stuff to do, week of February 14, 2009

1 view

grady

Feb 14, 2009, 12:30:46 PM2/14/09
Saturday, February 14
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release party for the damnfine new Old Ceremony CD "Walk on
Thin Air." There's a emotional directness to the new material that
wasn't as present on their earlier CDs; it was perhaps masked by
Django's former insistence on making every song a perfectly-formed
narrative, including unreliable narrator. These songs are a little more
direct, a little more heartfelt, and that, in combination with the
obvious joy of the musicians in playing together, makes this their best
album yet, by far.

Saturday, February 14
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Antagonizers (http://www.antagonizers.com/)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
The Shotdowns (http://www.myspace.com/theshotdowns)
Shoot First
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Saturday, February 14
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Michael Rank (http://www.sleazegrinder.com/teensleazehanoi.htm)
Marc E. Smith
The Dex Romweber Duo
(http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/dex-romweber-duo)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Dex Romweber Duo CD, "Ruins of
Berlin," their first for Bloodshot Records. One perk of recording for
Bloodshot is that yr CD gets to feature guest appearances from Bloodshot
labelmates like Neko Case, Kelly Hogan and Exene Cervenk[ov]a, not to
mention [non-labelmate but] longtime fan Chan Marshall.

None of whom, presumably, will be in attendance tonight, which is all
right, because when it comes to Dexter Romweber, 2 people onstage is all
you need, especially when the 2nd is Dex's sister Sara (Let's Active,
Snatches of Pink) on drums.

Saturday, February 14
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
King Tut
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 14
Chip Robinson & the Heavy Beat Outfit
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, February 15
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Lud have a long history of radio appearances with me, going back to the
early/mid '90s at WKNC over in Raleigh. They were a somewhat different
band then (hi Graham!).

At present, they're a four-piece, and with the in-rotation of longtime
vocal collaborator Sara Bell on bass, they now have the freedom, if they
so choose, to pull out fan faves like "Ritalin Time."

Late last year they released their fifth album, V. They are one of my
favorite bands of all time, and I'm very pleased that they've agreed to
come play on the radio one more time, particularly since their three
most recent previous appearances have coincided mysteriously with nasty
head-colds for singer/guitarist Kirk Ross.

4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, February 15
Love Hangover
Pour House, Raleigh

This is the 10th annual Love Hangover, in which various local singers
assemble into male/female duos & sing duets about anything but love (or
at least about its thorny backside).

Monday, February 16
Mahjongg (http://www.arc6ery.org/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Monday, February 16
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Let Me Crazy (http://www.myspace.com/lessthancrazy)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, February 17
Born Empty (http://bornempty.com)
Marvell Building, Durham

Tuesday, February 17
The Belleville Outfit (http://www.bellevilleoutfit.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 17
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Zelazowa (http://www.myspace.com/zelazowa)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 17
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Pontiak (http://www.myspace.com/pontiak)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tooth are an absolutely phenomenal metal band from Durham. They're like
the Platonic ideal of metal, assuming one's conception of "metal" is
along the lines of "enormous boulder rolling downhill, crushing
everything in its path." There are no fancy outfits, no operatic
vocalizing, nothing but a remarkable blend of massiveness and agility.

Wednesday, February 18
Can Kickers (http://www.myspace.com/cankickers)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
Rip It Ups (http://www.myspace.com/ripitups)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

tEH vODAK are a mysterious & screwy amalgam of grumpy punkrock and
freshfaced pop; they pull it off, admirably, but I'm still not sure how
they do it.

Thursday, February 19
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Bright Young Things
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is another in the crucial (to Raleigh music) Thursday-night
local-bands, local-beers series at Tir Na nOg. Max Indian put out a
pretty darn catchy pop album last year.

