Spectacular value for Warners silents

John Mc Keown

Jun 20, 2009, 9:49:18 AM6/20/09
The Warner Archive project has added another seven silent films to its
catalogue. This is great news in itself, but even better is Warner's new
bundle-scheme. They are putting together a number of themed sets; one for
Gary Cooper, one for Dick Powell/Ruby Keeler, another for Marie Dressler and
another for these new seven silents. The savings this way are 50%.

Here's the silent-bundle:

http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive-Silents-7-DVD-Collection/WASILENTS,default,pd.html?cgid=WACBUNDLE

$70 instead of $140. Unfortunately for me, the thing only ships to U.S.
addresses. I hope they change this soon. "It makes me very angry!" he said,
in his best Marvin the Martian impersonation.

John.

globular

Jun 21, 2009, 7:42:21 AM6/21/09
It must be something to do with DVD regions. Any US DVD store wouldn't
care about regions.

Harold Aherne

Jun 23, 2009, 6:33:05 PM6/23/09
On Jun 20, 7:49 am, "John Mc Keown"

<john.mcmenolikespamkeown...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> $70 instead of $140. Unfortunately for me, the thing only ships to U.S.
> addresses. I hope they change this soon. "It makes me very angry!" he said,
> in his best Marvin the Martian impersonation.
>
> John.

The first group of 150 Warner Archive titles are available on the TCM
website, which uses Movies Unlimited as the source of its DVDs and for
shipping. Their policies (http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/
orders.asp) indicate that they *do* ship internationally, and I see no
reason why they wouldn't ship the WA titles as well. It looks like
newer additions to the WA will appear on TCM's site 2-3 months after
their initial release (I'm just guessing, since "Thousands Cheer"
appeared on WB's site in mid-April and is listed for release on TCM's
site on 20 July).

The WA titles I've ordered so far have all met my expectations.
Generally they're derived from video masters prepared for TCM and thus
will look similar to what you see there (although someone at the Home
Theater Forum did an A/B comparison of the TCM broadcast of "Ice
Follies of 1939" and the WA disc, and the latter was a notch
superior). I have one slight caveat about "Love", the Garbo-Gilbert
picture from 1927: the score was recorded at a live presentation, and
the music is tastefully arranged--but the audience laughs at
inappropriate moments, which may jar some people's enjoyment of the
film. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with the transfer as far as I
can tell. And anyway, it seems unlikely that many of these titles
would ever get released otherwise, so I'm happy to have them
in this format.

-Harold

John Mc Keown

Jun 24, 2009, 12:26:35 PM6/24/09
Thanks for the information! I'll do my shopping there from now on ;)

Hopefully the bundle-deals will eventually come through to that web-site
too.

gerry

Jun 25, 2009, 10:53:07 PM6/25/09
On Jun 20, 9:49 am, "John Mc Keown"

<john.mcmenolikespamkeown...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> The Warner Archive project has added another seven silent films to its
> catalogue. This is great news in itself, but even better is Warner's new
> bundle-scheme. They are putting together a number of themed sets; one for
> Gary Cooper, one for Dick Powell/Ruby Keeler, another for Marie Dressler and
> another for these new seven silents. The savings this way are 50%.
>
> Here's the silent-bundle:
>
> http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive-Silents-7-DVD-Collection/WASILEN...

> $70 instead of $140. Unfortunately for me, the thing only ships to U.S.
> addresses. I hope they change this soon. "It makes me very angry!" he said,
> in his best Marvin the Martian impersonation.
>
> John.

DVDTalk has information on the one time only use coupon WBSURVEY7 that
gives you a 30% off discount at the WB Store. If you total bill is
over $60 (at least that is how it worked out for me), you get free USA
shipping, usually a $6.95 charge. So I ordered the silent 7 DVD set
plus another DVD reduced to $13.95.

For more info, go to:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/556451-wbshop-com-30-off-coupon-code.html