Deluxe's Top 100 Albums List (Not Alternative!)

Tom Ewing

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine in
the world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums
Ever". It's not perfect - they haven't managed to completely excise
the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10) and there are a
couple of records which I think are complete shit, but in general, if
all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
together, this would be in the CD rack. The list, incidentally, is
transparently the result of consensus and suggestion rather than poll,
and all the better for it.

1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST
2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials
3.BLONDIE - The Best Of Blondie
4.WHAM! - The Final
5.COLDCUT - Journeys By DJ
6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4
10.NIRVANA - Nevermind
11.STEREO MCs - Connected
12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography
13.ABBA - Gold
14.THE JUNGLE BROTHERS - Done By The Forces Of Nature
15.THE BEAT - I Just Can't Stop It
16.HAPPY MONDAYS - Loads
17.THE CONGOS - Heart Of The Congos
18.AL GREEN - Al
19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising
20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music
21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full
22.THE BUZZCOCKS - Operator's Manual
23.VARIOUS - Hip Hop Don't Stop
24.VARIOUS - Drum And Bass Selection Vol 2
25.STAR WARS OST
26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes
27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council
29.MADONNA - The Ultimate Collection
30.SISTER SLEDGE - The Very Best Of 1973-93
31.JEFF WAYNE - War Of The Worlds
32.PET SHOP BOYS - Introspective
33.THE KLF - The White Room
34.VARIOUS - Disco Inferno
35.THE PRODIGY - Experience
36.VARIOUS - The House Sound Of London Vol.4
37.SLADE - Sladest
38.VARIOUS - The Sound Gallery
39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare
40.APHRODITE - Aphrodite Recordings
41.IAN DURY - The Very Best Of
42.JOHN BARRY - Themology
43.ADAM ANT - Hits
44.JIMI HENDRIX - Experience
45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of
47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags
48.RY COODER - Buena Vista Social Club
49.DURAN DURAN - Decade
50.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - Greatest Hits
51.NEW ORDER - Technique
52.AC/DC - Highway To Hell
53.AC/DC - Back In Black
54.THE TEMPTATIONS - Greatest Hits
55.MICHAEL JACKSON - Off The Wall
56.MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE JACKSON FIVE - The Best Of
57.EN VOGUE - Funky Divas
58.ELVIS PRESLEY - The Memphis Record
59.MARVIN GAYE - The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye
60.THE BELOVED - Happiness
61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...
62.VARIOUS - The Garage Sound Of Deepest New York
63.VARIOUS - 80s Soul Weekender 2
64.XTC - Fossil Fuel
65.FRANK SINATRA - In The Wee Small Hours
66.FRANK SINATRA - Come Fly With Me
67.FRANK SINATRA - Songs For Swingin' Lovers
68.DEPECHE MODE - Some Great Reward
69.MANFRED HUBLER AND SIEGFRIED SCHWAB - Vampyros Lesbos
70.THE MONKEES - Then And Now
71.QUEEN - Greatest Hits
72.THE SMITHS - The World Won't Listen
73. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths
Of Rhythm
74.CHET BAKER - The Best Of Chet Baker Sings
75.ISAAC HAYES - Hot Buttered Soul
76.TUBEWAY ARMY - Replicas
77.VARIOUS - Wild, Cool And Swingin'
78.BURT BACHARACH - The Look Of Love, The Classic Songs Of
79.LARRY HEARD - Classic Fingers
80.GANG STARR - Step In The Arena
81.VARIOUS - Help
82.CHEAP TRICK - Cheap Trick
83.KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie's Greatest Hits
84.VARIOUS - The Best Of Blue Note
85.BARRY WHITE - All-Time Greatest Hits
86.ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - The Very Best Of ELO
87.THE FOUR TOPS - Greatest Hits
88.MOTORHEAD - No Remorse
89.TLC - CrazySexyCool
90.VARIOUS - Essential Northern Soul
91.PARLIAMENT - The Best Of Parliament
92.DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Too-Rye-Ay
93.JOHNNY CASH - At Fulsom Prison and San Quentin
94.BLACK SABBATH - We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll
95.SOFT CELL - Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing
96.TEN CITY - Foundation
97.VARIOUS - The Best Sixties Album In The World Ever II
98.FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
99.LLOYD COLE AND THE COMMOTIONS - Rattlesnakes
100.VARIOUS - Blood And Fire Sampler: Heavyweight Soul

There you go. And yes, I do have time to kill this morning. :)

Cheers,
Tom.

Lulu

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

In article <3583e7a...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine in
>the world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums
>Ever". It's not perfect - they haven't managed to completely excise
>the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10) and there are a
>couple of records which I think are complete shit, but in general, if
>all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
>together,

With Geir as the wacky neighbour. I know. It's like Seinfeld.

>1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

GODDAMNIT. Look, this is how it always works. This is the ONLY CD on this
list that I have a true problem with. Even Wham! I can stomach, even
though #4 is *way* too high for any Wham! CD, ever. But SNF is, as I've
said to at least 100 different people in my life, the worst soundtrack
ever, and the Bee Gees are pure evil, personified in white leisure suit
form. I would like them to be beaten with sticks. They are higher on my
'People I Am Going To Kill' list than Billy Corgan and Michael Stipe. In
fact, if I ever lose my mind completely and go kill people, the Bee Gees
are first.

Mind you, the rest of the list was tops. It's just that that #1 literally
TERRIFIED me. That CD is not coming into our big shared flat, and that's
just the rule.

Cheers,
Lulu

--
"To the Idiotmobile!" - Jerry Seinfeld

Tom Madigan

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Tom Ewing wrote:

> Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine inthe
> world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums Ever".
> It's not perfect

Funny how "the best magazine in the world" can be excused for touting its
list as the best ever and then failing to reach come close.

> - they haven't managed to completely excise
> the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10)

Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.
Soft Cell is just now being appreciated as an equal artistic force.

Style Council but no Jam? Shouldn't a British magazine know better? I
love Paul Weller, but he always fails the laughter test when I imagine him
trying to sing "If I could just touch the hem of His garment."

> and there are a
> couple of records which I think are complete shit,

Me too.

> but in general, if
> all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
> together,

I've been called "asshole" for 24 consecutive weeks. I've got to keep
that streak going.

> this would be in the CD rack.

Gimme gimme George Michael!

> The list, incidentally, is
> transparently the result of consensus and suggestion rather than poll,
> and all the better for it.

I think polls are skewed too, but only because people are asked to vote
for their top five or so rather than 100, which it should be if you're
going to go for any "accuracy." But what the hell, I'm no populist in the
first place ;)

Best-of compilations are such a copout in top 100 lists. If you take
albums as nothing but collections of songs, then any good band ought to
have a record worthy of a "top 100." But there are several good reasons
why the Rolling Stones' best record (in my view, not everyone's) is _Exile
on Main Street_ instead of _Hot Rocks_. The only compilations I could see
are for artists or genres whose individual albums are lost to history or
for '50s rock and rollers whose main medium was singles and not albums.

The choices I can't possibly see (best-ofs included) in any historical top
100 are:

> 2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials
> 3.BLONDIE - The Best Of Blondie
> 4.WHAM! - The Final

> 11.STEREO MCs - Connected
> 12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography
> 13.ABBA - Gold

> 17.THE CONGOS - Heart Of The Congos

> 20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music

> 21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full
> 22.THE BUZZCOCKS - Operator's Manual
> 23.VARIOUS - Hip Hop Don't Stop
> 24.VARIOUS - Drum And Bass Selection Vol 2
> 25.STAR WARS OST
> 26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes
> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
> 28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council
> 29.MADONNA - The Ultimate Collection
> 30.SISTER SLEDGE - The Very Best Of 1973-93
> 31.JEFF WAYNE - War Of The Worlds
> 32.PET SHOP BOYS - Introspective
> 33.THE KLF - The White Room
> 34.VARIOUS - Disco Inferno
> 35.THE PRODIGY - Experience

> 37.SLADE - Sladest
> 38.VARIOUS - The Sound Gallery
> 39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare
> 40.APHRODITE - Aphrodite Recordings
> 41.IAN DURY - The Very Best Of
> 42.JOHN BARRY - Themology
> 43.ADAM ANT - Hits
> 44.JIMI HENDRIX - Experience
> 45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
> 46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of
> 47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags
> 48.RY COODER - Buena Vista Social Club
> 49.DURAN DURAN - Decade
> 50.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - Greatest Hits
> 51.NEW ORDER - Technique

> 54.THE TEMPTATIONS - Greatest Hits
> 55.MICHAEL JACKSON - Off The Wall
> 56.MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE JACKSON FIVE - The Best Of
> 57.EN VOGUE - Funky Divas

> 59.MARVIN GAYE - The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye
> 60.THE BELOVED - Happiness
> 61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...

> 63.VARIOUS - 80s Soul Weekender 2
> 64.XTC - Fossil Fuel

> 68.DEPECHE MODE - Some Great Reward
> 69.MANFRED HUBLER AND SIEGFRIED SCHWAB - Vampyros Lesbos
> 70.THE MONKEES - Then And Now

The Monkees?

> 71.QUEEN - Greatest Hits
> 72.THE SMITHS - The World Won't Listen

> 77.VARIOUS - Wild, Cool And Swingin'
> 78.BURT BACHARACH - The Look Of Love, The Classic Songs Of
> 79.LARRY HEARD - Classic Fingers

> 81.VARIOUS - Help

> 83.KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie's Greatest Hits

> 85.BARRY WHITE - All-Time Greatest Hits
> 86.ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - The Very Best Of ELO
> 87.THE FOUR TOPS - Greatest Hits

> 89.TLC - CrazySexyCool

As my old roommate used to say, "SaneSluttyTrendy."

> 90.VARIOUS - Essential Northern Soul
> 91.PARLIAMENT - The Best Of Parliament
> 92.DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Too-Rye-Ay

> 94.BLACK SABBATH - We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll
> 95.SOFT CELL - Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing
> 96.TEN CITY - Foundation
> 97.VARIOUS - The Best Sixties Album In The World Ever II
> 98.FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

> 100.VARIOUS - Blood And Fire Sampler: Heavyweight Soul

So I guess I disagree with the entire list, with a few exceptions.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Lulu

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

In article <358462F2...@wt.infi.net>, tmad...@wt.infi.net wrote:

>Tom Ewing wrote:
>> - they haven't managed to completely excise
>> the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10)
>Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.

I was thinking the same thing, yet somehow I think our tones would be
wholly different in saying it...

>Style Council but no Jam? Shouldn't a British magazine know better?

Yeah. Why include any of Weller's stuff at all?

>I've been called "asshole" for 24 consecutive weeks. I've got to keep
>that streak going.

Asshole. Does that keep you happy?

>I think polls are skewed too, but only because people are asked to vote
>for their top five or so rather than 100, which it should be if you're
>going to go for any "accuracy."

I suppose so. If people had to come up with 100, they'd think about it
more and stop listing 'stand bys' and actually come up with something
decent. Assuming the list isn't done by Mojo.

>Best-of compilations are such a copout in top 100 lists.

Why? Generally, they're some of the best albums out there. Any decent
compilation takes into thought the same thing that other 'normal' albums
think of: segues, how songs sound next to one another, proper 'beginning'
and 'closing' songs, so on and so forth. One could make a case that most
compilation albums show more thought than most regular albums. I mean, I'd
sooner listen to a Beatles compilation than ANY of their albums.

Tom Madigan

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Lulu wrote:

> >Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.
>
> I was thinking the same thing, yet somehow I think our tones would be
> wholly different in saying it...

Well, I *am* an asshole ;) No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm
congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
Stones.

> >I've been called "asshole" for 24 consecutive weeks. I've got to keep
> >that streak going.
>
> Asshole. Does that keep you happy?

I feel more at peace.

> >Best-of compilations are such a copout in top 100 lists.
>
> Why? Generally, they're some of the best albums out there. Any decent
> compilation takes into thought the same thing that other 'normal' albums
> think of: segues, how songs sound next to one another, proper 'beginning'
> and 'closing' songs, so on and so forth.

I can think of almost no best-ofs that take album construction into account
(the great majority of them are out of the artists' hands anyway). Chronology
seems to be the only order imposed. One Jam set (the good one other than
_Snap_) starts with "In the City" and ends with "Beat Surrender" ... not bad,
but that was really just luck, and the internal order isn't quite magic. If
you have a compilation of different bands, etc., you have more room to
maneuver, but many of these are just songs clumped in together as well. Rhino
does a good job unearthing lost music, but they take little care in
constructing albums.

Another problem with anthologies is illustrted by a Sly and the Family Stone
disc that features both "Stand" and "Thank You For Talkin' to Me Africa."
Listening to both of those on the same album is culture shock for me.
Especially since _There's a riot going on_, from whence comes "Africa," is one
of the most stark and desolate rock albums ever made (also one of the best),
and listening to anything upbeat after that is a bit jarring.

> One could make a case that most
> compilation albums show more thought than most regular albums.

Really? I have never heard a haphazardly constructed album by a great band
even when the music wasn't so good.

> I mean, I'd
> sooner listen to a Beatles compilation than ANY of their albums.

Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
*albums* as we know them. And they didn't leave much room for improvement in
the process, to be honest. Listening to _Rubber Soul_ or _Abbey Road_
straight through is quite a separate experience (no drugs involved) from
listening to four or five songs from each album on "Blue" or "Red" or
something. That's the surest test of a good album.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Lulu

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

>Lulu wrote:
>> >Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.
>> I was thinking the same thing, yet somehow I think our tones would be
>> wholly different in saying it...
>Well, I *am* an asshole ;)

Tell me about it! Sheesh! Some people!

>No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm
>congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
>Stones.

Well, here's my take on it. A decent Beatles' compilation should be top 50
in any list, cos they did have great songs. But albums? Their best (like
an album or two) prolly wouldn't come 'til the very depths of the top 100
if I was writing it, if at all. So I can understand leaving them off
completely, if it's a subjective list and not an 'influence' sort of list.

>> Asshole. Does that keep you happy?
>I feel more at peace.

I only aimed to please. Really.

[snip of albums v. compilations cos there's no way in hell we're gonna agree]

>> I mean, I'd
>> sooner listen to a Beatles compilation than ANY of their albums.
>Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
>*albums* as we know them.

I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.

Kris Srinivasan

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Tom Madigan (tmad...@wt.infi.net) wrote:
: Well, I *am* an asshole ;) No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm

: congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
: Stones.

Gene therapy is on the horizon; there's hope for you yet grandpa.

The only reason this list is any better than any of the others is because
it does include best-ofs. Including Wham, though, is pretty much
inexcusable. The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).

Is this a gay men's mag? There's a lot of campy junk in that list.

And Nevermind really is a pretty great album.

Kris.

Tom Ewing

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On 15 Jun 1998 04:46:38 GMT, ez05...@dilbert.ucdavis.edu (Kris
Srinivasan) wrote:

>Tom Madigan (tmad...@wt.infi.net) wrote:
>: Well, I *am* an asshole ;) No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm
>: congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
>: Stones.

It's worth pointing out at this stage that the article was a reaction
against a huge spate of Top 100 Lists that have been printed over
here, and that as a reactionary piece it consciously excluded all the
records (there's no PF or REM or Radiohead either) that always make
such lists. So it's certainly not meant to be any kind of historical
or objective list. I quote the mag blurb: "The truth is, most of us
are terrified of feeling uncool and so we vote for the record we think
we ought to....the ones we really like, the daft or truly joyful pop
albums, get left by the wayside."

>Gene therapy is on the horizon; there's hope for you yet grandpa.
>
>The only reason this list is any better than any of the others is because
>it does include best-ofs. Including Wham, though, is pretty much
>inexcusable. The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
>to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).
>
>Is this a gay men's mag? There's a lot of campy junk in that list.

Such as? There's a lot of stuff on there which I'd call "ironic" and
not necessarily agree with its inclusion, but that's not quite the
same as saying "campy junk". It's not a gay mag, no.

>And Nevermind really is a pretty great album.

My objection to its inclusion is more based on its going against the
blurb above. Though I could take it or leave it, aesthetically.

Cheers,
Tom.
np: The Contours - "First I Look At The Purse"

Tom Ewing

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:55:30 -0400, Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net>
wrote:

>> - they haven't managed to completely excise
>> the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10)
>

>Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.

