1/19/06 Setlist

Zanath

Jan 19, 2006, 11:19:20 PM1/19/06
Amazing show tonight. I'll give a full review later, Im pretty tired
(and class at 8:30 tommorow).

1. Prelude/Angry Young Man
2. Pressure
3. Everybody Loves You Now
4. New York State of Mind
5. Ballad of Billy the Kid
6. Stilleto
7. Zanzibar
8. Allentown
9. Great Wall of China (I was so happy to hear this song)
10. Sometimes a Fantasy
11. Sleeping With the Television On
12. Good Night Saigon
13. Movin' Out
14. The Night is Still Young
15. She's Always a Woman (somebody called this on the general forums,
it was amazing)
16. Keepin' the Faith
17. Midnight Hour (I think that's the title)-Wilson Pickett died today,
Billy played this in his honor
18. River of Dreams
19. I Go to Extremes
20. We Didn't Start the Fire
21. Big Shot
22. It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me
23. You May be Right

Encore:

24. Only the Good Die Young
25. Scenes from an Italian Restauraunt
26. Piano Man

As you can see, a great set-list full of suprises (for me, anyway).
Full review, as I said, will come later.

Lee

Jan 19, 2006, 11:41:07 PM1/19/06
On 19 Jan 2006 20:19:20 -0800, Zanath <moocow...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Amazing show tonight. I'll give a full review later, Im pretty tired
> (and class at 8:30 tommorow).

Yup, was amazing. I missed a few of the *cough* "rarities" that he's
been playing elsewhere (Miami 2017, Vienna, All For Leyna), but this
was a tremendous show. Billy seemed to be in great spirits, his
voice sounded great (though I thought he lost it a bit near the end),
the drummer didn't suck, and the crowd--though they did all go to
the bathroom during the non-greatest-hits numbers--was very into it
for the most part. A few tiny comments interspersed below:

0. Theme from the Natural

> 1. Prelude/Angry Young Man
> 2. Pressure
> 3. Everybody Loves You Now

banter about whether or not he should play the next song in Boston...

> 4. New York State of Mind
> 5. Ballad of Billy the Kid
> 6. Stilleto
> 7. Zanzibar

Z. featured the changed lyric

"Rosie knows he'll never make the Hall of Fame"

> 8. Allentown
> 9. Great Wall of China (I was so happy to hear this song)
> 10. Sometimes a Fantasy
> 11. Sleeping With the Television On

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't recognize SWtTO from its
first few notes, even though I knew he'd been playing it
sometimes. I'm handing in my Billy Joel Die Hard card tomorrow.

> 12. Good Night Saigon
> 13. Movin' Out
> 14. The Night is Still Young

He introduced GWoC, WTNiSY, and one other (dang, can't remember)
by saying specifically that they were songs the band liked to play...
I think sort of apologizing for the fact that they were rarer songs.
He's got to get a bit more self-confidence about his non-greatest-hits.

> 15. She's Always a Woman (somebody called this on the general forums,
> it was amazing)
> 16. Keepin' the Faith
> 17. Midnight Hour (I think that's the title)-Wilson Pickett died today,
> Billy played this in his honor

Band did it well, too, IMO.

> 18. River of Dreams
> 19. I Go to Extremes
> 20. We Didn't Start the Fire
> 21. Big Shot
> 22. It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me

Lots of Stupid Microphone Tricks during these two, as he is wont to
do.

> 23. You May be Right

> Encore:
>
> 24. Only the Good Die Young
> 25. Scenes from an Italian Restauraunt
> 26. Piano Man
>
> As you can see, a great set-list full of suprises (for me, anyway).
> Full review, as I said, will come later.

I'll be glad to see your full review. We had a great time.

Lee

MikeC

Jan 20, 2006, 10:01:33 AM1/20/06
Great to see She's Always a Woman

MikeC

Jan 20, 2006, 10:43:29 AM1/20/06
you mentioned the theme from the Natural. That was played at his
second Ft. Lauderdale show (the 4th show on tour), but not at the
opening night show. It was dark, there were people walking around on
stage, no music at all, and out came Piano Man.

It was kinda awkward. I feel like they "forgot" the opening music.

Lee

Jan 20, 2006, 10:44:57 AM1/20/06

Sounds like growing pains =) I also forgot to mention that in
Scenes, he changed "perhaps a bottle of rose instead" to "perhaps
a bottle of ginger ale instead" -- I figure he's probably been
making both of these lyric changes at all the shows?

Lee

bostonbill41

Jan 20, 2006, 12:48:21 PM1/20/06

I thought the first half dragged a bit but overall Billy still kicks
ass. I think most of the under 30 crowd didnt get the first half of
older songs.

Bill

bostonbill41

Jan 20, 2006, 12:48:23 PM1/20/06

I thought the first half dragged a bit but overall Billy still kicks