the holiday frenzy. Too commercial, etc.
And I know all the songs by heart by now--they're boring! So let's
filk! (How else do you think Rick & I manage the holidays--He's Jewish
& I'm a recovering Catholic & neo-pagan! <grin>)

---

Mike.L...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 6, 1992, 4:57:28 PM12/6/92
Just FYI, Deborah, I don't believe there are any Hanukkah filks. By the way,
thank you for the kindness you showed this afternoon by calling.

---

Kay.S...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 7, 1992, 2:55:09 AM12/7/92
On <Dec 06 21:57>, Mike Liebmann (1:102/524) wrote to Deborah Weiss:

ML>Just FYI, Deborah, I don't believe there are any Hanukkah filks.
ML>By the way, thank you for the kindness you showed this afternoon
ML>by calling.

??? Well, I suppose 'Deck The Halls With Matzoh Balls' DOES use the tune of a
Christmas Carol, but the contents are certainly Hanukkah filk. I'm
handicapped by not knowing any authentic Hanukkah songs myself, but someone in
here was doing something along the lines of "Hanukkah oh Hanukkah, light the
Menorah, (something like) oops, there goes the Torah" awhile back.

--- msged 2.06

Steve Brinich

Dec 7, 1992, 7:20:09 PM12/7/92
Hmmm.... good point. Happy Holidays (whichever they might be)!

Steve
Non-Observant Agnostic

(who thinks X-Mas looks like a Marvel Comics title ;-) )

Sherma...@p6.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 7:29:21 AM12/8/92
On <05 Dec 92 21:32>, Mike Liebmann scribbled the following to All:

ML> remember, when you go about x-mas-ing,
ML> there are those who don't x-mas, and
ML> try to remember to wish them whatever, be
ML> it Hanukkah (which starts at sundown
ML> 12/19), Idl-Fitr (sp? - a Moslem
ML> holiday) or the winter solstice (12/21 or
ML> 12/22, I forget).

I'm currently working on (or letting idle) a Lehreresque one on Greedfest (as
Elizabeth and I call December holidays-run-amok).
--- via XCS 1.00

Sherma...@p6.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 7:36:39 AM12/8/92
On <06 Dec 92 21:57>, Mike Liebmann scribbled the following to Deborah Weiss:

ML> Just FYI, Deborah, I don't believe there

ML> are any Hanukkah filks.

Does this mean I get to repost this? (heh, heh, heh)

Hannukah, oh Hannukah, let's light the Menorah.
Oops, there goes the oil lamp, and there went the Torah.
Gather round the altar, there's more heat than light.
Be careful with the fire on Hannukah nights.

(bridge)
It's burning, all burning,
the candles are burning, all right --
but so is the drap'ry, now looking so pap'ry.
The house caught on fire all bright.

Words Copyright 1992 Sherman Dorn. You may copy lyrics freely, but reproduce
this notice and contact me if you wish to publish this or produce it
commercially.
--- via XCS 1.00

Bruce...@f615.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 11:28:32 AM12/8/92
<jumping in...>

ML> Just FYI, Deborah, I don't believe there are any Hanukkah filks.

Let's see, how close can I come... and how much can I embarrass myself.

Twenty+ years ago, in Hebrew School, we were taught an Israeli song. I
don'tremember my Hebrew, and my memory of the song is no doubt likewise
faulty, but I believe the first line transliterates to something like "Ach
shav, ach shav, v'eretz Yisroel". Anyway, some alternative English lyrics
were floating around:

I'll shove, I'll shove,
I'll shove you down the stairs,
I'll shove, I'll shove,
I'll shove you down the stairs.

Tumble, tumble, tumble,
You'll tumble down the stairs,
Tumble, tumble, tumble,
You'll tumble down the stairs.

--- Maximus 2.01wb

Major.Ma...@p11.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 7, 1992, 5:14:55 PM12/7/92
On 12/5/92, Mike Liebmann said to All concerning All these x-mas filks are
making:

ML> I hate putting a downer on here, but as fellow filkers, you all know
ML> that we try to be tolerant of all others, no matter how different they
ML> are, and I'm not saying now that you are not (Mary will vouch for me
ML> on that), but please remember, when you go about x-mas-ing, there are
ML> those who don't x-mas, and try to remember to wish them whatever, be
ML> it Hanukkah (which starts at sundown 12/19), Idl-Fitr (sp? - a Moslem
ML> holiday) or the winter solstice (12/21 or 12/22, I forget).

Okay, Mike, this one's for you...