>Soft Cell is just now being appreciated as an equal artistic force.

The Soft Cell record they chose is more historically important than
enjoyable, I'l admit. As for your other contention, I prefer "Non-Stop
Erotic Cabaret" to any Beatles album, but see my other post for why
Deluxe didnt include the Beatles.

>Style Council but no Jam? Shouldn't a British magazine know better? I
>love Paul Weller, but he always fails the laughter test when I imagine him
>trying to sing "If I could just touch the hem of His garment."

I think the Jam released about eight or nine terrific singles, and the
Style Council released another eight or nine. From a Greatest Hits
p.o.v., it's a toss-up.

>Best-of compilations are such a copout in top 100 lists. If you take
>albums as nothing but collections of songs, then any good band ought to
>have a record worthy of a "top 100." But there are several good reasons
>why the Rolling Stones' best record (in my view, not everyone's) is _Exile
>on Main Street_ instead of _Hot Rocks_. The only compilations I could see
>are for artists or genres whose individual albums are lost to history or
>for '50s rock and rollers whose main medium was singles and not albums.

You could use the same argument for 60s (and even 70s) soul, and all
modern dance genres. And most of the Various Artists stuff in the list
comes under those categories.

>The choices I can't possibly see (best-ofs included) in any historical top
>100 are:

Here's where I run into problems. If these were just the records you
personally didn't like, fair enough, but I think several of these
would have a decent chance in any 'historical' Top 100.

>> 12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography
>> 13.ABBA - Gold

Well, OK, this is my personal taste talking, but these are two of the
best singles acts of all time, and they just are better represented by
their best-ofs than any albums (though most PSB LPs and at least one
Abba LP are worth owning too)

>> 17.THE CONGOS - Heart Of The Congos

Lee Perry's best full album production - classic reggae, superior to
anything Bob Marley did. This deserves inclusion, and more people
should hear it too.

>> 21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full

Rakim is important and top-quality, too: in terms of lyrical
complexity and advancing rapping style, he's probably more important
than Chuck D.

>> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix

They deserve an album on a historical Top 100, this one may not be it.

>> 45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

This should be included: the pinnacle of 'new pop' in the 80s.

>> 46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of
>> 47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags

Are you excluding these because you doubt the artists' historical
importance or because they're best of. Steely Dan is a good example of
where no single 'Best Of' works, though.

>> 48.RY COODER - Buena Vista Social Club

Have you heard it?

>> 51.NEW ORDER - Technique

Pretty much the first good full dance album - important and top
quality.

>> 61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...

The best pop group ever, I sometimes think.

>> 87.THE FOUR TOPS - Greatest Hits

You'd really prefer their original albums? I ask this because it's
preferable to the mind-boggling proposition that you some how think
them (and the Temptations, for that matter) historically undeserving.

>> 89.TLC - CrazySexyCool
>
>As my old roommate used to say, "SaneSluttyTrendy."

Your old roommate was quite the wit, I must say. Definitely deserves
inclusion as head and shoulders the best swingbeat album ever. (that
I've heard, Fred, before you start... )

>So I guess I disagree with the entire list, with a few exceptions.

It would have been nice to have highlighted the ones you hadn't
actually heard, but other than that, fair enough.

Cheers,
Tom.

Geir Hongro

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

I'm sorry, but this list stinks!

I just can't take seriously a "Best ever" list with almost no 60s
albums on it at all.

And there is FAR too much disco on it too........

--

Geir Hongro

Beatles,Beach Boys,Hollies,Byrds,Tamla Motown,Paul
Simon,Genesis,Yes,Pink Floyd,10cc,Queen,ELO,Bob Marley,
Marillion,Split Enz,Madness,XTC,Squeeze,Aztec Camera,
Prefab Sprout,Scritti Politti,Gangway,Depeche Mode,
Human League,OMD,Yazoo,Erasure,Cure,Prince,Lightning
Seeds,Crowded House,Dodgy,Blur,Oasis,Radiohead,Kula
Shaker,Supernaturals,Super Furry Animals,Orbital
Norwegian: http://home.sol.no/knhongro/Geir/
English: http://home.sol.no/knhongro/Geir/andnow.htm

Geir Hongro

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net> wrote:
>Tom Ewing wrote:
>
>> Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine inthe
>> world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums Ever".
>> It's not perfect
>
>Funny how "the best magazine in the world" can be excused for touting its
>list as the best ever and then failing to reach come close.
>
>> - they haven't managed to completely excise
>> the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10)
>
>Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.
>Soft Cell is just now being appreciated as an equal artistic force.
>
>Style Council but no Jam? Shouldn't a British magazine know better? I
>love Paul Weller, but he always fails the laughter test when I imagine him
>trying to sing "If I could just touch the hem of His garment."
>
>> and there are a
>> couple of records which I think are complete shit,
>
>Me too.
>
>> but in general, if
>> all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
>> together,
>
>I've been called "asshole" for 24 consecutive weeks. I've got to keep
>that streak going.
>
>> this would be in the CD rack.
>
>Gimme gimme George Michael!
>
>> The list, incidentally, is
>> transparently the result of consensus and suggestion rather than poll,
>> and all the better for it.
>
>I think polls are skewed too, but only because people are asked to vote
>for their top five or so rather than 100, which it should be if you're
>going to go for any "accuracy." But what the hell, I'm no populist in the
>first place ;)
>
>Best-of compilations are such a copout in top 100 lists. If you take
>albums as nothing but collections of songs, then any good band ought to
>have a record worthy of a "top 100." But there are several good reasons
>why the Rolling Stones' best record (in my view, not everyone's) is _Exile
>on Main Street_ instead of _Hot Rocks_. The only compilations I could see
>are for artists or genres whose individual albums are lost to history or
>for '50s rock and rollers whose main medium was singles and not albums.

Also some 60s acts such as Kinks etc.

Still I generally agree with you. A great album is supposed to be
listened to as an entirety. They you can't just cut an act's
albums into bits and pieces and put them on such lists as
compilations.

I still dislike the fact that "Legend" seems to be generally
viewed as the best Bob Marley album ever. Yes, it is a great
compilation, but the fact that it is should in itself exclude the
album from being mentioned on "Best Ever" lists.

Geir Hongro

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom Ewing) wrote:

>Well, OK, this is my personal taste talking, but these are two of the
>best singles acts of all time, and they just are better represented by
>their best-ofs than any albums (though most PSB LPs and at least one
>Abba LP are worth owning too)

They definitely belong on a "Best Compilations Ever" list, but in
a list like this they should have included "Very" and "The Album"
instead.

>>> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
>
>They deserve an album on a historical Top 100, this one may not be it.

Why? The tracks don't even sound the way they originally did. Give
me "Man Machine" anytime!

Geir Hongro

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom Ewing) wrote:

>1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

>6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
>7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
>8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
>9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4
>10.NIRVANA - Nevermind

>19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising

>39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare

>45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

These albums all occasionally appear on this kind of "Best Ever"
lists, so following their own incredibly stupic rule they should
have excluded them.

Persi

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <3583e7a...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk
says...

>Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine in
>the world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums
>Ever". It's not perfect - they haven't managed to completely excise
>the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10) and there are a
>couple of records which I think are complete shit, but in general, if

>all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
>together, this would be in the CD rack. The list, incidentally, is

>transparently the result of consensus and suggestion rather than poll,
>and all the better for it.

Great list. I'd love to have alot of the stuff on that list. I was glad to
see the Coldcut JDJ mix CD was so high. It's probably the best mix I've ever
heard. Everything about it is flawless.

--
In My CD Changer/Stereo:

Silver Apples/Windy and Carl - split 7"
Vocokesh - Paradise Revisited (Attn...space rock fans!!!)
Theatre of Sound (Various)

Film: The Truman Show

Persi

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <358512b...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk
says...

>Such as? There's a lot of stuff on there which I'd call "ironic" and
>not necessarily agree with its inclusion, but that's not quite the
>same as saying "campy junk". It's not a gay mag, no.
>
>>And Nevermind really is a pretty great album.
>
>My objection to its inclusion is more based on its going against the
>blurb above. Though I could take it or leave it, aesthetically.

I'll take it. Nevermind is a really great album, as are both Bleach and in
Utero. When I first heard Nirvana I was blown away. I liked alot of stuff
like Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, etc, but some of the melodies and production
on Nevermind are timeless. I'd easily include in a best of top 100 list.

Michael Daddino

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Kris Srinivasan wrote:

> The only reason this list is any better than any of the others is because
> it does include best-ofs.

I agree. Usually best-ofs are taken off or at least down-played in these
lists because they're trying to gauge historical importance, but
frankly, I'd rather have the list-makers simply list the stuff that's
always on their CD changers and leave the issues of historical
importance and achievement to the rock historians.

> Including Wham, though, is pretty much
> inexcusable.

I think I've heard "Careless Whisper" on the radio and seen the video on
MTV more than any other song or video I can think of*. And in my own
personal "Groundhog Day", I will wake up early to "Carless Whisper"
every morning before the sun comes up, over and over again. I didn't
like it when I first heard it, what with its' puppy-dog self-pity, and
after several thousand of George Michael's whimperings any good feelings
I had about Wham! have been surgically excised from my soul. And I
bought "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" when it came out, too.

*And it took me a hundred listenings and a hundred viewings of that
stupid "on location on vacation" video to make realize "Oh. He's
cheating on her, the bastard."

> Is this a gay men's mag? There's a lot of campy junk in that list.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Lots of theatrical singers, soul,
dance music, polished and well-groomed pop -- I don't know if I'd typify
most of the albums as junk, but taken as a whole, the list has a certain
kitschy edge to it. And kitsch in music is somewhere between an obvious
gay cliche or an unfair gay stereotype. (I'm not terribly offended.
Personally, I wish my friends had taste that good.)

While the number of records on that list I wouldn't enjoy hearing might
number ten at most, if I was listening to all this on a 100-CD changer
(and shit yeah, I just went to Radio Shack and those things are CHEAP!),
I'd probably take a few out, maybe the Scott Walkers, and put in some
stuff that was a little more abrasive. Otherwise, I'd be climbing the
walls after a while.

I know I've seen *Deluxe* before, but I don't quite remember it. I'm
betting it's probably not *gay* per-se, it's probably coyly gay like
*Details* is.

> And Nevermind really is a pretty great album.

Yeah, but I like *In Utero* even better.

-- Mike

Culture Artifact of the Moment: Insomnia.

fsol...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

*sigh* my server has gotten so bad that it's come to this.
i posted some things that, if they don't show up, i'll
mail you about, tom.

first, some comments. as a riposte, i can swallow this.
you've seen mt top 55 artists, so you know that i'm a
classicist of geirish proportions. but i also have a
wide pop& soul streak in me as well. i like the beatles
and i like the stones. i like "revolver" and i like
"exile." and if they include best-ofs, no 'hot rocks'?

but, sure, i'll allow them this. there are a few omissions
that i can't abide by and a *lot* of the selections smack
of "ha! let's see you put this on *your* countdown!" smugness.
they try to cover all of their bases from electro-pop to swingbeat
and sometimes it just seems to be screaming "love me more
than any other top 100 albums list you've ever seen!!"

i *don't* think best-ofs should be included as it's unfair
to certain acts who've made perfectly good albums only to
be toppled by the best of one artists output. for someone
like the psb, it's fine, though their albums can convey
moods well (behaviour, very.) but, in essence, they're a
singles act. same goes for abba. *but* i'll take 'pet sounds'
over a beach boys best-of any day and i'd take 'what's going
on' over 'the very best of marvin gaye' (does this even exist?
marvin is notorious for having bad compilations though the
master set is the last word as far as that goes.)

on to the albums!

> 1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

high, though i have this on double vinyl and
yes, i don't mind the beegees. to quote michael
d., "mmmmm, bee gees." ;)

> 2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials
> 3.BLONDIE - The Best Of Blondie

eh? i like the specials, but number 2?
and i've never liked blondie. sorry.

> 4.WHAM! - The Final
i have no problem with wham! i own two albums
as a matter of fact. this is a best-of? this
is another case where the best-of is better
than any album. but c'mon, even i'm not so
ironic to put this this high. top 50, maybe. ;)

> 5.COLDCUT - Journeys By DJ

hmmm.

> 6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
> 7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
> 8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
> 9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4

come on now. ;) i could live without 3 and
2 is inching into my top 20.

> 10.NIRVANA - Nevermind
i've never liked this album and they blew the
whole vibe they had going with this pick. it
just goes against the very nature of this list.

> 11.STEREO MCs - Connected
don't own. should i? i didn't like the title
cut that more or the followup single.

> 12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography

*grins* not high enough! ;)

> 13.ABBA - Gold
not big on abba. i have yet to buy
into the critical reassessment. sorry
elvis!

> 14.THE JUNGLE BROTHERS - Done By The Forces Of Nature

i know this is one you don't care for, tom.
i like it lots but definitely not this high.

> 16.HAPPY MONDAYS - Loads
i have double easy and it's great. love the
mondays.

> 18.AL GREEN - Al
comp? give me "call me" or "i'm still in love with you."
but yes, this is closer to the top than he would've
gotten with q.

> 19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising

this is right where i have it.

> 20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music

i like it, but i don't like lumping it all into this
one comp. plenty of great artists on here with great albums.

> 21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full

yep.

alright, let's speed this up. albums i have no
problem with:

> 30.SISTER SLEDGE - The Very Best Of 1973-93

> 32.PET SHOP BOYS - Introspective

give me 'very' any day though.

> 26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes
never heard it but love 'moon safari'
to pieces. i've located a copy so i'll have
to pick it up. but, boy, would this pick
have been here 8 months ago? ;)

> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
a terrible cd, but they should be represented.

> 42.JOHN BARRY - Themology
> 44.JIMI HENDRIX - Experience
glad to see he's not too much of a relic.

> 45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

> 47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags

give me "every picture..." i listened to his
new one in the record store the other day.
believe the hype, or most of it. i just may
pick this up (to the consternation of ama
en masse.)

> 50.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - Greatest Hits

*after* duran duran?! and no 'stand' or 'riot'?
though this is my favorite album of all-time, he
would've fared better with nme.

> 51.NEW ORDER - Technique
substance is better.

> 54.THE TEMPTATIONS - Greatest Hits
> 55.MICHAEL JACKSON - Off The Wall
> 56.MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE JACKSON FIVE - The Best Of

i'd have all three of these higher, esp. 56.

> 59.MARVIN GAYE - The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye

slap in the face, really.

> 61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...

too low.

> 65.FRANK SINATRA - In The Wee Small Hours
> 66.FRANK SINATRA - Come Fly With Me
> 67.FRANK SINATRA - Songs For Swingin' Lovers

akin to the walker listing. how ironic. ;)

> 72.THE SMITHS - The World Won't Listen

after queen? *insert queen is dead joke here*
this became 'louder than bombs' yes?

> 73. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths
> Of Rhythm

ugh. more pretension. good, but not great.

> 75.ISAAC HAYES - Hot Buttered Soul

better than he would fare with anyone else
regardless of how massive attack plug him.
pulled this out last night. fantastic!

> 78.BURT BACHARACH - The Look Of Love, The Classic Songs Of

love burt.

> 80.GANG STARR - Step In The Arena

see 73. another 'unrecognized classic!' 'daily
operation' baby.

> 81.VARIOUS - Help
and is this what i think it is? it's incredibly
high, but i like it a lot.

> 84.VARIOUS - The Best Of Blue Note

see 20.

> 85.BARRY WHITE - All-Time Greatest Hits

awwwwww, baby. i have to send you some barry
white, tom. ;)

> 87.THE FOUR TOPS - Greatest Hits

love them. one of the great, though inconsistent,
singles act ever. levi stubbs is god, occasionally.

> 91.PARLIAMENT - The Best Of Parliament

"uh, oh, we're getting near the end. we better put
the 'freaky black dude'* in there!"

*(c) michael daddino.

if i don't list it, it means i haven't heard it or
am indifferent towards it.

> 28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council

and so high even!

