Toho's upcoming DVD lineup!

Ryuusei Productions

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00

See? What did I tell you? Toho IS coming out with DVDs!

Remember when someone here made a stupid assumption that went something
like "The US DVD release of G2000 will come out in Summer 2001, and then the
Toho DVD for GXM will come out in December of 2001, and then the US DVD for GXM
will come out in Summer 2002, and so on!" I'm already laughing at that
kindergarten book report!

Look! Look! Does THIS look like we may never see DVDs from Toho? Look
at the below article, dammit! I told you that they've got more titles coming
out! They've already begun to come out with DVDs! December is where it all
begins!

From Fandom.com
----------------------------
"Godzilla" DVD News and Updates!
Author: Aaron Smith
Date: 9/21/00

For those lucky enough to have region free DVD players Toho announced a great
line up for their first set of DVDs. On December 21 they will release GODZILLA
2000 MILLENNIUM (10,000yen), and then on February 21, 2001 they are releasing
the original GOJIRA (1954), RODAN (1956), and THE THREE TREASURES (1959) which
I believe are 6,000yen each. They will be region 2 encoded and Japanese only I
presume. More info when available.

In addition Amazon.com has the American DVD release of GODZILLA 2000 pegged for
December 26, but the recent chat with Michael Schlesinger who is overseeing the
project said the DVD would be out in January. More info when available.
-------------

John "I'm already feeling like Harlan Ellison" Cassidy

John Cassidy (Daijirou Ryuusei),
Ryuusei Productions
Richmond, VA
JonR...@aol.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tatsuman/index.html

"I think they're asking for a hiney whoopin'!" -Buttercup, THE POWERPUFF
GIRLS

August Ragone

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <20000921210423...@ng-da1.aol.com>,
atra...@aol.com (Atragon1) wrote:

> Ok... here is the big question....
>
> Will their be English subs on G54, Rodan and The Three Treasures.....?
>
> I hope.. I hope... I hope...

Nope. Would be nice, but its HIGHLY doubtful.

--
August Ragone
Kaiju Productions

August Ragone

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <8qelto$f5o$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Greasyfries"
<greas...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Some R2-Japan anime DVD's are starting to include English dubs, at least.

There are some R2 Japanese DVDs with English subtitles, too. Nothing
kaiju, I'm afraid.

> Though, I doubt Toho would do that for these first few releases (do the
> films in question even HAVE "official" Toho English dubs?).

Yes. Those are the usually ear-bleeding "International Versions"...

Atragon1

Sep 21, 2000, 9:04:23 PM9/21/00

Greasyfries

Sep 22, 2000, 12:05:48 AM9/22/00

> Nope. Would be nice, but its HIGHLY doubtful.
>
> --

Some R2-Japan anime DVD's are starting to include English dubs, at least.

Greasyfries

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
> > Some R2-Japan anime DVD's are starting to include English dubs, at
least.

> There are some R2 Japanese DVDs with English subtitles,

Do you (or anyone else in this group) have an opinion on the quality of
these English subs?

too. Nothing
> kaiju, I'm afraid.

I could've sworn I read that the GAPPA DVD had an English track on it... not
like that matters much, since it'll be coming out in the US in December.

On the subject of Japanese sci-fantasy DVD's, are the Starman shorts on DVD
yet? I saw "coming soon"-type advertisements for Starman DVD's in an issue
of UCHUSEN I was flipping through at a Tower Records, but I can't read
enough Japanese to make sense of the whole ad.

> > Though, I doubt Toho would do that for these first few releases (do the
> > films in question even HAVE "official" Toho English dubs?).
>

> Yes. Those are the usually ear-bleeding "International Versions"...

I know about the "International" dubs for the later films, but did G'54,
RODAN, and THE THREE TREASURES (the films being released on DVD in Feb.)
have "International" dubs made for them? Of course, even if they did, that's
no guarantee anyone's heard them recently...

Also on the subject of "International" dubs (for people who don't know what
we're talking about, these are official English dubs produced by Toho,
usually using English speakers living in Japan, or outsourced to studios in
Hong Kong. They are often different than the dubs heard in the US, and they
usually REALLY SUCK!), does the "International" version of MONSTER ZERO
("Invasion of the Astro-Monster") actually feature a different dub than the
US release, or is it the same dub, just with the uncut movie?