'Twas the night before Kwaanza
And all through the woo-ids
Not a creature was stirring
Not even the Druids

The Koran was placed
by the dreidels with care
In the hopes that the Hairless Yak
Soon would be there

I was in my mukluks
Mama in her wrap
And I'd sat on the commode
For a midwinter's c***

When up on the roof
There arose such a racket
Just like an old Seagate
With a 15 meg packet

When what to my wondering
Eyes should show up
But a little chihuahua
in a large coffee cup...

(Anybody wanna finish this?)

-MMM-

--- MacWoof Eval:25Oct92

Nomi Pearlman

Dec 8, 1992, 10:06:26 PM12/8/92
Two of my friends (both Jewish) take 25 December as the holiday Newtonmas, in
celebration of the birth of Sir Isaac Newton. Makes me wonder about other non-
Christian celebrations of the same date (Chanukah falling on Christmas doesn't
count).
--Nomi :-)

UU...@ofa123.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 10:36:34 PM12/8/92
From: M...@MATH.AMS.ORG
From ucivax!vs3002.ams.com!math.ams.org!mlw
Cc: M...@MATH.AMS.ORG

What do you mean, there are no hannakah filks? What do you call "Deck
the halls with Matzo Balls? (anyone still have the rest of the
words...?) I think last year someone came up with filks for O Hannukah
and Rock of ages (Mo'otsur). Let me cogitate and we'll see what wells
up. (g)
maxine

Jeff.Mc...@f148.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 9, 1992, 4:39:17 AM12/9/92
On <08 Dec 92 10:19:56> Dave Aronson lost it all and babbled the following...

DA> When some yoyo at a store or whatever wishes me a merry Xmas, I
DA> usually fire back with "And a happy Solstice to you!"

I thought most stores had their employees do the politically correct "Happy
Holidays!" thing...

Jeff

... Bumber sticker: Nuke the unborn baby gay whales.
--- Blue Wave/Max v2.10

Carson A. Gaspar

Dec 9, 1992, 2:51:37 PM12/9/92
Speaking of Jewish/Xian filks, does anyone have all the words to the
Ave Maria/Have Negila (ACK! So I can't transliterate hebrew - it's not
my fault!) filk? As an aid to memory, the bits I remember are:

Ave Maria, Ave Maria, Ave Maria, Ave.
ditto.
Hare Krisha, Hare Hare, Hare Krishna, Hare Hare
Alleluja

--
Carson Gaspar
car...@cs.columbia.edu

Scott.M...@f110.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 9, 1992, 10:50:00 PM12/9/92

Major Matt Mason denied allegations of involvement with Mike Liebmann over

All these x-mas filks are making:

MMM> When what to my wondering
MMM> Eyes should show up
MMM> But a little chihuahua
MMM> in a large coffee cup...

MMM> (Anybody wanna finish this?)

You got it, bubby.

He ranted and shouted
And crack-ed his whip
At the large cat that pulled him
Who seemed quite the dip.

Rapid as slugs, this kitty he came
The chihuahua, he screamed, and called out his name:

"Hey, STEEMPY! You sack!
You sick little monkey!
Your breath is horrid
And your armpits are funky!"

"We gotta get all of
These toys to the kiddies!
So move your fat TAIL,
You big stupid kitty!"

"I got rounds to make!
And cookies to scarf!
I'll have so many cookies
That I could just barf!"

My jaw was agape!
I could not believe
That Santa was a dog
I could fit up my sleeve!

His suit, it was tiny
His cap, like a cone
He dropped off the toys
And made for the phone!

I backed up the hallway,
Had just about fled,
When he looked right at me
And waggled his head.

For a moment I stood
Still as a rock
He ordered a pizza
While I was in shock.

[Okay, I'm burnt out for now...who'll finish off this loathsome filk, hmmmm?]

---LCD

... AHHH HA HA! I'll GET you, my pretty, and your little pterodactyl too!
--- Blue Wave/QBBS v2.10

Mary.K...@f219.n143.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 5:12:00 PM12/8/92
Several years ago I sent out invitations tttttoa
jjjjljfjfjfjaliururjhfvjngvoaoiutjnvhnfcjhn
ou
--- RA/FD/FMail-Great Stuff

Mary.K...@f219.n143.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 8, 1992, 5:15:01 PM12/8/92
A couple of years ago I sent out invitations to a Christmas/Hannuka/Winter
Festival of Your Choice Party. Explaining to one bemused friend that I was
raised as a Christian, my husband was Jewish and at least half my friends were
practicing pagans...

--- RA/FD/FMail-Great Stuff

Major.Ma...@p11.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 9, 1992, 4:12:56 AM12/9/92
On 12/8/92, Dave Aronson said to Mike Liebmann concerning All these x-mas
filks are making:

DA> When some yoyo at a store or whatever wishes me a merry Xmas, I

DA> usually fire back with "And a happy Solstice to you!"