> 29.MADONNA - The Ultimate Collection

i don't really have a problem with this but i'll use this
as a launching pad. how can this be on here, and so high,
and prince's "hits" not be? even mj makes the list and no
matter how fashionable it is to *lurve* mj pre-"thriller",
it's in now way better than a handful of prince albums.

other faves not in here: bowie, roxy, stevie (!!!!), the beach
boys (!!!!), 'back to mono.' and probably a million others.

> 35.THE PRODIGY - Experience
que?

> 39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare

am i the only one who really doesn't care for this?
as a historical document, fine. but as a great album?

> 46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of

*hate* them.

> 48.RY COODER - Buena Vista Social Club

now this is a good album. *but* it's so
recent and is it reactionary to call it
the 48th best album ever made?

> 49.DURAN DURAN - Decade

> 52.AC/DC - Highway To Hell
> 53.AC/DC - Back In Black

ac/dc is cool, but not led zep? :P

> 57.EN VOGUE - Funky Divas

this disgusts me. did they really listen
to this? and better than the best of marvin
gaye? a few great singles, but that's it.
i'd take 'born to sing' really.

> 70.THE MONKEES - Then And Now

> 71.QUEEN - Greatest Hits

> 83.KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie's Greatest Hits

> 86.ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - The Very Best Of ELO

> 89.TLC - CrazySexyCool
see 57. this has one excellent single. and that's it.
i prefer their debut really. if they really wanted to
shock, they should've put guy's "guy" in here. but they're
too unknown to really shock. but it's the best swingbeat
album ever.

> There you go. And yes, I do have time to kill this morning. :)
as do i. ;) i should construct my own top 100 and attach it to
a fictitious magazine. who'd ever find out? and who's to say
that tom didn't do the same. ;)

peace...fred
(np: howard tate, "get it while you can")

fsol...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <6m3gr2$mmb$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

fsol...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> other faves not in here: bowie, roxy, stevie (!!!!), the beach
> boys (!!!!), 'back to mono.' and probably a million others.

and great harm should befall me for forgetting "star time."
allowing comps, it should be top 3. imo, of course. but to
include comps and to not put it in the top 100 is an affront
of the highest degree. *i'd* not live in a flat where this wasn't
in the cd rack. ;)

peace...fred
(np: spacemen 3, "transparent radiation")

J. Mcglinchey

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On 15 Jun 1998, Kris Srinivasan wrote:

> inexcusable. The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).

The Monkees made some absolutely great music. I was listening to
"More of the Monkees" and "Pisces Aquarius etc." just last night, and
remembering how terrific a lot of their songs really were. "Love is Only
Sleeping" is a magnificent cut, and were it not for the obviously
non-British vocals, sounds like something that would have fit just fine on
Revolver or Piper at the Gates of Dawn. The songs generally have some
nice arrangement work on them, too, and cover a lot of ground.
"Sometime in the Morning" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow" are gorgeous
pop tunes, whereas "What Am I Doing Hanging Round" is some decent country
rock (if you believe there can be such a thing, which I certainly do).
And how about "Magnolia Simms," with the surface noise and the entire
track placed in one channel?

The other thing I was marvelling at was, Mickey Dolenz and Mike Nesmith
really *were* great singers (Peter Tork, well...). And, despite his
limitations, even Davey Jones had more than his share of moments.

Joe M.
U of Washington

Tom Ewing

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 05:53:43 -0400, Michael Daddino <mra...@ibm.net>
wrote:

>While the number of records on that list I wouldn't enjoy hearing might
>number ten at most, if I was listening to all this on a 100-CD changer
>(and shit yeah, I just went to Radio Shack and those things are CHEAP!),
>I'd probably take a few out, maybe the Scott Walkers, and put in some
>stuff that was a little more abrasive. Otherwise, I'd be climbing the
>walls after a while.

Fair point, I think. Obviously the list as it stands comes nowhere
near any kind of Top 100 I'd put together myself, but OTOH I'd be
happier with my record collection if all these records were in it,
which counts for something. I agree that 4 Scott Walker albums is too
many - Scott 2 and 3 might make my cut. Still, they made their point.

Cheers,
Tom.
Cultural Artefact Of The Moment: Plus-Size Women's Clothing Shops.
Unbearably defeatist - everything from the pastel colours to the
oh-so-softly-played adult-oriented pop screams "You'll never be trendy
or attractive, girls, but at least you'll be TASTEFUL!" With friends
like these.....

Tom Ewing

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On 15 Jun 1998 08:17:21 GMT, Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:

>>They deserve an album on a historical Top 100, this one may not be it.
>
>Why? The tracks don't even sound the way they originally did. Give
>me "Man Machine" anytime!

Geir, read the posts you reply to..."THIS ONE MAY NOT BE IT" is not a
ringing endorsement of 'The Mix'. I'd pick "Trans-Europe Express" for
importance and aesthetics.

Cheers,
Tom.

J. Mcglinchey

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Tom Ewing wrote:

> 1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

Sure, why not? (Anything that Robert Stigwood produced must be awesome)

> 2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials

Speaking of old ska bands, I was talking with someone at a party last
Saturday, and he said that the band Madness (of "Our House" fame) was
actually geared towards the skinhead/Neo-Nazi movement. I was completely
unaware of this if it's true (he was talking pretty credibly). Can our
British friends and/or knowledgeable ska-ites shed some light on this
topic for us more oblivious folk?

> 4.WHAM! - The Final

People have been talking to death about "Careless Whisper," but for me the
Wham! song that continually plays over in my head the most is "Freedom"
(the original one, not the solo George Michael one, though that's good
too): "I don't want your Freeeeee-dom, girl all I want right now is you".

> 10.NIRVANA - Nevermind

Damn! And they were going so well, too.

> 12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography

I personally have never been able to get into the Pet Shop Boys. I was
humbly curious as to what people see in them? Neil Tennant's voice to
me is like a nasally Al Stewart.

> 25.STAR WARS OST

This is a stunner. One of my best friends once sent me a mixed tape
that had on it the song the Ewoks sing at the end of "Return of the
Jedi"! I wonder if he writes for Deluxe in his spare time.

> 44.JIMI HENDRIX - Experience

Bah! See number 10.

> 65.FRANK SINATRA - In The Wee Small Hours
> 66.FRANK SINATRA - Come Fly With Me
> 67.FRANK SINATRA - Songs For Swingin' Lovers

Smacks too much of "Frank died recently, so let's put him in to show how
influential he was". If you're gonna put an old-timer in there, I say it
should be a woman: say Doris Day's Greatest Hits, or Julie London's
calendar album (especially the latter, if they print the album covers? ;))

> 86.ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - The Very Best Of ELO

Geir, do you know something we all don't? :)

Thanks, Tom!
That was a great list! I am glad to see there was no Zeppelin,
Beatles, Who, Floyd, Velvet Underground (well, maybe an appearance from
"White Light/White Heat" might've been nice), Sex Pistols, Clash, or Elvis
Costello anywhere in sight. Some glaring omissions, by the way, that
Deluxe may want to consider in the future:

THE SPINNERS- The Best Of
URIAH HEEP- The Best Of
KISS- Alive II
DR. DEMENTO- The 20th Anniversary Collection
TOM LEHRER- An Evening Wasted With
THE MANHATTANS- Kiss and Say Goodbye: The Best of
SPIKE JONES- Greatest Hits
TENPOLE TUDOR- The Eddie Bob Tom Dick and Harry album
YVONNE ELIMAN- The Best Of...

Also, some Saxon, Maiden, Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, and Fastway would've
been nice, if they *really* wanted to go all the way.

mark bartlam

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Srinivasan) wrote:

>Is this a gay men's mag?

No. It's simply the latest in a whole long line of "lad" magazines
(see Loaded, FHM, GQ, Esquire...)

>There's a lot of campy junk in that list.

Camp is a bad choice of word. Kitsch would have been better, I feel.

--mark®

--
}---------{mark bartlam}---------{
© 1998. All rights reserved.

mark bartlam

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 15:45:54 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom
Ewing) wrote:

>Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine in
>the world,

I wouldn't go that far, although I enjoyed their recent piece on Ardal
O'Hanlon. I haven't paid a great deal of attention to their music
section, I'm afraid.

>1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

>4.WHAM! - The Final

No way! I'm not happy with either of these.

>2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials

I grew up on a staple diet of The Specials, so naturally I'm pleased
to see this album so high. The Specials are often overlooked, sadly.

>5.COLDCUT - Journeys By DJ

I've just mentioned this in alt.music.techno... a great mix
compilation that, sadly, often gets overlooked.

>6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
>7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
>8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
>9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4

Could have been worse... at least they neglected to include "Tilt".
This is overkill, however - they could get rid of at least two of
those four albums (as long as they leave Scott 4).

>14.THE JUNGLE BROTHERS - Done By The Forces Of Nature

>19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising

>73. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths
>Of Rhythm

Nice to see some truly classic hip-hop represented.

>20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music

This seems a bit of a token inclusion. I could have done with a few
more dub albums, perhaps a Horace Andy or Gregory Isaacs compilation.
And why nothing from Lee "Scratch" Perry?

>26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes

This seems an odd choice. It seems deliberately obtuse to pick this
rather than "Moon Safari".

>27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix

Put simply, a travesty. This is a very poor representation of
Kraftwerk IMO.

>28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council

I didn't rate the Style Council and neither, it seems, do many of
these list compilers.

>33.THE KLF - The White Room

Some great singles but a dire album. "Chill Out" would have been a
better choice.

>35.THE PRODIGY - Experience

I'm sure you were pleased to see this, Tom, rather than "Music For The
Jilted Generation" or "Fat Of The Land". It's certainly the most "pop"
album the Prodigy have done.

>37.SLADE - Sladest

Yes! I've always been something of a closet Slade fan.

>39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare

Something of an obvious choice, but entirely deserving of a place in
any list. It would have been nice to see "Reproduction" or
"Travelogue" represented, but never mind.

>40.APHRODITE - Aphrodite Recordings

Another of Tom's favourites... ;-)

>60.THE BELOVED - Happiness

Nice to see The Beloved included... a great album indeed.

>70.THE MONKEES - Then And Now

Ah, the original prototype for every boy band that currently plagues
our charts. I'm surprised that The Monkees don't have a more
favourable reputation. Some of "their" songs are real gems.

>81.VARIOUS - Help

Is this the War Child compilation? If so, a worthy cause but an
*incredibly* dull album notable only for the Manics' version of
"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head".

>83.KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie's Greatest Hits

Hmm... is this ironic?

>93.JOHNNY CASH - At Fulsom Prison and San Quentin

Good choice. History seems to view this, or certainly the San Quentin
segment, as something of a classic performance. Seminal Johnny Cash,
in other words.

>There you go. And yes, I do have time to kill this morning. :)

I trust you're up to date on Freaky Trigger then ;-)

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <bitchyspice-14...@ip-81-93.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,

Lulu <bitch...@duh.com> wrote:

>>> I was thinking the same thing, yet somehow I think our tones would be
>>> wholly different in saying it...
>>Well, I *am* an asshole ;)
>
>Tell me about it! Sheesh! Some people!
>
>>No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm
>>congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
>>Stones.
>
>Well, here's my take on it. A decent Beatles' compilation should be top 50
>in any list, cos they did have great songs. But albums? Their best (like
>an album or two) prolly wouldn't come 'til the very depths of the top 100
>if I was writing it, if at all. So I can understand leaving them off
>completely, if it's a subjective list and not an 'influence' sort of list.

I would include "The Beatles" (White Album) near the top of any top n
list, primarily because of its diversity. The album lurches from singer
to singer, style to style, with each track barely related to the one
preceding it. Take the end of the album -- George's brass rock of "Savoy
Truffle," John's semi-introspective English "Cry Baby Cry," Paul's solo
'merican "Can You Take Me Back Where I Came From," then "Revolution #9,"
then the most traditional song on the album ("Goodnight," sung by Ringo).

If that isn't a great mix of music, I don't know what is. It's better than
the numbing sameness that infects most albums.

>I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
>filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
>Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
>Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
>was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.

Yes, it would be a stronger album, but much less interesting.

>Cheers,
>Lulu
>
>--
>"To the Idiotmobile!" - Jerry Seinfeld

--
With all of the people "going to Europe on the proceeds,"
you probably can't get a decent hotel room.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <6m2l6c$t04$1...@news1.sol.no>,
Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:

>Still I generally agree with you. A great album is supposed to be
>listened to as an entirety. They you can't just cut an act's
>albums into bits and pieces and put them on such lists as
>compilations.
>
>I still dislike the fact that "Legend" seems to be generally
>viewed as the best Bob Marley album ever. Yes, it is a great
>compilation, but the fact that it is should in itself exclude the
>album from being mentioned on "Best Ever" lists.

A lot depends upon whether the artist in question is an "album" artist,
with a clear evolution from album to album, or a "song" artist, who
simply throws songs on albums regardless of coherence. The obvious
examples are the roots bands -- you could probably throw all the George
Thorogood songs into a big bucket, pull out a random 10-12 songs, and
assemble an album that's pretty much like all his others. I'm not knocking
Thorogood -- I'm just saying that he's stylistically similar all the time.
(I could have used Sha Na Na as my example, instead of George.)

>Beatles,Beach Boys,Hollies,Byrds,Tamla Motown,Paul
>Simon,Genesis,Yes,Pink Floyd,10cc,Queen,ELO,Bob Marley,
>Marillion,Split Enz,Madness,XTC,Squeeze,Aztec Camera,
>Prefab Sprout,Scritti Politti,Gangway,Depeche Mode,
>Human League,OMD,Yazoo,Erasure,Cure,Prince,Lightning
>Seeds,Crowded House,Dodgy,Blur,Oasis,Radiohead,Kula
>Shaker,Supernaturals,Super Furry Animals,Orbital

On the same bill.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <Pine.A41.3.95b.98061...@dante08.u.washington.edu>,
J. Mcglinchey <joe...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Speaking of old ska bands, I was talking with someone at a party last
>Saturday, and he said that the band Madness (of "Our House" fame) was
>actually geared towards the skinhead/Neo-Nazi movement. I was completely
>unaware of this if it's true (he was talking pretty credibly). Can our
>British friends and/or knowledgeable ska-ites shed some light on this
>topic for us more oblivious folk?

I think they started on the Specials' label. If so, then "the Nutty Sound"
would be as politically correct as everything else emerging from there...

Nac

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:51:19 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom
Ewing) excreted the following amount of drivel:

>>> 61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...
>

>The best pop group ever, I sometimes think.

IMO, that's still the Beatles, but they're definitely up there.

>>> 89.TLC - CrazySexyCool
>>
>>As my old roommate used to say, "SaneSluttyTrendy."
>
>Your old roommate was quite the wit, I must say. Definitely deserves

>inclusion as head and shoulders the best swingbeat album ever.

If the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king....

"If this is state of the art, then the arts are in a poor state."

Geir Hongro

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Ewing) wrote:

>Further proof that UK men's magazine Deluxe is the best magazine in

>the world, their latest issue contained "The *Real* Top 100 Albums
>Ever". It's not perfect - they haven't managed to completely excise
>the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10) and there are a
>couple of records which I think are complete shit, but in general, if
>all the nicest people on a.m.a. (they know who they are) shared a flat
>together, this would be in the CD rack. The list, incidentally, is
>transparently the result of consensus and suggestion rather than poll,
>and all the better for it.

Well. I still think that any list without "Sgt. Pepper", "Revolver",
"Abbey Road", "The Beatles", "Rubber Sould", "Pet Sounds", "Forever
Changes", "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Wish You Were Here", What's Going
On?", "The Queen Is Dead", "Automatic For The People" or even "OK
Computer" on it could be taken seriously in this case.

I also think that compilations should be disqualified, but leaving
out those things I'll comment on the list.

>1.VARIOUS - Saturday Night Fever OST

A disco album on top of the list? Have they gone completely mad?

I actually think that Bee Gees have done some quite nice stuff
throughout their career- still their 1977 output should be forever
forgotten.

>2.THE SPECIALS - The Specials

Why a single album by this typical singles band. Nice album, but there
is no "Ghost Town" or "Stereotypes" (or even "Free Nelson Mandela") on
it, which means none of their best moments are present.

>3.BLONDIE - The Best Of Blondie

Never made a good album, any compilation by the band is quite good
though...