Splitting my tangents into seperate paragraphs due to my habit of writing
long sentances, there are some entries we don't usually hear of having
"International" dubs, like "Godzilla vs. The Thing" or "Frankenstein
Conquers the World". But it just wouldn't make sense for Toho to have only
some of their genre films from this period dubbed by William Ross or in Hong
Kong, and not these films or others. Have alternate English dubs of the two
films mentioned above ever turned up in other English-speaking countries,
under alternate titles, perhaps? In another newsgroup
(rec.arts.movies.tech), some guy mentioned seeing MOTHRA in Hawaii, and he
said specifically that it WASN'T the US theatrical dub.

Damon B.

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

"Greasyfries" <greas...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > > Some R2-Japan anime DVD's are starting to include English dubs, at
> least.
> >
> > There are some R2 Japanese DVDs with English subtitles,
>
> Do you (or anyone else in this group) have an opinion on the quality of
> these English subs?

I just watched the Japanese DVD of OWLS' CASTLE (aka FUKUROU NO SHIRO, big
budget ninja film from Masahiro Shinoda) and the English subtitles were very
good. They even subtitled most of the credits!

Damon B.

August Ragone

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
In article <8qf29j$fl9$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Greasyfries"
<greas...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Do you (or anyone else in this group) have an opinion on the quality of
> these English subs?

They are good...

> I could've sworn I read that the GAPPA DVD had an English track on it... not
> like that matters much, since it'll be coming out in the US in December.

I think that's the Media Blasters' version.

> On the subject of Japanese sci-fantasy DVD's, are the Starman shorts on DVD
> yet? I saw "coming soon"-type advertisements for Starman DVD's in an issue
> of UCHUSEN I was flipping through at a Tower Records, but I can't read
> enough Japanese to make sense of the whole ad.

Already released. The preorder date was in June, and it came out in July.
Got my copy the same day as the Japanese street date. Pretty cool.

> I know about the "International" dubs for the later films, but did G'54,
> RODAN, and THE THREE TREASURES (the films being released on DVD in Feb.)
> have "International" dubs made for them? Of course, even if they did, that's
> no guarantee anyone's heard them recently...

I think the first dubbing Toho attempted were in 1959 or 1960.

> Also on the subject of "International" dubs (for people who don't know what
> we're talking about, these are official English dubs produced by Toho,
> usually using English speakers living in Japan, or outsourced to studios in
> Hong Kong. They are often different than the dubs heard in the US, and they
> usually REALLY SUCK!), does the "International" version of MONSTER ZERO
> ("Invasion of the Astro-Monster") actually feature a different dub than the
> US release, or is it the same dub, just with the uncut movie?

Right. Toho actually farmed all of it out; some was done in Tokyo by
American expatriate Bill "Dr. Schmidt" Ross' outfit (later called Frontier
Enterprises), and the rest was done in Hong Kong.

> Splitting my tangents into seperate paragraphs due to my habit of writing
> long sentances, there are some entries we don't usually hear of having
> "International" dubs, like "Godzilla vs. The Thing" or "Frankenstein
> Conquers the World". But it just wouldn't make sense for Toho to have only
> some of their genre films from this period dubbed by William Ross or in Hong
> Kong, and not these films or others. Have alternate English dubs of the two
> films mentioned above ever turned up in other English-speaking countries,
> under alternate titles, perhaps? In another newsgroup
> (rec.arts.movies.tech), some guy mentioned seeing MOTHRA in Hawaii, and he
> said specifically that it WASN'T the US theatrical dub.

Right. I'm sure that pretty much EVERYTHING from 1959-on was dubbed at the
request of Toho (only to be redubbed by Titra). Many of these films were
shown in other English speaking countries like the Phillipines... I have
an theater ad clipping from a Honolulu newspaper for DESTROY ALL MONSTERS,
a year before AIP released it!

Peace Out,

August Ragone

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
In article <WoNy5.619$td5.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>, "Damon B."
<mobil...@home.com> wrote:

> I just watched the Japanese DVD of OWLS' CASTLE (aka FUKUROU NO SHIRO, big
> budget ninja film from Masahiro Shinoda) and the English subtitles were very
> good. They even subtitled most of the credits!

Great DVD, cool movie!

Greasyfries

Sep 23, 2000, 12:05:41 AM9/23/00
> > Do you (or anyone else in this group) have an opinion on the quality of
> > these English subs?
>
> They are good...

