FA: The Banned Ultraseven Episode

Jim in Seattle

May 22, 2002, 1:15:00 AM5/22/02
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689

ULTRASEVEN Episode #12, the BANNED episode of this Ultraman TV series. The
maker of the show, Tsuburaya Productions, has agreed to officially remove all
mention of this episode. As far as they are concerned, it does not exist. It
has been excised from the cannon, and is no longer shown in reruns. You cannot
find it mentioned in any Japanese books, and it is simply skipped over on
episode lists.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689

Fungusamungus

May 22, 2002, 2:23:03 AM5/22/02
So how many duplicate copies have you made off the master of this and sold
so far?

--
Fungus
Turn up the heat to reply!

"Jim in Seattle" <pet...@aol.comdotcom> wrote in message

Mark

May 22, 2002, 9:33:51 AM5/22/02
"Fungusamungus" <fungu...@warmmail.com> wrote in message news:<bPGG8.157953$YQ1.47...@typhoon.southeast.rr.com>...

Ok, I'll bite, why was it banned?

Mark

Jonathan Mock

May 22, 2002, 2:25:29 PM5/22/02
From: pet...@aol.comdotcom (Jim in Seattle)

> ULTRASEVEN Episode #12, the BANNED episode of this Ultraman TV series. The
> maker of the show, Tsuburaya Productions, has agreed to officially remove all
> mention of this episode. As far as they are concerned, it does not exist. It
> has been excised from the cannon, and is no longer shown in reruns. You cannot
> find it mentioned in any Japanese books, and it is simply skipped over on
> episode lists.
>
> http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689

But *why* was it banned?!

Lenell B.

May 22, 2002, 2:22:00 PM5/22/02
mto...@hotmail.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<11d4cee7.02052...@posting.google.com>...

> "Fungusamungus" <fungu...@warmmail.com> wrote in message news:<bPGG8.157953$YQ1.47...@typhoon.southeast.rr.com>...
> >
> Ok, I'll bite, why was it banned?
>
> Mark

Mark this will help.

The episode's title is called:

>From the Planet with Love: The villians: Alein Spell

The story centers about a race of aliens who's world was destroyed by
nuclear war. There was survivors but they have been iraddated and are
in
need of pure human blood to stay alive. They land of Earth to begin
their plans to steal the blood they need. Assuming human guise. The
Spell aliens uses one of their agents (a young man) to persude a woman
(played by Horoki Sakurai [Fuji of Ultraman fame] to pass out watches
women (whose blood is perfect for the alien's needs). These watches
can
drain a woman's blood out of their body into the watch (in crystal
form)
leaving the women in a death like state. This attracts the attention
of
the Ultra-Squad to investigate the situation. Ann Yuri (in the team)
knows the woman personally. However, the aliens make another
discovery.
They find out that children's blood is more richer then women's blood.
So they switch tactics to get children's blood by means of a little
boy
(who is the brother of the woman). The alien's stage a contest for a
group of kids which the prizes are the blood sucking watches. The
alien's would've succeeded if it wasn't for the Ultra-guard who foils
the attempt. As a last resort the Spell aliens sends one of their
agents
to destroy the Ultra-Guard but Ultra-Seven saves the day defeating the
blood sucking radiated aliens. The woman however, loses her "love"
after
she discovers his true intentions and with the Ultra-Guard destroys
the
spell agent.

Note: It was the radiation story of this episode that got this episode
banned. (The beings was in a war of nuclear weapons and was
transformed
by radiation) The ep was aired only once. However, it was never aired
again because a woman (who claimed she supported a group repensenting
radiation victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki) saw a synopsis of the
episodes story in one of the Ultra-monster books. She was outraged by
it
and organized protests against the episode's future airings. Amazing
she
won! Tsuburya as a result banned the episode from it's stable of
Ultra-saga. To this day it's still banned. Why this woman would have a
good episode like this banned doesn't make no sense. It's one of the
best episodes in the series of Ultra-Seven. Amazingly anything that
has
to do with human mutant deforming. usually gets banned by radiation
groups in Japan. Various t.v. show eps and movies like Matango was
banned.

Note: When T.N.T. had the rights to Ultra-Seven they had the episode!
It
was called: Crystallized Corpuscles

Last year I made a copy of BOTH the Japanese and American version to
this episode for my good friend Kieth Sewell who gave the copy to
Hiroko Sakurai (Fuji) who starred in the episode who was at Jim C.'s
AFFE convention last year as a guest. She was very happy to get one.
(Thanks to Kieth and Jim and myself Thanxs guys!)

I hope this helps.

Lenell B.

Fungusamungus

May 22, 2002, 3:50:23 PM5/22/02
click the link. He explains it on the ebay page.

--
Fungus
Turn up the heat to reply!

