Bardelys The Magnificent Found in France?

craig

Oct 25, 2007, 10:28:05 AM10/25/07

Harlett O'Dowd

Oct 25, 2007, 10:56:38 AM10/25/07
On Oct 25, 10:28 am, craig <sle...@infionline.net> wrote:
> Saw this on Golden Silents
>
> http://blog.france3.fr/cinema-minuit/index.php/Les-cycles-du-cinema-d...

ooooh.

Bruce Calvert

Oct 25, 2007, 11:11:17 AM10/25/07
"craig" <sle...@infionline.net> wrote in message
news:1193322485.3...@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...According to the Silent Era website, approximately 30 minutes of this film
exist in a private collection.

http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/B/BardelystheMagnificent1926.html

--
Bruce Calvert
--
Visit the Silent Film Still Archive
http://www.silentfilmstillarchive.com

Danny Burk

Oct 25, 2007, 2:04:43 PM10/25/07
If true, it appears that this is most of the film. Here's a rather
choppy translation of the article, thanks to the Google translator:

First, great news! "Bardelys the Magnificent", the film shot in 1926
by King Vidor with John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman based on the
novel by Rafael Sabatini, was for years one of the films lost. Do
remained a sequence, super, which also saw the two main characters in
a boat over the water. And that was all. Well, today was found the
film - almost complete-in France!

You will have the opportunity to see next year in "Midnight Movie." It
is a great opportunity for all of us because we know each other from
the ravages whose film heritage has been the victim. That, in any
case, a film saved.

Eric Stott

Igenlode Wordsmith

Oct 27, 2007, 6:37:49 PM10/27/07
Harlett O'Dowd <chris.c...@worldspan.com> wrote in message <1193324198.7...@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>

> On Oct 25, 10:28 am, craig <sle...@infionline.net> wrote:
> > Saw this on Golden Silents
> >

> > http://blog.france3.fr/cinema-minuit/index.php/Les-cycles-du-cinema-de-minuit
>
> ooooh.

Oooh!

Has anyone heard any more about the "Four Devils" business, by the way?
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=1191948829....@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://ivory.150m.com/Tower/

Film fan filk: http://ivory.150m.com/Tower/Fiction/Filk.html

Darren

Oct 27, 2007, 10:02:07 PM10/27/07
Here is the copyright record...

BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT. 1926.
9 reels. Based on the novel by Rafael Sabatini.

Credits: Director, King Vidor; scenario, Dorothy Farnum.

Metro-Goldwyn- Mayer Corp.; 23Sep26; LP23140.

Darren

Harold Aherne

Oct 29, 2007, 1:49:08 PM10/29/07
> Google translation:

Eh bien! I can't resist the chance to translate this myself--the
Google translation is fairly accurate but needs some tidying.

"First, excellent news! 'Bardelys the Magnificent', the film made in

1926 by King Vidor with John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman based on the

novel by Rafael Sabatini, was for many years among the lost films.
There existed only one sequence, superb, in which we see the two
principal characters in a little boat floating with the current [see
footnote]. And that was all. Well, today, the film has been found--
practically complete--in France!

Thus it will be possible for you to see it next year at « Cinéma de
Minuit ». It's a great opportunity for all of us because we all know
the ravages to which film history has been victim. Here, at least, is
a film saved".

[«Au fil de l'eau» is an idiomatic phrase difficult to translate. I
haven't seen the clip in question but I don't doubt that it literally
refers to a boat floating along. Metaphorically, however, it can mean
"as the need arises" or "on an ad hoc basis".]

-Harold