What are your interests!

RastaMTB

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
A while back, someone posted a request to start a thread about the various
interests each of us have besides the given love for MTB and the places the
"obsession" takes us. I'll start...(I don't mean to make it one of the holiday
time "newsletters" often recieved) but here goes!!.

Rasta loves to cook...YES MON...everything from breakfast to dinner!!
I love to cook and watch the look on the faces of those attending one of my
feasts. The most often heard comment by guests: " Do you eat this way
everyday...can I come over for LEFTOVERS!" My favorite "specialties" include
(in no special order) Omelets, Oven baked Herb Potatoes, anything with my
homegrown Macadamia nuts, Rugelach (look it up!!), Jerk spiced ANYTHING!, and I
love to BBQ a big hunk of king salmon!!

My wife and I also obsess in the garden. Maybe related to my love of DIRT!!
Growing 1)Edibles: Snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, corn, macadamia nuts,
oranges, peaches, plums, thornless boysenberrys, pineapples (actual cuttings
from the hawaiian tourist bring homes!) and a huge herb gardens , formerly my
front lawn, including 8 different types of thyme, 3 oreganos, 7 types of sage,
4 different lavenders, 9 varieties of mint and more and 2)Ornamentals: Roses,
Plumeria, dozens of odd & strange cacti & succulents, epiphilliums, bromiliads
(did you know pineapples are related to bromiliads??) Staghorn ferns. I have a
worm/compost pile that yields the very rich soil. I dump almost anything
organic into the compost!

Rasta is a big lover of music, Reggae is my favorite close second is the Rock
of the late 60's-70's I grew up with! The Who, Allman Bros, Steely Dan,
Traffic, Cream, The Dead and Santana (Santana is the BOMB for high paced MTB
action, Oh YEAH!!)

Rasta also is very interested in worldwide travel, leaning toward the regions
that I can wear a bathing suit or riding shorts all year!! A Bachelor of
Science from San Diego State University 1980 in Geography/Economics. Geography
is all about TRAVEL!!! YES MON, I have 4 years of college, spent most of it
dreaming of those faraway places! ( And a sheepskin to prove it!!)

Rasta cherishes the physical! I am a late bloomer, but bloomed none the less.
I went through High School watching the rest bang their heads together playing
football & other team sports. Nothing wrong with team sports, just not for
Rasta. I discovered physical fitness in college thru a martial arts program
(Tang Soo Do). Started in 1978 in what was a college required 2 units to
graduate evolved into a real love of the art, the Korean Master instructor
(since passed away 1985) and the hardcore discipline it took to go through his
training. Now back at it full time with my son. I am very proud of his
efforts. He works hard and he is very proud to have a father that is an "old
time" black belt. As I tell him and others "I am NOT a black belt, I am a just
another PERSON that earned a black belt throught commitment and persistance.
Anyone can do it, only have to want to!" I must admit, the karate training has
helped me in all facets of daily life, from discipline, persistence,
commitment, self motivation and just plain oldgetting "tuff'ined up"

Most important interest is my family, incredible wife and son. Mother & father,
yes Rasta is very thankful for having parents still alive and close (live 1
mile away, can be a PITA). The brothers (2) and sister, all have high degree
of mutual respect for each other............

My work, selling real estate...well got ta love it too, with dedication and
high work ethic, I make a comfortable living and have much free time for the
reat of my interests....most of all MTB!!!!

Now maybe you know more about Rasta, how about youz guyz??

Posts your interests and then get out and ride....Yes MON!! RIDE!!

RastaMTB rides................

Jim Lane

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Yo mon, would you like a chili plant or two? Habanero? Pepin?

jim
a chilihead mountain biker

On 16 Jan 1999 06:20:27 GMT, rast...@aol.com (RastaMTB) wrote:

SNIP

>My wife and I also obsess in the garden. Maybe related to my love of DIRT!!
>Growing 1)Edibles: Snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, corn, macadamia nuts,
>oranges, peaches, plums, thornless boysenberrys, pineapples (actual cuttings
>from the hawaiian tourist bring homes!) and a huge herb gardens , formerly my
>front lawn, including 8 different types of thyme, 3 oreganos, 7 types of sage,
>4 different lavenders, 9 varieties of mint and more and 2)Ornamentals: Roses,
>Plumeria, dozens of odd & strange cacti & succulents, epiphilliums, bromiliads
>(did you know pineapples are related to bromiliads??) Staghorn ferns. I have a
>worm/compost pile that yields the very rich soil. I dump almost anything
>organic into the compost!

SNIP

Daniel Fortin

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
RastaMTB wrote:

> Rasta loves to cook...YES MON...everything from breakfast to dinner!!
> I love to cook and watch the look on the faces of those attending one of my
> feasts. The most often heard comment by guests: " Do you eat this way
> everyday...can I come over for LEFTOVERS!" My favorite "specialties" include
> (in no special order) Omelets, Oven baked Herb Potatoes, anything with my
> homegrown Macadamia nuts, Rugelach (look it up!!), Jerk spiced ANYTHING!, and I
> love to BBQ a big hunk of king salmon!!

Daniel loves to cook also... maybe we should get together some day and prepare a
feast for the MTB gang... My specialties include Cajun Jambalaya, Chili, Couscous
Royal (with lamb and Mergez Sausages), Sea food Pasta, Paėla, and to finish it all,
my very own "Creme Brulee". BBQ is also on the menu of course... I think this is
driven by my absolute passion for eating good food.

> My wife and I also obsess in the garden. Maybe related to my love of DIRT!!
> Growing 1)Edibles: Snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, corn, macadamia nuts,
> oranges, peaches, plums, thornless boysenberrys, pineapples (actual cuttings
> from the hawaiian tourist bring homes!) and a huge herb gardens , formerly my
> front lawn, including 8 different types of thyme, 3 oreganos, 7 types of sage,
> 4 different lavenders, 9 varieties of mint and more and 2)Ornamentals: Roses,
> Plumeria, dozens of odd & strange cacti & succulents, epiphilliums, bromiliads
> (did you know pineapples are related to bromiliads??) Staghorn ferns. I have a
> worm/compost pile that yields the very rich soil. I dump almost anything
> organic into the compost!

No, this is not one of mine...

> Rasta is a big lover of music, Reggae is my favorite close second is the Rock
> of the late 60's-70's I grew up with! The Who, Allman Bros, Steely Dan,
> Traffic, Cream, The Dead and Santana (Santana is the BOMB for high paced MTB
> action, Oh YEAH!!)

I listen to a lot of old classic stuff (which I grew with!), like Led Zep, Pink
Floyd, Queen, King Crimson, Santana, Clapton, Gentle Giant, etc. Mix it up with new
stuff, like the Cranberries, Counting Crows, REM, Live and Pearl Jam. I also have a
crush on women singer/song writers, like Sarah McLaughlin, Loreena McKennit, Tori
Amos, Jewel and Tracy Chapman.

> Rasta also is very interested in worldwide travel, leaning toward the regions
> that I can wear a bathing suit or riding shorts all year!! A Bachelor of
> Science from San Diego State University 1980 in Geography/Economics. Geography
> is all about TRAVEL!!! YES MON, I have 4 years of college, spent most of it
> dreaming of those faraway places! ( And a sheepskin to prove it!!)

I also am interested in worldwide travel, bud have done it mostly through my work.
I am a graduate in Information Systems from 1982, and worked on IS projects in many
different places (Montreal, Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, Winnipeg, St-Louis, Los
Angeles, Boulder CO, Kansas City, Paris France and Washington DC. Have'nt done
much for my own pleasure... yet.

> Rasta cherishes the physical! I am a late bloomer, but bloomed none the less.
> I went through High School watching the rest bang their heads together playing
> football & other team sports. Nothing wrong with team sports, just not for
> Rasta. I discovered physical fitness in college thru a martial arts program
> (Tang Soo Do). Started in 1978 in what was a college required 2 units to
> graduate evolved into a real love of the art, the Korean Master instructor
> (since passed away 1985) and the hardcore discipline it took to go through his
> training. Now back at it full time with my son. I am very proud of his
> efforts. He works hard and he is very proud to have a father that is an "old
> time" black belt. As I tell him and others "I am NOT a black belt, I am a just
> another PERSON that earned a black belt throught commitment and persistance.
> Anyone can do it, only have to want to!" I must admit, the karate training has
> helped me in all facets of daily life, from discipline, persistence,
> commitment, self motivation and just plain oldgetting "tuff'ined up"

I've played competetive Baseball, Hockey, and Football at a younger age. But
cycling has always been an important part of my life, since I was 14 or 15 years
old. In 1976 and 1977, we used to organize dirt races on 3-4 km loops in swampy
areas on our single speed "Mustang" bikes (banana seats, high riser bars, 16"
frames, 16 or 18" knoby tires). I road biked until last year, and took up Mountain
Biking 3 or 4 years ago.

> Most important interest is my family, incredible wife and son. Mother & father,
> yes Rasta is very thankful for having parents still alive and close (live 1
> mile away, can be a PITA). The brothers (2) and sister, all have high degree
> of mutual respect for each other............

Parents are still alive and live 40km from here. Brothers and sister are also close
by. Also had an older brother (Michel) who was killed by a drunk driver while
riding back home from his summer job...

I've been separated (and then divorced) for a couple of years. I have four GREAT
kids who live half the time here, the other half with their mother. My older son
(16 soon) his a computer addict, and also comes Mountain Biking with me on my
sunday morning rides. My daughter (13 next month) has the mind of an artist (in
deeply into Oil painting) and also wants to get into MTB. My two younger boys (9
and 7) are both BMX enthusiasts... and baseball players/fans.

> My work, selling real estate...well got ta love it too, with dedication and
> high work ethic, I make a comfortable living and have much free time for the
> reat of my interests....most of all MTB!!!!

My work, Project Manager for IBM Global Services, building and delivering
Information Systems solutions. Unfortunately, it does not allow has much free time
as you seem to have, but all the time I have goes into MTB and the kids (not
necessarily in that order...)

> Now maybe you know more about Rasta, how about youz guyz??

Now Rasta knows a little more about Daniel (who his currently burried under the
45cm of snow that fell on the Montreal region in the past 24 hrs...).

> Posts your interests and then get out and ride....Yes MON!! RIDE!!
>
> RastaMTB rides................

Daniel, who would do anything to ride right now... going cross-country skiing this
afternoon (on one of my favorite MTB trail).

Kathleen

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Cool thread idea, Rasta.

In my current incarnation I am a stay-at-home mother of two amazing kids; Elaine, age 8 and Julian, age 4.  Previously I spent 11 years in the accounting and finance department of one of our fine local hospitals.  I resigned 3 years ago from my position as controller of the hospital based home health agency in order to raise my family.  I still accept the occasional freelance project from my former employers, the most recent being financial report writing to assist during a system conversion, and I will most probably re-enter the work force part-time when my son starts grade school.

I volunteer at my son's preschool, and in my daughter's regular class and her gifted education class.  I know the teachers appreciate the help, but more than that, it helps me understand what's going on in my kids' lives.  I've been a regular there for three years now, and school sometimes asks me or one of the other mom helpers to come in on extra days if there's going to be a substitute teacher.  Some of the rowdier kids have a tendency to want to ride roughshod over the subs, but if one of the moms is there, all it takes is a hand on the back of their neck and a single whispered sentence to settle them down....."Jarod, do you really think I won't tell your mom how rotten you were to the sub?"  Dirty pool, but it works every time.

