South by Southwest

Jim Connelly

Jan 6, 1994, 9:11:36 PM1/6/94
Can anyone tell me the exact dates of the big South By Southwest (or
whatever it's really called, I know it has some cool name) thingy (my
brain hurts) in Austin this year??? Reply by e-mail if you could.
Thanks in advance.
--barefoot jim

jimco...@delphi.com

Christopher T Chiu

Jan 7, 1994, 12:44:10 AM1/7/94
I recently bought "Broken" by Nine Inch Nails, and later heard that there was a special version of it with extra songs. Is this true?

Also, can anybody tell me about the most recent NIN album, "Fixed"? I didn't even know that it had come out!

From a curious musician,
Genghis
mitt...@athena.mit.edu

Devin Stewart

Jan 7, 1994, 12:53:52 AM1/7/94

On all the CD's I've seen Tracks 98 & 99 are extra songs. Fixed has been
out for a while, it is in a blue box instead of red, and is remixes of broken.

Christopher T Chiu

Jan 7, 1994, 1:00:09 AM1/7/94

Ned Raggett

Jan 7, 1994, 1:52:23 AM1/7/94
In article <2gisra$4...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,

Christopher T Chiu <mitt...@athena.mit.edu> wrote:
>I recently bought "Broken" by Nine Inch Nails, and later heard that there was a special version of it with extra songs. Is this true?

Sort of. The extra songs are a cover of Adam Ant's "You're So Physical" and
a new version of "Suck", originally done for the first Pigface album.
However, the original pressings had both those songs on a 3 inch CD single.

>Also, can anybody tell me about the most recent NIN album, "Fixed"? I didn't even know that it had come out!

That was a limited edition thang that came out a couple of months after
"Broken" and consists of six remixes from that.

And while I'm on the subject, publicity goddess Lucinda at Interscope told
me the other day that we can FINALLY expect the new album, "The Downward
Spiral", in March. Took him long enough!

radparker

Jan 7, 1994, 9:25:39 AM1/7/94
nara...@orion.oac.uci.edu (Ned Raggett) writes:

>And while I'm on the subject, publicity goddess Lucinda at Interscope told
>me the other day that we can FINALLY expect the new album, "The Downward
>Spiral", in March. Took him long enough!

I think you're forgetting Buttfuck Parlour Time .... :) :)

--
__ __ _________________________________________________
| |__| Radcliffe J. Parker <par...@winternet.mpls.mn.us>
| quote: "aldus pagemaker 5.0 sucks."

Ted James

Jan 7, 1994, 2:35:15 PM1/7/94
In article <940106.76296...@delphi.com> Jim Connelly,

JIMCO...@delphi.com writes:
>Can anyone tell me the exact dates of the big South By Southwest (or
>whatever it's really called, I know it has some cool name) thingy (my
>brain hurts) in Austin this year??? Reply by e-mail if you could.
>Thanks in advance.

It is indeed called South By Southwest (SXSW). Dates are March 16-20,
1994. Earlier that week, the SXSW Film Conference starts. On March 16,
they kick things off with the Austin Music Awards. On the 17th, the fun
begins. They haven't named bands, yet. That'll probably happen in late
January or early February. I'll try to post a listing when they release
it.

Ted

Ned Raggett

Jan 7, 1994, 6:37:25 PM1/7/94
In article <parker.757952669@icicle>,
radparker <par...@icicle.winternet.mpls.mn.us> wrote:

>I think you're forgetting Buttfuck Parlour Time .... :) :)

I thought I'd let that go unmentioned. Great rumor, though. ;-)

Robert A. Mason

Jan 8, 1994, 3:52:45 AM1/8/94

Some cat asked about the two extra tracks on BROKEN....

Well, if you bought the first pressing of the EP you got a cute
lil mini-disc with a cover of adam ant's "Physical" and a song
called "suck"(co-written with pigface). But don't despair
if you don't have that....ALL versions of BROKEN have these
two tracks as I understand it....they're hidden...they're
tracks number 98 and 99 on most versions.

Also, the person asked about FIXED....

This is an EP of remixes and is still easily found in the popular
CD format. But I *think* the cassette version was very limited
edition and included some bonus stuff, i think live stuff, but I'm
not really sure.