"Jonathan Mock" <jonath...@SPAMOFFukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

August Ragone

May 22, 2002, 4:12:29 PM5/22/02
mto...@hotmail.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<11d4cee7.02052...@posting.google.com>...

> Ok, I'll bite, why was it banned?

This from our website Henshin! Online -- it was originally run on
Arcadia Online, back in 1995 and then in Henshin! Newsletter in 1996:

THE ULTRA SEVEN FILES
Episode #12 is Missing!

Author: August Ragone

It has been noted in many Japanese publications concerning Tsuburaya
Productions' "Ultra Series" (which began with ULTRA Q and into history
with ULTRAMAN, both in 1966), when it comes to the third entry, 1967's
ULTRA SEVEN, Americans find it curious that episode #12 is never
listed in Japanese reference materials. No photos, no explanation,
nothing. Only rumors persist, concerning a certain "banning" of the
segment, but not what the circumstances were, or more importantly,
why?

According to Japanese sources, the episode in question -- directed by
Akio Jissoji (famous for the more eccentric episodes of ULTRAMAN, and
the more recent film TOKYO: THE LAST MEGALOPOLIS) and written by his
scribe of choice, Mamoru Sasaki (Nagisa Oshima's DEATH BY HANGING) --
ran several times in original reruns of the series in the late 1960s
and into 1970.

It was at about this time, that a children's book containing an entry
on the now-infamous episode, came to the attention of a woman involved
in an organization representing victims of the A-Bombings of Hiroshima
and Nagasaki. As she read her son's book, she became offended with the
episode's story concerning interplanetary nuclear war survivors -- who
invade the Earth in search of pure blood plasma to cleanse their
contaminated race. Notifying her organization, they rallied together
to halt further airings, publishing of photographic of informational
materials concerning the offending episode -- their argument was that
it made A-Bomb victims out to be monsters. (Even though they were not
related to a single victim of either bombings!) And they won.

Fortunately, this injunction could not effect Tsuburaya Productions'
overseas sales of the show -- and so, #12 "From Another Planet With
Love" was run during the 1974-75 broadcasts of ULTRA SEVEN in Hawaii.
But, the show did not make it to the mainland as planned, and #12 went
into limbo again.

I was able to see this "banned" episode ten years later in Japan,
courtesy a good friend with a bootleg VHS, a second or
third-generation copy from a 16mm source print. Upon viewing the
offending episode in Japan in 1985, I found it far from offending. The
plot seemed to recall Toho's 1957 classic THE MYSTERIANS, and loosely,
MATANGO. Unfortunately, all these years later, my memories of that
episode have gone hazy. TNT's 1990s mainland airing of ULTRA SEVEN did
not yield several episodes, but #12 was eventually screened in late
1995 -- exactly ten years from my first viewing.

A high school friend of the Ultra Garrison's Anne Yuri (Yuriko
Hishimi), Sanae (played by ULTRAMAN's Hiroko Sakurai), receives a call
from her brother's school, informing her that the young Hiroshi has
collapsed under mysterious circumstances. After he is determined to be
all right and that there are no medical complications, she scolds him
for wearing her watch to school without asking. The watch, given to
her by a new boyfriend, is now all the rage with young women; a watch
that is a common thread in a rash of mysterious deaths where the
victims have been drained of all their blood!

Ultra Garrison agents Dan Moroboshi (Koji Moritsugu), secretly Ultra
Seven, and Anne Yuri begin tailing Sanae in hopes that her "boyfriend"
will reveal information to them. Back at their Tokyo HQ, it is
revealed that the alien Spehl are not fond of courting young human
women and need to take more aggressive measures to preserve their
race. When Hiroshi's crystallized blood is analyzed, the aliens
discover that it has a much higher and stronger content than young
women. Now, they decide that they will just abduct a score of children
by luring them to their base of operations with an art contest.

The Ultra Garrison is able to thwart the Spehlian plan, so one of them
increases his size to challenge the interlopers, and a desperate
battle ensures between the humans and the dying race. At last,
Moroboshi transforms into Ultra Seven and enters the fray. Soon the
combined efforts of the Ultra Garrison and the hero from the stars are
able to stop the aliens in their tracks.

After the smoke clears, Dan Moroboshi hopes that one day, beings from
other worlds will be able to try to ask for help first, instead of
using aggression as a means to an end.

After this, the same "concerned group" managed to ban any video
releases of Toho's 1975 disaster epic THE PROPHECIES OF NOSTRADAMUS
(Nosutoradamasu-no Dai-Yogen aka Catastrophe: 1999) -- released on US
television as THE LAST DAYS OF PLANET EARTH because of scenes
featuring human survivors of the final nuclear holocaust. More
recently, I've received word that Toho's haunting 1963 film MATANGO
has been targeted by the same organization of oncerned citizens!
What's next? THE MYSTERIANS? THE H-MAN?