Like Rasta, I love to cook, and I also have my own herb garden.  There's nothing like stepping outside your front door to gather fresh rosemary, basil, thyme and sage for homemade pizza.  It smells so wonderful out there, that some evenings I'll sit out there and just breath it all in.  Although I have no cat of my own, I also grow catnip and keep my friends and neighbors' kitties supplied with fresh herb (the neighborhood catnip dealer, that's me).  I often find one or another of the local tabbies camped out in the middle of the plants, blissfully stoned.  Catnip makes a tasty and soothing tea for humans, but unfortunately, we apparently lack the chemical receptors that make it so intoxicating to cats.

Our family also includes two twelve-year old Border Collies, Connor and Molly.  I love them dearly, they were my babies before I ever had my kids, but I cannot in good conscience recommend them as house pets.  They are a working breed, with the strength, energy, intelligence and endurance to herd hundreds of sheep all day, every day.  In a suburban setting, they become bored and neurotic, and all that intelligence is turned to mischief.  They dig, yap, pace, break fences, chew, and generally turn into the dogs from hell.  My mother does Border Collie rescue work, fostering and finding homes for BCs rescued from local pounds and animal shelters, and the rescue groups are overwhelmed with dogs turned in by people who had no idea what they were getting into when they got their sweet little black and white puppy.  A word to the wise:  if you don't have sheep (or other livestock), don't buy a sheep dog.  It's sort of like buying a Lamborghini to drive to church on Sunday...and even that doesn't cover the shame of it - a car doesn't care if it doesn't get driven...these dogs NEED to work.

I come from a family of artists.  My grandfather was a painter.  I have his artwork on my walls.  My father sculpts in metal. I do stained glass - I paint with light..  Dan built me a wonderful workshop downstairs, with a light table, and a workbench tall enough that I don't have to lean over while I work.  I design my own patterns, and I love seeing a project coming together under my hands.  I don't have as much time to work with it as I used to, but I continue to buy and hoard beautiful pieces of art glass for future projects.  I have several examples of my work around the house, but all my very best pieces have been given to friends and family as gifts, which I guess is the way it should be.

I was also a late bloomer physically.  A serious case of Osgood Schlatter's disease (a softening of the end's of the bones in the knees) kept me out of gym class from 4th grade through 8th grade.  Having a mother who was a nurse and seriously traumatized by her own ill health also served to convince me that I was in some way frail physically.  Then I got to high school and discovered that I was not only healthy, but also strong.  Three years on the long distance squad on the track team built strength and endurance, and taught me that not all types of pain will kill you.  It also trashed my ankles and left me with gippy knees.  Two years ago, I took up mountain biking at my husband's urging.  I got hooked on the first ride, and the rest is history.

Kathleen

Han Kim

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Ah, but this would shatter our idealized images of each other......

My interests have really went topsy turvy in recent years. My wife and I had our
first child, my son Cameron, at about the same time I started my Ph.D. program in
epidemiology here at UW (pronounced U-dub; now you can be a local!). This has had
the effect of ripping through the fabric of reality in my life. I spend my time
studying genetics and risk factors of colon cancer. Don't worry, just eat lots of
veggies, preferably raw, avoid burnt meat, and be physically active, and if you're
over 45 or so, bend over and take it like a man every year. This field is kinda odd
for me, since my BS is in mechanical engineering at Michigan. This isn't the first
huge change in my life, and it won't be the last.

So my son takes up most of my time, along with my research. I used to be an avid
ultimate frisbee and soccer player, as well as some pickup basketball, but the
lifetime limited warantee on my knees expired. However, one of my interests
outside of biking is in skiing, mostly telemark, usually backcountry. Did a lot of
that in Utah, here in Seattle it's like skiing on concrete. I haven't even been out
yet this year. I also try to rock climb. Utah was great if you loved the
outdoors; I can ski at Alta in the morning, skiing perfect corn, then drive down
the canyon and go bouldering, and then get my bike out and bike singletrack the
rest of the day down near the valley. I've also been involved in martial arts most
of my life, like Rasta. Mostly Tae Kwon Do (I am Korean, it's pretty much
required) and recently Wing Chun and Aikido. Very relaxing mentally, allows me to
keep some sanity. Most recently, I have taken up sailing, and what a blast! Being
propelled by the wind silently across the waves, it is so different than anything
motorized. My goals are to sail to the San Juans, Vancouver, and maybe all the way
up to Alaska (bet there's some mountain biking up there). I'll have to fit my
Yakima rack on a sailboat.

My non athletic interests are in music (I play classical guitar, or I try to
anyways). I have similar musical tastes to Rasta as far as rock, but after that my
interests are more classic jazz and classical, especially Baroque and modern
composers (I've been on a Copland and Gershwin kick lately). My other hobby is
photography, mostly 35mm (I'd love to try large format, can anyone give a newbie
some hints on trying it out?) and B/W. I love good movies. I love books. Like
Rasta, I enjoy cooking, but find little time for it nowadays. Luckily my wife
Linda is a wonderful Korean cuisine cook, even though she is mostly Italian. Oh,
and I try to catch fish with a stupid piece of feather and a skinny rod that's way
too long. Those fish mock me, I know it. Sometimes I wish I had explosives, or at
least some powerbait.

Otherwise, I try to stay out of people's way (unless they get in my way and need a
kick in the ass) and try to leave the planet a better place than I found it. The
biggest challenge to that is raising kids. It's a truly awesome responsibility,
one that I hope I live up to.

Still in the deepend,

Han

bdb...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
In article <36a058fb.1769843@news>,

jml...@home.com (Jim Lane) wrote:
> Yo mon, would you like a chili plant or two? Habanero? Pepin?
>
> jim
> a chilihead mountain biker

I believe the proper chili for jerk rub is scotch bonnet (not that I've ever
made any jerk rub that was edible!).

Blaine

bdb...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Well, this is an interesting off-season thread. I've enjoyed reading the ones
so far; sort of feels like I know everyone better.

I'm sort of a vagabond when it comes to interests, and whatever I write will
be slightly different from what it was last year or what it will be the next.
There are some common themes, though (other than mountain biking, of course).

I've always liked music, but my tastes tend to vary wildly. Steely Dan is
always a favorite, and the soul tunes from back in the '70s (War, Sly & the
Family Stone) is stuff I still love. Lately, I've been taking up Hawaiian
slack key guitar, which (for you guitar afficionadoes) involves open tunings,
finger-picking, lots of hammer-ons, hammer-offs, slides & harmonics. I
personally play virtually every day, though I really have little talent. I
also have been enjoying latino tropicale music since my visit to Puerto Rico
last year, but I don't speak Spanish so I don't really know who the good
artists are.

My cooking is sort of like my guitar playing; I do it all the time but I'm
not very good at it. I enjoy cooking, partly because the food in the Pacific
Northwest is terribly bland (I came here from Texas), but I'm yet to be able
to consistently churn out tasty food. My wife is Korean, and the stuff she
cooks is fairly frightening to the average American (I can't eat it, either).
I enjoy the flavors of Jamaica, Cuba, Southwestern US, & Indonesia. Recipies
are always welcome (I need help!).

I've traveled around a lot, for various reasons. I've lived in Korea visited
at least 10 other countries. I've been to Hawaii like 8 or 9 times, I can't
recall the exact number. I've lived in over a dozen states in the US, and
visited almost all of them.

My job is computer networking, and I seem to be strangely good at it (which
is nice considering how lame I am at my hobbies). I have a CCIE
certification; for those not familiar, it involves two days of an extremely
difficult lab with a failure rate of over 80%. I actually did quite well;
guess us mountain bikers aren't so dumb after all.

I have one child, a 9-year-old daughter, currently recovering from our last
downhill ski outing.

That's enough about me. Hope someone finds it interesting. Its good to hear
from you all.

Trekkie Dad

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
In article <19990116012027...@ng-ce1.aol.com>,
rast...@aol.com (RastaMTB) wrote:

> A while back, someone posted a request to start a thread about the various
> interests each of us have besides the given love for MTB and the places the
> "obsession" takes us. I'll start...(I don't mean to make it one of the
holiday
> time "newsletters" often recieved) but here goes!!.
>
> Rasta loves to cook...

Trekkie Dad loves to eat. He's especially fond of Chinese food, which (of
course) he eats with chopsticks like a true Californian. He's willing to
try most anything, and the hottest food he had (and liked) was the jerk
chicken at Killer Chicken in South lake Tahoe.

> Rasta is a big lover of music

Trekkie Dad is a musician with a Master of Music degree. He's pretty much
a classical singer, but has been known to entertain children while
accompanying himself on the guitar. He sings in the choirs at Temple
Israel and Central Methodist Church. He also plays keyboard, though not
particularly well.

> Rasta also is very interested in worldwide travel

Trekkie Dad went to Europe on two concert tours (1983 and 1993) with the
California Choral Company.

> Rasta cherishes the physical!

Trekkie Dad was a brainy kid with a heart murmur, not much into physical
pursuits. But cycling has put him into the best shape of his life. He
rides with mountain bikers and roadies, and enjoys both pretty much
equally.

> My work, selling real estate...

Trekkie Dad is an educator...which means long summer vacations. He used to
be a classroom teacher; now he supports his colleagues as a program
specialist.

TD has a wife and two teenage boys, dogs, cats, friends, and three bikes.

> RastaMTB rides................

And hopefully Rasta and Trekkie Dad will ride together in the near future.

--
Trekkie Dad | ICQ #14818568 | trekk...@yahoo.com
World Without Cars Dictionary (updated December 27, 1998) at

Mr. Shaner

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Mr. Shaner's Likes :

Women
Snowboarding
Mountain Biking
Women
Breasts
Camping
Rock Climbing
Squash (the game, not the vegetable)
Boobs

Mr. Shaner's dislikes:

Traffic jams
Waiting for service in a restaurant
bible thumpers
foggy windows in my truck
tornadoes
smoking
hangovers
fat ass mountain bikers who think hardtails are the bomb

mr. chris

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
mr chris likes:

mtbeing
trail building
Indian food (all hot foods pale in comparison)
Belgium beer and chocolate
http://www.enteract.com/~icebike
http://www.scots.com
coffee
assorted arts, crafts and erotica...

mr chris dislikes:

wankers

--
Get a cuppa cawfee
N' give my foot a push...

mr. chris

Cindy

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Hi... I suppose I will stop lurking and come out in the light... :)

I love to mountain bike and it has totally changed my lifestyle. I was
a very sedentary person until about 2 years ago when I discovered the
adrenaline rush of riding downhill and the secondary adrenaline rush of
having people at the bottom say "wow, you shred". :) It has been the
the only activity ever to keep me interested for so long, and I have
lost 60 pounds and 6 sizes while doing it. (yay!!) I went riding today
with my 8 year old daughter, on her first 'real' mountain bike ride.
(she shreds, too, so far)

So besides mountain biking, I like to go camping, but hardly can find a
weekend to do it. I spend a lot of time traveling in the summer, as I
only work ten months a year at a school district. I am in charge of
professional development and integration of technology in my district.
I coach soccer for my daughter's team and help out with my son's team,
too. My kids are my major hobby :) At 8 and 5, they are a blast. I
read, and mess around on my computer way too much, and I love to go out
to eat. (not a great cook, though).