Groovy.

> > I could've sworn I read that the GAPPA DVD had an English track on it...
not
> > like that matters much, since it'll be coming out in the US in December.
>
> I think that's the Media Blasters' version.

I wonder if it'll be just a straight port of the Japanese DVD, just with
English menus.

> Already released. The preorder date was in June, and it came out in July.
> Got my copy the same day as the Japanese street date. Pretty cool.

On the subject of Starman (which I've never seen in ANY form), were they
actually filmed in any sort of widescreen process, and do these new discs
reflect that?

> Right.

So is the International MONSTER ZERO actually a different dub than the US
one?

Toho actually farmed all of it out; some was done in Tokyo by
> American expatriate Bill "Dr. Schmidt" Ross' outfit (later called Frontier
> Enterprises), and the rest was done in Hong Kong.

It seems that Toho started out using a Hong Kong source (early 60's films
like SECRET OF THE TELEGIAN and MATANGO feature some of the same voices as
the later 70's Hong Kong dubs), and around '64 switched to using Ross's
company. Then, around '72, someone at Toho blacklisted Ross (according to
Ross himself), so they went back to using Hong Kong sources. That sound
accurate? It'd be neat to learn the names of some of those anonymous HK
voices, particularly the "Secretary Kabota" guy...

> Right. I'm sure that pretty much EVERYTHING from 1959-on was dubbed at the
> request of Toho (only to be redubbed by Titra).

...Or the voices UPA used! Can't the voices of Mr. Magoo and Robby the Robot
be heard in the UPA dubs?

Many of these films were
> shown in other English speaking countries like the Phillipines...

I actually know of a place in the US, right in my backyard in fact, where a
curious fan just may be able to hear these alternate dubs, but I ain't
telling where, yet...(gotta see for myself, you know?)

I have
> an theater ad clipping from a Honolulu newspaper for DESTROY ALL MONSTERS,
> a year before AIP released it!

.gif! .gif!

http://greasyfries.50megs.com

August Ragone

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
In article <8qha9i$ajt$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Greasyfries"
<greas...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it'll be just a straight port of the Japanese DVD, just with
> English menus.

Maybe Jim C. can answer that...

> On the subject of Starman (which I've never seen in ANY form), were they
> actually filmed in any sort of widescreen process, and do these new discs
> reflect that?

If memory serves me correctly, only the last chapter, "Kingdom of the
Poison Moth," was shot in widescreen aspect ratio; the rest were shot in
academy aspect ratio.

> So is the International MONSTER ZERO actually a different dub than the US
> one?

Yes. Nick Adams is dubbed as well by another actor.

> It seems that Toho started out using a Hong Kong source (early 60's films
> like SECRET OF THE TELEGIAN and MATANGO feature some of the same voices as
> the later 70's Hong Kong dubs), and around '64 switched to using Ross's
> company. Then, around '72, someone at Toho blacklisted Ross (according to
> Ross himself), so they went back to using Hong Kong sources.

Sounds right.

> It'd be neat to learn the names of some of those anonymous HK
> voices, particularly the "Secretary Kabota" guy...

Actually, if you look up Hong Kong Chop Socky references, you will find
them -- straight away -- these are the same fellers who dubbed scores and
scores of Kung Fu films. But still, you can recognize Kubota's dubber as
the same feller who provided the voice for the villain in the early Jackie
Chan vehicle SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW, among hordes of others.

> > Right. I'm sure that pretty much EVERYTHING from 1959-on was dubbed at the
> > request of Toho (only to be redubbed by Titra).
>
> ...Or the voices UPA used! Can't the voices of Mr. Magoo and Robby the Robot
> be heard in the UPA dubs?

I don't remember who did Robby's voice; but, I doubt that Jim Backus did a
day's work on a UPA Godzilla film. Although it would be cool to be proven
wrong.

> I actually know of a place in the US, right in my backyard in fact, where a
> curious fan just may be able to hear these alternate dubs, but I ain't
> telling where, yet...(gotta see for myself, you know?)

Private e-mail, please... ;)

> > an theater ad clipping from a Honolulu newspaper for DESTROY ALL MONSTERS,
> > a year before AIP released it!
>
> .gif! .gif!

As soon as I get a scanner that works...

