stuff to do, week of December 12, 2008

grady

Dec 12, 2008, 5:17:07 PM12/12/08
Friday, December 12
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Pizza Palace, Durham

Pink Flag are a great young all-woman trio who make punkrock that's
somewhere between the rip-it-up of Riot Grrrrl and the fuck-with-yr-head
of Raincoats/Au Pairs.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan have never been mistakable for any other band,
even when they're covering "Born To Run." Their songs start, stop, slip
sideways, and then when you're off-balance, leap offstage and sit on
your chest until you start crying.

Ex-Monkeys are two-thirds of the late-90s live trip-hop band Friend Side
Monkey; nowadays it's Eddy Winstead on the turntables (Serato Scratch
having expanded those possibilities near-infinitely), and Ian Shannon on
sequencer, samples, and some live bass.

Friday, December 12
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Flute Flies (http://www.myspace.com/thefluteflies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a launch party for the CyTunes.org website, where you'll be able
to purchase & download exclusive music, with all proceeds going to fight
cancer, in honor of our man Cy Rawls.

In addition to the dulcet 2nd Brit Invasion-styled pop-tones of Magic
Babies, you'll witness the debut of the Flute Flies (Ivan (Rosebuds)
Howard, Reid (Schooner) Johnson, Zeno (Sames) Gill). Plus a round of
music trivia, DJing by Viva Cohen, and Rockin' Ammonia Karaoke.

Friday, December 12
John Howie
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 12
Our Velvet Revolution
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 13
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Alivia's Durham Bistro, Durham

This is a release-party for the new Triangle Brewing seasonal Abbey Ale
. . . they're tapping the keg at 5:30 and the bands will kick off around
6:00. Not sure if this is the same seasonal they just got in at the
Pinhook; if it is, then it's a mite sweet for me, but then Pink Flag and
Dry Heathens are both capable of bringing the bitterness to balance that
out.

Saturday, December 13
Cool John Ferguson (http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This show starts at 8:00 and costs $15. Cool John is an electric blues
guitarist who spent a lot of time playing in dives around Durham, before
moving back to Beaufort SC a couple of years ago.

Saturday, December 13
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
The Hall Monitors (http://www.hallmonitors.net)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This show is a little bit reversed from yr normal S.C.O.T.S. show:
instead of them tossing food at you from the stage, it's a concert for
the NC Food Bank, so you'll get $1 off if you bring a canned good.

Saturday, December 13
The Strugglers (http://www.thestrugglers.org/)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Pneurotics are an indie-rock band of the "bitter songs about exes"
variety. The Strugglers are a panoramic country-soul band formed around
the nucleus of singer/songwriter Randy Bickford and his lovely,
fragile-sounding voice.

Per the website:
11:00 - The Strugglers
10:00 - The Pneurotics

Saturday, December 13
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 13
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Saint Peter Pocket Veto (http://www.myspace.com/thesaintpeterpocketveto)
Space Mammal
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

CGJ you already know about. Curtains of Night are a gtr/drums two-piece.
On record, all the songs follow the same basic formula: slow chords on
massive overdriven feedbacky guitar, somewhat hyperactive drums, and
Nora screaming the lyrics in a deliberate measured cadence. Onstage,
it's technically much the same, but the volume is so loud & the
sensation so visceral that it feels completely different.

Saturday, December 13
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Two of the best garage-rock bands in the state of North Carolina. The
Loners have perfected their brand of gtr/drums three-chord stomp; the
Heaters used to be a duo, but now they're a massive three-piece, and
frontwoman Reese McHenry's giant voice is somehow paradoxically even
mightier than before.

Saturday, December 13
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
The Nondenoms
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This show is at 11:00 and costs $3.

Sunday, December 14
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is an early show; it's billed as "an acoustic evening with . . ."

Sunday, December 14
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

In case you've forgotten why "Raleigh Rock" is a brand recognizable
statewide, this show should serve as reminder. From the full-on
hardrock/psych/glam genius of the Birds of Avalon, to the garage-rock of
the Loners, this is quick primer on the current state of the Raleigh
Rock art.