Nice to meet you all :)

Cindy

Michael Sparling

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
Everyone has some great things to say and be interested in! Mine seem boring
by comparison, but I thought I'd add my $0.02, just so somebody else might
not be to intimidated!!

Passions - my wife of 12 years and I recently had our first child, a son
named Nathaniel. He is now 4 months old, and we are typical new parents, so
don't even ask much about him, or you'll get far more than you planned
for!!!

I work for Mickey D's - manage the restaurant in Deer Lodge, MT. I commute
30 miles each way, which may seem tame to the SoCal folks, but is a huge
commute for MT. I've worked for McD's since high school.

Hobbies - MTB, obviously. Took up road biking two years ago. For those that
haven't tried, I truly recommend road biking for fitness improvements. I
can't believe the difference it has made for me!

Living in MT, nice restaurants are steak houses, so I'm afraid I haven't
developed much of a palate as of yet.

Music is a huge hobby - I have over 700 CD's, 300 cassettes, 200 LP's (does
anyone else remember vinyl??) and assorted other formats. Spent way too much
on my home stereo and my car stereo, but I do love GOOD sound!

Thanks for reading.

Mike

Chris Allen

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
bdb...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Well, this is an interesting off-season thread. I've enjoyed reading the ones
> so far; sort of feels like I know everyone better.
>
> I'm sort of a vagabond when it comes to interests, and whatever I write will
> be slightly different from what it was last year or what it will be the next.
> There are some common themes, though (other than mountain biking, of course).
>
> I've always liked music, but my tastes tend to vary wildly. Steely Dan is
> always a favorite, and the soul tunes from back in the '70s (War, Sly & the
> Family Stone) is stuff I still love. Lately, I've been taking up Hawaiian
> slack key guitar, which (for you guitar afficionadoes) involves open tunings,
> finger-picking, lots of hammer-ons, hammer-offs, slides & harmonics. I
> personally play virtually every day, though I really have little talent. I
> also have been enjoying latino tropicale music since my visit to Puerto Rico
> last year, but I don't speak Spanish so I don't really know who the good
> artists are.

I love music. I like almost everything out there except for mass market
pop. My dirty little secret is bluegrass, especially songs with lots of
banjo. I played trumpet in HS and college, but I'm really not good at
it to continue. While I can play reasonably well from a technical
standpoint, I just don't have that intagible "extra" to make it "music".

> My cooking is sort of like my guitar playing; I do it all the time but I'm
> not very good at it. I enjoy cooking, partly because the food in the Pacific
> Northwest is terribly bland (I came here from Texas), but I'm yet to be able
> to consistently churn out tasty food. My wife is Korean, and the stuff she
> cooks is fairly frightening to the average American (I can't eat it, either).
> I enjoy the flavors of Jamaica, Cuba, Southwestern US, & Indonesia. Recipies
> are always welcome (I need help!).

I love to cook also. I tend to stick mainly with soups, stews, and the
like. However, a recent foray into wild game cooking was very
successfull. I also like spicy foods, but the first time I used
habenaros, I put two, diced up fine, into a medium sized pot of chilli.
It was almost too hot to eat, even after aging for a day (which usually
mellows chilli).

> I've traveled around a lot, for various reasons. I've lived in Korea visited
> at least 10 other countries. I've been to Hawaii like 8 or 9 times, I can't
> recall the exact number. I've lived in over a dozen states in the US, and
> visited almost all of them.

I don't get to travel much for myself, but my company has been flying me
around the country a lot lately. I just got back from California (LA and
San Jose). I keep asking my manager to send me to some mtb hotspots for
the summer, but he just laughs :).

> My job is computer networking, and I seem to be strangely good at it (which
> is nice considering how lame I am at my hobbies). I have a CCIE
> certification; for those not familiar, it involves two days of an extremely
> difficult lab with a failure rate of over 80%. I actually did quite well;
> guess us mountain bikers aren't so dumb after all.

Same here (well, networking and sysadmining). Congrats on the CCIE. My
managers want me to get it also. I'm just now looking at the
requirements. They are tough. However, it'll look better than an MCSE
or CNE (two certs of which there are too many "posers" out there).
Computers are also a hobbie (Linux has been my latest fascinatino-this
was posted via Netscape under Linux).

> I have one child, a 9-year-old daughter, currently recovering from our last
> downhill ski outing.
>
> That's enough about me. Hope someone finds it interesting. Its good to hear
> from you all.
>
> Blaine

No kids and no wife (I do have a very patient girlfriend though). My
other hobbies include cars (I'm restoring a 72 beetle), collecting
diecast cars, reading (natural histories, fiction, biographies,
technology, etc, etc), beer brewing (and drinking), and photography.

Chris

Jim Lane

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:13:35 GMT, bdb...@yahoo.com wrote:

>In article <36a058fb.1769843@news>,
> jml...@home.com (Jim Lane) wrote:
>> Yo mon, would you like a chili plant or two? Habanero? Pepin?
>>
>> jim
>> a chilihead mountain biker
>
>I believe the proper chili for jerk rub is scotch bonnet (not that I've ever
>made any jerk rub that was edible!).

Lotsa similarities with scoth bonnet, the habanero has.

>Blaine

jim

James M. Lane

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
WOW, nice reads here today.

Food I like, cooking I like although cooking for one is
more of a nuisance than eating out. When I cook it will
more than likely be barbecue, Asian, Mexican, German. A
bit hotter in most cases (Rasta brought me four
gorgeous orange-red habaneros this morning, he did)
than non chili'ed food usually is.

Sometimes I get into pizza and have a favorite place
for that in San Diego's Hillcrest area called Bronx
Pizza. Sometimes after a ride with my friends, we go
there to pizza down the ride. I've also written
restaurant reviews back in the days of BBS's forr
Net202 Dining, but that is a long time past. Eating
more vegetarian than ever, but can not see going
totally veggie. Some favorite things to eat when out,
fish tacos, shrimp burritos, carne asada, Thai, Korean,
Hunan, Vietnamese and so on. . . Waiting for a trip up
Tahoe way to try the infamous killer chicken.

At one point I considered the chef route, but went for
a BS in Radio-TV Production, MBA - Marketing, and
doctorate in International Business/Marketing. And
that's where I make my living. Added to that is
teaching for the University of Phoenix system and for
CETYS in Baja at two campuses, Tijuana and Ensenada.

Travel is mostly into Baja/Ensenada and I extend
several teaching weekends (Friday night/Sat am) through
Sunday. I know several mountain bike riders in Ensenada
and will ride with them this term. I also take in the
Chili Cooking Contest there and go to the various wine
events (about the only alcohol I touch. . . well except
for a beer now and then following a ride). One of my
friends there is close to the top of the municipal
government, but isn't a rider, just the godfather of my
best Mexican friend and family.

Other interests are music. . . heavy metal to heavy
metal and before you know who tries to draw some kind
of conclusion out of that, it means from Wagner to
heavy metal although Teutonic opera is a bit wearing
and bluegrass ranks sorta low. I don't ride listening
to music, but replay something from memory which
complements the sounds of the ride and flow.

Because of my early days in college, I developed an
affinity for foreign films and feel very fortunate to
live within a block of the oldest art house in San
Diego. This is filled in with a variety of other films
(most recently saw the Faculty - seeing it will help
you understand you know who - and A Civil Action).

Reading is usually trade stuff, teaching stuff and
sci-fi. I have recently been sitting in with a writer's
group although a class starting this Tuesday night will
keep me away until April. Working on some ideas I have
had from my early college days. I'll look for another
group at a time I can make.

No garden. But if I had one, it would be about herbs
and chilis, tomatoes, elephant garlic and so on. Maybe
when I relocate from this granny flat.

Enjoy listening to the surf, wind in pines, thunder,
rain, wildlife and laughter. Haven't been in the ocean
for a long time (poor pisces). Haven't played tennis in
next to forever. Just ride and learn (missed Rasta's
ride today). And when my Wednesday commitments end in
two weeks, will start doing that.

So much more, so little bandwidth. . .

jim on the way to mom's to fix something or the other
and have a bite. . .

ebo...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
rast...@aol.com (RastaMTB) wrote:
> RastaMTB rides................

Well lets see. I really like to Mountain bike. I hate the snow ever since I
started biking this summer. I do like to ski ironically enough though. So I
guess the snow is cool. I also build robots. Check out comp.robotics.misc if
you want to check it out. I made a programmable robot thta seeked light and
avoided obstacles over the summer the few times I wasn't riding. I'm working
on a submarine robot now. I think I will buy the rest of my Scuba gear
first. Which brings me to my next interest-diving. I haven't gone nearly
enough since I got certified at the age of 12. 6 logged dives, that will
change this summer. I also like RC car racing. not so much racing lately, I
sorta just mess around with it. I am kind of getting out of it ever since I
started mtbing. I would seek out places in the woods with cool hills and
jumps for my RC car, I used to ride my bike out there, then I started to
realize that getting there was the most fun part, now I'm a "serious"
(whatever the hell that means, I guess I'm not as serious as darsh, but I'm
more serious then vandeman, whatever) mountain biker. anyway that's all my
current interests.

Ebola

Just Do It
--Bill Clinton

Chico

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I didn't see the original post, I guess it got eaten by the usenet
washing machine, so I'll try to reply via Daniel's reply.

I am from a small french fishing village on Cape Breton Island, in
Nova Scotia, Canada. It's called Petit de Grat. French is my first
language, and is what I speak at home. I grew up in a bilingual
environment, and am comfortable speaking or writing in either
language.

I grew up a pretty normal childhood. Same house for 20 years with the
same friends. I always did well in school, and was especially sought
after by friends to help them with Math and Physics. I guess that's
why I eventually went into engineering. I was never a natural athlete
- there were always much better athletes around whenever any of my
friends were around. However, I always had a bike and used it
extensively as my method of transportation. I just never got into it
seriously until summer '96 when I spent the summer in BC.

After high school, I went to Mount Allison University, then the
Technical University of Nova Scotia to persue an electrical
engineering degree. I have 4 months left. Being in a coop program, I
have moved around a lot in search of summer jobs, even taking a year
off and working in Ottawa, and so have not established any real
habits. Tennis is something that I always did. I coached kids since
I was about 16. It was my first love until mtbiking recently took
over that spot. I still play a lot of tennis. I also play a lot of
softball, and usually play on the more competitive teams.

I play vball during the winters, and have recently took up downhill
skiing on a more serious basis. Hockey is always a part of the
canadian psyche, and I do love the sport. I just have a hard time
skating and playing hockey at the same time. I very much enjoy
camping, and being in a boat of any kind. I grew up near the ocean,
and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I am not a
natural athlete, but through persistance, I think I have become
mediocre or better at many different sports.

I love electricity and all things electrical. That's the only way one
can get through an electrical engineering degree. Thus, playing with
electronic parts is fun for me. It shows, as I won an analog
electronics competition against my peers two years ago, as part of a
school lab.

I am a hands-on person. I like to play with things and find out why
they work. As such, I am attempting to do most of my own mechanical
work on the bike.

I have taken up the guitar in the past couple of years. I have no
musical bone in my body, but I've managed to become good enough to
entertain myself, or a bunch of drunken friends.