Cliff K Chen

Jan 8, 1994, 2:37:24 PM1/8/94
In article <2gls8t$k...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dn...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Robert A. Mason) writes:
>Also, the person asked about FIXED....
>
>This is an EP of remixes and is still easily found in the popular
>CD format.

Um, the Fixed CD is no longer in print...and after trying to find a
copy for myself, I can say without reservation that it is NOT "easily
found." Heck, I ended up paying something like $9 for it because it is so
hard to find.

Cliff Chen
cl...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Patrick Sean McGuirk

Jan 8, 1994, 5:15:41 PM1/8/94

Actually, Robert got it right (halfway). Fixed is still pretty easy to
find [ie, Camelot carries it], but you'll be buying an import (unless you
happen to be from the UK, where they are printing it). If you can't find
it locally, it is a standard EP listed in mail order catalogs, check
Goldmine magazine too.
--
A .sig on one line. Who would have guessed? pmcg...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

o captain my captain

Jan 8, 1994, 6:41:03 PM1/8/94
i've been seeing tons of import copies of fixed. they look no different
from the one i have, they just cost about US$23.00 more. (watch, it'll be
some cool thing with dandy "extra" tracks or something...)

Robert A. Mason

Jan 8, 1994, 6:52:59 PM1/8/94

some dude said:"Um, the Fixed CD is no longer in print...and after trying to find a

copy for myself, I can say without reservation that it is NOT "easily
found." Heck, I ended up paying something like $9 for it because it is so
hard to find."

well.....i guess you know more than me then, thanx for the correction.
I just still see the CD at record stores all the friggin' time, so
I assumed it was easily available. They might have overstocked at
stores here in Cleveland since NIN is from here.

Internet Demonstration Account

Jan 9, 1994, 10:18:03 PM1/9/94
Ned Raggett (nara...@orion.oac.uci.edu) wrote:
: In article <2gisra$4...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,

four words: MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE

Susan Roston

Jan 9, 1994, 11:18:01 PM1/9/94
In article <CJE96...@cscns.com>,

Internet Demonstration Account <de...@cscns.com> wrote:
>Ned Raggett (nara...@orion.oac.uci.edu) wrote:
>: In article <2gisra$4...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
>: Christopher T Chiu <mitt...@athena.mit.edu> wrote:
>: >I recently bought "Broken" by Nine Inch Nails, and later heard that there was a special version of it with extra songs. Is this true?
>
>: Sort of. The extra songs are a cover of Adam Ant's "You're So Physical" and
>: a new version of "Suck", originally done for the first Pigface album.
>: However, the original pressings had both those songs on a 3 inch CD single.
>
>: >Also, can anybody tell me about the most recent NIN album, "Fixed"? I didn't even know that it had come out!
>
>: That was a limited edition thang that came out a couple of months after
>: "Broken" and consists of six remixes from that.
to be more exact, it was released in a 80,000 run dometically, and I think an
unlimited run foreign later on......

>: And while I'm on the subject, publicity goddess Lucinda at Interscope told
>: me the other day that we can FINALLY expect the new album, "The Downward
>: Spiral", in March. Took him long enough!
trent himslef was quoted as saying on prodigy(I read it) that downward spiral
will contain 12-15 songs, and be relaesed feb.15-mar.1.......

>four words: MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE

great band, I like trent's remixes of burn like brillinat
trash....concentration is good too, although I havn't heard the first album
yet.......UNCKLE EDGE

Ned Raggett

Jan 10, 1994, 1:21:20 AM1/10/94
In article <CJE96...@cscns.com>,
Internet Demonstration Account <de...@cscns.com> wrote:

>four words: MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE

A pale imitation. Though they did have the good grace to ask Reznor to
remix "Burn Like Brilliant Trash", and their new album is helping me
pass the time until March. I'm still surprised Roli Mosimann didn't
make "Concentration" sound noisier or made the beat stand out; we're
talking about a guy who produces the Young Gods!

as...@aurora.alaska.edu

Jan 10, 1994, 8:10:45 AM1/10/94
In article <2gn21k$m...@netnews.upenn.edu>, cl...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Cliff K Chen) writes:
> Um, the Fixed CD is no longer in print...and after trying to find a
> copy for myself, I can say without reservation that it is NOT "easily
> found." Heck, I ended up paying something like $9 for it because it is so
> hard to find.
>
> Cliff Chen
> cl...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Really? Bizarre...up here in Anchorage, it actually is fairly 'easy to find,'
as both locations of Mammoth Music (the local 'alternative' music store)
regularly have at least one copy on the shelves, and I even see it fairly
regularly at Camelot...