Monday, December 15
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
The Scene of the Crime Rovers
(http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra
(http://www.trekkyrecords.com/xmasfront.html)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is an annual party thrown by the folks at Trekky Records. Their
Trekky Yuletide Orchestra is an amalgam of members of all the bands on
the label, plus whomever else they can draft into it; they play
Christmas music, un-ironically, and with great gusto.

The rest of the bands on the bill will typically play short sets of
holiday-related songs, either their own, or well-chosen covers. It's a
blast.

Monday, December 15
Wax Fang (http://www.myspace.com/waxfang)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, December 16
American Bang (http://www.americanbang.net)
Dub Trio (http://www.myspace.com/dubtrio)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 17
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Secada (http://myspace.com/realsecada)
The Middlemen (http://themiddlemenmusic.com)
Marvell Building, Durham

Pink Flag are playing out a lot lately, it seems, which is a good thing,
because near as I can tell, they've *already* progressed past the point
they were at when they recorded their just-released CD, and the more
they play, the weirder/betterer they get. Bring it on!

Wednesday, December 17
Summer Camp Casanova (http://www.myspace.com/summercampcasanova)
Workday/School Night
Casual Curious (http://www.myspace.com/casualcurious)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 18
Jack Rose (http://www.vhfrecords.com/jackrose/)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Horseback are the pastoral-drone outfit of Jenks Miller. Lately longtime
local noisemeister Bryce Eiman is bringing the drone, while Jenks lays
downs washes of his lovely guitar tone. Gorgeous.

Thursday, December 18
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pour House, Raleigh

Dirty Little Heaters are pissed off about a lot of things, the shitty
economy not least among them, but that only makes singer Reese McHenry's
voice that much more giant & unstoppable.

Savage Knights are an excellent avant-jazz / rock (as distinct from
jazz-rock, please) outfit, who can flutter thru a beautiful 12-minute
Eric Dolphy tune and then drop right into a gnarly Melvins sludgefest.

Thursday, December 18
The Sibling Project (http://www.thesiblingproject.com/)
Cool Ethan (http://www.myspace.com/coolethanrock)
Hey Euphony (http://www.myspace.com/heyeuphony)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 18
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, December 19
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, December 19
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
The Beast
The Pinhook, Durham

Midtown Dickens are truly one of the treasures of the Triangle music
scene; even the Durham metalheads know & freely acknowledge this fact.
Lineup:

12:30 - Tender Fruit
11:30 - Midtown Dickens
10:30 - The Beast

Friday, December 19
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Tin Star
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Blag'ard is Joe Taylor, who used to be in the '90s Chapel Hill band
Capsize 7. This band sounds kinda like a '90s Chapel Hill band, with
extra-freaky guitar. Tin Star has Louie from William Christ Supercarr
(a, um, '90s Chapel Hill band), and Jamie from the Winston-Salem band
Tommygun (which also featured Geoff Abell, ex-Capsize 7). I haven't seen
'em yet.

Gray Young is a younger, shoegazier band.

Friday, December 19
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Bo-Stevens (http://www.thebostevens.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 19
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
The Whisky Smugglers
Saint Solitude
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 19
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
The Ghost of Saturday Nite
(http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Black River
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, December 20
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans
(http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Rafters
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a free holiday party, and it starts early (so you can still
catch EW at the Cave, if you so desire):

7:30 The Rafters
8:30 Big Fat Gap
9:30 Dexter Romweber and the New Romans
10:45 Big Fat Gap (second set)

Saturday, December 20
Puritan Rodeo (http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/)
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers
(http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Slingshot Cash (http://www.myspace.com/slingshotcash)
The Pinhook, Durham

Be sure you get there early enough to check out Joe Romeo and his Orange
County Volunteers; Joe used to front Fake Swedish, and he's a damnfine
songwriter, with an ear for the odd tale well-told.

12:00 - Slingshot Cash
11:00 - Puritan Rodeo
10:00 - Joe Romeo and the Orange County Volunteers

Saturday, December 20
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's the umpteenth-annual Evil Wiener Christmas Show. Will Chuck pitch a
fit about having to wear a Santa suit again this year? Nobody knows for
sure, but what we *do* know is that there'll be Christmas carols played
on theremin, a skit or two, and a kickass set of traditional and
original holiday-themed rock-n-roll.

