The End of ST. Petersberg 1927

steven patrick

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
I just watched my copy of this movie that was shown last night on
TCM,and I must say I'm very impressed with it's realism and
cinamatography.
Does any one know of any other Russian Silents that are good ? maybe
some russian fantasy films.
I know about the battleship Potemkin and I plan on renting it this
week,just wantin to know of any others.
thanks

Steven

"Do you recall Mrs. Spratt,
she yelled at us when we kicked her brat,
we bludgeoned her with a baseball bat...
when we were a couple of kids"

THE GHOUL BROTHERS-"GHOUL DAYS"

FilmGene

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
<<Does any one know of any other Russian Silents that are good ?>>

In the same vein, Pudovkin's "Mother" will not disappoint you. Also Avram
Room's "Bed and Sofa". Also Pudovkin's "Storm Over Asia". Dovzhenko's "Earth".
For fantasy check out "Aelita, Queen of Mars". In fact, check out Kino's entire
roster of silent Russian classics.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

Chris Dashiell

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98

> I just watched my copy of this movie that was shown last night on
> TCM,and I must say I'm very impressed with it's realism and
> cinamatography.
> Does any one know of any other Russian Silents that are good ? maybe
> some russian fantasy films.
> I know about the battleship Potemkin and I plan on renting it this
> week,just wantin to know of any others.
> thanks
>
> Steven

If you can find it, check out Vertov's THE MAN WITH A MOVIE
CAMERA. Amazingly inventive and fun.
Other suggestions: Pudovkin's MOTHER, Dovzhenko's EARTH,
and Eisenstein's OCTOBER.

Dashiell

ChaneyFan

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
>>>Does any one know of any other Russian Silents that are good ? maybe some
russian fantasy films.

My two favorites are THE HOUSE ON TRUBNAYA SQUARE and BY THE LAW. Also quite
good is THE NEW BABYLON if you can see it with the Shostakovitch score.
===============================
Jon Mirsalis
e-mail: Chan...@aol.com
Jon's Film Sites: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan/jonfilm.htm
Lon Chaney Home Page: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan

Michael Brunnbauer

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
ChaneyFan wrote:

> [...]

Fyodor Otsep's "Zhivoy trup" (1928) (The Living Corpse)

this is a great piece of work
beautiful, tragic and very funny !!

http://us.imdb.com/Title?Zhivoy+trup+(1928)

Ulrich Ruedel

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
hello

Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> Fyodor Otsep's "Zhivoy trup" (1928) (The Living Corpse)

..directed by Ozep with obvious input from Pudovkin....

> this is a great piece of work
> beautiful, tragic and very funny !!
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Title?Zhivoy+trup+(1928)

Beautiful and tragic certainly, funny I'm not sure...!
The restoration many years ago on German TV (ZDF) was terrific as it
featured the excellent original score by W. Schmidt-Boelcke (sp?).
Unfortunately this was replaced with a new score on a later subsequent
showing on 'arte'.
Also, I understand that the German film archive (BFA) has improved upon
the restoration by restoring the titles (electronically retouched only
in the TV version) and I think also finding better material.

This would make a terrific Kino in Video /Image LD/DVD release....

Uli

DShepFilm

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
<<
ChaneyFan wrote:

Fyodor Otsep's "Zhivoy trup" (1928) (The Living Corpse)

this is a great piece of work
beautiful, tragic and very funny !!

It is all of those things -- a magnificent film. It is also German, not Soviet.

David Shepard