Tell ya what...anybody wants a copy, send me a check/money order made out to
either Mammoth Music or Camelot Records (saves you from worrying about my
cashing your check), and I'll send you a copy of Fixed...we can work out
postage later...

Woody

<email me (as...@aurora.alaska.edu, or possibly as...@acad3.alaska.edu [they're
changing the address]) for snailmail address>

Kevin K. Lewis

Jan 10, 1994, 9:43:06 AM1/10/94

Fixed is still readily available from Compact Disc Connection for
$10.45 US. It is listed as an import. I've never seen it, though,
'cuz I don't have it in any form.
--
Kevin K. Lewis | My opinions may be unreasonable
lew...@aud.alcatel.com | but such is the voice of inspiration

christopher williams

Jan 12, 1994, 2:31:07 AM1/12/94
In <LEWIKK.94J...@grasshopper.rdxsys> lew...@grasshopper.rdxsys (Kevin K. Lewis) writes:
>Fixed is still readily available from Compact Disc Connection for
>$10.45 US. It is listed as an import. I've never seen it, though,
>'cuz I don't have it in any form.

Hm, I don't -think- it's an import. Mine has a white sticker with this
[handwritten] on it: "Out of Print/Non-LP tracks".

(C) 1992, TVT Records. catalog number: IMCD 8005/514 321-2.

track listing:

1 gave up (remixed by coil with danny hyde)
2 wish (remixed by j.g. thirlwell)
3 happiness in slavery (remixed by t. reznor and chris vrenna with p.k.)
4 throw this away (assembled by t. reznor and c.vrenna with butch vig)
5 fist fuck (remixed by j.g. thirlwell)
6 screaming slave (reznor/vrenna/kennedy/beavan/brumbach/flanagan)

track 6 is worth $10.45 (or _whatever_ you pay for it) alone.

-cgw-

Lars

Jan 9, 1994, 11:29:37 PM1/9/94
mitt...@athena.mit.edu (Christopher T Chiu) writes:

> I recently bought "Broken" by Nine Inch Nails, and later heard that there was
>

> From a curious musician,
> Genghis
> mitt...@athena.mit.edu

well my copy of "broken"'s goes to track 99 which is the extra track or
secret song or whatever the hell you want to call it. I don't know what
/how they chose which CDs to put it on though......
Later
save

Adrian So
La...@sizone.pci.on.ca

Susan Roston

Jan 19, 1994, 11:39:13 PM1/19/94
In article <cgw.758359867@sol>, christopher williams <c...@unt.edu> wrote:
>In <LEWIKK.94J...@grasshopper.rdxsys> lew...@grasshopper.rdxsys (Kevin K. Lewis) writes:
>>Fixed is still readily available from Compact Disc Connection for
>>$10.45 US. It is listed as an import. I've never seen it, though,
>>'cuz I don't have it in any form.
>
>Hm, I don't -think- it's an import. Mine has a white sticker with this
>[handwritten] on it: "Out of Print/Non-LP tracks".
fixed was originally released domestically as a limited ed......80,000 or
something like that.....the import printing is done by island records....same
as the domestic....

>(C) 1992, TVT Records. catalog number: IMCD 8005/514 321-2.
>
>track listing:
>
>1 gave up (remixed by coil with danny hyde)
>2 wish (remixed by j.g. thirlwell)
>3 happiness in slavery (remixed by t. reznor and chris vrenna with p.k.)
>4 throw this away (assembled by t. reznor and c.vrenna with butch vig)
>5 fist fuck (remixed by j.g. thirlwell)
>6 screaming slave (reznor/vrenna/kennedy/beavan/brumbach/flanagan)
>
>track 6 is worth $10.45 (or _whatever_ you pay for it) alone.
>
>-cgw-

I mus agree whole-heartedly, screaming slave is one of the most incredible
songs I have ever heard.......edge