>4.WHAM! - The Final

Yes. OK. So they are underrated. Although there is some useless trash
on this one ("Edge Of Heaven", "Battlestations" and "Where Did Your
Heart Go" were all rubbish) it still contains some pop gems and it
shows that two pretty faces do not automatically bad pop music make.

By absolutely no means the most important group, let alone duo, in the
world (and by absolutely NO means the fourth best ever!!!!!!!). Still
better than rumour has it.

>5.COLDCUT - Journeys By DJ

I don't know this. From what I've heard Coldcut is not the worst
example of the house genre.

>6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
>7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
>8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
>9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4

I actually haven't heard these. Have an idea I'd like them though.

>10.NIRVANA - Nevermind

Definitely Great, save for some tracks.
...even though the producer was to make better albums with his own
band some years later.....

>11.STEREO MCs - Connected

Not THAT good.

>12.PET SHOP BOYS - Discography

They ARE a brilliant singles band. Their albums weren't really good
until the 90s, but as a singles band Pet Shop Boys were great already
from the start. A must have compilation!

>13.ABBA - Gold

They ARE underrated. No way to argue about this one except it's not
complete without "More ABBA Gold" being added.

>14.THE JUNGLE BROTHERS - Done By The Forces Of Nature

No.

>15.THE BEAT - I Just Can't Stop It

Always the most boring 80s ska band. Overrated.

>16.HAPPY MONDAYS - Loads

Overrated by far.

?

>18.AL GREEN - Al

Not THAT good, although his voice is great.

>19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising

Just to write one positive thing about a rap album: Their videos were
great :-)

>20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music

Is this the CD box set that was released about a year after the Marley
box set?

Never heard it - I generally dislike most pre-1970 reggae, while I
think some of the more recent reggae (particularly the 70s and early
80s stuff) is truly great.

>21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full

House meets rap on the title track. I can do without it - thank you!

>22.THE BUZZCOCKS - Operator's Manual

Is this the one with "Ever Fallen In Love"? It's the only song I've
heard by them, and it is my all-time favourite punk track.

>23.VARIOUS - Hip Hop Don't Stop

I hope it WILL!

>24.VARIOUS - Drum And Bass Selection Vol 2

What is even worse than "Best Of"s is compilations. They belong
nowhere here, as they are far too patchy and "bits and pieces".

>25.STAR WARS OST

This is getting more and more weird......

>26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes

I didn't even know this one existed. Probably good.

>27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix

A Kraftwerk compilation would have been great, but it would have had
to be the original recordings, and not some remix album. I generally
dislike the entire idea of remixing.

Should have been "Man Machine" instead.

>28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council

I actually don't think they have enough gems to fill a compilation.
Their two first albums were better than any single compilation.

>29.MADONNA - The Ultimate Collection

This is the compilation that should have been a double one. Without
tracks like "Oh Father", "Dear Jessie", "True Blue", "Angel", "Dress
You Up" and "The Gambler" this is by no means complete. If she'd
waited until, like, now she would have been able to make an excellent
double compilation CD crowded with single hits.

The "Like a Prayer" album is better anyway.

>30.SISTER SLEDGE - The Very Best Of 1973-93

Not the worst of disco. There is one compilation containing the
greatest hits of Chic AND Sister Sledge which is probably better
though.

>31.JEFF WAYNE - War Of The Worlds

I actually have the feeling I'd like this overblown and completely
pretentious "concept" movie soundtrack. :-)

>32.PET SHOP BOYS - Introspective

Boring. The mixes are bad, sounding too much like house music, and the
two or three great singles on this one sound better in the shorter
versions on the "Discography" compilation - making their own version
of "I Don't Care" the only reason for making this a worthy purchase.

>33.THE KLF - The White Room

A dance/techno classic. I'm trying to get this one, but it is
obviously deleted.

>34.VARIOUS - Disco Inferno

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>35.THE PRODIGY - Experience

Actually quite nice.

>36.VARIOUS - The House Sound Of London Vol.4

Getting tired of those patchy compilations. Besides I suppose this is
meant as a whole, not just Vol. 4.

>37.SLADE - Sladest

If this is a compilation then their 1991 compilation is probably
better since it contains more tracks.

>38.VARIOUS - The Sound Gallery

????????

>39.THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare

Finally a truly great one! A classic and one of the five best
"electronica" albums ever!

>40.APHRODITE - Aphrodite Recordings

???????

>41.IAN DURY - The Very Best Of

Probably good. But did he make enough great tracks to fill a
compilation?

>42.JOHN BARRY - Themology

Is this a collection of James Bond themes or something? Sounds a bit
boring to fill a whole album with those.......

>43.ADAM ANT - Hits

Overrated.

>44.JIMI HENDRIX - Experience

Probably belongs here, yes.

>45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

I've commented on this one before. A true classic of pop.

>46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of

Nice to see these guys mentioned. A deserved inclusion, although a lot
of the stuff on "Aja" was better than any of their hits.

>47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags

Is this the recent compilation of early stuff? He had his best period
by then - I still consider his voice a bit too....well.... do you use
the term "Harry" in English???

>48.RY COODER - Buena Vista Social Club

Never heard.

>49.DURAN DURAN - Decade

Underrated. Nice one, although some of their quite good 90s stuff is
naturally missing (and their 86-88 stuff was NOT good!)

>50.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - Greatest Hits

Average

>51.NEW ORDER - Technique

Why not a compilation in this case? By 1988 they were already starting
to lose it...

>52.AC/DC - Highway To Hell
>53.AC/DC - Back In Black

Those are Brian Johnson records, aren't they?

Well, in that case it's no use trying to belive they are listenable.

>54.THE TEMPTATIONS - Greatest Hits

Nothing to argue against, although other Motown acts were better.

>55.MICHAEL JACKSON - Off The Wall

"Thriller" and "Bad" were better.

>56.MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE JACKSON FIVE - The Best Of

Nice, but they didn't have enough good stuff to fill a perfect
compilation.

>57.EN VOGUE - Funky Divas

No.

>58.ELVIS PRESLEY - The Memphis Record

Good voice. Lack of writing ability. Overrated by far.

>59.MARVIN GAYE - The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye

The first ever good Gaye compilation. "What's Going On" is obviously
better though.

>60.THE BELOVED - Happiness

Not THAT good.

>61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...

A "Best of Girl Groups" would have been interesting, but none of them
had more than 2 or 3 great songs.

>62.VARIOUS - The Garage Sound Of Deepest New York

???

>63.VARIOUS - 80s Soul Weekender 2

Actually some nice stuff on this one, although I don't like the idea
of this kind of compilations in this list. The early 80s soul sound is
underrated.

>64.XTC - Fossil Fuel

YES!!!!!

Possibly the best album on the list, although it should have been
"Skylarking" instead.

>65.FRANK SINATRA - In The Wee Small Hours
>66.FRANK SINATRA - Come Fly With Me
>67.FRANK SINATRA - Songs For Swingin' Lovers

In this case a compilation would have been better, I suppose.

>68.DEPECHE MODE - Some Great Reward

Great, but "Construction Time Again" and "Black Celebration" were both
even better.

>69.MANFRED HUBLER AND SIEGFRIED SCHWAB - Vampyros Lesbos

Never heard of.

>70.THE MONKEES - Then And Now

They were great for an album or two, but not on a compilation.
Their earliest Tommy Boyce-written stuff is generally best, since it
sounds like the band they were supposed to sound like.

>71.QUEEN - Greatest Hits

Add number two and I agree. Would have been better sorted

>72.THE SMITHS - The World Won't Listen

"The Singles" is a better compilation.

>73. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths
>Of Rhythm

Nope.

>74.CHET BAKER - The Best Of Chet Baker Sings

Sings?

Actually the only things I've heard this guy is his trumpet solo on
Elvis Costello's "Shipbulding", which is great.

>75.ISAAC HAYES - Hot Buttered Soul

Is this where "Theme From Shaft" is taken from?

In that case: NOOOO!

>76.TUBEWAY ARMY - Replicas

He (Gary Numan) may have invented synthpop, but he never did it well.
Phil Oakey, Vince Clarke, Andy McCluskey, Martin Gore and Marc Almond
all know something about composing good pop tunes that Numan has never
had a clue about.

>77.VARIOUS - Wild, Cool And Swingin'

???????

>78.BURT BACHARACH - The Look Of Love, The Classic Songs Of

Possibly good.

>79.LARRY HEARD - Classic Fingers

???????

>80.GANG STARR - Step In The Arena

????

>81.VARIOUS - Help

Not this one anyway.
This also popped up on Select's best of the 90s list a couple of years
ago - I disagreed about its inclusion then too..

>82.CHEAP TRICK - Cheap Trick

A nice and underrated choice.

>83.KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie's Greatest Hits

Well...erm....

Belongs nowhere on the list. Still waiting for "The Hit Factory - the
PWL years" though :-)

>84.VARIOUS - The Best Of Blue Note

Not into jazz. I understand Blue Note is important anyway.

>85.BARRY WHITE - All-Time Greatest Hits

No.

>86.ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - The Very Best Of ELO

Wrong compilation. They released one this year that is a lot more
complete, containing absolutely all of their singles.

>87.THE FOUR TOPS - Greatest Hits

They had no more than five or six great tracks, but they were so great
they justify a compilation alone!

>88.MOTORHEAD - No Remorse

No.

>89.TLC - CrazySexyCool

No.

>90.VARIOUS - Essential Northern Soul

A pure Motown Compilation would have been better as they always made
the best Northern Soul.

>91.PARLIAMENT - The Best Of Parliament

Probably important for some - not for me.

>92.DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Too-Rye-Ay

Good album.

>93.JOHNNY CASH - At Fulsom Prison and San Quentin

Excuse me, but aren't those TWO separate albums?
Anyway I'm not into country music, so I'm not going to comment on
this/these one(s).

>94.BLACK SABBATH - We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll

No.

>95.SOFT CELL - Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing

Another remix album. "Non Stop Erotic Cabaret" was great though.

?

>97.VARIOUS - The Best Sixties Album In The World Ever II

This one I agree with, except I think number one is even better.
Whoever buys all three of these double CD compilations and also buy
Hot Rocks, the two double Beatles compilations, the new Dylan
compilation and the obligatory "Pet Sounds" have a rather good
collection of the best 60s music.

In fact: All in all I wholeheartedly declare that this excellent Box
Music series (including 70s, 80s, indie, reggae, techno, rap, dance,
"anthems", "drive music", 50s rock'n'roll, rock ballads, whatever) is
easily "The Best Compilation Series In the World...........Ever"

It seems that the people behind those compilations put some more work
into making some kind of historicaly view, getting the essensial
tracks, than most compilation people do (Polygram TVs "Number One
Album" series is also good though...)

>98.FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

Soundwise this is excellent. Don't like the way they composed their
tunes though....

>99.LLOYD COLE AND THE COMMOTIONS - Rattlesnakes

Probably should check out these further....

>100.VARIOUS - Blood And Fire Sampler: Heavyweight Soul

I doubt so...

Geir Hongro

Beatles,Beach Boys,Hollies,Byrds,Tamla Motown,Paul
Simon,Genesis,Yes,Pink Floyd,10cc,Queen,ELO,Bob Marley,
Marillion,Split Enz,Madness,XTC,Squeeze,Aztec Camera,
Prefab Sprout,Scritti Politti,Gangway,Depeche Mode,
Human League,OMD,Yazoo,Erasure,Cure,Prince,Lightning
Seeds,Crowded House,Dodgy,Blur,Oasis,Radiohead,Kula
Shaker,Supernaturals,Super Furry Animals,Orbital

mark bartlam

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:53:58 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom
Ewing) wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:06:58 GMT, fsol...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>>i *don't* think best-ofs should be included as it's unfair
>>to certain acts who've made perfectly good albums only to
>>be toppled by the best of one artists output.
>

>Nonsense.

I think "Best of" albums certainly should be included, but I don't
agree with some of the choices made in this list (as I've explained in
a couple of instances). You do have certain artists - Madness spring
to mind - who had a run of cracking singles but failed to make
consistently great albums. Don't forget that the concept of an album
as something more than just a collection of singles hasn't always been
with us.

This list does contain a disproportionate amount of "Best of" albums,
however.

> >> 11.STEREO MCs - Connected
>>don't own. should i?
>

>No .

Some good singles, but not a consistently good album IMO. If I had to
include them, I probably would have gone for "33 45 78", which is a
prime slice of British hip-hop.

>Though it does tell me that all the junior editorial staff on the
>mag were at University at the exact same time I was.

Which was probably the same time I did my first degree. The list
certainly does have a bias towards someone of my age (24). There are a
lot of "Best of" compilations, as Fred pointed out, which suggests
they're going for what they consider to be worthy artists (Marvin
Gaye, Sly Stone, Chet Baker, Burt Bacharach) without necessarily
knowing a great deal about their music.

>>> 16.HAPPY MONDAYS - Loads
>>i have double easy and it's great. love the
>>mondays.
>

>They fucked up here.

Should they have been included and, if so, with what release? "24 Hour
Party People"? "Bummed" (my own choice)? "Pills'n'Thrills..."?

>The version of Kinky Afro, their best song,

Since when? Sorry, but that honour goes to "Wrote For Luck" ;-)

>>> 20.VARIOUS - Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music
>>i like it, but i don't like lumping it all into this
>>one comp. plenty of great artists on here with great albums.
>

>This is true, plus it goes against the general "They're great...and
>they're cheap too!" ethos you can see on the list.

Like the "Blue Note" compilation, it smacks of tokenism. The
obligatory dub album, the obligatory jazz album...

>>> 26.AIR - Premieres Symptomes
>>never heard it but love 'moon safari'
>>to pieces. i've located a copy so i'll have
>>to pick it up. but, boy, would this pick
>>have been here 8 months ago? ;)
>

>Again, the inclusion of ridiculously new records speaks of delibrate
>piss-take of Q's "OK Computer is the best record ever" stance, or of
>the pub again.

A lot of this was cooked up in the pub, I suspect. Why else would
Kylie get in there?

>>> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
>>a terrible cd, but they should be represented.
>

>Terrible? Certainly not. I think it's excellent - a much more original
>and apt approach to the 'Best Of' concept than most people manage,

What, by remixing the originals? Kraftwerk, unlike most artists, have
a rich and varied back catalogue and it would have been nice to have a
definitive collection of original tracks. I don't mind the remixes as
such, but the project should have been left as a later indulgence.

>>> 50.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - Greatest Hits
>>*after* duran duran?! and no 'stand' or 'riot'?
>>though this is my favorite album of all-time, he
>>would've fared better with nme.
>

>Yeah, this should have been Top 10.

I have my doubts as to whether this list is in order. It seems highly
odd to have four Scott Walker albums and three Sinatra albums grouped
together.

I certainly agree that, were this list in order, the Sly and the
Family Stone compilation should rank very highly. I'm not sure if this
is a better choice than "There's A Riot Goin' On", but that's a
trivial argument IMO.

>>> 28.THE STYLE COUNCIL - The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council
>>and so high even!
>

>This one has set the cat among the pigeons. :)

It certainly has. I wouldn't have included it. I think the Jam would
have been a more populist choice (which may be what they were trying
to avoid) and one I would have supported. Everything Weller has done
since the days of The Jam has been horribly self indulgent.

>>> 35.THE PRODIGY - Experience
>>que?
>

>This positioning mirrors a.m.a and a.m.t. arguments passim. Their
>first ravey album which is either horrifically dated or the best thing
>they ever did, depending on who you talk to.

I called it dated. I still think it sounds dated, but hell... it's pop
music. It doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike the Prodigy's
later works.

J. Mcglinchey

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Geir Hongro wrote:

> >3.BLONDIE - The Best Of Blondie
>
> Never made a good album, any compilation by the band is quite good
> though...

PARALLEL LINES is a great album, no?

> >46.STEELY DAN - Remastered The Best Of
>
> Nice to see these guys mentioned. A deserved inclusion, although a lot
> of the stuff on "Aja" was better than any of their hits.

A lot of stuff on AJA receives constant airplay on classic rock stations,
at least in America. I've heard "Peg," "Black Cow," "Deacon Blues," and
the title track more times on FM radio then I thought was humanly
possible.

> >52.AC/DC - Highway To Hell
> >53.AC/DC - Back In Black
> Those are Brian Johnson records, aren't they?
> Well, in that case it's no use trying to belive they are listenable.