As if that weren't enough, the classic 1993 Evil Wiener Christmas single
has been re-released on CD with two extra tracks; it's truly one of the
great local releases of all time, and has been out of print for most of
the past 15 years. Snap one up!

Saturday, December 20
Chrome Plated Apostles (http://www.demonbeach.com)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Dirty garage-rock-o-rama, with Pinche Gringo (Josh from the Spinns,
sometimes solo, sometimes a duo), and the post-Bad Checks outfit Chrome
Plated Apostles, which moves Clif from bass to guitar, and brings in a
couplea ringers as a rhythm section. Hunter still sings, plays
harmonica, and falls down.

Saturday, December 20
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Aquila (http://www.myspace.com/beyondvega)
Count Von Count
APE!
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 20
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

I thought I heard that PHS had broken up, or at least gone on hiatus,
due to high gas prices. Oh yeah, I guess it's cheap[ish] again, isn't it.

Friday, December 26
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Benji Hughes (http://www.myspace.com/benjihughes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an early show (it's followed by a dance-party during the normal
show hours, and if you come for the early show, you can stay for the
festivities). Benji Hughes is a bearded mutant from Charlotte who
released a lovely pop album this year. Charles Latham used to ply his
brand of snotty antifolk 'round these parts, before taking off to follow
his dream to Philadelphia (it was a dream about Terri Gross and the
Mutter Museum, I heard).

Saturday, December 27
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Taz Halloween (http://www.robertgriffin.com/people/taz.html)
Stu Cole
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is billed as a Tribute to Hoppie, who is a West Franklin St.
fixture, having emceed various events at the Cave, in addition to
managing the bar at Local 506 for a while now. Now he's moving away to
make his fortune in New York.

Saturday, December 27
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
MC Homeless (http://www.myspace.com/mchomeless)
Grapejuice Scott and Dutchmaster
Gut Lightning
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is hosted by Juan Huevos.

Saturday, December 27
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Hell Razor (http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, December 28
Jessica Lea Mayfield (http://www.myspace.com/jlmayfield)
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

Jeremy Blair

Dec 15, 2008, 11:27:14 AM12/15/08
As always your "stuff to do" is as entertaining to read as is it
informative, thank you Grady. As a fan of this band I'd like to add that
Lonnie Walker is playing Saturday, Dec 20 at Vintage 21 downtown Raleigh
which is in the building where Jillian's used to be. Interesting venue, I'm
reading on the web site no smoking or alcohol, I hope they have milk and
cookies.

So in the "stuff to do" tradition;

Saturday, December 20

Lonnie walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)

The Never (http://www.myspace.com/thenever)

Sunfold (http://www.myspace.com/sunfold)

On Photon

Vintage 21, Raleigh

grady

Dec 15, 2008, 11:34:08 AM12/15/08
Oh, you mean the contemporary Christian church / rockclub?

http://www.vintage21.com/

Let us know if you actually go to the show; I've been curious about the
church:rockclub ratio, but not nearly curious enough to actually go to
Raleigh & check it out.

Jeremy Blair wrote:
> As always your "stuff to do" is as entertaining to read as is it
> informative, thank you Grady. As a fan of this band I'd like to add that
> Lonnie Walker is playing Saturday, Dec 20 at Vintage 21 downtown Raleigh
> which is in the building where Jillian's used to be. Interesting venue, I'm
> reading on the web site no smoking or alcohol, I hope they have milk and
> cookies.
>

> So in the "stuff to do" tradition;
>

> Saturday, December 20
>
> Lonnie walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
>
> The Never (http://www.myspace.com/thenever)
>
> Sunfold (http://www.myspace.com/sunfold)
>
> On Photon
>
> Vintage 21, Raleigh

Jeremy Blair

Dec 15, 2008, 1:01:39 PM12/15/08
I'll take my camera...

Jeremy Blair

Dec 22, 2008, 6:57:48 PM12/22/08
Vintage 21 felt like 20% alternative church, 20% municipal art exhibit
space, and 60% music venue, and a pretty nice one at that. I snapped a good
mess of pics and posted them on my blog along with a show review which can
be found here: http://secretcarrboroninjapatrol.blogspot.com

Jeremy