Peace Out,

OtiGoji

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
>kaijupro wrote:

>I don't remember who did Robby's voice;

Marvin Miller ("Real stuff?") also did the Orson Welles-esque narration for the
prologues to Gigantis, The Fire Monster and Gorath.

>I doubt that Jim Backus did a
>day's work on a UPA Godzilla film.

...And I doubt it too!

Otius " ...it requires to be still further and more familiarly enlarged upon,
in order to be adequately understood, and moreover to take away any incredulity
which a profound ignorance of the entire subject may induce in some..." Gojius

AMVaquer

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
>>I doubt that Jim Backus did a
>>day's work on a UPA Godzilla film.
>
>...And I doubt it too!

Can you imagine Professor Yamane with a Jim Backus-dubbed voice of Mr. Magoo?

Armand Vaquer

Greasyfries

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
> > So is the International MONSTER ZERO actually a different dub than the
US
> > one?
>
> Yes. Nick Adams is dubbed as well by another actor.

Just like Tamblyn in the International WOTG...

> I don't remember who did Robby's voice;

Marvin Miller was the name I think.

>but, I doubt that Jim Backus did a
> day's work on a UPA Godzilla film. Although it would be cool to be proven
> wrong.

Heh, maybe he just did five minutes' work!

> > I actually know of a place in the US, right in my backyard in fact,
where a
> > curious fan just may be able to hear these alternate dubs, but I ain't
> > telling where, yet...(gotta see for myself, you know?)
>

> Private e-mail, please... ;)

Coming up...

Greasyfries

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00

> Can you imagine Professor Yamane with a Jim Backus-dubbed voice of Mr.
Magoo?

> Armand Vaquer

Couldn't be any worse than the Elmer Fudd-like voice that he was dubbed
with...

August Ragone

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
In article <8qj268$7i2$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Greasyfries"
<greas...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > > So is the International MONSTER ZERO actually a different dub than the
> > > US one?
> >

> > Yes. Nick Adams is dubbed as well by another actor.
>
> Just like Tamblyn in the International WOTG...

Right.

> > I don't remember who did Robby's voice;
>
> Marvin Miller was the name I think.

YES! He also did the voice for Captain Okita in the feature film version
of SPACE CRUISER YAMATO (1977)... for Bill Ross, no less!

> >but, I doubt that Jim Backus did a
> > day's work on a UPA Godzilla film. Although it would be cool to be proven
> > wrong.
>
> Heh, maybe he just did five minutes' work!

Could be! ;)

Very interesting...

Atragon1

Sep 23, 2000, 9:57:22 PM9/23/00
Oh...Dr Serizowa, you've dont it again...

bcm...@my-deja.com

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
In article <kaijuproductions...@ppp-asfm13-159.sirius.net>,
kaijupro...@sirius.com (August Ragone) wrote:

> > So is the International MONSTER ZERO actually a different dub than
the US
> > one?
>

> Yes. Nick Adams is dubbed as well by another actor.

Huh?

While yet another dubbed version of MZ is possible, the International
version on TV & video in the UK is the same dubbing as the US. It
includes all the footage edited out of UPA's version and has a dialog
exchange between Takarada & Adams (in his own voice) that's not in the
US version. Curiously Takarada's line in this scene is left in undubbed
Japanese.

Brian C.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

bcm...@my-deja.com

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

In article <8qf29j$fl9$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
"Greasyfries" <greas...@my-deja.com> wrote:

Largely speculating as usual, here are some thoughts on International
dubbing?

> does the "International" version of MONSTER ZERO

> ("Invasion of the Astro-Monster") actually feature a different dub
than the

> US release, or is it the same dub, just with the uncut movie?

The one playing on British TV & video (in a package including other
Godzilla films with International dubs) is the uncut Japanese version
with the US dubbing. August seems to know of another dubbed version that
I?m not familiar with.

> I know about the "International" dubs for the later films, but did G'54,
> RODAN, and THE THREE TREASURES (the films being released on DVD in Feb.)
> have "International" dubs made for them? Of course, even if they did,
that's
> no guarantee anyone's heard them recently...

I?ve heard rumors that another dubbed version of RODAN exists.

> there are some entries we don't usually hear of having
> "International" dubs, like "Godzilla vs. The Thing" or "Frankenstein
> Conquers the World". But it just wouldn't make sense for Toho to have only
> some of their genre films from this period dubbed by William Ross or
in Hong
> Kong, and not these films or others. Have alternate English dubs of
the two
> films mentioned above ever turned up in other English-speaking countries,
>under alternate titles, perhaps?

