New USB Drivers for DOS

Richard Bonner

Nov 17, 2008, 1:14:03 PM11/17/08
Hello, All.

Recently I have been in touch with DOS program author Bret Johnson. I
learned from him that he is the midst of developing DOS USB drivers. As
any of you know that use the DI1000DD.SYS and USBASPI.SYS drivers, they
can recognise mass-storage devices such as external drives and flashdrives.
There is also a CD-ROM variation.

My complaint with these is that they must be loaded at system startup
and the USB device must be connected at that time. Changing devices or
unplugging and replugging the same device breaks the chain of recognition
and the system must be rebooted. There is also the fact that only one
device at a time may be used.

However, Bret's version is expected to:

* Be loadable/unloadable from the command line.

* Recognise multiple devices including other than mass-storage ones. The
latter encompass USB Hubs, Keyboards, Mice, Printers and Joysticks.

As I learn more, I shall post again.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Guy Macon

Nov 18, 2008, 9:54:55 AM11/18/08

Next time you talk with him, encourage him to test the drivers
on MS-DOS 6.22 and FreeDOS, latest version. Thanks!

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

Richard Bonner

Nov 18, 2008, 7:31:04 PM11/18/08
Guy Macon (http://www.GuyMacon.com/) wrote:

> Richard Bonner wrote:
> > Recently I have been in touch with DOS program author Bret Johnson. I
> >learned from him that he is the midst of developing DOS USB drivers.

(Snip)

> Next time you talk with him, encourage him to test the drivers
> on MS-DOS 6.22 and FreeDOS, latest version. Thanks!
> --
> Guy Macon

*** He will likely want users to try them and report back to him.
However, I shall pass that suggestion on to him. Thanks.