Front 242 Recommendations?

Markus A. Laine

Nov 28, 1993, 6:23:14 PM11/28/93

Would someone kindly mail me some objective recommendations for
getting Front 242 music? I already possess "Tyranny >For You<" and am
interested in obtaining some of their other material. Is their more
recent material better or should I try the older stuff? Also, what
other artists of this genre can you objectively recommend? Personally
I like the more mainstream NIN and Ministry, but I dislike Skinny Puppy.
Front 242 has so far fallen somewhere in the middle...

comments?

markus

--
wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu

Mark Yokoyama

Nov 29, 1993, 9:15:49 PM11/29/93
Markus A. Laine (wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu) wrote:

: Would someone kindly mail me some objective recommendations for

: comments?

: markus

: --
: wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu

um, how about nothing else by them.

* "FAMILY DEAD, JUST FREAKIN' OUT BLEEDING...." *
* *
* *
* -The Arch-Drude *

Larva Boy

Nov 30, 1993, 11:00:10 PM11/30/93

>comments?

Well... All of them. I don't quite have all of them yet, but I'm working
on it. But for starters, well, Tyranny was a good choice. Their newer
stuff is MUCH different, much more diverse and experimental. Of the two
new ones this year, I prefer "06:21:03:11 UP EVIL" (FUCK UP EVIL). The
other has lots of female vocals, which is cool if that interests you. Of
their older stuff, I like "Official Version" a lot, as well as "Front By
Front". I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, if you like
Tyranny. Backcatalogue is good, I haven't listened to it much yet though.
I haven't heard "No Comment" or "Geography", so I can't comment on those.

Oh, and you should check out "Buttfuck Parlour Time" by NIN, it just came out.
Never heard so much raw anger on a disc.

(just kidding, dammit)

Larva Boy
<mag...@u.washington.edu>

>markus

>--
>wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu

as...@aurora.alaska.edu

Dec 1, 1993, 8:03:07 AM12/1/93
In article <CH86A...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Markus A. Laine) writes:

> Would someone kindly mail me some objective recommendations for
> getting Front 242 music?

Personally, I don't have a whole lot, but...
Front by Front is good, best track (imho) being #10, Welcome to Paradise
("Hey poor! You don't have to be poor anymore! Jesus is here!) Good
sampling...
I've got both of the new albums...probably like the newest one (05:22:09:12
Off) better. A bit more accessible to me...a wierd blend of old 242, recent
Ministry, and Einsturzende Neubauten. <grin>

Woodstock

Erik Jones

Dec 2, 1993, 6:01:26 PM12/2/93
Markus A. Laine (wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu) wrote:

: Would someone kindly mail me some objective recommendations for

: comments?

: markus

: --
: wat...@coos.dartmouth.edu

Try anything by Frontline Assembly. They sound a lot like Front 242
except for the fact that they don't suck <snicker>.

-erik-

Kelly Hallman

Dec 3, 1993, 5:53:13 AM12/3/93
as...@aurora.alaska.edu writes:

> I've got both of the new albums...probably like the newest one (05:22:09:12
> Off) better. A bit more accessible to me...a wierd blend of old 242, recent
> Ministry, and Einsturzende Neubauten. <grin>

i have both of the new ones, too. i like them both just about the same.
the new one is a bit more experimental, although both albums are
noticably different from old front. i thought that the addition of the
chick singing varied the sound quite a bit, for the better i think..
"Animal" (all the versions) have got to be some of my favorites along
with the original versions of "Melt" and "Religion"...out of the two new
albums.

"If there is one thing worse than superficiality...
...it is the _illusion_ of profundity." --Peter Paphides
All replies to: khal...@missing.com (Kelly Hallman)

as...@aurora.alaska.edu

Dec 5, 1993, 8:00:59 AM12/5/93
In article <eRaZDc...@missing.com>, khal...@missing.com (Kelly Hallman) writes:
> "Animal" (all the versions) have got to be some of my favorites along
> with the original versions of "Melt" and "Religion"...out of the two new
> albums.

Actually, I've never quite sat down and puzzled out which track is which song,
especially on the newer album. No numbers on the sleeve, 14 listed titles on
the inside, and another (apparent) three titles on the back of the sleeve.
My guess is that Animal is split into three parts...end up with 16 tracks,
which works out right with the disc. Odd, though...just what are the bits
on the back of the sleeve then?

Also, picked up a single for Religion...good remixes, including a _really_
fast techno version remixed by the Prodigy...two mixes of Crapage by the
Orb, and having the Orb remixing 242 is just bizarre...and one fun mix of
Religion with lots of samples from Deep Throat. True oddities...but good
stuffs.

Woody

JOB...@delphi.com

Dec 6, 1993, 12:26:51 AM12/6/93
> which works out right with the disc. Odd, though...just what are the bits
> on the back of the sleeve then?

If you're referring to the three listed songs "Driven By Passion", "Stomped By
Screaming Girls" and "Master of None"... well, if you listen to the disc
closely, there ARE 16 distinct songs... but the music is only COMPLETELY
interrupted twice, breaking the
CD up into 3 parts which would coincide with the 3 listed "tracks". Hope this
is of service to ya.

\\\ She said "Jesus had a twin who knew nothing of sin"... ///

s/k

Chris W. Rea [UL]

Dec 10, 1993, 2:46:51 PM12/10/93
In article <931206.016...@delphi.com>, <JOB...@delphi.com> wrote:
>> which works out right with the disc. Odd, though...just what are the bits
>> on the back of the sleeve then?
>
>If you're referring to the three listed songs "Driven By Passion", "Stomped By
>Screaming Girls" and "Master of None"... well, if you listen to the disc
>closely, there ARE 16 distinct songs... but the music is only COMPLETELY
>interrupted twice, breaking the
> CD up into 3 parts which would coincide with the 3 listed "tracks". Hope this
>is of service to ya.

You are wrong.

There are sixteen tracks on the disc and sixteen tracks listed.
It just confuses people that the first three tracks are listed on the
first line.

The first THREE tracks (1,2,3) are Animal: Cage / Gate / Guide

Cage being 1, Gate being 2, Guide being 3.

Everything follows in proper order after that.

"Driven by Passion", "Stomped by Screaming Girls", and "Master of None"
are just philosophical blurbs and NOT names of tracks on the album.

TTYL!

< [UL] (Chris Rea) UofT CompSci Student/Amiga Programmer >
< Usenet: cw...@io.org e0f9...@credit.erin.utoronto.ca >
< Sysop/IntuitionBase BBX -> (905)569-1482 (905)569-1419 >
< "I open my mouth and some idiot speaks." -Midnight Oil >