Auckland Civic Theatre - largest surviving atmospheric cinema in Australasia

1 view

Darren

Jul 21, 2007, 3:08:15 AM7/21/07
Wikipedia says "Built in 1929 and featuring an India-inspired motif. Seating
2,750 viewers, it has recently (2000) been restored to near-original
condition."
http://www.civictheatre.co.nz/home_index.html

Do movie palaces get more beautiful than this??

Also, Michigan's Redford Theatre. http://www.redfordtheatre.com/

I can't get enough of these Atmospheric Theatres.

What are your favorites that you have been to?

Darren

Donald4564

Jul 21, 2007, 10:37:43 PM7/21/07
On Jul 21, 5:08 pm, "Darren" <dnemet...@charter.net> wrote:
> Wikipedia says "Built in 1929 and featuring an India-inspired motif. Seating
> 2,750 viewers, it has recently (2000) been restored to near-original
> condition."http://www.civictheatre.co.nz/home_index.html
>
> Do movie palaces get more beautiful than this??
>
> Also, Michigan's Redford Theatre.http://www.redfordtheatre.com/

> I can't get enough of these Atmospheric Theatres.
>
> What are your favorites that you have been to?
>
> Darren

In Australia we had a few Atmsopheric cinemas. Those that remain are
the former State, now the twinned Rapallo and Forum Theatres in
Melbourne and the Capitol Theatre in Sydney which was restorded about
10 years ago.

Regards
Donald Binks

Jerry

Jul 24, 2007, 7:58:02 AM7/24/07

While not an atmospheric theater, the old Victoria Theater on Victoria
Road in Devonport, New Zealand is being restored. Originally built in
1912 and remodeled several times, it seems unique in that it has three
screens on three different levels. Website: http://www.thevic.co.nz/
I think they are still accepting donations......

Jerry Rutledge
Minnesota