Actually, most folks I run into nowadays simply wish me an happy holiday and
leave it at that.

harold feld

Dec 10, 1992, 10:16:05 AM12/10/92
Sure there are! The only problem is, that all the ones I
know are rather anti-christian. In fact, a bit defensive.

For example:
Tune: Ma O Tzur

Ma O Tzur Yisuati
Santa gave me a christmass tree
Ihrew it out the window
It landed on the patio

(You'd get a little defensive to if you'd been
asked: "Why'd you kill God?")

Yaakov/Harold

John F. Snyder

Dec 10, 1992, 7:06:21 AM12/10/92
Mary.K...@f219.n143.z1.fidonet.org writes:

-> Several years ago I sent out invitations tttttoa
-> jjjjljfjfjfjaliururjhfvjngvoao
-> ou
-> --- RA/FD/FMail-Great Stuff

Mary Kay, your message went boom on the usenet side.

Care to repost it?

eo...@xocolatl.com | Practice Random Kindness /~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ /
GEnie: J.Snyder18 | * and < D A R W I N ><
CI$: 70313,3111 | \|/ Senseless Acts of Beauty \_____________/ \
Prodigy: NOT!!!! | PGP 2.0 User _l _l _l _l

Uu...@ofa123.fidonet.org

Dec 10, 1992, 3:01:09 AM12/10/92
From ucivax!pathmac.med.cornell.edu!cumc.cornell.edu!phydeaux
From: phyd...@cumc.cornell.edu ("The person your mother warned you about" )
To: fi...@ofa123.fidonet.org
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 09:02:21 EST

In message <3335.2...@ofa123.fidonet.org> "filk.ml-error" writes:

> From: car...@cs.columbia.edu (Carson A. Gaspar)
> Newsgroups: alt.music.filk

> Speaking of Jewish/Xian filks, does anyone have all the words to the
> Ave Maria/Have Negila (ACK! So I can't transliterate hebrew - it's not
> my fault!) filk? As an aid to memory, the bits I remember are:

Here's the "Ecumenical Hora" as I remember it (original compiler of this
kitbash oddity unknown, at least by me)

Ave Maria, ave Maria ave Maria \ 2x
Allah be praised /

Nearer my God to thee, nearer my God to thee \ 2x
Onward Christians! Marching off to war /

Hare, hare Krishna

Hare Krishna hare hare (2x)
Hara Rama hare hare (2x)

Alleliu!
Alleliu!

Kyrie eleison....

Traditionally, this ends with with a trailer of "Ommmmmmmmmm"

--
Dave Weingart KB2CWF In the event I am captured or killed, the Cornell
phyd...@cumc.cornell.edu University Medical College will disavow any

--- Squish v1.01

Major.Ma...@p11.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 10, 1992, 4:13:28 PM12/10/92
On 12/9/92, Carson A. Gaspar said to All concerning Re: All these x-mas filks
are making:

CA> Speaking of Jewish/Xian filks, does anyone have all the words to the
CA> Ave Maria/Have Negila (ACK! So I can't transliterate hebrew - it's not
CA> my fault!) filk?

Here's what I have...

Title: Ave Maria
From Liberator (East) (#36)
Saturday, 3 September 88, 06:26

AVE, MARIA
Music: Hava Nagila

Ave, Maria, Ave, Maria,
Ave, Maria, Allah be praised!
Ave, Maria, Ave, Maria,
Ave, Maria, Allah be praised!
Nearer my God to thee, nearer my God to thee.
Onward, Christians, marching off to war.
Nearer my God to thee, nearer my God to thee.
Onward, Christians, marching off to war.

Hare, Hare Krishna,
Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare.
Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare.
Hare Rama, Hare, Hare.
Hare Rama, Hare, Hare.
Allelu, Allelu, Kyrie Eleison--OMMMMMMMMMM

Sorry about that... couldn't resist.

Mary.C...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 11, 1992, 4:36:26 AM12/11/92
Sounds like you're looking for the "Ecumenical Hora", which as
far as I know was written by Murray Porath (I could be wrong on
that one). Anyone here who can ask Murray for permission to post?

---

beth diane garfinkel

Dec 11, 1992, 4:28:03 PM12/11/92
In <n10...@ofa123.fidonet.org> Kay.S...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org writes:

There's always the song "Rock of Ages" (not to be confused with the
Christian hymn of the same name):

Rock of Ages, let our song
Praise Thy saving power.
Thou among the welt'ring throng
Was our shelt'ring tower.
Furious they assailed us,
But Thine arm availed us
And Thy word
Broke their swords
When our own strength failed us. . .

So why not filk that????

Beth
--
"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
-Arthur Dent, on being told that the Earth is about to blow up.