ULTRA SEVEN episode #12 "From Another Planet With Love" (Yusei-yori
Ai-o Komete), originally broadcast 12/17/1967, was the third
highest-rated segment, garnering a 32.8% share of the Japanese
television audience.

****

Keep watching Henshin! Online for more such articles:
http://www.henshinonline.com

Peace,
August

Mr Director

May 22, 2002, 7:29:46 PM5/22/02
I guess politicall correctness is the same type of cancer all over the
world.

"August Ragone" <kaij...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jim in Seattle

May 22, 2002, 9:17:04 PM5/22/02
<A
HREF="http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689">h
ttp://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689</A>

ULTRASEVEN Episode #12, the BANNED episode of this Ultraman TV series. The
maker of the show, Tsuburaya Productions, has agreed to officially remove all
mention of this episode. As far as they are concerned, it does not exist. It
has been excised from the cannon, and is no longer shown in reruns. You cannot
find it mentioned in any Japanese books, and it is simply skipped over on
episode lists.

<A
HREF="http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689">h
ttp://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689</A>

Jim in Seattle

Joseph Goodman

May 22, 2002, 10:56:16 PM5/22/02

"Mr Director" <mrdir...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> I guess politicall correctness is the same type of cancer all over the
> world.

So is top-posting...

Show Desktop.scf

OtiGoji

May 22, 2002, 11:38:14 PM5/22/02
> lenellbs hoped this helped:

>The episode's title is called:>>From the Planet with Love
>The ep was aired only once.

>When T.N.T. had the rights to Ultra-Seven they had the episode!

>It>was called: Crystallized Corpuscles

I taped it off T.N.T. so that's how I got the "banned" episode.

Confused in Bronson Caves,
Otius "I ran out of gas in my lawnmower years ago" Gojius

Bokman7757

May 23, 2002, 10:26:38 AM5/23/02
>From: pet...@aol.comdotcom (Jim in Seattle)

>http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1537603689

>ULTRASEVEN Episode #12, the BANNED episode of this Ultraman TV series. The
>maker of the show, Tsuburaya Productions, has agreed to officially remove
>all
>mention of this episode. As far as they are concerned, it does not exist.
>It
>has been excised from the cannon, and is no longer shown in reruns. You
>cannot
>find it mentioned in any Japanese books, and it is simply skipped over on
>episode lists.

How on earth did this end up in the "House and Home" section?

TwoZbar

May 26, 2002, 10:38:27 AM5/26/02
lene...@ameritech.net (Lenell B.) wrote:

>Last year I made a copy of BOTH the >Japanese and American version to this
>episode for my good friend Kieth Sewell >who gave the copy to Hiroko Sakurai
(Fuji) >who starred in the episode who was at >Jim C.'s AFFE convention last
year as a >guest. She was very happy to get one.
>(Thanks to Kieth and Jim and myself >Thanxs guys!)

You're welcome, although Ms. Sakurai already had the episode; there are many
fans in Japan that have both the Japanese and US versions on video. Ms.
Hishimi has both as well; when I met her, she asked why her character's name
was changed to "Donna" in the US version.

- Jim C.

Lenell B.

May 27, 2002, 2:29:43 AM5/27/02
two...@aol.com (TwoZbar) wrote in message news:<20020526103827...@mb-fw.aol.com>...

> lene...@ameritech.net (Lenell B.) wrote:
> >
> >Last year I made a copy of BOTH the >Japanese and American version to this
> >episode for my good friend Kieth Sewell >who gave the copy to Hiroko Sakurai
> (Fuji) >who starred in the episode who was at >Jim C.'s AFFE convention last
> year as a >guest. She was very happy to get one.
> >(Thanks to Kieth and Jim and myself >Thanxs guys!)
>
> You're welcome, although Ms. Sakurai already had the episode; there are many
> fans in Japan that have both the Japanese and US versions on video.

ok,

Ms.
> Hishimi has both as well; when I met her, she asked why her character's name
> was changed to "Donna" in the US version.

Did you tell her? Give us the details.;-)

Later

Lenell B.

> - Jim C.

TwoZbar

May 30, 2002, 6:21:56 AM5/30/02
lene...@ameritech.net (Lenell B.) wrote:

>Did you tell her? Give us the details.;-)

I have no idea why they bothered to change an already Western-sounding name
like Anne to Donna, excepting of course that the Canadian dubbing crew were a
bunch of idiots. #12 is one of the few episodes that was actually dubbed
competently.

- Jim C.

jdlees

May 30, 2002, 12:20:37 PM5/30/02
two...@aol.com (TwoZbar) wrote in message news:<20020530062156...@mb-mk.aol.com>...

>the Canadian dubbing crew were a
> bunch of idiots.