I thought Highway to Hell was Bon Scott (?).

Lulu

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <358514c1...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:55:30 -0400, Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net>
>wrote:

>>> - they haven't managed to completely excise
>>> the over-rated records that fur up these lists (No.10)

>>Good thing they didn't include those wildly overrated Beatles and Stones.

>>Soft Cell is just now being appreciated as an equal artistic force.

>The Soft Cell record they chose is more historically important than
>enjoyable, I'l admit. As for your other contention, I prefer "Non-Stop
>Erotic Cabaret" to any Beatles album, but see my other post for why
>Deluxe didnt include the Beatles.

So, anyway, to change gears a little, I finally found this magazine today.
You're right, it IS good, though I much prefer their 100 Biggest Morons
list to this one. Though they left out the biggest moron, ever (no points
to those who can guess my choice, I say it often enough). That Celine Dion
quote about how she doesn't read cos she 'doesn't have enough room in
[her] head' is brilliant.

>>> 21.ERIC B AND RAKIM - Paid In Full

>Rakim is important and top-quality, too: in terms of lyrical
>complexity and advancing rapping style, he's probably more important
>than Chuck D.

I would like to say that I like Rakim. That is all.

Cheers,
Lulu

--
"I've just stepped in a big PILE of sassy!" - Phil Hartman

Lulu

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article
<Pine.A41.3.95b.98061...@dante40.u.washington.edu>, "J.
Mcglinchey" <joe...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>On 15 Jun 1998, Kris Srinivasan wrote:
>> inexcusable. The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
>> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).
>The Monkees made some absolutely great music. I was listening to
>"More of the Monkees" and "Pisces Aquarius etc." just last night, and
>remembering how terrific a lot of their songs really were. "Love is Only
>Sleeping" is a magnificent cut, and were it not for the obviously
>non-British vocals, sounds like something that would have fit just fine on
>Revolver or Piper at the Gates of Dawn. The songs generally have some
>nice arrangement work on them, too, and cover a lot of ground.
>"Sometime in the Morning" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow" are gorgeous
>pop tunes, whereas "What Am I Doing Hanging Round" is some decent country
>rock (if you believe there can be such a thing, which I certainly do).
>And how about "Magnolia Simms," with the surface noise and the entire
>track placed in one channel?

And really, when it all comes down to it, Daydream Believer IS a good song.

Lulu

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <3585abed...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>Cultural Artefact Of The Moment: Plus-Size Women's Clothing Shops.
>Unbearably defeatist - everything from the pastel colours to the
>oh-so-softly-played adult-oriented pop screams "You'll never be trendy
>or attractive, girls, but at least you'll be TASTEFUL!" With friends
>like these.....

Yes, and its counterpart the petite store (all clothing that looks like
it'd look real cute -- on a 12 year old at a Backstreet Boys gig) is
equally disgusting. However, what I want to know is where is the 'regular
size person' store. With all the bitching about how there's no clothing
for big women *or* tiny women and how women who are sizes 6 - 9 aren't
'real women', the rest of us get fucked over. I haven't been able to buy
properly sized clothes in ages. I mean, yeah, I can buy a generic size
'S', but that only comes in certain styles of sundresses and shirts. I'm
totally screwed if I want a pair of jeans.

I would like a shop where they have nice, trendy styles of clothing in
*all* sizes and lengths, all put together. No little girl clothes for
short women. No pastel prints and tank clothing for bigger women. And,
goddamnit, jeans that are longer than 32 inseam!

Gondola Bob

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <35858f16....@news.online.no>, geir...@online.no (Geir
Hongro) wrote:

> >10.NIRVANA - Nevermind
>
> Definitely Great, save for some tracks.
> ...even though the producer was to make better albums with his own
> band some years later.....

Oof. Wake me when Garbage breaks up, please.

> >58.ELVIS PRESLEY - The Memphis Record
>
> Good voice. Lack of writing ability. Overrated by far.

Yeah, yeah.

Eb

Lulu

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <3585b1c9...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:06:58 GMT, fsol...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>>i *don't* think best-ofs should be included as it's unfair
>>to certain acts who've made perfectly good albums only to
>>be toppled by the best of one artists output.

>Nonsense. They should have a) made better albums, and b) had a
>cracking best of, of their own.

And, of course, there is the flip side of this: why is it unfair to knock
out perfectly good *albums* acts, but it's fair to knock out perfectly
good *singles* acts because one has a good album that was meant as an
'official' album, and the other has a good album that is meant to make it
easier to get their singles all in one stellar place. A best of is still
an album.

>>> 13.ABBA - Gold
>>not big on abba. i have yet to buy into the critical reassessment. sorry
>>elvis!

>Elvis??

Yeah, you know. White jumpsuit, black hair, birruva tummy, snarly lip. You
might've heard of him. Nothing to do with ABBA, though.

>>> 51.NEW ORDER - Technique
>>substance is better.

>No it's not . Substance is good, but there's that mostly boring series
>of singles they did after Blue Monday and before Bizarre Love Triangle

Sometimes I think Bizarre Love Triangle is the best song ever. Then the
next song comes on the compilation, and I change my mind.

>>> 29.MADONNA - The Ultimate Collection

Can I please just point out that this is NOT called 'the Ultimate
Collection'. To my knowledge, no such CD *exists*. Immaculate Collection.
Immaculate Collection.

Lulu

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <3585c347...@nntp.netcruiser>, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>No, no r would I, really - I was just getting into the spirit of the
>thing. I think it's a *lot* less laddish and more intelligent than any
>other men's magazine (or any glossy women's magazine for that matter),

You should read JANE, if they import it that way. You'd have to put up
with reading a women's mag, obviously, but it's definitely one of the
better ones around IMO. If just for the fact that they labelled a photo of
Jewel 'skanky coffeehouse wench' and hate Lilith Fair 'rock' as much as I
do. And they put Pammy Anderson on the cover of this month's issue, which
impresses me. It'll get the predictible response from 'feminists' and
their sensitive boyfriends: She's a whore! She's degrading! She's
exploited! So on and so forth. I really think I'll get a subscription to
it. It's only in its fourth or fifth issue, and already, I identify with
its method of trying to piss people off.

Tom Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:25:38 -0700, bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu)
wrote:

>So, anyway, to change gears a little, I finally found this magazine today.
>You're right, it IS good, though I much prefer their 100 Biggest Morons
>list to this one.

Yes, well, me too - a great lead article, whereas this was basically a
knock-off. However, in no possible senses of the words 'music' and
'alternative' would posting the morons list have been on-topic. :)

Cheers,
Tom.

Tom Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:59:44 GMT, fsol...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>well, yeah. this list got me quite worked up really probably due to the
>fact that you put your seal of approval on it, so i had to put it
>under the microscope.

Yes, well just wait until you see a list where I genuinely endorse all
of it. :)

> if this was done over a few drinks, i'd feel
>a bti foolish. i just can't get the image of the seriousness with which
>these polls are usually done. my fault, really.
>
>if i were to list my favorite albums or 'desert island discs', you
>can bet that there'd be a number of best ofs in there. however,
>when endeavoring to compile a 'best albums' list, trying to list the
>greatest single achievement by one artist at one point in time

We may not agree, but I will just point out that nowhere in the rubric
is this 'greatest single achievement by one artist at one point in
time' thing mentioned. Basically it boils down to more of my
subjectivism/solipsism. I look at *everything* from a listener's and
consumer's p.o.v., so I think listing any record that I-the-listener
can actually buy is fair game. The artists exist purely for my
pleasure. :)

>> hmmm ye not, this is terrific. The best mixtape you can buy.
>>
>this was really an obscure 'hmmm.' i was thinking about its
>position. it is really great. i would've liked this list
>so much better if it was alphabetical. are they explicit about
>it being a hierarchical top 100?

I don't think they care one way or the other. The SNF s/track and the
Specials got a little box each, though, so I suppose it was.

>> by 4 he's losing it a bit, 'Boy
>> Child' notwithstanding. Speaking of 'Boy Child', that particular Best
>> Of would have been better.
>>
>much better than "it's raining today."

That's a terrific song.

>> >not big on abba. i have yet to buy
>> >into the critical reassessment. sorry
>> >elvis!
>>

>> Elvis??
>>
>costello who is apparently president of their
>fan club or, at the least, some other high-
>ranking official.

Yes, I remember now, clawing back a bit of pop cred. :)

>> Again, the inclusion of ridiculously new records speaks of delibrate
>> piss-take of Q's "OK Computer is the best record ever" stance, or of

>> the pub again. There's a track from this on your new tape.
>>
>which i'm ancticpating coming today as i've heard that lulu
>has hers.

Mike hasn't got his, though, as I kept it back until I had something
else to send him. But let the cross-posted e-mails begin, anyway.

>> Yeah, this should have been Top 10. "Dance To The Music" would be the
>> best single ever made if it wasn't so fucking short (see also: most of
>> Sly's best singles. God almighty man, you're running the best pop-funk
>> band of all time! Going over THREE MINUTES can't be too much to ask
>> for!).
>well, you're dealing with the constraints of the 45 here, i think.

45s weren't limited to three minutes by 1967. Just another 60 seconds
is what I'd like - it seems such a shame that the record has to end
just as Sly's got around to introducing all the instruments. :)

>> ATCQ are massive in Britain for some reason. With people who care
>> about rap , that is. I've never sat down and listened to a
>> full-length.
>>
>is this true? now i might have to do that rap tape i've spoken
>of. you owe it to yourself to own "low end theory."

Something I should ask you is: what do you think of the Jungle
Brothers' "J Beez Wit Da Remedy"?

>> Is there anything from "Lovesexy" even on it?
>"alphabet street." that album is one of my faves, really.
>the last time he wrote on his own terms and wasn't trying
>to concede to the mainstream.

But "Glam Slam" is missing - you see what I mean? Of course best of's
are difficult to compile, but sticking to singles seems like a good
idea to me. "Lovesexy" is the last Prince album I think is really good
- a very consensus opinion and I know Persi for one disagrees, but
there you are.

Cheers,
Tom.
np: Eggs - Government Administrator. Classic single, and oh so true.

Tom Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:34:03 GMT, mgb...@yahoo.com (mark bartlam)
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:53:58 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom
>Ewing) wrote:
>
>I think "Best of" albums certainly should be included, but I don't
>agree with some of the choices made in this list (as I've explained in
>a couple of instances). You do have certain artists - Madness spring
>to mind - who had a run of cracking singles but failed to make
>consistently great albums. Don't forget that the concept of an album
>as something more than just a collection of singles hasn't always been
>with us.

Though even when it wasn't, a lot of good albums got made. For every
duff Motown LP packed with atrocious filler, there's something like
the first couple of Byrds records or "Shangri-La's 65".

>>>i have double easy and it's great. love the
>>>mondays.
>>

>>They fucked up here.
>
>Should they have been included and, if so, with what release? "24 Hour
>Party People"? "Bummed" (my own choice)? "Pills'n'Thrills..."?

"Pills'n'Thrills", for me.

>>The version of Kinky Afro, their best song,
>
>Since when? Sorry, but that honour goes to "Wrote For Luck" ;-)

Since I said so. :) I love 'Kinky Afro' - the Mondays at their most
imaginatively pop, a fantastic Labelle steal, excellent lyrics and
without compromising the essential griminess of the band (which their
other big hit, Step On, did, I reckon). "Wrote For Luck" is excellent,
mind you. It was the first thing I ever bought by the Mondays and my
7" was incredibly scratchy and jumpy: it sounded, in retrospect, like
Oval. I thought they were a lot more avant-garde than they actually
were. :)

>>>i like it, but i don't like lumping it all into this
>>>one comp. plenty of great artists on here with great albums.
>>

>>This is true, plus it goes against the general "They're great...and
>>they're cheap too!" ethos you can see on the list.
>
>Like the "Blue Note" compilation, it smacks of tokenism. The
>obligatory dub album, the obligatory jazz album...

Yes, except there is another dub album on the list, and this one goes
further than just dub.

>>>a terrible cd, but they should be represented.
>>

>>Terrible? Certainly not. I think it's excellent - a much more original
>>and apt approach to the 'Best Of' concept than most people manage,
>
>What, by remixing the originals? Kraftwerk, unlike most artists, have
>a rich and varied back catalogue and it would have been nice to have a
>definitive collection of original tracks. I don't mind the remixes as
>such, but the project should have been left as a later indulgence.

No, you have a point here, I'll grant you. They should have put out
two versions. Though given Hutter's obsessive tinkering, he probably
saw 'The Mix' not as a remix project, but as a chance to improve on
the originals, which in a couple of places I think he did.

>I have my doubts as to whether this list is in order. It seems highly
>odd to have four Scott Walker albums and three Sinatra albums grouped
>together.

I'm positive it wasn't voted for, as I said when I posted it.

>>>and so high even!
>>

>>This one has set the cat among the pigeons. :)
>
>It certainly has. I wouldn't have included it. I think the Jam would
>have been a more populist choice (which may be what they were trying
>to avoid) and one I would have supported. Everything Weller has done
>since the days of The Jam has been horribly self indulgent.

Though the albums sank into a mire of self-importance, the first half
dozen or so Style Council singles are as good as the 'classic' Jam
sides, I reckon. But then I never much liked the Jam, singles aside.

Cheers,
Tom.
np: The Auteurs - Showgirl. Ah, memories...

Tom Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On 16 Jun 1998 00:20:20 GMT, cow...@NOSPAN.ix.netcom.com (Persi)
wrote:

>>>33.THE KLF - The White Room
>>
>>A dance/techno classic. I'm trying to get this one, but it is
>>obviously deleted.
>

>Wow! Geir actually talking about a dance/techno classic? One that he likes,
>on top of that? This is getting scary.

Geir likes dance music, he just hates the idea of liking dance music.
Pity he's chosen this particular record to lavish praise on, though.

>>>40.APHRODITE - Aphrodite Recordings
>>
>>???????
>

>Jungle, mate! Some of the finest on the planet, to boot.

A great pity it doesn't include "Badd Ass", but maybe they hadn't
written it then. Jungle chronology is tough. Do try to get hold of
some of his earler stuff, Persi - "Bomber" is a classic tune.

>>>75.ISAAC HAYES - Hot Buttered Soul
>>
>>Is this where "Theme From Shaft" is taken from?
>>
>>In that case: NOOOO!
>

>Why? It's pretty melodic and very soulful. It's a crime to not like Hot
>Buttered Soul. It's almost blasphemous.

Honestly, Geir, you'd like at least half of it.

Cheers,
Tom.
np: Kraftwerk - Tour De France. "The story of a love affair between a
man and his bicycle", to quote the back cover blurb of a Flann O'Brien
novel.

Tom Ewing

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:28:35 -0700, bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu)
wrote:

>>>43.ADAM ANT - Hits
>>Overrated.
>

>Sometimes I think Goody Two Shoes is the best song of the 80s.

Certainly the Friend Or Foe album is terrific, though I prefer the
title track.

>>>47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags
>>Is this the recent compilation of early stuff? He had his best period
>>by then - I still consider his voice a bit too....well.... do you use
>>the term "Harry" in English???
>

>No, but I know what you mean :)

At some point I'm going to have to make a Drunk Blokes compilation
tape. Lots of Harry action there, I'd guess.

>>>61.THE SHANGRI-LAS - Best Of...
>>A "Best of Girl Groups" would have been interesting, but none of them
>>had more than 2 or 3 great songs.
>

>I'm trying to decide if I should let Tom beat you, or if I should do it.
>Either way, you are getting the stick, young man.

I'm trying to think of a famous girl group that *didn't* have more
than 2 or 3 great songs. Possibly the Shirelles, but that's just
because I don't like her voice.

>>>75.ISAAC HAYES - Hot Buttered Soul
>>Is this where "Theme From Shaft" is taken from?
>>In that case: NOOOO!
>

>I like that. Just the way you said 'nooo', purely on the Shaft basis.

Which isn't even on there!

Cheers,
Tom.