Mike Morris

Dec 13, 1992, 2:11:18 AM12/13/92
Kay.S...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org writes:

>On <Dec 06 21:57>, Mike Liebmann (1:102/524) wrote to Deborah Weiss:

> ML>Just FYI, Deborah, I don't believe there are any Hanukkah filks.

>??? Well, I suppose 'Deck The Halls With Matzoh Balls' DOES use the tune of a

>Christmas Carol, but the contents are certainly Hanukkah filk. I'm
>handicapped by not knowing any authentic Hanukkah songs myself, but someone in
>here was doing something along the lines of "Hanukkah oh Hanukkah, light the
>Menorah, (something like) oops, there goes the Torah" awhile back.

Please repost both of these - I missed them.

--
Mike Morris WA6ILQ | This space intentionally left blank.
PO Box 1130 |

Sherma...@p6.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 13, 1992, 5:39:35 AM12/13/92
On <11 Dec 92 23:37>, Mary Kay Kare scribbled the following to Sherman Dorn:

MKK> Lehrer song (at least one we'd never
MKK> heard before) about spending Hannukah in
MKK> Santa Monica. JOrdin has a tape of it
MKK> around, but it's never been transribed.
MKK> So what am I offered to transcribe and post?

Some very low-fat apple-molasses oat muffins.
--- via XCS 1.00

Major.Ma...@p11.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 14, 1992, 2:43:29 AM12/14/92
On 12/11/92, beth diane garfinkel said to All concerning Re: All these x-mas
filks are making:

bd> There's always the song "Rock of Ages" (not to be confused with the
bd> Christian hymn of the same name):
bd>
bd> Rock of Ages, let our song Praise Thy saving power. Thou among the
bd> welt'ring throng Was our shelt'ring tower. Furious they assailed us,
bd> But Thine arm availed us And Thy word Broke their swords When our own
bd> strength failed us. . .
bd>
bd> So why not filk that????

No sooner said than done...

Yellow Pages let our song
Praise thy buying power
If you never throw 'em out
You can build a tower
Get some Chinese take-out
Or a pan to bake trout
Coupons green
Savings mean
Help our budget make out.

(usual disclaimers)

J-...@p25.f2000.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 14, 1992, 6:30:16 AM12/14/92
Friday December 11 1992, Mary Kay Kare writes to Sherman Dorn:

MKK> And I just remembered that last year about this time we ran across a new
MKK> Tom Lehrer song (at least one we'd never heard before) about spending
MKK> Hannukah in Santa Monica. JOrdin has a tape of it around, but it's
MKK> never been transribed. So what am I offered to transcribe and post?

I'll give you a wooden nickel
If you would share that song!
Oh I'll give you a wooden nickel
If you would share that song!
You can post it in the echo, you can send it here email
You can even make a copy and send it to me snail
But I'll give you a wooden nickel
If you would share that song

- J-Mag

--- GoldED 2.40

Major.Ma...@p11.f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 14, 1992, 2:49:03 AM12/14/92
On 12/11/92, Mary Kay Kare said to Sherman Dorn concerning All these x-mas
filks are making:

MK> And I just remembered that last year about this time we ran across a
MK> new Tom Lehrer song (at least one we'd never heard before) about
MK> spending Hannukah in Santa Monica. JOrdin has a tape of it around,
MK> but it's never been transribed. So what am I offered to transcribe and
MK> post?

Ooooo! Perchance, is that to the tune of "When Veronica Plays Her Harmonica
Down by the Pier at Santa Monica"?

Joel.P...@p4.f107.n249.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 17, 1992, 2:09:18 PM12/17/92
In a message of <08 Dec 92>, Sherman Dorn writes to Mike Liebmann:

ML>> remember, when you go about x-mas-ing,
ML>> there are those who don't x-mas, and
ML>> try to remember to wish them whatever, be

ML>> it Hanukkah (which starts at sundown

SD> I'm currently working on (or letting idle) a Lehreresque one on
SD> Greedfest (as Elizabeth and I call December holidays-run-amok). ---

Hanukkah is here by golly
To protest now would be folly
Celebrate with hunks of challah
Fill the cup and don't say "when"...

--- GoldED 2.31

Mary.K...@f219.n143.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 19, 1992, 7:01:03 PM12/19/92
Umm. I just recently realized that the song is undoubtedly copyrighted
material and so shouldn't be posted here. As I'm having trouble with e-mail
could you send your real, as opposed to virtual, address? And it'll have to
be after the holidays...
--- RA/FD/FMail-Great Stuff

Mary.K...@f219.n143.z1.fidonet.org

Dec 19, 1992, 7:02:04 PM12/19/92
Well, as I've remarked to others it's probably copyrighted so I can't post in
the echo. Get me your address and I'll mail it. After the holidays...

--- RA/FD/FMail-Great Stuff