I've always been able to handle a computer decently. I'm no computer
scientist, but if you ask my mother, she'll tell you that I'm a
computer expert.

I don't mind cooking for myself. My meals are pretty plain, but you
won't starve if you have to live with me! Hearty meals are in order.
I don't have a house or any land to build a garden with, but my dad
does, and I steal stuff from him any time I can! You can't compare
store bought cucumbers with fresh ones! Pickled beats are also a
favorite of mine.

I also love music. I don't watch very much TV. (Mostly just hockey
games, and only if I can find it on the french channel) I've always
had a decent stereo, and listen to mostly alternative rock. I really
like canadian music, with my favorites being the Watchmen, and 54-40.
Being from Cape Breton, celtic music is a must for any kind of kitchen
party! Great Big Sea has to be the most amazing live performers ever!

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:22:26 -0500, Daniel Fortin <d...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>RastaMTB wrote:
>
>> Rasta also is very interested in worldwide travel, leaning toward the regions

I love to travel. I've visited every canadian province except
Newfoundland. (ironically, the immediate neighbour of Nova Scotia).
I've visited a few american states, notably New York, Vermont and
Montana. This is quite an accomplishment for someone from Petit de
Grat!

>> Most important interest is my family, incredible wife and son. Mother & father,

My parents are still living in at home. They are very good to me. I
have two younger brothers who appear to be following my academic
footsteps. A stable family is definitely an asset.

I'm currently striving to get through my final four months. I have
great friends that I get together with regularly. We have drinks and
enjoy a good kitchen party. I brew my own rum, and so there is never
a lack of boose around! School is important to me, and so I
concentrate on doing well for the next 4 months. Any free time is
spent on the bike, strumming on my guitar, or just getting away from
school.

Great to hear about all you folks.

Chico is out.

wide rider

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
This is me! 36yrs old
VP asphalt paving company
Married W 3 kids, boy 8, girl 5, boy 1
home = centrel PA (middle of nowhere)
2 dogs , CH Lab , Aus Shep
parents.. live in Tucson also mtb
Edu, 2yrs Penn state (will go back someday)
sports.. H.S football ,wrestling, track,(shot put) power lifting
(bench510,SQU650)
US army 4yrs (2germany)
have lived in , AZ,CO,NY

LIKE'S.. smokin no talent FS riders on my hardtail.
MR Shaner (he's such a stud)

DISLIKES.. all depends on what day it is

(--Wide
rider--)"bigger we R, faster we roll"

madEG

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike
was staring at me, I figured out the news reader-- and I found all you
lovable little scamps.

I grew up in Maryland mostly playing ice hockey and riding my redline,
skateboarding and drinking cheap beer in cornfields away from the
authorities in the fledgling suburbs. During high school I left home
and moved to lake placid New York to play hockey for two more years.
I got my first mtn bike then in '89. It was a giant rincon. It had
index shifting on the rear and I was jazzed.

On to Brockville Ontario (played jrA for the Braves) and the bike was
left at home. I couldn't fit it in the car with everything else. Two
seasons with no riding makes one not a rider, (me thinks.) It was
basically flat where I was, so short of being a roadie, their was
nothing to do anyway.

After that I moved to south of Buffalo, NY for college. The hockey
team kept me busy all winter but the bike again saved my ass from the
coach when it came time to get in shape... The hills in western NY
make for nice rides as well.

I got around to graduating with a philosophy prelaw degree, and moved
to Philadelphia.

After hockey ended, the next few years are sadly fuzzy. Just say no.
;)

I moved out of the city, after those four years, with a girl I met at
a rave. The bike I got in Lake Placid was rusted to shit from being
left out in the rain when I took the train into the city every day for
work... So I got another Giant. This was spring 97 when I really got
into riding.

I was lucky to find that computers and all the jazz associated with it
works well for me. I learned this while wondering what the hell I was
gonna do working at the law firm, so this is my gig for now. I do
software development for a company in MD, and work at home north of
Phila. I use Clarion to make the stuff that keeps me in clothes.

Traveling to MD every few weeks gives me rides in MD with my friends
of long ago, so the travel doesn't bother me. It is nice to get out
of the house any way possible...

I scored my current ride when my last lbs closed. It is a Hardland xc
model. I jock their address as my signature because I have spoke with
the pres on the phone a few times (Jack Falvey) and he seems like a
top notch character. He is always very helpful and prompt when I need
parts or info. I love my bike and I am happy to have some
excitement back in my life that is healthy.

Btw, the girl I mentioned is now my fiancé, as of the 9th of this
month. :)

The ice storm left some interesting sound effects to be heard from
under wheel. So, I need to get out.

later folks,I've been posting to this group for a while now and on
several occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby
causing me to wonder if I should have done that before I began
spouting all my bs about red being the fastest color and all... it
was raining, my bike was staring at me, I figured out the news
reader-- and I found all you lovable little scamps.

Born in '72, I grew up in Maryland mostly playing ice hockey and
[...]

of the house any way possible... Riding basically is comprised of
local trails once/twice a week and MD trails every three weeks. I
really appreciate the power of a lift ticket to the top at least three
times a summer at whatever ski resort, and hope that my third year at
props run (slatyforks, wv annual) doesn't hurt as bad as last year.
(spelled f.a.c.e.p.l.a.n.t)

I scored my current ride when my last lbs closed. It is a Hardland xc
model. I jock their address as my signature because I have spoke with
the pres on the phone a few times (Jack Falvey) and he seems like a
top notch character. He is always very helpful and prompt when I need
parts or info. I love my bike and the fear involved in doing
something your are not sure that you can do, as well as I am happy to
have some excitement back in my life that is healthy.

Btw, the girl I mentioned is now my fiancé, as of the 9th of this
month. :)

The ice storm left some interesting sound effects to be heard from
under wheel. So, I need to get out.

later folks,
Matt (aka ma...@hotmail.com)
Great bikes made by Hardland found at...
<<<http://home.ici.net/~hardland/hardland.html>>>

Agincourt

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I copied the previous post format. It seemed to be very well thought out.

This is me! 37yrs old
Educator on sabbatical, seeking Masters in History Education
Married w/ 2 kids, boy 6, girl 4
Home = Augusta, Georgia, 1 dog (dumb as a post)
Born Los Angeles, California
Education, 4 years University of Maryland, 1 year at ASU
Sports. Former:Union Rugby, stopped to due to Stress Fracture and spinal
compression.
US army 4 years (2/75 Ranger Battalion, Fort Lewis WA)
have lived in , (Easier to point out where I haven't been) CA, WA, GA, MD,
NY, Japan, Australia, and the UK

--
Howard King
Augusta State University

Han Kim

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Bench 510!! Squat 650!! I see your handle, wide rider, is accurate. Tell me, how does this affect your mountain biking?

wide rider wrote:

--
Han Kim
Department of Epidemiology

Anthony Sloan

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99

Too many to list.

Chili fetish is certainly shared. Being somewhat of a gardener
(xeriscape) fuels this....errrm...fire.

Music, especially jazz and classical. (real jazz, thankyewverymuch!!
'Trane, Bags, Duke, Monk...)

Cooking. Lately I have been planking fish. Whole new world, toss some
veggies on there and ya gots a meal.

History, usually have my nose in a book. All sorts of history.
Standard stuff like Civil War, Etc, to narrow paths such as the history
of the english language in north america. Its all good. History is
people, and people are interesting, often to he point of hilarity.

Dogs, got 3.

Chico

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:46:50 GMT, ma...@madFUNK.com (madEG) wrote:

>I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
>occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
>to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
>about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike

I like your theory about the color red.

Chico

Dan

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I'm a computer geek who just recently got into mountain biking. (This is my
first year of real riding.) I'm a computer hardware support engineer,
currently handling a large site full of enterprise level systems
(AlphaServer 8400's on down, running OpenVMS, Digital Unix, and Windows NT).

I have a small network of PC's which, if they were mountain bikes, would be
old cro-mo rigids, all home built. (Pentium 133, 486-66's... Oh, and a
Digital AlphaStation 200, running NT, and occasionally Unix) OK, I guess
the Alpha would be a '96 GT hardtail, all XTR, if it was a mountain bike.

If the weather in Southern California was colder, I'd be skiing now, which
is my other sport interest. If it wasn't for skiing and mountain biking,
I'd be a hopeless couch potato. I've found that 5 minutes on a stationary
bike is pure torture, and I feel exhausted, yet I can spend hours on my bike
and not notice how tired I am until I get home. The gym bores me, so I'm
glad I have my bike and skis.

I also enjoy video production, and am in the process of building an editing
suite at home. I hope some day to be an independent video producer, or at
least a freelance crew member.

Although I hate cigarettes, I do enjoy the occasional cigar once or twice a
month. Only premiums for me, though, no machine made drug store stuff. If
I smoke that seldom, I can afford the good stuff, like Arturo Fuente Don
Carlos #4, or A. Fuente Hemingway series. I hate people who are
inconsiderate about their smoking, and I respect other people's rights not
to inhale my cigar smoke, and I expect cigarette smokers to do the same for
me.

Well, I'm not as interesting as Rasta or Darsh, but we can't all be!

Dan
--
Lurker2 "at" usa "dot" net
Include "!NS!" in subject to avoid the junk heap.

> [...]

>Anyone can do it, only have to want to!" I must admit, the karate training
has
>helped me in all facets of daily life, from discipline, persistence,
>commitment, self motivation and just plain oldgetting "tuff'ined up"
>

>Most important interest is my family, incredible wife and son. Mother &
father,

>yes Rasta is very thankful for having parents still alive and close (live 1
>mile away, can be a PITA). The brothers (2) and sister, all have high
degree
>of mutual respect for each other............
>

>My work, selling real estate...well got ta love it too, with dedication and
>high work ethic, I make a comfortable living and have much free time for
the
>reat of my interests....most of all MTB!!!!
>

>Now maybe you know more about Rasta, how about youz guyz??

Han Kim

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
It's actually true. You're much more likely to be pulled over in a red car
than in any other color.

Daniel Fortin

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
No no no!!! it's not red, it's yellow the fastest color... until I change
my bike...

Daniel.

Chico wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:46:50 GMT, ma...@madFUNK.com (madEG) wrote:
>

> >I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
> >occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
> >to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
> >about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike

James M. Lane

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Heee, heee, heeee. . . ;-) no wonder you and the eunuch
are friends. He gets everyone thrown off the land,
developers buy it and you pave it, roadies ride it.

Heee, heee, heeee. . .

jim

madEG

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Blasphemer!

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:15:47 -0500, Daniel Fortin <d...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>No no no!!! it's not red, it's yellow the fastest color... until I change

>my bike...
>
>Daniel.
>
>Chico wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:46:50 GMT, ma...@madFUNK.com (madEG) wrote:
>>

>> >I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
>> >occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
>> >to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
>> >about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike
>>

>> I like your theory about the color red.
>>
>> Chico

madEG

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
ratz, sorry for appending the spell checked version to the bottom of
the original...

smart. s.m.r.t.