Nac

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 03:24:38 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom

Ewing) excreted the following amount of drivel:

>>> Yeah, this should have been Top 10. "Dance To The Music" would be the
>>> best single ever made if it wasn't so fucking short (see also: most of
>>> Sly's best singles. God almighty man, you're running the best pop-funk
>>> band of all time! Going over THREE MINUTES can't be too much to ask
>>> for!).
>>well, you're dealing with the constraints of the 45 here, i think.
>
>45s weren't limited to three minutes by 1967. Just another 60 seconds
>is what I'd like - it seems such a shame that the record has to end
>just as Sly's got around to introducing all the instruments. :)

Dance To The Music surely could benefit from being prolonged for
another minute or so. Yet songs like I Wanna Take You Higher are
exactly long enuff, whereas Stand's brevity isd in fact a big asset.
Make it a five-minute jam and the song wouldn't be half as good as it
is.

>>> Is there anything from "Lovesexy" even on it?
>>"alphabet street." that album is one of my faves, really.
>>the last time he wrote on his own terms and wasn't trying
>>to concede to the mainstream.
>
>But "Glam Slam" is missing - you see what I mean? Of course best of's
>are difficult to compile, but sticking to singles seems like a good
>idea to me. "Lovesexy" is the last Prince album I think is really good
>- a very consensus opinion and I know Persi for one disagrees, but
>there you are.

Is everyone's Lovesexy consisting of one track only? I bought it
second hand recently, coz I had to DJ at a party of which I knew the
audience was gonna go for a lot of funk etc. I wanted to play Alphabet
St. but since the disc contained only one track, I didn't have the
time to find the track. Darn!

I rather like Gold Experience too, that's when he really came back to
form for once more. Although there's a couple of really good songs
from those sessions floating around on bootlegs that dodn't make it to
that album, alas. Why not, btw? What happened to them?

Tom Madigan

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Lulu wrote:

> >Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
> >*albums* as we know them.

> I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
> filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
> Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
> Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
> was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.

Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul? Sgt. Pepper has always
been overrated, but again, we're not arguing good songs vs. bad songs, we're
arguing building an album and establishing interior logic. Rubber Soul does that
dozens of times over.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Tom Madigan

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Tom Ewing wrote:

> Here's where I run into problems. If these were just the records you
> personally didn't like, fair enough, but I think several of these
> would have a decent chance in any 'historical' Top 100.

I included all the best-ofs just because it was my point. I like the Congos,
Kraftwerk, Steely Dan, Rod Stewart (pre-sellout *evil grin*), Shangri-Las, et
al, as personal taste and as aesthetically important. Just no best-ofs,
please. (Well, in retrospect the Shangri-Las would have to be represented via
best-of.) Eric B/Rakim might veer more towards personal taste, I'll grant
you. Ry Cooder isn't what I'd consider top-100 material, though I like Social
Club.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Kris Srinivasan

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Persi (cow...@NOSPAN.ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: >>19.DE LA SOUL - Three Feet High And Rising

: >
: >Just to write one positive thing about a rap album: Their videos were
: >great :-)
:
: Again, probably never heard it. Easily one of the top5 hip-hop records of the
: 80's and one of the top records of all time, period. It's a classic among
: hip-hop fans.
:

It's even more of a classic among non hip-hop fans. The next two albums
are better.

Kris.

Persi

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

In article <6m7lkv$310$2...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, ez05...@catbert.ucdavis.edu
says...

>: Again, probably never heard it. Easily one of the top5 hip-hop records of
the
>: 80's and one of the top records of all time, period. It's a classic among
>: hip-hop fans.
>:
>
>It's even more of a classic among non hip-hop fans. The next two albums
>are better.

In don't know. I have all of their albums and as much as De La Soul Is Dead
comes close, Three Feet High will always be my favorite just cause it blew me
away when I first heard it and still sounds as good as the first time I heard
it. I wasn't too keen on Baloon Mindstate (sp?), which was quite boring and
Stakes Is High was marginally better. Like Tribe, they have really gone down
hill since the first few records (I hear the new Tribe album isn't very
good...kinda makes you wonder why it gets pushed back every month....now set
for a mid August release).

--
In My CD Changer/Stereo:

Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
Panasonic - Kulma
Tidersticks - Marks Moods

fred

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

Tom Ewing wrote in message <35872cf7...@nntp.netcruiser>...

>Yes, well just wait until you see a list where I genuinely endorse all
>of it. :)

well, i'll hvae to break out the white glove then. ;)

>We may not agree, but I will just point out that nowhere in the rubric
>is this 'greatest single achievement by one artist at one point in
>time' thing mentioned. Basically it boils down to more of my
>subjectivism/solipsism. I look at *everything* from a listener's and
>consumer's p.o.v., so I think listing any record that I-the-listener
>can actually buy is fair game. The artists exist purely for my
>pleasure. :)

whereas i'm a bit torn. i look at things as both a consumer and an
'artiste.' a bit foolishly with the latter since it's not paying any bills
and the former is certainly racking them up. ;)

>>much better than "it's raining today."
>
>That's a terrific song.

well, yes. but merely a good compilation.

>Mike hasn't got his, though, as I kept it back until I had something
>else to send him. But let the cross-posted e-mails begin, anyway.

it will shortly. like i said in another post, i already have an opinion
on every track (bar joy division. big surprise, eh? ;))

>45s weren't limited to three minutes by 1967. Just another 60 seconds
>is what I'd like - it seems such a shame that the record has to end
>just as Sly's got around to introducing all the instruments. :)

that's all it was intended to be, really. it served as an intro to the show
and
let you in on their band philosophy. it just happened to become a hit
along the way. larry, on the other hand, wrote a song for the same purpose
for graham central station. that one became "the jam" and is over seven
minutes long. but believe me, the title is most accurate. :)

>Something I should ask you is: what do you think of the Jungle
>Brothers' "J Beez Wit Da Remedy"?

don't own it. my roommate did and i remember that neither of
us were particularly impressed. "40 below trooper" was a great
single though.

>But "Glam Slam" is missing - you see what I mean? Of course best of's
>are difficult to compile, but sticking to singles seems like a good
>idea to me.

well, then "adore" wouldn't have been on there. never a single, but to
this day it gets a fair amount of play on r&b radio. every thing on there
was a single though, so how do you make more room? you could've
dropped "pope" afaic. "pink cashmere" is still one of my favorite
prince tunes though.

> "Lovesexy" is the last Prince album I think is really good
>- a very consensus opinion and I know Persi for one disagrees, but
>there you are.

i'd disagree too. he's had some very good albums since then, but "lovesexy"
was the last time he really played by his own rules. take "eye no" for one.
who else was making music like that at the time? since then, he's resigned
himself to sticking to what's being played on the top 40 stations, all the
while
disclaiming any concerns for "commercial" success.

"graffiti bridge" is sorely underrated, "batman" is, well the soundtrack to
a movie
starring the dc comics character 'batman' ;), "diamonds & pearls" is his
worst, imo, "O(+>" was a great comeback, "come" is underrated as well, "the
gold
experience" is possibly one of his three greatest albums, "chaos & disorder"
is
well, just that, and "emancipation" contains a wealth of great material.

peace...fred

Tom Madigan

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Kris Srinivasan wrote:

> : I'm

> : congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
> : Stones.
>

> Gene therapy is on the horizon; there's hope for you yet grandpa.

I'm 23. There are several of us who enjoy good music regardless of era.

Anyway, I don't like "old before your time" music like Dave Mathews.

> The only reason this list is any better than any of the others is because
> it does include best-ofs.

No.

> The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).

Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented white-out?

> Is this a gay men's mag? There's a lot of campy junk in that list.

So what are you saying -- if you like the Monkees you're gay?

> And Nevermind really is a pretty great album.

It's a pretty good approximation, sure.

> Kris.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Geir Hongro

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu) wrote:

>>> I was thinking the same thing, yet somehow I think our tones would be
>>> wholly different in saying it...
>>Well, I *am* an asshole ;)
>
>Tell me about it! Sheesh! Some people!
>
>>No, I should have been more tactful, but I'm

>>congenitally unable to let lie a top 100 albums list with no Beatles or
>>Stones.
>
>Well, here's my take on it. A decent Beatles' compilation should be top 50
>in any list, cos they did have great songs. But albums? Their best (like
>an album or two) prolly wouldn't come 'til the very depths of the top 100
>if I was writing it, if at all. So I can understand leaving them off
>completely, if it's a subjective list and not an 'influence' sort of list.
>
>>> Asshole. Does that keep you happy?
>>I feel more at peace.
>
>I only aimed to please. Really.
>
>[snip of albums v. compilations cos there's no way in hell we're gonna agree]
>
>>> I mean, I'd
>>> sooner listen to a Beatles compilation than ANY of their albums.

>>Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
>>*albums* as we know them.
>
>I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
>filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
>Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
>Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
>was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.

Apart from The White Album I'd say any pre-"Help!" Beatles album
had no fillers had all - possibly with the exception of the two
Ringo Starr compositions released towards the end of their
career, "Octopus's Garden" had some kind of charm though....

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <6maidv$f99$2...@news1.sol.no>,
Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:

>Apart from The White Album I'd say any pre-"Help!" Beatles album
>had no fillers had all - possibly with the exception of the two
>Ringo Starr compositions released towards the end of their
>career, "Octopus's Garden" had some kind of charm though....

"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."

Geir Hongro

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:

>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."

Remember that the two latter songs were composed by other
ex-members of The Beatles, not by Ringo himself.

mark bartlam

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

On 15 Jun 1998 08:29:07 GMT, cow...@NOSPAN.ix.netcom.com (Persi)
wrote:

>I was glad to see the Coldcut JDJ mix CD was so high. It's probably the best mix I've ever
>heard. Everything about it is flawless.

Have you heard the Andy Smith mix CD I mentioned a some time ago? It's
nowhere near as eclectic as the Coldcut disc but it's still a nice,
refreshing blend of soul (Marvin Gaye, Peggy Lee), hip-hop (the Jungle
Brothers, Grandmaster Flash)... and Tom Jones. Andy Smith is
Portishead's warm-up DJ incidentally... that should give you some idea
of the vibe on this album.

[np: Wagon Christ - "The Power Of Love"]

--markŽ

--
}---------{mark bartlam}---------{

Š 1998. All rights reserved.

Lulu

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <6mbo7l$6vo$5...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>In article <6maidv$f99$2...@news1.sol.no>,
>Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:
>>Apart from The White Album I'd say any pre-"Help!" Beatles album
>>had no fillers had all - possibly with the exception of the two
>>Ringo Starr compositions released towards the end of their
>>career, "Octopus's Garden" had some kind of charm though....

>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."

What the hell is up with that? He did some really good pop music after he
left the Beatles, but the stuff he did *with* the band was rubbish to the
first degree. Nonsensical. I blame Paul.

Cheers,
Lulu

PS Geir, 'post', not 'pre'. Double check these things in the future.

Lulu

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <6mbsr5$6i6$1...@news1.sol.no>, Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:

>jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:

>>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."

>Remember that the two latter songs were composed by other
>ex-members of The Beatles, not by Ringo himself.

BZZT! Try again, from my 'Ringo' album:
Photograph (R.Starkey).

And I'm almost 100% sure that It Don't Come Easy isn't by any of the
Beatles, but I can't find my 45 so I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Lulu

J. Mcglinchey

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Lulu wrote:

> And I'm almost 100% sure that It Don't Come Easy isn't by any of the
> Beatles, but I can't find my 45 so I'm not sure.

I've always thought it sounded highly reminiscent of "Let It Rain" by Eric
Clapton.

Gondola Bob

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96a.98061...@dante32.u.washington.edu>, "J.
Mcglinchey" <joe...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

Yes! I've thought the same.

Eb

Lulu

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

<geir...@online.no> wrote:
>>>Remember that the two latter songs were composed by other
>>>ex-members of The Beatles, not by Ringo himself.
>>BZZT! Try again, from my 'Ringo' album:
>>Photograph (R.Starkey).

>>And I'm almost 100% sure that It Don't Come Easy isn't by any of the
>>Beatles, but I can't find my 45 so I'm not sure.

>According to BMI's database:
>IT DON T COME EASY BMI Work # 000736065
> Writers Current Affil. CAE #
> STARKEY RICHARD PRS 29470380

Ahhh. Do you know why I thought he didn't write it? I have heard covers of
it. I assumed his version was a cover :)

Tom Madigan

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Nac wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:14:37 -0400, Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net>

> excreted the following amount of drivel:
>

> >> The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
> >> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).
> >
> >Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented white-out?
>

> I thought she invented Post-It's

Nope. Probably doesn't matter, though.

-- Tom

+=+=+=+=+=+=+http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/7074/HNH.htm

Lulu

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <6mctph$31r$5...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>In article <bitchyspice-18...@ip-81-99.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,

>Lulu <bitch...@mtv.com> wrote:
>>In article <6mcb2t$j8f$6...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>>>According to BMI's database:
>>>IT DON T COME EASY BMI Work # 000736065
>>> Writers Current Affil. CAE #
>>> STARKEY RICHARD PRS 29470380
>>Ahhh. Do you know why I thought he didn't write it? I have heard covers of
>>it. I assumed his version was a cover :)

>Whose cover did you hear?

I don't actually know. All I know is I've heard a version by a girl, and a
version by a man that definitely wasn't Ringo. Ringo has a pretty distinct
voice :)

I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
McCartney and Harrison.

Nac

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:14:37 -0400, Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net>
excreted the following amount of drivel:

>> The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
>> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).
>
>Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented white-out?

I thought she invented Post-It's

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <6mbsr5$6i6$1...@news1.sol.no>,
Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:
>jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:
>
>>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."
>
>Remember that the two latter songs were composed by other
>ex-members of The Beatles, not by Ringo himself.

I thought that "It Don't Come Easy" was written by Ringo, and it
turns out I was right. See

http://www.bmi.com/cgi-bin/cwricat?PageDn.STARKEY+RICHARD.000327773.0000.I+M+YOURS.1

For the record, Starkey is listed as a co-writer of "Photograph" (with
George Harrison). Then again, Linda is listed as a co-writer of much
of Paul's stuff, so who's to say?

Both "It don't Come Easy" and "Photograph" were BMI award winning songs.
Don't know the criteria, though...

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
>In article <6mbsr5$6i6$1...@news1.sol.no>, Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:
>
>>jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:
>>>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>>>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."
>>Remember that the two latter songs were composed by other
>>ex-members of The Beatles, not by Ringo himself.
>
>BZZT! Try again, from my 'Ringo' album:
>Photograph (R.Starkey).
>
>And I'm almost 100% sure that It Don't Come Easy isn't by any of the
>Beatles, but I can't find my 45 so I'm not sure.

According to BMI's database:

IT DON T COME EASY BMI Work # 000736065
Writers Current Affil. CAE #
STARKEY RICHARD PRS 29470380

Publishers Current Affil. CAE #
WARNER-TAMERLANE PUBLISHING CO BMI 185314175

PHOTOGRAPH BMI Work # 001170391

Writers Current Affil. CAE #

HARRISON GEORGE PRS 13482508
STARKEY RICHARD PRS 29470380
Publishers Current Affil. CAE #
WARNER-TAMERLANE PUBLISHING CO BMI 185314175

You can get to these via

http://www.bmi.com/cgi-bin/cwricat?PageDn.STARKEY+RICHARD.000327773.0000.I+M+YOURS.1

>Cheers,
>Lulu
>
>--
>"To the Idiotmobile!" - Jerry Seinfeld

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Lulu <bitch...@duh.com> wrote:
>In article <6mbo7l$6vo$5...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>
>>In article <6maidv$f99$2...@news1.sol.no>,

>>Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:
>>>Apart from The White Album I'd say any pre-"Help!" Beatles album
>>>had no fillers had all - possibly with the exception of the two
>>>Ringo Starr compositions released towards the end of their
>>>career, "Octopus's Garden" had some kind of charm though....
>>"Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden" are disappointing, especially
>>when compared against "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."
>
>What the hell is up with that? He did some really good pop music after he
>left the Beatles, but the stuff he did *with* the band was rubbish to the
>first degree. Nonsensical. I blame Paul.

I blame George. Here's my reasoning: John and Paul thought of the other
two as sidemen, allowing them a bone here and there in the early days.
(Remember "What Goes On"?) George slowly carved out his little niche, until
he got to the point where his allotment on Abbey Road was on par with
everything else the Beatles had done. However, this also shut Ringo out
(or limited him to one song per album, provided the album was not associated
with a film and was recorded after Brian Epstein's death).