I?m not aware of non -Titra dubbing for either of these films. I?m going
to try and compile a list of Toho genre films which have known
International dubs and post it in a couple of days.

The inconsistency concerning why Toho dubs some films and not others may
stem from the fact that many of their films are co-productions or are
purchased for English release before they undertake their own foreign
dubbing.

I?m beginning to believe that Int. dubs the first five Godzilla films
don?t exist. It seems that they would have surfaced somewhere by now if
they did. Also, the US rights to these films were all snapped up pretty
early (even though development hell kept GIGANTIS from release for 4
years) and these rights usually included all non-Asian distribution. If
Toho did dub them there would be nobody to sell them to. William Ross is
on record as stating that he only dubbed the trailer for KING KONG VS.
GODZILLA.

I also suspect that no Int. dub of GODZILLA?S REVENGE exists either.
Toho did very little to sell this film outside of Japan and America.

Similarly, I don?t think Int. dubs exist for FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE
WORLD, KING KONG ESCAPES or LATITUDE ZERO. All were entered as
co-productions with the West, and again the Western rights usually
included all non-Asian countries.

The one Int. dub I suspect exists that I?ve never seen is for YOG
MONSTER FROM SPACE. The portions of the US credits sequence that don?t
reference AIP or Titra appear to be from an International version print.

>In another newsgroup
> (rec.arts.movies.tech), some guy mentioned seeing MOTHRA in Hawaii, and he
>said specifically that it WASN'T the US theatrical dub.

I don?t know why Toho would have bothered since Columbia bought the
world rights before the film was completed. But still, by my above
rationale there should be no William Ross dub for WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS,
yet it exists.

Greasyfries

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

>LATITUDE ZERO...

...Was filmed in English to begin with, so there'd have been no point in
dubbing it (except to make some of the non-English speakers more
comprehensible!).

http://greasyfries.50megs.com

Bob Johnson

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

"August Ragone" <kaijupro...@sirius.com> wrote in message

I read somewhere that the Professor strung two coconuts together with the
transistor radio and one of Ginger's bra straps to make a primitive
transmitter that Jim Bacus was able to use to dub films from the island...

Or maybe I dreamed it...

--
Bob Johnson

Henshin! Online
www.fandom.com/godzilla/henshin.htm

www.corecomm.net/bigknif1

http://community.webshots.com/user/bigknif

GO GIANTS!!

OtiGoji

Sep 25, 2000, 12:30:17 AM9/25/00
>BigKnif wrote:

>Professor strung two coconuts together

Yeah, I saw the two coconut shell halves strung together on Faro Island. I
don't blame Backus for trying to transmit using that pair!

August Ragone

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
In article <8qle0c$22s$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bcm...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Huh?

INVASION OF THE ASTROS. RIght?

August Ragone

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
In article <8qoq82$tfj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bcm...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <kaijuproductions...@ppp-asfm05-055.sirius.net>,

> kaijupro...@sirius.com (August Ragone) wrote:
> >
> > INVASION OF THE ASTROS. RIght?
>

> Yes. You or someone you know has seen a version with a different English
> voice track?

I've seen clips from it -- about 15 years ago in Japan -- and the voice
wasn't Nick Adams...

bcm...@my-deja.com

Sep 25, 2000, 8:22:45 PM9/25/00
In article <kaijuproductions...@ppp-asfm05-055.sirius.net>,
kaijupro...@sirius.com (August Ragone) wrote:

> INVASION OF THE ASTROS. RIght?

Yes. You or someone you know has seen a version with a different English
voice track?

Brian C.

bcm...@my-deja.com

Sep 25, 2000, 8:33:27 PM9/25/00
As promised, here?s a list of known International English dubs of Toho
genre films. Films are listed by their International titles and in some
cases I had to guess at them. Additions and corrections are welcome.

