Bios ver?

Mark

Apr 17, 2002, 4:24:52 PM4/17/02
Is it possible to get info about the bios into a %%veriable??

this needs to be done from a DOS boot disk

any ideas??

Timo Salmi

Apr 18, 2002, 5:18:44 PM4/18/02
Mark <marksole...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to get info about the bios into a %%veriable??

Anything that can be produced as standard output on the screen can
be put into environment variables as covered by several examples in

222794 Apr 17 2002 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsbat.zip
tsbat.zip Useful batch files and tricks, linked from /pc/ts, T.Salmi

Easiest by gawk.exe The remaining, crucial question this is where I
do not an off-the-shelf answer is finding a suitable way / program
to output bios info.

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
mailto:t...@uwasa.fi <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

Andreas Kaestner

Apr 18, 2002, 8:29:13 PM4/18/02
Mark <marksole...@hotmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to get info about the bios into a %%veriable??
> this needs to be done from a DOS boot disk

Get "Bios" from http://www.geocities.com/mbockelkamp/

- Saving and restoring the BIOS settings
- Validating actual settings to saved settings
- Deleting the BIOS settings (there are some strange cases...)
- Displaying information about the BIOS, BIOS Extensions and
BIOS beepcodes
- Finding BIOS passwords for Award, Ami, Phoenix and AST BIOS
- Finding BIOS universal passwords for Award BIOS
- Dumping the whole BIOS segment to disk
- Switching the 1st and 2nd level caches on/off
- Turning the PC into Suspend or Stand-By mode (requires APM 1.1+)
- Turning off the PC (requires APM 1.2+)
- Rebooting the PC (cold/warm/int19)
- Freeware

--
Gruß, -- Bitte in der Newsgroup antworten
Regards, Andreas -- Please reply to the newsgroup

Franc Zabkar

Apr 19, 2002, 6:38:22 AM4/19/02
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:24:52 +0100, "Mark"
<marksole...@hotmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Is it possible to get info about the bios into a %%veriable??
>
>this needs to be done from a DOS boot disk
>
>any ideas??

The following debug sequence will retrieve the date stored at the top
of the BIOS code segment. Note that this date may bear no relationship
to the most recent BIOS flash date.

debug
-d ffff:5 c
FFFF:0000 30 37 2F-31 35 2F 39 35 07/15/95
-q

The following sequence writes the entire BIOS contents from F000 to
FFFF to a file named bios.bin:

debug
-n bios.bin
-rbx
BX 0000
:1
-w f000:0
Writing 10000 bytes
-q

You could check whether your BIOS manufacturer is AMI or Award using
routines such as the following:

debug
-s f000:0 ffff "AMIBIOS" (or Award or AWARD)
F000:F400
F000:F500
-q

-- Franc Zabkar

Please remove one 'g' from my address when replying by email.