On second thought, I blame Bert Weedon...

>Cheers,
>Lulu
>
>PS Geir, 'post', not 'pre'. Double check these things in the future.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <bitchyspice-18...@ip-81-99.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
Lulu <bitch...@mtv.com> wrote:>>>In article <6mbsr5$6i6$1...@news1.sol.no>, Geir Hongro

>>>BZZT! Try again, from my 'Ringo' album:
>>>Photograph (R.Starkey).
>>>And I'm almost 100% sure that It Don't Come Easy isn't by any of the
>>>Beatles, but I can't find my 45 so I'm not sure.
>>According to BMI's database:
>>IT DON T COME EASY BMI Work # 000736065
>> Writers Current Affil. CAE #
>> STARKEY RICHARD PRS 29470380
>
>Ahhh. Do you know why I thought he didn't write it? I have heard covers of
>it. I assumed his version was a cover :)
>
>Cheers,
>Lulu

>--
>"To the Idiotmobile!" - Jerry Seinfeld

Whose cover did you hear? The only one I've heard is the 7 Eleven
commercial...

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <bitchyspice-18...@ip-81-217.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
Lulu <bitch...@mtv.com> wrote:

>In article <6mctph$31r$5...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>
>>In article <bitchyspice-18...@ip-81-99.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
>>Lulu <bitch...@mtv.com> wrote:
>>>Ahhh. Do you know why I thought he didn't write it? I have heard covers of
>>>it. I assumed his version was a cover :)
>>Whose cover did you hear?
>
>I don't actually know. All I know is I've heard a version by a girl, and a
>version by a man that definitely wasn't Ringo. Ringo has a pretty distinct
>voice :)
>
>I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
>McCartney and Harrison.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me (I remember discovering that one of the guys
in Wings used to be in some band called the Beatles), but I think that
Paul could probably put out a pretty decent best of. Just off the top
of my head: Jet, Big Barn Red, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (a
personal favorite), Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars/
Rock Show, With A Little Luck, Coming Up (I prefer the solo version to
the live version, specifically because of its tinny nature)...and there's
a bunch more.

fred

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Lulu wrote in message ...

>I don't actually know. All I know is I've heard a version by a girl, and a
>version by a man that definitely wasn't Ringo. Ringo has a pretty distinct
>voice :)

yep, it is a ringo tune. badfinger backed him on it. it can be heard in
the simpson's episode in which he guest-starred where a trip into
the simpson attic reveals marge's crush on a young ringo and also
shows her to be an artist of great merit.

>I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
>McCartney and Harrison.

replace 'mccartney' with 'lennon' and i'd agree with you. talk about
overrated! and you just don't like mccartney because he's threatened
to drown your friends. :P

happy belated birthday, sir paul! :) :)

peace...fred
(np: rod stewart, "gasoline alley")

Lulu

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <6md230$6cd$2...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>I dunno. Maybe it's just me (I remember discovering that one of the guys
>in Wings used to be in some band called the Beatles), but I think that
>Paul could probably put out a pretty decent best of. Just off the top
>of my head: Jet, Big Barn Red, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (a
>personal favorite), Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars/
>Rock Show, With A Little Luck, Coming Up (I prefer the solo version to
>the live version, specifically because of its tinny nature)...and there's
>a bunch more.

I really despise the vast majority of Wings' output (I mean, people go
nuts for Band on the Run, but I wish they'd shove that album up their
collective arses for how much I hate it), BUT! I do have a Wings' best of.
Jet *is* a good song, and I do like Mull of Kintyre. Said 'best of' did,
much to my utter distaste, leave off Maybe I'm Amazed which is a great
song, however. Still, even though a 10 or 12 song Wings' best of WOULD be
good, I prefer Ringo's output.

No, seriously.

Lulu

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <nXwi1.6634$Rj6.2...@nntp1.nac.net>, "fred"
<fsol...@nac.net> wrote:

>Lulu wrote in message ...
>>I don't actually know. All I know is I've heard a version by a girl, and a
>>version by a man that definitely wasn't Ringo. Ringo has a pretty distinct
>>voice :)
>yep, it is a ringo tune. badfinger backed him on it. it can be heard in
>the simpson's episode in which he guest-starred where a trip into
>the simpson attic reveals marge's crush on a young ringo and also
>shows her to be an artist of great merit.

Yes, I've seen that.

>>I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
>>McCartney and Harrison.
>replace 'mccartney' with 'lennon' and i'd agree with you. talk about
>overrated!

I think there's a chance that a Ringo best-of would outclass The Lennon
Collection, as well. But a *well done* (read: one what doesn't have crap
like Love on it) Lennon best-of could win out over Ringo.

>and you just don't like mccartney because he's threatened
>to drown your friends. :P

You know that I disliked him before that. Jeez.

Andrew Gilmour

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 03:24:52 GMT, eb...@NOSPAMnetcomuk.co.uk (Tom
Ewing) wrote:

>>>Overrated.
>>
>>Sometimes I think Goody Two Shoes is the best song of the 80s.

I may be biased because it was the first album I ever bought but Kings
Of The Wild Frontier was one of the best albums of the 80s. It kicked
with originality and the 2 drummer sound was amazing.

Sadly it was a gradual decline for Adam from that point on culminating
with the dreadful Vive le Rock and his Live Aid appearance which
effectively finished him. Vive Le Rock was the only song to drop down
the charts after being performed there.

Andrew Stewart

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:06:58 GMT, fsol...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>> 6.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 1
>> 7.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 2
>> 8.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 3
>> 9.SCOTT WALKER - Scott 4
>come on now. ;) i could live without 3 and
>2 is inching into my top 20.

Even as a Scott Walker fan, I wouldn't have any of these on the list,
except maybe 4. I would have Tilt and Climate Of Hunter though.

>> 10.NIRVANA - Nevermind
>i've never liked this album and they blew the
>whole vibe they had going with this pick. it
>just goes against the very nature of this list.

This would be on my list but towards the end.

>> 13.ABBA - Gold
>not big on abba. i have yet to buy
>into the critical reassessment.

I heard some Abba in a record shop the other day and was astounded by
how good it still sounds.

>> 27.KRAFTWERK - The Mix
>a terrible cd, but they should be represented.

I actually like The Mix.

>> 45.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

Good 'un.

>> 47.ROD STEWART - Handbags And Gladrags
>give me "every picture..." i listened to his
>new one in the record store the other day.
>believe the hype, or most of it. i just may
>pick this up (to the consternation of ama
>en masse.)

The easy ride his latest album is getting in reviews annoys the shit
out of me.

>> 51.NEW ORDER - Technique
>substance is better.

And Unknown Pleasures and Closer are way way better.

>other faves not in here: bowie,

I was waiting for someone else to say it.

With all the Best Ofs in the list, any one of the several excellent
Bowie Best Ofs should have made it, not to mention 'real' albums.

(np: Best Of Bowie 74/79)
To receive a regular Bowie newsletter, send a message to bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"

Andrew Stewart

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:09:22 GMT, rob...@xs4all.nl (Nac) wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:14:37 -0400, Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net>
>excreted the following amount of drivel:
>

>>> The Monkees are very misunderstood, though...I prefer them
>>> to the Beatles at least (though they could have used Ringo).
>>
>>Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented white-out?
>
>I thought she invented Post-It's

No, it was definitely white-out (or Tippex as we tend to call it
here).

I'm not sure if she actually invented it but she was the first to
patent it, thereby giving her son ample funds to squander on dreadful
'independent' movies and not worry about having to play Vegas.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <bitchyspice-19...@ip-81-244.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,

Lulu <bitch...@moo.com> wrote:
>In article <6md230$6cd$2...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>
>>I dunno. Maybe it's just me (I remember discovering that one of the guys
>>in Wings used to be in some band called the Beatles), but I think that
>>Paul could probably put out a pretty decent best of. Just off the top
>>of my head: Jet, Big Barn Red, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (a
>>personal favorite), Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars/
>>Rock Show, With A Little Luck, Coming Up (I prefer the solo version to
>>the live version, specifically because of its tinny nature)...and there's
>>a bunch more.
>
>I really despise the vast majority of Wings' output (I mean, people go
>nuts for Band on the Run, but I wish they'd shove that album up their
>collective arses for how much I hate it), BUT! I do have a Wings' best of.
>Jet *is* a good song, and I do like Mull of Kintyre. Said 'best of' did,
>much to my utter distaste, leave off Maybe I'm Amazed which is a great
>song, however.

Did they include any of McCartney's so-called "solo" works, or did they
start with "Wild Life" stuff? I haven't seen the album in years, and have
forgotten the track listing.

>Still, even though a 10 or 12 song Wings' best of WOULD be
>good, I prefer Ringo's output.
>
>No, seriously.

Lennon said it best, stating that he and the other ex-Beatles were
worried about whether Ringo could maintain a solo career. John then
noted that Ringo's chart record was better than his own...
--
Fans of the November Project, Wide Thread, Moonlight Raked the Lawn,
..outbreak..., etc. should stay tuned to news:alt.sandy.claws for an

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98
>In article <nXwi1.6634$Rj6.2...@nntp1.nac.net>, "fred"
><fsol...@nac.net> wrote:
>
>>Lulu wrote in message ...
>>>I don't actually know. All I know is I've heard a version by a girl, and a
>>>version by a man that definitely wasn't Ringo. Ringo has a pretty distinct
>>>voice :)
>>yep, it is a ringo tune. badfinger backed him on it. it can be heard in
>>the simpson's episode in which he guest-starred where a trip into
>>the simpson attic reveals marge's crush on a young ringo and also
>>shows her to be an artist of great merit.
>
>Yes, I've seen that.
>
>>>I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
>>>McCartney and Harrison.
>>replace 'mccartney' with 'lennon' and i'd agree with you. talk about
>>overrated!
>
>I think there's a chance that a Ringo best-of would outclass The Lennon
>Collection, as well. But a *well done* (read: one what doesn't have crap
>like Love on it) Lennon best-of could win out over Ringo.

Anyone whose output includes both "Cold Turkey" and "Imagine" as hits --
man's that's almost as good as the White Album. And I mean that in terms
of praise; I *like* variety. (I was just drafting a press release tonight
that talks about variety...) :)

>>and you just don't like mccartney because he's threatened
>>to drown your friends. :P
>
>You know that I disliked him before that. Jeez.

I missed that story. Tell more.

Persi

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

>>>Sometimes I think Goody Two Shoes is the best song of the 80s.

Nope....definitely Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Shoot Em Up (or something like that)

--
In My CD Changer/Stereo:

Crosby, Stills and Nash - s/t
Arab Strap - Philophobia
Orb - Pomme Fritz

Timothy J Young

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

Lulu <bitchyspice@*.geocities.com> wrote:

: I freely admit that I think a good Ringo best-of would easily outclass
: McCartney and Harrison.

Hmmm... I just had a thought that related to another thread. "Stop and
Smell The Roses," which Ringo put out ca. 1980, should have been on that
"Worst Album" list.

--
| Tim Young (tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) |
| GW Law '99 ; Dartmouth '96 Red Sox-o-Meter : |

Lulu

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <6mi1dg$rdq$1...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>>In article <6md230$6cd$2...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>>>I dunno. Maybe it's just me (I remember discovering that one of the guys
>>>in Wings used to be in some band called the Beatles), but I think that
>>>Paul could probably put out a pretty decent best of. Just off the top
>>>of my head: Jet, Big Barn Red, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (a
>>>personal favorite), Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars/
>>>Rock Show, With A Little Luck, Coming Up (I prefer the solo version to
>>>the live version, specifically because of its tinny nature)...and there's
>>>a bunch more.
>>I really despise the vast majority of Wings' output (I mean, people go
>>nuts for Band on the Run, but I wish they'd shove that album up their
>>collective arses for how much I hate it), BUT! I do have a Wings' best of.
>>Jet *is* a good song, and I do like Mull of Kintyre. Said 'best of' did,
>>much to my utter distaste, leave off Maybe I'm Amazed which is a great
>>song, however.
>Did they include any of McCartney's so-called "solo" works, or did they
>start with "Wild Life" stuff? I haven't seen the album in years, and have
>forgotten the track listing.

It has Another Day on it, to start it, I think -- was that solo or not? I
really can't remember. My mum had the 45 somewhere, but I forget how it
was credited.

>>Still, even though a 10 or 12 song Wings' best of WOULD be
>>good, I prefer Ringo's output.

>Lennon said it best, stating that he and the other ex-Beatles were
>worried about whether Ringo could maintain a solo career. John then
>noted that Ringo's chart record was better than his own...

He's putting out a new album, you know.

Ringo, I mean. Not John. Obviously.

Lulu

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <6mi1ip$rdq$2...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>>I think there's a chance that a Ringo best-of would outclass The Lennon
>>Collection, as well. But a *well done* (read: one what doesn't have crap
>>like Love on it) Lennon best-of could win out over Ringo.
>Anyone whose output includes both "Cold Turkey" and "Imagine" as hits --
>man's that's almost as good as the White Album. And I mean that in terms
>of praise; I *like* variety. (I was just drafting a press release tonight
>that talks about variety...) :)

Oh, I like variety too -- I just think the brand of variety found on the
White Album is detrimental to the album :) Really, if you cut it in half,
you'd still have variety, but you'd lose the utter toss like Wild Honey
Pie, which is possibly the most pointless thing ever. As for Lennon, his
best song, IMO, is still (Just Like) Starting Over. I do like his solo
work greatly, but he was so iffy. It's like sometimes he really put a lot
of effort into it and did a great deal of good work, but other times he
just went into the studio and said, 'Right, will this do?' and went home.

>>>and you just don't like mccartney because he's threatened
>>>to drown your friends. :P
>>You know that I disliked him before that. Jeez.
>I missed that story. Tell more.

Chalk it up to my weird, weird subconcious.

Lulu

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <goldenapple-ya02408000R2106982346000001@news>,
golde...@thepentagon.com.HAIL.ERIS (Arsenic) wrote:

>In article <bitchyspice-16...@ip-81-100.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
>bitch...@duh.com wrote:
>¿ What are you, kidding me? Pulling me leg? Taking the piss? Cos that's the
>¿ only way that statement makes any sense. Garbage are nowt but a half assed
>¿ Blondie trying to be 'scary' by ripping off everyone in the universe. The
>¿ first album had a couple good cuts and promise, but the second is nowt but
>¿ rehash.
>I didn't hate "Push It," but it was nothing that made me want to spend
>money on an album (the latter puts it in the same category as every other
>radio single of 1998* so far). MTV, of course, went ga-ga over the video,
>which was actually really stoopid;

It's now been trashed at least twice on 12 Angry Viewers. Deep down, I'm
proud of the dads and the college breaker kids what judged it.

>I'd rather just spend three or four minutes staring at Shirley.

Ergh. With the first album, I woulda agreed, but she is looking *harsh*
recently, and unwashed. That's one for the a.m.spice-girls 'Who would be
in the movie' thread, Shirley gains weight and plays Geri.

>¿ If that qualifies as 'better than Nirvana', fine then. At least
>¿ they did a bit more than rehash a tired sound with each album.
>Yeah, but out of the four* rock/modern-rock** radio stations in my area, at
>least one of them is going to play Nirvana during any given hour, even to
>this day. And it's ALWAYS either In Bloom, Aneurysm, Come As You Are, or
>All Apologies. EVERY TIME, one of those four.

That sucks. I actually hate all those songs except In Bloom, as well. Jesus.

>¿ And before you start with that crap about what a lo-fi, noisehound fan I
>¿ am, I can't stand the vast majority of Nirvana's music. It's just that I
>¿ think anyone with taste and common sense would be offended by the notion
>¿ that Butch Vig's band is any good at all.
>That's not Butch Vig's band. That's Shirley Manson's band.

She'd like you to think that, at least.

>¿ Of course, it does have good production. He should go back to doing
just that.
>Ah yes. Vig will forever be known in my mind as The Man Who Made Billy
>Corgan's Voice Tolerable.

A good description. Then again, even great production didn't make Mr.
Corgan tolerable to me :)

>¿ >The "Like a Prayer" album is better anyway.
>¿ Like a Prayer is a vastly overrated album, she's done better since (and
>¿ I'm not talking about the equally overrated Ray of Light).
>Then what ~are~ you talking about?