I heard they had actually tried out for the Australian dubbing team
first, but weren't good enough. - J.D.

Lenell B.

May 31, 2002, 2:12:55 AM5/31/02
two...@aol.com (TwoZbar) wrote in message news:<20020530062156...@mb-mk.aol.com>...

> lene...@ameritech.net (Lenell B.) wrote:
> >
> >Did you tell her? Give us the details.;-)
>
> I have no idea why they bothered to change an already Western-sounding name
> like Anne to Donna, excepting of course that the Canadian dubbing crew were a
> bunch of idiots.

I don't think so. The REAL idiots are Turner, who did the following:

1. Kept the show frozen in a vault for many years.
2. Showed them totally out of order
3. Lost over 10 to 15 epiosdes to it
4. Edited the show's violent parts
5. Put the show at the sorriest of time slots 5am/6am and sometimes
12am (as filler for short.
6. I think the dubbing was decent, but the gliches was stupid.

Well, they did only ONE thing good. They showed it (cough).

Hope this helps.

Lenell B.

#12 is one of the few episodes that was actually dubbed
> competently.

Great gem too!

TwoZbar

May 31, 2002, 8:30:57 AM5/31/02
john...@mb.sympatico.ca (jdlees) wrote:

>I heard they had actually tried out for the >Australian dubbing team first,
but weren't >good enough. - J.D.

If a Dubbing Olympics were to be held, you'd be hard pressed to find a team
decent enough to win the gold.

I still don't understand why people complain about G2000's US dub when compared
to the abominable Heisei Godzilla and Mothra series films.

- Jim C.

TwoZbar

May 31, 2002, 8:43:18 AM5/31/02
lene...@ameritech.net (Lenell B.) wrote:

>I don't think so. The REAL idiots are >Turner, who did the following:

I do think so. While not to excuse Turner's mishandling of the program, the
horrible English dubbing is the real reason that UltraSeven failed on US
television.

The "humorous" dialog was pathetic and had they truly wished to take this
approach, it should have be left to professionals that actually know how to
write comedy. Episode 12 is the standout example where they decided to leave
the story alone and do it straight.

There was actually very little continuity between the episodes, so only fanboy
geeks would care if the series was shown out of original order. I doubt
Ultraman would have been as successful as it was had it been dubbed as a joke,
too.

- Jim C.

Jonathan Mock

May 31, 2002, 12:42:38 PM5/31/02
Yeah, but *why* was it banned?

Simple explantaion please!

Wolf

May 31, 2002, 9:02:53 PM5/31/02
> Yeah, but *why* was it banned?
>
> Simple explantaion please!

Portrayals of radiation-deformed beings don't go voer terribly well in
Japan.

--
|\-/|
<0 0>

jdlees

May 31, 2002, 9:57:06 PM5/31/02
two...@aol.com (TwoZbar) wrote in message news:<20020531083057...@mb-fx.aol.com>...

> I still don't understand why people complain about G2000's US dub when compared
> to the abominable Heisei Godzilla and Mothra series films.

I agree 100%. There was some ludicrous story that computer imaging
would be used on the actors' lips in G2000 to make them match the
English dialog (maybe I read that in G-FAN???). It seems that's the
only thing that MIGHT satisfy some people.

I didn't care for the dubbing in Gamera GOTU either, though, because
it seemed to have been done by hyper anime voice actors. It works with
cartoons, but not so well with real people. And G2000 avoided that
pitfall, too. - J.D.

Ol' BattleMonkey

May 31, 2002, 11:47:12 PM5/31/02
Jonathan Mock wrote:

> Yeah, but *why* was it banned?
>
> Simple explantaion please!

It was banned for the same reason "Last Days of Planet Earth"
disappeared from Japan. After the war, radiation victims were more or
less a no-no in Japanese pop cinema (but serious films, like Black Rain,
are a different story), and Ultra-Seven played a little too close to the
atomic fire for that particular episode.

--Keith

Joseph Goodman

Jun 1, 2002, 9:25:16 AM6/1/02

> I agree 100%. There was some ludicrous story that computer imaging
> would be used on the actors' lips in G2000 to make them match the
> English dialog (maybe I read that in G-FAN???).

Sounds like someone mis-interperating the WordFit software, which I believe
only automatically alters the timing (and maybe the pitch) of dialogue to
fit the mouth movements better.

Jonathan Mock

Jun 3, 2002, 5:01:46 AM6/3/02
From: "Wolf" <wrbu...@mtu.edu>

> > Yeah, but *why* was it banned?
> >
> > Simple explantaion please!
>

> Portrayals of radiation-deformed beings don't go voer terribly well in
> Japan.

Oh.

I thought perhaps there was nudity or the monsters starting banging away
like a outhouse door in a storm.