Anybody know about a Czech Film Museum or Archive?

TomTraubertsBlues

Nov 10, 2002, 9:47:47 AM11/10/02

I may be going to Prague in a couple months and I was wondering if there are
any places like MOMA or the LOC? If so, is the public allowed to look
around? Are there any other similar things to look at there? I do know
some Czech, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. Tks.

Mike

ChaneyFan

Nov 10, 2002, 12:48:13 PM11/10/02

There is certainly a major Czech Film Archive, but I don't have contact info
and don't know if they do any kind of public screenings or allow people in to
view the collection. There are certainly a lot of interesting things in their
collection. Here's a list of American silents for which there is no known
American archive with the same film in 35mm:

Title Year Studio
Adoration 28 FRNTL
Arab, The 24 ME-GL
Arizona Nights 27 RCPIC
Baree, Son of Kazan 18 VTAGR
Be My Wife 21 LINDR
Best Bad Man, The 25 FOX
Black Beauty 21 VTAGR
Black Paradise 26 FOX
Blue Streak McCoy 20 UNIV
Blue Streak, The 26 TLMDR
Bring Him In 21 VTAGR
Burning Daylight 20 METRO
Cabaret, The 18 WLDFC
Camille 15 SHUBT
Cherokee Kid, The 27 FBO
Circus Ace, The 27 FOX
Colleen 27 FOX
Crooked Streets 20 FPL
Cyclone Rider, The 24 FOX
Daddy's Gone a-Hunting 25 ME-GL
Days of Buffalo Bill 22 ?????
Desert Outlaw, The 24 FOX
Drifting 23 UNIV
Empire of Diamonds, The 20 PERRT
Flowing Gold 24 TULLY
Folly of Vanity 25 FOX
For Big Stakes 22 FOX
Fortune Hunter, The 27 WARNR
Fox, The 21 UNIV
Gasoline Gus 21 FPL
Glenister of the Mounted 26 GARSN
Good References 20 SCHNK
Greater than a Crown 25 FOX
Hardboiled 26 FOX
Helen's Babies 24 PRNCP
Honor Bound 28 FOX
Horse Shoes 27 BANKS
Hulda From Holland 16 FMPLY
I'll Show You the Town 25 UNIV
Lasca--Down by the Rio Grande 19 UNIV
Last of the Duanes, The 24 FOX
Les Miserables 18 FOX
Long Live the King 23 METRO
Love and the Devil 29 FRNTL
Luring Shadows 20 CATHL
Marriage by Contract 28 TF-ST
Marriage License? 26 FOX
Money Maniac, The 21 PERRT
My Own Pal 26 FOX
Name the Man 24 GLDPC
News Parade 28 FOX
No Man's Gold 26 FOX
North of Hudson Bay 24 FOX
Oh, What a Nurse! 26 WARNR
Outlawed 29 FBO
Overland Red 20 UNIV
Padlocked 26 FPL
Paid in Advance 19 UNIV
Ramona 28 INSPR
Road Demon, The 21 FOX
Romance Land 23 FOX
Rose o' Paradise 18 PRLTA
Rose of the Golden West 27 FRNTL
Roughneck, The 25 FOX
Snowblind 21 GLDPC
Soft Shoes 25 STELR
Son of the Golden West 28 FBO
Spoilers, The 23 HMPTJ
Stolen Bride, The 27 FRNTL
Summer Bachelors 26 FOX
Tell It to Sweeney 27 PAR
Temptation 23 CBCFS
Thief in the Dark 28 FOX
Thoroughbred, The 16 NYMP
Tony Runs Wild 26 FOX
Tough Guy, The 26 FBOA
Toys of Fate 18 SCRCL
Trouble Shooter, The 24 FOX
Wild West Romance 28 FOX
Yankee Senor, The 26 FOX
===============================
Jon Mirsalis
e-mail: Chan...@aol.com
Lon Chaney Home Page: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan
Jon's Film Sites: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan/jonfilm.htm

JMozart17561791

Nov 10, 2002, 1:21:51 PM11/10/02
Oooh,I see Connie Talmadge's film "Good References"(1920) is listed,which
didn't show up on the FIAF listing.

And I also see Nazimova's film Toys of Fate(1918) is listed also,which I
thought was lost.

Do you know the condition of these two films?

Best Wishes,
James

P.S. Thanks again Greta for sending me all of the FIAF listings.

Jessica

Nov 10, 2002, 3:25:20 PM11/10/02
"TomTraubertsBlues" <silentsa...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<03GdnVP1tPc...@comcast.com>...