Erotica. Great album. Like a Prayer is a very good album, but tracks like
Til Death Do Us Part totally seem like the sort of thing I would've liked
when I was 8. And Dear Jesse *really* pisses me off.

Ray of Light, OTOH, is the sort of album rock crits like, but it's really
not as good as it seems. First of all, the lyrics are *atrocious* in most
every song. Secondly, her voice has lost a lot of flavour. At first, I
thought she was singing better, and she IS singing better, but my god, I
hope she unlearns those voice lessons. Her diction is...yikes.

>Anyway, Rod's cover of "Cigarettes and Alcohol" is without a doubt THE
>WORST song I have heard from at least the past year, and that's saying a
>lot.

It's perfectly evil. As Tom The Oasis Hater Himself would say, I'd rather
listen to Oasis's entire back catalogue then listen to that once.

Lulu

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

In article <Nzlj1.99$A%.1074156@fozzy.nit.gwu.edu>, Timothy J Young
<tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:

>A number of semi-rhetorical questions about this "list" :
>No Beatles? No Stones? No Who?

Actually, even considering the psuedo-criteria that Tom said the list had,
why not the Who? Stick My Generation: The Best Of... on. It meets the
criteria of things that get left off, and it's a best of.

>Why Happy Mondays and not Stone Roses?

Well, IMO, because the Happy Mondays are better than the Overrated
Wankheads, but that's probably not their reason for leaving it off :)

Timothy J Young

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

: Lulu wrote:

:> >Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
:> >*albums* as we know them.
:>
:> I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
:> filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
:> Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
:> Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
:> was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.

: Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul?

Revolver? Probably "Love You To." Damn annoying. Other than that, all
keepers, though I could personally pass on "Good Day Sunshine."

Rubber Soul? Just "Run For Your Life." Stupid.

From the White Album? Both the things Ringo sings, Revolution #9, both
things with "Honey Pie" in the title, "I Will," "Martha My Dear." Trouble
is that leaves you w/ 3 sides instead of 2. Out of personal tastes, can
"Glass Onion," "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" (can't stand that one), and "Yer
Blues." Oh, and I suppose the Bungalow Bill song could go too.

Sgt. Pepper has always
: been overrated, but again, we're not arguing good songs vs. bad songs, we're
: arguing building an album and establishing interior logic. Rubber Soul
: does that dozens of times over.

Certainly does.

Timothy J Young

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

A number of semi-rhetorical questions about this "list" :

No Beatles? No Stones? No Who?

No Prince? No David Bowie? No R.E.M? No U2? No Stevie Wonder?
No Pixies? No Clash? No Public Enemy?

Is Gang Starr's album really better than "Straight Outta Compton?"

Why Happy Mondays and not Stone Roses?

Why Sister Sledge and no Chic?

Why AC/DC, who have to be the most boring and predictable band in
hard rock or metal history, and why not a better choice like, say, "Toys
In The Attic" by Aerosmith, or "Houses of the Holy" by Led Zeppelin, or
Van Halen's debut (which did about the same thing AC/DC tries to do, but
does it _so_ much better)? And no metal should get in without one of
Metallica's three great albums (that's "Ride The Lightning," "Master of
Puppets," and "And Justice For All") getting listed.

Who are these fools anyway?

And who the hell is Scott Walker?

Geir Hongro

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Timothy J Young <tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>A number of semi-rhetorical questions about this "list" :
>
>No Beatles? No Stones? No Who?
>
>No Prince? No David Bowie? No R.E.M? No U2? No Stevie Wonder?
>No Pixies? No Clash? No Public Enemy?

They did it completely on purpose.

I don't miss PE btw.....

--

Geir Hongro

Beatles,Beach Boys,Hollies,Byrds,Tamla Motown,Paul
Simon,Genesis,Yes,Pink Floyd,10cc,Queen,ELO,Bob Marley,
Marillion,Split Enz,Madness,XTC,Squeeze,Aztec Camera,
Prefab Sprout,Scritti Politti,Gangway,Depeche Mode,
Human League,OMD,Yazoo,Erasure,Cure,Prince,Lightning
Seeds,Crowded House,Dodgy,Blur,Oasis,Radiohead,Kula
Shaker,Supernaturals,Super Furry Animals,Orbital
Norwegian: http://home.sol.no/knhongro/Geir/
English: http://home.sol.no/knhongro/Geir/andnow.htm

Geir Hongro

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu) wrote:

>Well, IMO, because the Happy Mondays are better than the Overrated
>Wankheads, but that's probably not their reason for leaving it off :)

Probably has more to do with "The Stones Roses" being represented
on every UK based Top 100 list ever made since 1989. Happy Mondays
(understandably) seldom make this kind of lists.

fred

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Lulu wrote in message ...

i don't think it's bad at all. and the album is pretty damn good. my only
complaint is that the band lacks character and aren't on par with
rod's vocalization. the guitarist is alright, the bassist is absolutelu
unobtrusive, and the drummer is painfully solid.

back to "cigarettes & alcohol", i love the revamped version. it fits rod
like
a glove; a flashback to the days of the faces. then again, i actually like
the faces so that may explain it. it's good to hear rod rock again instead
of peddling pablum like "if we fall in love tonight." "c & a" is the least
of
the uptempo tunes on the album; the best is the cover of the primal's
"rocks."

peace...fred

fred

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Lulu

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

In article <Brwj1.3$KV.4...@nntp1.nac.net>, "fred" <fsol...@nac.net> wrote:

>back to "cigarettes & alcohol", i love the revamped version.

[snip]

If you ever make fun of me liking Backstreet's Back again after admitting
that, I *will* slap you.

Cheers,
Lulu

--
"I'd like to think I'm gonna be the type of old man who could kick your ass any day." - Dr. Katz

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <bitchyspice-21...@ip-81-108.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
Lulu <bitch...@tv.com> wrote:

>He's putting out a new album, you know.
>
>Ringo, I mean. Not John. Obviously.

Maybe not obviously. Yoko may have a few more tapes in the attic.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Lulu <bitch...@mi.com> wrote:

>Oh, I like variety too -- I just think the brand of variety found on the
>White Album is detrimental to the album :) Really, if you cut it in half,
>you'd still have variety, but you'd lose the utter toss like Wild Honey
>Pie, which is possibly the most pointless thing ever.

I love Wild Honey Pie, but probably wouldn't love it if it were two minutes
long, or longer. Frankly, I prefer it to (mild) Honey Pie.

Question: why are all the album in-jokes at McCartney's expense? I can
think of the title of the song "Wild Honey Pie," plus Harrison's line in
"Savoy Truffle." And, of course, the Walrus was Paul.

>As for Lennon, his
>best song, IMO, is still (Just Like) Starting Over.

I prefer "Imagine," or even "Jealous Guy." "Starting Over," however, does
reach back over the decades musically, which fits in with the lyrics.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <Eclj1.98$A%.1074156@fozzy.nit.gwu.edu>,

Timothy J Young <tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net> wrote:
>: Lulu wrote:
>
>:> >Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
>:> >*albums* as we know them.
>:>
>:> I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
>:> filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
>:> Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
>:> Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
>:> was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.
>
>: Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul?
>
>Revolver? Probably "Love You To." Damn annoying. Other than that, all
>keepers, though I could personally pass on "Good Day Sunshine."

I agree on cutting "Love You To," though the truly non-cohesive track on
Revolver is "Tomorrow Never Knows." It's also the best track.

>Rubber Soul? Just "Run For Your Life." Stupid.

It's a wonderful song -- it was just arranged poorly. If you play it at
half speed, on a piano, drunkenly, it's excellent.

>From the White Album? Both the things Ringo sings, Revolution #9, both
>things with "Honey Pie" in the title, "I Will," "Martha My Dear." Trouble
>is that leaves you w/ 3 sides instead of 2. Out of personal tastes, can
>"Glass Onion," "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" (can't stand that one), and "Yer
>Blues." Oh, and I suppose the Bungalow Bill song could go too.

What, and miss Yoko's solo spot? :)

If you wanted a cohesive White Album (not that I do), why not just lop
off sides 3 and 4?

Lulu

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <6mnf0i$rmn$1...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:

>In article <bitchyspice-21...@ip-81-108.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
>Lulu <bitch...@mi.com> wrote:
>>Oh, I like variety too -- I just think the brand of variety found on the
>>White Album is detrimental to the album :) Really, if you cut it in half,
>>you'd still have variety, but you'd lose the utter toss like Wild Honey
>>Pie, which is possibly the most pointless thing ever.
>I love Wild Honey Pie, but probably wouldn't love it if it were two minutes
>long, or longer. Frankly, I prefer it to (mild) Honey Pie.

THAT'S a good point. Honey Pie is a terrible, terrible song.

>Question: why are all the album in-jokes at McCartney's expense? I can
>think of the title of the song "Wild Honey Pie," plus Harrison's line in
>"Savoy Truffle." And, of course, the Walrus was Paul.

Well, I don't know. Maybe they all hated him.

>>As for Lennon, his
>>best song, IMO, is still (Just Like) Starting Over.
>I prefer "Imagine," or even "Jealous Guy." "Starting Over," however, does
>reach back over the decades musically, which fits in with the lyrics.

Well, I really don't like Jealous Guy (the anti-ballad instinct sets in
with that song). I don't know what I like about Starting Over. My mum
calls it 'The One That Sounds Like Elvis'.

Totally off topic: Why does MTV play cool music in the filler things, like
the station identification, but play crap music the rest of the time? They
play Like a Friend to introduct that DJ Dave all the time.

John E. Bredehoft

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <bitchyspice-23...@ip-81-151.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,

Lulu <bitch...@god.com> wrote:
>In article <6mnf0i$rmn$1...@news01.deltanet.com>, jbre...@deltanet.com wrote:
>
>>In article <bitchyspice-21...@ip-81-108.phx.dialup.dancris.com>,
>>Lulu <bitch...@mi.com> wrote:
>>>Oh, I like variety too -- I just think the brand of variety found on the
>>>White Album is detrimental to the album :) Really, if you cut it in half,
>>>you'd still have variety, but you'd lose the utter toss like Wild Honey
>>>Pie, which is possibly the most pointless thing ever.
>>I love Wild Honey Pie, but probably wouldn't love it if it were two minutes
>>long, or longer. Frankly, I prefer it to (mild) Honey Pie.
>
>THAT'S a good point. Honey Pie is a terrible, terrible song.

Maybe Paul's dad liked it.

>>Question: why are all the album in-jokes at McCartney's expense? I can
>>think of the title of the song "Wild Honey Pie," plus Harrison's line in
>>"Savoy Truffle." And, of course, the Walrus was Paul.
>
>Well, I don't know. Maybe they all hated him.

Or they were afraid to make in-jokes about Lennon, fearing that Yoko
would scream at them.

>>>As for Lennon, his
>>>best song, IMO, is still (Just Like) Starting Over.
>>I prefer "Imagine," or even "Jealous Guy." "Starting Over," however, does
>>reach back over the decades musically, which fits in with the lyrics.
>
>Well, I really don't like Jealous Guy (the anti-ballad instinct sets in
>with that song). I don't know what I like about Starting Over. My mum
>calls it 'The One That Sounds Like Elvis'.

"Jealous Guy" is similar to "Imagine" in its lyrics/music dichotomy --
both have breathtaking beautiful arrangements, but the lyrics deal
with the Communist Manifesto in one case, and unchecked anger in the
other. Not your usually Top 40 material.

>Totally off topic: Why does MTV play cool music in the filler things, like
>the station identification, but play crap music the rest of the time? They
>play Like a Friend to introduct that DJ Dave all the time.

Because many of MTV's people came from Los Angeles radio station KROQ,
which does exactly the same thing.
--
..View?

Adam Glover

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

John E. Bredehoft wrote in message:

>If you wanted a cohesive White Album (not that I do),
>why not just lop off sides 3 and 4?

Blasphemy! I may be the last man on Earth who prefers
the 2nd disc to the 1st.

--
Adam Glover, kool...@interlog.com
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Adam Glover

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Geir Hongro wrote:
>Timothy J Young <tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>>Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net> wrote:
>>: Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul?
>>Revolver? Probably "Love You To." Damn annoying.
>That one is OK, but I might have cut off "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Geir, this is beneath even you.

Lulu

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <6mppp1$bfj$1...@news1.sol.no>, Geir Hongro <geir...@online.no> wrote:

>bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu) wrote:
>>And Dear Jesse *really* pisses me off.

>"Dear Jessie", together with "Oh Father", "Spanish Eyes" and
>"Promise To Try" represent the best she has ever done.

And then Geir bought the rest of her back catalogue...

Geir Hongro

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:

>I dunno. Maybe it's just me (I remember discovering that one of the guys
>in Wings used to be in some band called the Beatles), but I think that
>Paul could probably put out a pretty decent best of. Just off the top
>of my head: Jet, Big Barn Red, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (a
>personal favorite), Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars/
>Rock Show, With A Little Luck, Coming Up (I prefer the solo version to
>the live version, specifically because of its tinny nature)...and there's
>a bunch more.

Not only decent. In fact he has made about 4 or 5 GREAT solo
albums!!!!!!!

Geir Hongro

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

golde...@thepentagon.com.HAIL.ERIS (Arsenic) wrote:

>Ah yes. Vig will forever be known in my mind as The Man Who Made Billy
>Corgan's Voice Tolerable.

Tolerable? Why?

I can hardly hear his voice at all on "Siamese Dream". The album
contained one really good song "Disarm", but they didn't become
really good until Flood took over the production (and even better
when Corgan took over himself...)

>ż Like a Prayer is a vastly overrated album, she's done better since (and
>ż I'm not talking about the equally overrated Ray of Light).

>Then what ~are~ you talking about?

Possibly the BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD "Erotica" album or the completely
worthless and useless "Justify My Love" single......

Geir Hongro

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Timothy J Young <tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net> wrote:
>: Lulu wrote:
>
>:> >Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
>:> >*albums* as we know them.
>:>
>:> I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
>:> filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
>:> Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
>:> Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
>:> was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.
>
>: Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul?
>
>Revolver? Probably "Love You To." Damn annoying.

That one is OK, but I might have cut off "Tomorrow Never Knows"

and "Got To Get You Into My Life". On "Sgt. Pepper", however,
everything is perfect!

Geir Hongro

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

jbre...@delta1.deltanet.com (John E. Bredehoft) wrote:
>In article <Eclj1.98$A%.1074156@fozzy.nit.gwu.edu>,

>Timothy J Young <tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>>Tom Madigan <tmad...@wt.infi.net> wrote:
>>: Lulu wrote:
>>
>>:> >Suit yourself, but you're talking about one of the first bands to make
>>:> >*albums* as we know them.
>>:>
>>:> I don't think I agree with that. Every single Beatles album had needless
>>:> filler tracks, in terms of 'cohesive album' standpoint, even Sgt.
>>:> Pepper's, which is always weirdly regarded as a concept album. The White
>>:> Album would be a thousand times better, for instance, if a good deal of it
>>:> was cut out and it was made into a single disc album.
>>
>>: Well, what would you cut off Revolver or Rubber Soul?
>>
>>Revolver? Probably "Love You To." Damn annoying. Other than that, all
>>keepers, though I could personally pass on "Good Day Sunshine."
>
>I agree on cutting "Love You To," though the truly non-cohesive track on
>Revolver is "Tomorrow Never Knows." It's also the best track.
>
>>Rubber Soul? Just "Run For Your Life." Stupid.
>
>It's a wonderful song -- it was just arranged poorly. If you play it at
>half speed, on a piano, drunkenly, it's excellent.

One song still would have been better left off the album: I'm
speaking about "What Goes On".

As for "The White Album": Remove "Revolution 9", "Ob-La-Di,
Ob-La-Da", "Yer Blues", "Helter Skelter", "Wild Honey Pie", "Don't
Pass Me By", "We Don't We Do It In The Road?", "Birthday",
"Revolution 9", "Cry Baby Cry" and "Good Night" and it would have
been a perfect single album.

Geir Hongro

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

bitchyspice@*.geocities.com (Lulu) wrote:
>And Dear Jesse *really* pisses me off.

"Dear Jessie", together with "Oh Father", "Spanish Eyes" and
"Promise To Try" represent the best she has ever done.

She should stop making dance music forever and instead start
making pop albums.

It is loading more messages.