I couldn't really belive that I really wrote that much... I guess I
didn't...

doh,
madEG

madEG

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
It is rather intuitive, isn't it? :)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:06:47 GMT, chi...@geocities.com (Chico) wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:46:50 GMT, ma...@madFUNK.com (madEG) wrote:
>

>>I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
>>occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
>>to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
>>about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike
>

>I like your theory about the color red.
>
>Chico

Trekkie Dad

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
In article <36a2eea8...@news.earthlink.net>, ma...@madFUNK.com wrote:

> I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
> occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
> to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
> about red being the fastest color and all...

I have THREE red bikes, including my new Proflex.

Jammin'endoman

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
I'm interested in when I will need that root canal on the tooth I
fractured when I endo'd in '97. That would interest me since I am an
endodontist (root canal specialist). I love to cook esp. BBQ and any
thing smoked in a weber!!! I love to garden (must be that dirt thing
too.) It is obvious we enjoy our internet thing. I am married, two
kids. A daughter 12, and a son 9. My son is now developing a liking
for riding the dirt!!! I do love my profession. I enjoy meetingand
helping the people that come into my office. I find I can relate to the
trauma patients better these days ever since I wacked my face. (if any
of you are interested in how to manage tooth trauma in an emergent
situation, let me know). Most of all I like being outdoors. Biking,
hiking, backpacking, just standing & looking.

endoman

Roger Buchanan

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Well, most of you know how much time I spent out of doors with my Dad. That in turn
directed my interests in science through school and eventually took me down the
path of Biology in University. I've got a technical diploma in Biological
Technology and a B.Sc. in Biology. As I was always a talky kid, telling people
everything they needed to know, but mostly what they didn't need to know, I also
picked up a B.Ed. somewhere along the line. Have worked off and on, mostly off, as
a term position classroom teacher or computer consultant. (I fell in with a group
of computer users several years back, and my volunteer work eventually lead to the
presidency of the organization. Got to meet some cool computer types along the way
though). Basically, what I do isn't that interesting.

Where and when I get the chance I can often be found hip deep in streams fly
fishing. On a trip on Vancouver island I skidded the truck to the shoulder, ran
across four lanes of traffic. Stripped to my shorts, and waded out to fish "the
most beautiful pool" I'd ever seen in my life. My wife would have thought anyone
else was nuts, but I was "just being me".

Conformity...something I don't always adhere to. I hosted meetings of our computer
organization, often with 400+ in the crowd, wearing a Borland propeller beanie that
I got at Comdex. Most in the crowd were in suits and ties. I wore my shorts with
glow in the dark computer screens and a propeller beanie. Why? Because I could. I
was self conscious enough as a child to last a lifetime, now I just say what the
hell?

My wife is another of my great passions. I love finding new and interesting ways of
making her smile. We spend lots of time doing things together. We're not much into
to getting things, so much as we are doing things, together. I love to cook, and
often get in trouble with rather "elaborate" recipes. She'll come home to find the
place looking like a bomb hit it, and I'll just say "I can do this!" and smile. She
hasn't complained yet, though she definitely has preferences. <grin> She's taught
me so much about life. Just now I asked her if "Crackling Rose", that she's
playing, is Neil Diamond singing about a bottle of wine. It is! Cool. (I never said
I clued in about a lot of things). She's the princess to my frog. I've learned more
about life in 11 years with her than in all the 25 years before her.

One of my great hobbies, when I was younger, was model building. I could sit in my
room for hours building kits. Mostly they were armour and infantry from WWII. I
read books, manuals, you name it. It had to be accurate in scale as well as
authentic. Mum drove herself nuts worrying about this "antisocial" kid in his room,
not even coming out to eat sometimes. Eventually she made me enter a contest with
two pieces. At least this way she thought I would get out and meet others with
similar interests. When they called out "best military - under 16" and announced my
name I was almost too shy to go up. I had worked over a hundred hours on one piece
and thirty on the other. I was hoping to win a trophy, but glad that my big piece
has been good enough to win the gift certificate for my category. I just sat down
when they announced "Best military - Overall". Now that person was gonna get that
trophy, it was soooo big. And he said my name. After that all I did was a big
500-600 hour piece. I was a square yard. German armour in France. I donated it to
the local War museum. They in turn moved it to the provincial military museum,
ironically where the Germans come to train.

I golf, a bit, and not well. My drives are long, but not always straight, which
makes it interesting at times. My iron game, especially short irons, is the pits.
My putting is actually quite good though. I've gotten to know my brother, 19 years
my senior, mostly through our occasional rounds together. I hope I'm as cool as he
is when I'm his age.

My only other hobby is flying stunt kites. Those two line jobs that whirl about the
skies with tenuous control. Linda can make them dance like coloured clouds. I can
keep them from crashing by comparison. We've been out to Long Beach in Washington
State to see where they host the big festival. My golf hat is covered with kite
pins. I'm kinda curious about trying to catch a ride on a snowboard behind a big
kite. It would be a variation on windsurfing I guess. Doing that would be a big
*BIG* leap for me though.

MTB'ing has been a real positive for me. All the other stuff that I have enjoyed
hasn't been exactly physically demanding. The effort required by riding is
something that I really need, both physically and mentally. Most of the other stuff
requires a certain type of "perfectionist mindset", the markings on the German guns
have to be accurate for the infantry, the ball has to be started down the right
side of the fairway on a certain hole, you *have* to use icing sugar to make icing,
mistakenly using corn starch won't cut it, the cast has to land "just so" for it to
drift properly in the right spot, the tension on the lines has to be "just so" for
the stunt to work. Not so with riding. Getting over the log means just getting over
the log, it doesn't require it to be done in a certain way. If an ugly bash crashes
over the log, that's just as good as the guy that lofts a hop over the log. They
both got over the log. It's also good because I'm not gonna "hurt the team" by
doing just the best I can do. I can do the best I can for me, and it can be enough.
I can have good rides with others and have a ball. So that's what I'm doing.
--

Rog,
Futilely trying to become a better mountain biker,

bdb...@yahoo.com

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
In article <36A13400...@home.com>,

"James M. Lane" <jml...@home.com> wrote:
> WOW, nice reads here today.

I agree. This was a really cool thread.

> Other interests are music. . . heavy metal to heavy
> metal and before you know who tries to draw some kind
> of conclusion out of that, it means from Wagner to
> heavy metal although Teutonic opera is a bit wearing
> and bluegrass ranks sorta low. I don't ride listening
> to music, but replay something from memory which
> complements the sounds of the ride and flow.

Not sure if you've read it in my ride reports, but blazing downhill while
singing "Ride of the Valkyries" is a blast. I only do this if I'm riding on a
trail that I'm pretty sure is deserted, and with a riding partner to enjoy my
less-than-stellar renditions.

Then again, if the trail WASN'T deserted, no one could accuse me of sneaking
upon them! :-)

Blaine

Chico

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:14:30 -0800, Han Kim <han...@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

>It's actually true. You're much more likely to be pulled over in a red car
>than in any other color.

I also heard that insurance is higher for red cars than other colors.

Chico

Pete

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
>Posts your interests and then get out and ride....Yes MON!! RIDE!!

Pete is....

Age - 42
Job - Software developer(database, business applications, general web stuff)
Old job - Ret. US Air Force - 16 yrs weapons mechanic (helping pilots blow
things up), 4 yrs programming
Married - yes
Kids - 4 porch monkeys - 14,14,11,7 (yes...twins)
Sports - besides biking...skiing (#2 H.S. team in NY '73 & '74; #1 team in
USAF '82; ex ski patrol )
Hobby - Designing, building, destroying recumbent bikes & trikes
(http://members.xoom.com/1rw/index.htm )
Travelling (11 yrs in Europe courtesy of Uncle Sam; England, Spain, Germany,
Holland)
Music - Pink Floyd, jazz, classical, and ABC (Anything But Country)
Literature - Science fiction (nerd alert!) Heinlein, Niven, Ing, Asimov,
Farmer, anything with an interesting cover & title; quasi-military stuff. I
go through cycles. Recently, was an anti-terrorism kick. Presently, its
legal issues and cyberspace. Go read net.wars and Cyber Rights.
Getting into 3D graphics & VRML

Waiting for the ground to dry out so I can RIDE. SE Virginia is made out of
clay...and does NOT dry out quickly. But when it does...its like cement.
OUCH!

Gonna do my first official century this yr. Don't know which one.....but I
WILL do one.

Pete

j.delgrosso

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

and black. :)

-j

gabr...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

>Posts your interests and then get out and ride....Yes MON!!

Hey Rasta - not as interesting as you, but I've been posting a lot lately, so
I figured I'd introduce myself (hi everyone)

About Gabe--

Age:28 Job:Travelling X-Ray Technologist,(for now). Army-Trained. Married:
nope. Any single women read this newsgroup? :) Sports: mountain biking
(duh!), Martial Arts (Karate, TKD, kendo), weightlifting (I'm a little out of
shape!) Hobbies: Web Site Design, Painting/Figure Drawing, Photography
Travelling: Just started travelling - born/raised in NY, lived in VA, KS, MO,
Panama and now NC. Was stationed in KY, TX, OK. See my photo:
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4695/webmaster.html Music: Anything
But Country and elevator music. Literature: Hah! I read magazines and
websites on MT Biking, Bodybuilding, web design, programming, and sometimes
(rarely) art. Oh - anything that has "STAR WARS" stamped on the cover.
Waiting for: my body to heal - was hit by a truck last year, broke many
bones, so now the only biking I do is in the gym (one more month and I will
buy a new bike and hit the Tsali and Pisgah trails- woo hoo!)

-Gabe
Anyone else have a homepage? A photo on line?

G.T.

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

RastaMTB wrote in message <19990116012027...@ng-ce1.aol.com>...
>A while back, someone posted a request to start a thread about the various
>interests each of us have besides the given love for MTB and the places the
>"obsession" takes us. I'll start...(I don't mean to make it one of the
holiday
>time "newsletters" often recieved) but here goes!!.
>
>Rasta loves to cook...YES MON...everything from breakfast to dinner!!
>I love to cook and watch the look on the faces of those attending one of my
>feasts. The most often heard comment by guests: " Do you eat this way
>everyday...can I come over for LEFTOVERS!" My favorite "specialties"
include
>(in no special order) Omelets, Oven baked Herb Potatoes, anything with my
>homegrown Macadamia nuts, Rugelach (look it up!!), Jerk spiced ANYTHING!,
and I
>love to BBQ a big hunk of king salmon!!

YOU ARE THE MAN, Rasta! My wife and like to cook, too. Since she's
Italian/Irish we do a lot of pastas with a wide variety of tasty sauces,
couscous with grilled vegies and lots of turmeric and cumin, burritos all
the time!, homemade 5-bean vegie chili with lots of serranos, and a big old
fat grilled filet mignon every once in a while when we need our meat. i
gotta find out more about that jerk!

>My wife and I also obsess in the garden. Maybe related to my love of
DIRT!!
>Growing 1)Edibles: Snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, corn, macadamia
nuts,
>oranges, peaches, plums, thornless boysenberrys, pineapples (actual
cuttings
>from the hawaiian tourist bring homes!) and a huge herb gardens , formerly
my
>front lawn, including 8 different types of thyme, 3 oreganos, 7 types of
sage,
>4 different lavenders, 9 varieties of mint and more and 2)Ornamentals:
Roses,
>Plumeria, dozens of odd & strange cacti & succulents, epiphilliums,
bromiliads
>(did you know pineapples are related to bromiliads??) Staghorn ferns. I
have a
>worm/compost pile that yields the very rich soil. I dump almost anything
>organic into the compost!

my wife and i will also be obsessing on the garden but we don't have much
room so it's mostly going to be herbs and small vegetables, chili peppers,
too, so I'll send you an e-mail about that!