Thursday, February 19
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

From the website:

Brian Howe (headliner I suppose--- includes free movie!)
Phon (diy electronic whatchamacallits)
Nic Slaton (bad things happening to upright bass)
Joey Prinz (electric guitar having arguments with itself)
Weather Machine (Singing Kings of Sounding Shade)

Thursday, February 19
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
The White Cascade (http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecascade)
Two Planes (http://www.myspace.com/twoplanesnoise)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 19
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
Nerd Parade
Mansion 462, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 19
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, February 20
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Panda Force (http://www.myspace.com/pandaforceband)
The Accident That Led Me to the World
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These Campus Concert Series shows at the Armadillo Grill are free, and
they commence at around 5:30 p.m.

Friday, February 20
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
Tin Star
Batata Doce (http://www.myspace.com/batatadoce)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Shakermaker are a quirky-fun pop/rock band from Chapel Hill, who salt
their Brit-invasionisms with a healthy dose of pedal steel, courtesy of
singer/guitarist Jesse Moorefield's dad.

Tin Star are a new-ish Durham band of longtime veterans, going all the
way back to the early-mid-90s, including Louis Botta & Bart Moyers of
that great Chapel Hill band William Christ Supercarr.

Friday, February 20
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Jackets (http://www.reverbnation.com/TheJackets)
Pour House, Raleigh

The Old Ceremony have just released their third proper album, Walk on
Thin Air, and it's far and away their best yet. Over the past 4-5 years
they've evolved into a remarkably tight yet adventurous live band, too,
so if you've heard the records but haven't seen them, then you don't
really get the whole story.

Friday, February 20
Boxbomb
House of Fools (http://www.purevolume.com/houseoffools)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 20
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the new Gray Young CD. They're pretty
much singlehandedly carrying the shoegaze torch here in the Triangle --
the guitars are super-strummy, the vocals are echoey, and the drums go
boom-boom-boom.

Saturday, February 21
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers
(http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Joe Romeo & the Orange County
Volunteers CD. I haven't heard it, but knowing Joe, it'll be chock full
of lovely melodies and weird fractured narratives.

Saturday, February 21
Projexorcism
Soundpainting Orchestra
The Circuitry Dance Patrol
(http://www.myspace.com/thecircuitrydancepatrol)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 21
The Vinyl Strangers (http://myspace.com/Thevinylstrangers)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 21
Brass Bed (http://www.myspace.com/brassbed)
Lamb Handler
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, February 22
Jandek (http://tisue.net/jandek/)
Gerrard Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill

The representative from Corwood is making the trek from Houston to
Chapel Hill, and as is his practice, he'll be appearing with a pickup
band of locals. In this case, that means Anne Gomez (Blue-Green Gods,
HMS Cervix, Cantwell Gomez & Jordan) on bass, John Darnielle (Mountain
Goats) on keys (!), and a drummer from Richmond who's played with Jandek
before.

The canonical Jandek website says that the typical plan is for the
Corwood rep. to practice once with the band before the show; sets last
anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, with 2 being the most common. Beyond that,
all bets are off.

Sunday, February 22
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Icy Demons (http://www.myspace.com/icydemons)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a non-smoking show (!). Whatever Brains are from Raleigh, and
they've just released a fucking awesome fuzzed-out Buzzcocksy single on
Bull City Records, *and* they can totally top its brilliance onstage.
Highly recommended.

Sunday, February 22
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Cinemasophia (http://www.myspace.com/cinemasophia)
On the Beach (http://www.myspace.com/onthebeachrock)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, February 24
Ian McLagen & the Bump Band (http://www.ianmclagan.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Ian McLagen (Faces/Small Faces, plus sideman stints with various other
little bands like the Rolling Stones) has been living & playing in
Austin for the past 15 years; this isn't a reunion or nostalgia trip,
it's just a lifelong musician doing what he does best.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

edi...@capefearmercury.com

Feb 14, 2009, 8:05:06 PM2/14/09
Sneezed a few times so far today, but do not seem to have a cold.
I still feel bad about leaving my wet socks at KNC, but I was not well
as you know.
Thanks for the kind words.
(also, the randomized validation word on the google thing could be
pronounced fugazi)
kmr