All are Hong Kong dubs except for:
GG = Glen Glenn Sound
WR = William Ross/Frontier Enterprises

GODZILLA FILMS:
Invasion of the Astro Monster (GG)**
Ebirah Horror of the Deep (WR)*
Son of Godzilla (WR)*
Destroy All Monsters (WR)*
Godzilla vs. Hedora *
Godzilla vs. Gigan ***
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
The Return of Godzilla *
Godzilla vs. Biollante ***
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Godzilla Millenium 2000 *

OTHER TOHO GENRE FILMS:
The Secret of the Telegian
Matango
Space Monster Dogora
War of the Gargantuas (WR)*
Evil of Dracula
Lake of Dracula
Catastrophe 1999 ++
Espy
The War in Space
Magnitude 7.9 +++
Gunhed
Yamato Takeru
Rebirth of Mothra
Rebirth of Mothra 2
Rebirth of Mothra 3

* = Different Dub used for original US Release
** = An alternate dub without Nick Adams? real voice may exist
*** = A shelved alternate US dub MAY exist
++ = The International Version of this film seems to be about 25 minutes
shorter than the Japanese general release version
+++ = An imdb review claims that a Titra dub of this film exists

August Ragone

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
In article <8qrf08$op2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bcm...@my-deja.com wrote:

> What was the source of the clips and how much of the film running time
> was included? Could it have just been part of a dubbed trailer like the
> one for KING KONG VS. GODZILLA?

This was shown to me at the home of a private collector/fan in Tokyo,
sometime in late 1985. It was part of the entire film that was shown to
me. I was only shown a couple of scenes, and I don't know more than what I
have told you. Sorry. I really wish that I knew more.

> I suppose another International dub isn't out of the question, but
> currently Toho is using UPA's voice track. I have to admit there's
> something fishy about this version though. There are a couple of places
> where Japanese dialog is left in and some but not all of the sound and
> music edits reflect the US version instead of the Japanese. It's almost
> as if Toho did some kind of patchwork English reconstruction combining
> US and Japanese audio tracks. As usual, this is speculation, and I'm not
> sure this is really what happened.

Is this the same version shown on UK television, and released on home
video there as well? I never bothered to see a copy.

Regards,

bcm...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 8:29:03 PM9/26/00
In article <kaijuproductions...@ppp-asfm11-149.sirius.net>,

> I've seen clips from it -- about 15 years ago in Japan -- and the voice
> wasn't Nick Adams...

What was the source of the clips and how much of the film running time
was included? Could it have just been part of a dubbed trailer like the
one for KING KONG VS. GODZILLA?

I suppose another International dub isn't out of the question, but

currently Toho is using UPA's voice track. I have to admit there's
something fishy about this version though. There are a couple of places
where Japanese dialog is left in and some but not all of the sound and
music edits reflect the US version instead of the Japanese. It's almost
as if Toho did some kind of patchwork English reconstruction combining
US and Japanese audio tracks. As usual, this is speculation, and I'm not
sure this is really what happened.

Brian C.

OtiGoji

Sep 26, 2000, 11:40:43 PM9/26/00
>bcmann wrote:
><kaijuproductions...@ppp-asfm11-149.sirius.net>,
> >
>> I've seen clips from it -- about 15 years ago in Japan -- and the voice
>> wasn't Nick Adams...
>

>Could it have just been part of a dubbed trailer

I was wondering the same thing. I've seen a variety of different trailers
including some for TV. I wondered if one of those might have dubbed Nick's
voice.

Ryuusei Productions

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00

"Greasyfries" greas...@my-deja.com wrote:

>It seems that Toho started out using a Hong Kong source (early 60's films
>like SECRET OF THE TELEGIAN and MATANGO feature some of the same voices as
>the later 70's Hong Kong dubs),

So did some of the Gamera films, only GAMERA VS. GUILLON was most probably
dubbed in Japan (I suspect this because Officer Kondou wouldn't be called
"Kon-chan" by any other dubber I know). This is the print Sandy Frank released
(he only dubbed GAMERA and GAMERA VS. ZIGRA).

and around '64 switched to using Ross's
>company. Then, around '72, someone at Toho blacklisted Ross (according to
>Ross himself), so they went back to using Hong Kong sources. That sound
>accurate?

Hmmm . . . Pretty mixed up, but accurate.

It'd be neat to learn the names of some of those anonymous HK
>voices, particularly the "Secretary Kabota" guy...

I could swear that the voice actor for Secretary Kubota from GODZILLA VS.
GIGAN sounded an awful lot like British actor Francis Matthews, who was in some
Hammer horror movies (including DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS and THE REVENGE OF
FRANKENSTEIN) and also did the voice of the title character of the
Supermarionation series CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS!

Hope this provides a clue!