>Rasta is a big lover of music, Reggae is my favorite close second is the
Rock
>of the late 60's-70's I grew up with! The Who, Allman Bros, Steely Dan,
>Traffic, Cream, The Dead and Santana (Santana is the BOMB for high paced
MTB
>action, Oh YEAH!!)

i'm into more aggro music, bad religion, jon spencer blues explosion, fatima
mansions plus some mellower stuff like nick cave and the bad seeds, and
beck, plus a lot of older jazz, blues and country. my wife's absolute
favorite band is the allman bros and she's a big dead fan, too.

>Rasta also is very interested in worldwide travel, leaning toward the
regions
>that I can wear a bathing suit or riding shorts all year!! A Bachelor of
>Science from San Diego State University 1980 in Geography/Economics.
Geography
>is all about TRAVEL!!! YES MON, I have 4 years of college, spent most of
it
>dreaming of those faraway places! ( And a sheepskin to prove it!!)

we're hopefully going to do a prague, budapest, bulgaria, turkey and greece
trip this summer. if not that, then we're going to australia next october!

>Rasta cherishes the physical! I am a late bloomer, but bloomed none the
less.
>I went through High School watching the rest bang their heads together
playing
>football & other team sports. Nothing wrong with team sports, just not for
>Rasta. I discovered physical fitness in college thru a martial arts
program
>(Tang Soo Do). Started in 1978 in what was a college required 2 units to
>graduate evolved into a real love of the art, the Korean Master instructor

>(since passed away 1985) and the hardcore discipline it took to go through
his

>training. Now back at it full time with my son. I am very proud of his
>efforts. He works hard and he is very proud to have a father that is an
"old
>time" black belt. As I tell him and others "I am NOT a black belt, I am a
just
>another PERSON that earned a black belt throught commitment and
persistance.
>Anyone can do it, only have to want to!" I must admit, the karate training
has
>helped me in all facets of daily life, from discipline, persistence,
>commitment, self motivation and just plain oldgetting "tuff'ined up"

raced district 37 desert races and played a lot of tennis growing up.

>Most important interest is my family, incredible wife and son. Mother &
father,
>yes Rasta is very thankful for having parents still alive and close (live 1
>mile away, can be a PITA). The brothers (2) and sister, all have high
degree
>of mutual respect for each other............

no children yet but we will soon and i currently have a beautiful niece and
nephew, 2 future bmx/mtn bike champs!

>My work, selling real estate...well got ta love it too, with dedication and
>high work ethic, I make a comfortable living and have much free time for
the
>reat of my interests....most of all MTB!!!!

network admin, fun but i need a little more free time though!

greg

G.T.

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

Trekkie Dad wrote in message ...

>In article <19990116012027...@ng-ce1.aol.com>,
>rast...@aol.com (RastaMTB) wrote:
>
>> A while back, someone posted a request to start a thread about the
various
>> interests each of us have besides the given love for MTB and the places
the
>> "obsession" takes us. I'll start...(I don't mean to make it one of the
>holiday
>> time "newsletters" often recieved) but here goes!!.
>>

>Trekkie Dad is an educator...which means long summer vacations. He used to
>be a classroom teacher; now he supports his colleagues as a program
>specialist.

I've got a math degree and I've always thought about teaching but I think
I'd get way too frustrated with the schools and a lot of the kids these
days. The summer vacations would be great!

greg

G.T.

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

Michael Sparling wrote in message
<77rhbc$be$1...@oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

>I work for Mickey D's - manage the restaurant in Deer Lodge, MT. I commute
>30 miles each way, which may seem tame to the SoCal folks, but is a huge
>commute for MT. I've worked for McD's since high school.

i'll bet your 30 miles takes less than my 11 miles.

>Hobbies - MTB, obviously. Took up road biking two years ago. For those that
>haven't tried, I truly recommend road biking for fitness improvements. I
>can't believe the difference it has made for me!
>
>Living in MT, nice restaurants are steak houses, so I'm afraid I haven't
>developed much of a palate as of yet.
>
>Music is a huge hobby - I have over 700 CD's, 300 cassettes, 200 LP's (does
>anyone else remember vinyl??) and assorted other formats. Spent way too
much
>on my home stereo and my car stereo, but I do love GOOD sound!

I've got about 600 vinyl lps and the ones that i've been selling have been
supporting my mtn bike habit!

greg

TorqueMiteFS

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
>Posts your interests and then get out and ride....Yes MON!! RIDE!!

>RastaMTB rides................

Ah well, my interests seem to revolve around a few common threads.

SPEED!!!
This used to be the motivation to ride up the hills (to come
back down), but my biker side jumped up on me and said "Thou shalt
love thy uphills with all thy heart" (No disrespect intended). I love
Motorbikes as well. I used to be into dirtbiking, but I'd rather ride
my MTB off road and get a street bike. Used to love the Yamaha V-Max
(still do), but after hearing some ride reports, fuel mileage etc.,
and a recommendation for a Yamaha FJ, my interest swayed. In the
following year I will purchase an FJ12 which as you all may not know
makes about 115hp at the rear wheel, which is about 145 at the engine.
Downhill skiing is also a speed thing, but I have lately taken up
snowboarding and am looking into getting some backcountry/telemark
gear(If somebody knows where I can get cheaper boots let me know).

MECHANICAL!
If two parts move in relation to one another, they are an
interest of mine. I started taking things apart when I was four. Later
on, some of them would get back together again slightly improved. I
started repairing appliances, then gokarts and dirtbikes(thats how I
got into motorbikes), and now cars. A current project of mine is a
suspended go-kart powered by a 250cc two stroke dirt bike engine. I
own a 1948 Ford F68 (3/4 ton pickup) which I am restoring. I will do
all the work except the final coat of paint myself. Given to me as a
gift from my now deceased Grandfather, it is a labour of love, and so
the final touch will be to restencil my Grandfather's logo back onto
the doors.

ACADEMIC/MUSICAL
My parents highly encouraged (read blackmail) me to learn the
violin as a kid for some 10 yrs. Eventually I began to like it, and
had played for 14 years when I had to stop the lessons to take up
Engineering. I also took up flute and alto sax in junior/senior high
school. During first year engg, I picked up a bit of guitar, but it is
difficult since I no longer play the melody. My latest interest would
be the alphorn, but at a price of $2000cdn., I may never get into it.
I always did well in school, ended up as Valedictorian (top mark). For
grad I got to drive my Dad's '57 Lincoln, and a very good friend of
mine skipped a family vacation to be my date. Best day of my life. She
thought she was good at foosball (she was), but she wasn't able to
beat me. Despite this good friend of mine, I am still single (no
private emails please, I usually discourage net romances by posting a
picture of myself, he he). I have enjoyed my engineering classes, and
will continue on to get my Mechanical Engineering degree so that I can
build all the stuff I used to love to fix. Let me tell you I have lots
of designs just waiting to build.

OTHER
I kind of stuffed some "other" stuff under the previous
heading. As you know I love MTBing. Soccer is number too, and
Volleyball a close third. Play foosball, ping pong, and Snooker.
I love to do just about anything, but that usually means putting down
big bucks for the equipment. Ah well! just wait till I'm done school.

Darcy

Chris Tomlinson

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
>Anyone else have a homepage? A photo on line?

One of my hobbies is web page design - well two sites anyway!

My first site is at http://home.clara.net/chicken/twepsite/ and contains
little bits and bobs about lots of things including a picture of me where I
look pretty awful - as in all photos of me (obviously!) -
(http://home.clara.net/chicken/twepsite/me2.jpg ). It also has a bit about
the simpsons, south park and stuff about my family and friends. Oh and
Mountain biking :-)

Linked to that site (and also accessible independently) is the "Ace Aero
Area" -
http://home.clara.net/chicken/twepsite/aeroarea/ - this is my more recent
development and will be updated much more often than the TWeP site.

The "Aero" in the above title refers to the band Aerosmith who are the best
band in the world. I listen to music a lot, even more than I use the
computer (especially since I use my CD-ROM drive to play audio CD's more
than I use it for data!). I like most rock and indie music but I am not
restricted to those genres. I also like some R&B, dance and others but
Aerosmith are by far the best, followed (not closely!) by the Bluetones.

As mentioned earlier, I use this computer a lot. I actually built this one
myself - it took me about 2 weeks of evenings after school to get it running
perfectly, although it took over 2 months to convince my dad to pay for the
parts. So I'm basically in charge of this machine and responsible for
finding ways around all the little bugs that good old B. Gates inserts into
his software which he then charges hundreds of pounds for. Apart from
maintaining this beige beast, I spend time in a few Aerosmith newsgroups and
mailing lists and work on my web site. Of course with a Pentium II 400 and
Voodoo II graphics card, I spend a lot of time playing games on here as
well!

Still, when I've finally read all my e-mail and fixed any of the daily
problems which the other members of my family encounter - ya know... engaged
tones on the modem and technical stuff like that ;-) I pull on my thick
clothes and my crappy helmet and ride off into the wilderness. Well
actually it's about 10 miles on road in the winter - any more than an hour
outside down in Devon is just asking to be soaked by a freak rain storm (in
the last few weeks anyway). I usually stick mainly to the road in the
winter but in the summer I ride off road as much as possible. This still
leaves a lot of the journey on road because there's no-where to ride around
here and I have to share any off road bits with old people and tourists in
the summer.

When I'm not biking, listing to music or on the computer I'll either be at
sixth-form (studying A-level Maths, Physics and Biology), out with my
friends, eating, sleeping, reading Star Wars novels or watching "Buffy the
Vampire Slayer" - Mmmmmm... Buffy ;-)

Well that's my life. Nice to meet (maybe that should be "read") you all!

Tomo :-)

ebo...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
In article <36a250b6...@news.dal.ca>,

chi...@geocities.com (Chico) wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:46:50 GMT, ma...@madFUNK.com (madEG) wrote:
>
> >I've been posting to this group for a while now and on several
> >occasions having seen others introduce themselves, thereby causing me
> >to wonder if I should have done that before I began spouting all my bs
> >about red being the fastest color and all... it was raining, my bike
>
> I like your theory about the color red.
>
> Chico

I hada red bike once, it was stolen. In my experience though, black is
undoubtedly a faster color.

Ebola

Just Do It
--Bill Clinton

ebo...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
In article <36a2ad03...@news.dal.ca>,

chi...@geocities.com (Chico) wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:14:30 -0800, Han Kim <han...@u.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >It's actually true. You're much more likely to be pulled over in a red car
> >than in any other color.
>
> I also heard that insurance is higher for red cars than other colors.
>
> Chico

It's higher for black too. And black bikes really are faster, especially if
they have yellow lettering that says Cannondale and F400. (and if I ride this
particular bike, which is probably what makes it faster)

Chico

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:56:23 GMT, "Chris Tomlinson"
<to...@chicken.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>Anyone else have a homepage? A photo on line?

http://is2.dal.ca/~boudrere

Nicholas Kitchener

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

Well as everyone else is at it - If you can beat them join 'em (or was that
nuke 'em?)..

