It seems to look like a bug...

Sylvain

Jan 8, 2006, 4:09:46 PM1/8/06
Hello

Would you like to try this : ?

for /F "usebackq delims=." %i in ('d.e.f.g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u ') do
echo %i

Seems to be a bug, because I receive the following :

"
Le système ne peut trouver le fichier §?§?§??c
?.
"

Tried on a French version of Windows XP Pro.

Seems to be a stack overflow, because if you type

for /F "usebackq delims=." %i in ('d.e.f.g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u') do
echo %i

Nothing goes wrong (notice the last space char that is no more here in the
string).

Any clue ???

Yours,
Sylvain.

Phil Robyn

Jan 8, 2006, 7:28:02 PM1/8/06
Sylvain wrote:

It seems that in neither case did you use backquotes; at least, that's how it
shows up in my newsreader. backquote is ` but you used apostrophe '.

--
Phil Robyn
University of California, Berkeley

billious

Jan 8, 2006, 7:56:25 PM1/8/06

"Phil Robyn" <pro...@berkeley.edu> wrote in message

True.

Nevertheless, the string produced appears to be variable gobbledegook.
Repeatedly running the same line sometimes produces the same result as a
previous run and sometimes a whole new string of rubbish.

I'd suggest that it's a pointer that isn't initialised properly, but I
wouldn't go to war over my analysis (my trick cyclist might object.)

...Bill

David Trimboli

Jan 9, 2006, 10:56:55 AM1/9/06

I see this happen with or without the space included.

David
Stardate 6025.0

ten.n...@virgin.net

Jan 11, 2006, 6:20:08 AM1/11/06

Are you sure that you shouldn't be using this?
for %i in ('d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u') do echo %i