Tom
I expect things have changed but I may be the only
"tourist" that every dropped in their unannounced. It was
late summer 89 when it was still a communist country
I had heard how great the archive was but it took a lot
of calls to both the czech tourist office and American embassy to
find out where it was. I finally got directions to its dreary suburban
location and went over. To say they were surprised to have
a "tourist" drop over would be an understatement ( and I don't speak
any Czech) When they asked what I wanted I tried explain
that I was just curious about their wonderful collection it did not
seem to
get over so I finally asked if they had the last reel of PATHS TO
PARADISE
They did not and I left. Perhaps if you can find an archive here
to give you some kind of letter and make an appointment you may
have better luck

Jessica

TomTraubertsBlues

Nov 10, 2002, 4:03:12 PM11/10/02
Thanks to Jon and jessica for the info.

Mike

Mile Films

Nov 11, 2002, 12:34:41 PM11/11/02
<< I may be going to Prague in a couple months and I was wondering if there are
any places like MOMA or the LOC? If so, is the public allowed to look
around? Are there any other similar things to look at there? I do know
some Czech, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. Tks. >><BR><BR>

Mike,
I believe this is what you're looking for:

http://www.nfa.cz/

Glad you know some Czech!
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
email: Mile...@aol.com
website: www.milestonefilms.com

William Ferry

Nov 11, 2002, 3:39:11 PM11/11/02
I know this is a serious thread, but I can't resist...

> Glad you know some Czech!
> Dennis Doros
> Milestone Film & Video
> email: Mile...@aol.com
> website: www.milestonefilms.com

Please be sure to screen the continental version of the Amos 'n' Andy hit
CZECH AND DOUBLE CZECH.

OK, I'm leaving now. ;-<
--
Yours for bigger and better silents,
Bill Ferry

Precode

Nov 12, 2002, 2:38:55 PM11/12/02
"William Ferry" <vze3...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<PzUz9.6886$TL6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

> I know this is a serious thread, but I can't resist...
>
> > Glad you know some Czech!
> > Dennis Doros
> > Milestone Film & Video
> > email: Mile...@aol.com
> > website: www.milestonefilms.com
>
> Please be sure to screen the continental version of the Amos 'n' Andy hit
> CZECH AND DOUBLE CZECH.
>
> OK, I'm leaving now. ;-<

Starring Danube Day-Lewis?

Mike S.

Stephen Cooke

Nov 12, 2002, 5:37:41 PM11/12/02

On 12 Nov 2002, Precode wrote:
> "William Ferry" <vze3...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<PzUz9.6886$TL6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> > I know this is a serious thread, but I can't resist...
> >
> > > Glad you know some Czech!
> >
> > Please be sure to screen the continental version of the Amos 'n' Andy hit
> > CZECH AND DOUBLE CZECH.
> >
> > OK, I'm leaving now. ;-<
>
> Starring Danube Day-Lewis?

Yes, he's very Praguematic.

swac
Off to the Greek restaurant to check out souvlakia.

ChaneyFan

Nov 13, 2002, 8:33:26 PM11/13/02
>>>Do you know the condition of these two films?

I never know the condition of what is in an archive unless I've seen it myself
or talked to someone who has. You always take pot luck.

Lokke Heiss

Nov 15, 2002, 2:49:02 AM11/15/02
> << I may be going to Prague in a couple months and I was wondering if there are
> any places like MOMA or the LOC? If so, is the public allowed to look
> around? Are there any other similar things to look at there? I do know
> some Czech, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I visited Prague at a very interesting time, about a year after the
fall of the Soviet empire, so it was a lot of fun to see all the
transitions: Lenin still up on many walls, but also posters
advertising 'favorite son' Kafka. In fact there were so many posters
of Kafka you'd think he was running for office.

The Prague film archive, as I understand it, is so well stocked
because it was the end of a distribution chain, a terminal city, for
movies being shipped around the world. Films arrived at Prague beat
up, and assumed not worth the value of shipping back. So a lot of
people there just kept them instead of throwing them out.

I visited the archive and they were very nice to me, but were not
organized in any way similar to say MOMA or the Munich archives, which
show a fairly full schedule of films most weeks. If you have a
particular film to want to see, you better let them know way ahead of
time. Of course that may have changed in the last six years. Nothing
like seeing Laurel and Hardy speaking to each other in jaunty Czech
intertiles.

Tommie Hicks, Jr.

Nov 16, 2002, 5:15:13 AM11/16/02
I saw the Arbuckle film GASOLINE GUS mentioned. I'm glad it is not
lost. Have any of you AMSer's seen this film? I have heard the rumor
over the years that this film actually had some slapstick in it. Is
this true?

Tommie Hicks

gardengoose

Nov 17, 2002, 3:26:23 AM11/17/02
> << I may be going to Prague in a couple months and I was wondering if there are
> > any places like MOMA or the LOC? If so, is the public allowed to look
> > around? Are there any other similar things to look at there?

Cannot help with the archive question but you might like to check out
the Lucerna Cinema in the centre of Prague.

This very early cinema theatre is in an arcade designed by the
grandfather of Vaclav Havel (of the same name). I did not manage to
see the interior due to time constraints, - it boasts Dolby stereo but
may not have been much altered otherwise. The exterior pay box and
associated bar are certainly worth a look.
Strangely the bar does not serve Czech beer!