Age- 25
Appearance: Tall (6'2), slim (11ish stone), short blonde hair, green eyes.

Job- Team Leader/Software Engineer for Logica UK.
Education- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering (2:2 - too much non-academic
learning in the final year ;) ) I've done projects in Deregulation of
Electricity Markets
and I'm currently involved with Mobile phones (GSM).

Hobbies: Mountain biking for 3months- owner of a customised '99 Kona
Lavadome..
Marzocchi Z2 BAM Light, New wheels (Tioga Factory XC Kevlar, Mavic 517
rims, Hope
Ti spokes & disc brake hubs (not utilised yet)) both front and back,
Shimano
SPD 515s.
Next bike - custom, Rocky mountain frame (Element or Instinct), wheels that
I have
already (the Hope hubbed things), XT or XTR (undecided), Hope Disc brakes
(XC),
use the Marzocchi I have already. Other bits, bars etc, will probably be
Raceface.
(Main priority is strength & wieght rather than pure wieght).

Regular MTB haunt: South Dorking, Surrey, UK - mainly Leath Hill, Box Hill,
North
downs etc.. regular on the Sunday Social..
I started riding in mid/end-October (autumn/winter) so all I know is mud,
numb toes
and rain/big puddles.. I have yet to ride on a totally dry day :o)

Other hobbies include Windsurfing (UK weather is unpredictable.. so I have
Pryde
sails, Fanatic Ultra Ram (an old 310 that still goes like sh... off a
shovel)), Electric
Guitar - owner of a Fender Strat - my first guitar... brought 8 years ago.
Cooking - makes a great Bolognaise and a real mean Thai tiger curry.

Music - anything.. from Verdi through to DJ Smith (Hardcore 'rave')..

Food: any! Faves Italian, Thai, Indian..
[Try this: slice thinly some chicken, cook at high heat in ground nut oil
with garlic,
spring onions and small (nuclear grade) birds eye chillis. Then add coconut
milk use
tinned (not the block stuff), Five Spice powder, Soy (or thai fish source),
lime juice,
corriander, pepper , finish off with mint leaves (or bazil leaves) - don't
think I've
missed anything off].

Nick.
--
Nicholas Kitchener, Software Engineer, Logica UK
Logica Aldiscon - World Leaders in SMS Solutions.

Ontario

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Chico
Eastern Canada is so spectacular!!!!!
I have to get out there some day

Ed Scott

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California, originally from Wash, DC
by way of Austin/Ft. Worth, TX.
Job(s)/Education: Patent lawyer (Current for 10 years), Software Engineer
(Defense Industrial Complex for a few), BS computer science 1983, JD 1988
Age: 37
Ethnicity: WASP
Resting heartrate: 60
Bikes I've known: Schwinn 3 spd, Bugatti 10 spd w/campy rims (stolen), 10 spd
homebuilt from scavenged parts during lawschool (donated), recent acquisitions -
98 Rockhopper, 99 Santa Cruz Heckler X, just got into Mtn. Biking and digging
heavily.
Regular rides: Fremont Older (3 x/week during lunch at work in Cupertino, CA),
St. Joseph's Hill, Sierra Azul, Wilder Ranch, El Corte de Madera, Saratoga
Gap/Long Ridge, Soquel Demo Forest, Los Gatos Creek Trail
Activities/interests: Cruising the net (of course!), windsurfing (ASD/Windwing 80
days/year), skiing (K2 Fives, 27 years), computers (Vax, PC, Amiga, Mac),
videography (high-8, DV), home improvement, shopping at Home Depot, plumbing,
electrical, carpentry, drywall, cabinetry, paint (did a kitchen 2 years ago),
yardwork, TV, films, military/American/contemporary history, current events,
public affairs, first amendment/constitutional law, general bullshitting (can't
you tell).
Politics: Moderate and jaded/practical Yellow Dog Democrat ("even if a yellow dog
was running...") no longer active, but still straight ticket.
Music: "Classic" rock/50's/60's shit (Led Zep, Stones, 13th Floor Elevators, Who,
Allman Bros., AC/DC, etc...), Electronic (Vangellis, Tangerine Dream), Disco
(Abba, KC & Sunshine Band), New Wave/Hardcore punk/speedmetal/thrash (Elvis
Costello, The Clash, Minor Threat, Butthole Surfers, Big Boys, Raw Power,
Metallica), Industrial (Front 242, The Orb), Repackaged hardcore/"alternative"
(Fugazi, Nirvana, Bush, L7, Stone Temple Pilots, Beasties, White Zombie, Beck),
Classic Jazz (Duke Ellington, Billie Holliday, Miff Moll and his Mollers, Cab
Calloway).
Art: Anything Byzantine/religious icons, police photos, Coen bros. movies.
Shows: Law & Order, ER, McLaughlin Group, Nova, American Experience, Bramwell,
news.
Books: Science fiction, techno/spy-thrillers, contemporary non-fiction.
People: Like 'em. The more interesting, the better.
Family: Yes.
Food: Anything hot, prefer Indian, sushi, good barbeque, Tex-Mex (can't get much
in California). Can cook a mean burger/eggs and pretty good with the microwave,
too.
Homepage/my smiling face: http://www.best.com/~edscott/ (sorry, no biking stuff
yet, and I gotta update that sucker)

Doug Landauer

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Gee, it's starting to sound like we could put together a (SF)
bay area MTB musical revue, if we weren't all too busy.

Location: Santa Cruz Mountains -- not quite under the redwoods:
been there, done that, learned about mildew -- but close enough to
see them across the valley, from my front door.

2nd-generation Californian, born in Pasadena in 1952. Here ever
since, except for a brief (18-months) stint living in Upstate New
York (Rome), trying to rid myself of my prejudices about what a
nice place California is to live in. Didn't work, moved to San
Diego. Have lived in the San Lorenzo Valley for 18 years.

Family: married to Deborah for 16 years. My 22-year-old son Nik
moved (back) in with us this past summer, to go to Cabrillo College.
Came from a family of teachers (Mom, Dad, older brother, an aunt,
uncle, cousin, grandfather). Third of four boys.

Career: Software Engineer since my freshman year at UCLA (at 16,
in 1969), where my first job involved test programs to make
the ARPAnet's Host number 1 connect to its IMP. (Been doing C++
compiler work for the past 8 or 9 years.)

Bike: Santa Cruz Tazmon for the last 3 years. Giant clunky old
NO-suspension heavy Yokota (37 pounds!) for the previous 7 or so.
Learned to pick a good line...

Regular rides: Many of the ones Ed Scott mentioned (except that I don't
like Sierra Azul much, and don't get the chance to ride as often as I'd
like), plus Quail Hollow Park & Henry Cowell State Park.

Favorite rides: Bogg's Mountain; Mr Toad's Wild Ride; Wilder/Gray
Whale/Henry Cowell; and Henry Coe. Have ridden neither Downieville nor
Moab yet, hope to cure at least one of those lacks, this year. QHP is
only a two mile ride from my house. Wilder's farther, but is still a
reasonable day ride for me (through UCSC).

Activities/interests:
* like Trekkie Dad, I sing. Mostly in my car on my commute, but I
was in a madrigal group for many of the 10 years that I worked
at Sun. Tenor or Bass, depending on who else showed up. I go
caroling around the Sun campus around Christmastime each year.
* Sailing ... grew up around sailboats and sailed to Catalina for
my honeymoon. My cousin in Berkeley is into sailboat racing, so
I occasionally get to ride along with some of her friends.
* Hiking/backpacking ... my parents live in South Lake Tahoe :-).
* Skiing ... ditto. :-) :-)
I especially like cross-country skiing, partly because it's free.

* Programming language design: currently looking at python, java,
Haskell and Mercury.

Politics: I wish there were a libertarian party that wasn't quite
as extremely libertarian as the capital-L Libertarian Party.

Music: Anything with interesting enough melodies and lyrics. Since I
like to sing, I listen to music mainly so I can learn more songs to sing.
Most overproduced modern pop/rock stuff doesn't interest me much. I
like folk, singer-songwriters (e.g., David Wilcox, Dar Williams, Laura
Love), and a cappella. I play parts of a few pieces on the piano, mostly
Bach, and taught myself some classical guitar when I was in high school
(a video course on PBS), but haven't learned any other pieces in the 30
years since then :-(. I like Baroque and Rennaissance music, but with
very few exceptions (Tchaikovsky, Carl Orff), I dislike most classical
music written since about 1780.

And, not least, the tiny sounds that emerge when the city's sounds are
gone, when you stop the bike and just listen -- to the birds, the water,
the rustling leaves. Now *that's* music, to me.

Art: Saw the Picasso exhibit in LA last month. Bored me, his stuff just
doesn't do it for me. I like Dali, Escher, and more 3D stuff (sculpture)
than 2D (paintings). Aside from surrealist/trompe l'oeil things, my favorite
painting-type art is landscapes. Also like Native American art & sculpture.

Reading: Used to read Science fiction, not a lot else. Now I mostly
read USENET, tech books, and the Web. I've used filtering newsreaders
since they first started becoming available (in the early 80's?).

On alt.m-b, on r.b.o-r, and on rec.backcountry, I like to read the
trip reports and the occasional philosophical musings, and have
much less interest in postings about gear (I have some, it works,
why obsess?) I started the "no-gear" mailing list, but haven't
flogged it enough to bring much life to it. See
http://www.egroups.com/list/no-gear
for details, including my trip reports from Quail Hollow Park (MTB)
and the Emigrant Wilderness (backpacking with my son).

Favorite places: Saline Valley; Tahoe; Joshua Tree; Yosemite; Canyonlands
NP; the Trinity Alps; Zion; Telluride; Red Lodge, Montana (we own a cabin
there); Shasta; Lassen; the rest of the Sierra.

Favorite cities I've visited: Santa Fe (several visits); Portland;
Vancouver; Quebec City; Lund, Sweden.

Food: Thai (used to live in the Thai section of east Hollywood, with
six Thai restaurants within walking distance), Szechwan, Mexican (that was
one of the things I missed most when I lived in Rome), and lots of other
styles. Deborah is an amazingly good cook. I'm not.

Homepage: http://i.am/dal or (not in MSIE) http2//dal (sans colon).

My own page is very wimpy so far, but I have other stuff on the net:
I collected (and wrote a few of the entries in) the Dictionary of Mountain
Bike Slang at http://world.std.com/~jimf/biking/slang.html and wrote most
of the trail descriptions that live at Ross Finlayson's "Internet Mountain
Bike Park". Also posted several collections/lists to various newsgroups,
before there was much of a Web. I plan to update them and get them on my
web site, if I ever get the time. They include:

- silly Country Music song titles/lines
(e.g. "I Kissed Her on the Lips, and Left Her Behind for You",
and "I Don't Want Your Body If Your Heart's Not In It")
- funny folk songs
- city nicknames (Artichoke Center of the World, The Big Apple, etc)
- weird city resident names (Haligonian, Angeleno, Carioca)
- SF Bay Area freeway names (e.g., "Arthur H Breed" (I-680 through
Livermore); the "John Foran" freeway (I-280 in SF))

Other bikie stuff: I'm secretary of MBOSC <http://www.mbosc.org/>, the
Mountain Bikers Of Santa Cruz. We do monthly trail maintenance at
Wilder Ranch (I get out there once every two or three months). We hope to
update our web site Real Soon Now. Toying with the idea of becoming IMBA
state rep for Northern Calif -- a big job, but someone ought to be doing
it! I was an active participant in the "warp9" MTB email list at Sun, a
group of some 350 riders in the south (SF) Bay Area.

--
Doug Landauer land...@apple.com (work)
land...@scruznet.com (not-work)

Agincourt

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99

>1 stone = 14 lbs..
>11 Stone = 154 lbs..

By these numbers, I am the equivalent of a prominent load bearing wall.

--
Howard King
Augusta State University
Agincourt<at>mindspring<dot>com
Name, email address, and educational affiliation
are evidentiary, and is intended to express
responsibility for my post. Opinions, positions,
statements, either expressed or implied, and
any errors or omissions, both real and unintended,
are my own.

ERPaul

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Wow, What a great Thead!! I am 35 years old and have had the same wife for 8
years as of the 19th of this month. We have a 7 year old daughter and a 5
year old son. I got into Mtn. bike about 2 years ago, Infected from my
bestest brother inlaw Robert. My bestest Father in-law Dusty pitched in two
Chrismas's ago and helped me buy my Mongoose Amp. that I Have been to hell
and back on, and have not have a problem....
I have been upgrading as I go along. I Love to eat, and can afford it at
175lbs and ride about 80 to 100 miles aweek. I work as Emergency Medical
Tech. and a Emergency Room Tech. in to Trauma Centers in the Bay Area.. I
love Trauma!!! Well thats all I can think of..
Paul

gabr...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <01be438f$27eb7800$ca3aea9e@tom>,

"Nicholas Kitchener" <Kitch...@Logica.com> wrote:

> Well as everyone else is at it - If you can beat them join 'em (or was that
> nuke 'em?)> Age- 25
> Appearance: Tall (6'2), slim (11ish stone), short blonde hair, <snip>

Hey - what the hell is a "stone" anyway - is it like a kilogram, a pound, a
euro, or what???
-Gabe
(Yes, I'm yet another ignorant american...and that was NUKE 'em.)

Pete

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

gabr...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<785usb$be0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>In article <01be438f$27eb7800$ca3aea9e@tom>,
> "Nicholas Kitchener" <Kitch...@Logica.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well as everyone else is at it - If you can beat them join 'em (or was
that
>> nuke 'em?)> Age- 25
>> Appearance: Tall (6'2), slim (11ish stone), short blonde hair, <snip>
>
>Hey - what the hell is a "stone" anyway - is it like a kilogram, a pound, a
>euro, or what???
>-Gabe
>(Yes, I'm yet another ignorant american...and that was NUKE 'em.)

1 stone = 14 lbs
11 st = 154 lbs

Only in England could they still measure a persons weight by a bunch of
rocks in a field....:)

Pete
another non-ignorant American "nuke 'em till they glow"

Chico

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:13:21 -0800, land...@apple.com (Doug Landauer)
wrote:

> - weird city resident names (Haligonian, Angeleno, Carioca)

I'm a Haligonian!

Chico
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mike Vandeman

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:35:36 -0600, Roger Buchanan
<rbuc...@wpcusrgrp.org> wrote:

.Well, most of you know how much time I spent out of doors with my Dad. That in turn
.directed my interests in science through school and eventually took me down the
.path of Biology in University. I've got a technical diploma in Biological
.Technology and a B.Sc. in Biology. As I was always a talky kid, telling people
.everything they needed to know, but mostly what they didn't need to know, I also
.picked up a B.Ed. somewhere along the line. Have worked off and on, mostly off, as
.a term position classroom teacher or computer consultant. (I fell in with a group
.of computer users several years back, and my volunteer work eventually lead to the
.presidency of the organization. Got to meet some cool computer types along the way
.though). Basically, what I do isn't that interesting.

I agree, Roger!!!

That says it all! Mountain biking is an attempt by some unbelievably
boring people, who are unable to titillate themselves in any other
way, to enjoy themselves. They are completely unable to enjoy nature,
as it is.

.Rog,

---

http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles
More!: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Trekkie Dad

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <kjzp2.9984$yt4....@typhoon-sf.pbi.net>, "ERPaul"
<pk...@fsinc.com> wrote:

That's another reason I'd like to ride with Paul. I have a tendancy to fall....

--
Trekkie Dad | ICQ #14818568 | trekk...@yahoo.com
World Without Cars Dictionary (updated December 27, 1998) at
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/2356/wwc.html

Pete

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Dusty,

Whatever happened to that sooper dooper bike computer you were designing?

Pete

Mike Vandeman

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:55:37 -0800, "ERPaul" <pk...@fsinc.com> wrote:

.Wow, What a great Thead!! I am 35 years old and have had the same wife for 8
.years as of the 19th of this month. We have a 7 year old daughter and a 5
.year old son. I got into Mtn. bike about 2 years ago, Infected from my
.bestest brother inlaw Robert. My bestest Father in-law Dusty pitched in two
.Chrismas's ago and helped me buy my Mongoose Amp. that I Have been to hell
.and back on, and have not have a problem....
.I have been upgrading as I go along. I Love to eat, and can afford it at
.175lbs and ride about 80 to 100 miles aweek. I work as Emergency Medical
.Tech. and a Emergency Room Tech. in to Trauma Centers in the Bay Area.. I
.love Trauma!!! Well thats all I can think of..
. Paul

Thanks for the inside dope, guys. In addition to dishonest, boorish,
belligerent, and malevolent, I am now adding "BOOORING!"

With all the problems in the world, that desperately need to be solved
to make the world a better place for humans as well as all other
species, I would think that at least ONE of you would be doing
SOMETHING to benefit the community or the environment! But, NO! All
you guys are interested in is your own selfish, BOOORING pleasures.
Just as I suspected all along, except that you just PROVED it, by
giving us detailed catalogs of your lives and interests. If possible,
I am even more disgusted than I was before. Do you all think you were
put on the Earth just to titillate yourselves? Don't you think that
you are part of a world comunity, and have a responsibility to give
SOMETHING back to the community that works to make your titillation
possible????? Seriously, I want to puke, when I hear your stories.
They are just elaborations of "ME, ME, ME". You want the thrill of
crashing through wildlife habitat, without ANY of the responsibility
for ensuring that that wildlife survives beyond this century.
Seriously, you should all be ashamed of yourselves -- but undoubtedly
aren't -- probably aren't capable of feeling shame.

Dusty

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
They're really neat!

Dusty

Dusty

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Well, I did the research, got the ideas organized, and tracked down a few of
the vendors. I went to them with proposals firmly in hand. We had some
frank discussions on their "take" on those concepts. With their
involvement, we commissioned a review panel that canvassed a segment of
users, and found that you couldn't get any real consensus on what was
"wanted"--as opposed to what was "needed." Kinda like trying to get a
consensus in this NG on how to deal with our fool and his "helpers."

Being a, "techie," I wanted all the bells and whistles and gadgets and other
neat features. But some of the reviewers seemed to be happy with just a one
function (talk about a limited imagination...you'd think that they were all
hikers!), and preferred that that one to be off most of the time. With that
in mind, I put together a finding for the two vendors that showed a flicker
of interest. I proposed an incremental implementation using commonly
available hardware and software. All except for the display itself. That
will need to be custom.

At the moment, it looks like there will be 5 levels of capability, with only
the first 3 being completely defined at the moment. The fourth might be
done by very late summer, and who knows about the fifth. The display module
is slated to be cheap, and very durable. The control buttons are NOT on the
display, and are instead on a simple two function push-button under the
thumb. The uC unit will be mounted out of the way under the seat.

Given the way those vendors act--despite the big bucks they seem to find for
some of the televised events MTB'ers frequent, you'd think that I was asking
them to invest a sum of money somewhat in excess of what it took to develop
the space shuttle. I had no idea I'd be working with such tightwads.

Another thing that was a real surprise, I made a dozen layout proposals
using a fairly commonly available tool set for the PC. From the way they
looked at it, you'd think that I'd just unearthed the Rosetta Stone as an
example of how such a device would look. These boys (and lady) hadn't a
clue that a personal 'puter could actually be used for something other than
a desk status decoration....what sadness...

Dusty

Nicholas Kitchener

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Gabor <ga...@vmunix.com> wrote in article
<slrn7ae9ln...@vnode.vmunix.com>...
> In alt.mountain-bike, gabr...@my-dejanews.com <gabr...@my-dejanews.com>
wrote :
> # In article <01be438f$27eb7800$ca3aea9e@tom>,
> # "Nicholas Kitchener" <Kitch...@Logica.com> wrote:
> # >
> # > Well as everyone else is at it - If you can beat them join 'em (or
was that
> # > nuke 'em?)> Age- 25
> # > Appearance: Tall (6'2), slim (11ish stone), short blonde hair, <snip>
> #
> # Hey - what the hell is a "stone" anyway - is it like a kilogram, a
pound, a
> # euro, or what???
>
> I believe it's 14 pounds. Which makes this guy utterly skinny! :) I
> am 5'10" and weigh 200lbs. And no, I am not fat.

Yep.. that's genetic :( - no fat :)
I was 11.5stone at uni and was deadlifting twice my wieght :)

> # -Gabe
> # (Yes, I'm yet another ignorant american...and that was NUKE 'em.)
> #
> # -----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
> # http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

James M. Lane

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
The ULTIMATE BOOORE (deliberate combination of boring
and boor) environmental eunuch says we're all boring.
This from a unix box booter. LIKE WOW! All he can
handle (or that can handle being around the eunuch) are
computer boxes. Have you ever noticed he has not
mentioned doing something with someone else? All he
does is play with and by hisself.

Truly pathetic.

jim

Mike Vandeman wrote:

SNIP

> Thanks for the inside dope, guys. In addition to dishonest, boorish,
> belligerent, and malevolent, I am now adding "BOOORING!"
>
> With all the problems in the world, that desperately need to be solved
> to make the world a better place for humans as well as all other
> species, I would think that at least ONE of you would be doing
> SOMETHING to benefit the community or the environment!

And the eunuch made THIS reply to a paramedic/er type.
Now that really is doing something for the community,
isn't it. Again, the simplest things fly right over the
highbrow's head.

But, NO! All
> you guys are interested in is your own selfish, BOOORING pleasures.
> Just as I suspected all along, except that you just PROVED it, by
> giving us detailed catalogs of your lives and interests. If possible,
> I am even more disgusted than I was before. Do you all think you were
> put on the Earth just to titillate yourselves? Don't you think that
> you are part of a world comunity, and have a responsibility to give
> SOMETHING back to the community that works to make your titillation
> possible????? Seriously, I want to puke, when I hear your stories.
> They are just elaborations of "ME, ME, ME". You want the thrill of
> crashing through wildlife habitat, without ANY of the responsibility
> for ensuring that that wildlife survives beyond this century.
> Seriously, you should all be ashamed of yourselves -- but undoubtedly
> aren't -- probably aren't capable of feeling shame.

AND the organization I am building will be working with
at-risk youth as if that's only chopped liver, and not
giving something back to the community. Many of the
people showing for our organizational meeting were not
mountain bikers, but from other disciplines concerned
with these youths, teachers, counselors, etc. Another -
over the eunuch's head.

So if you still want to "puke" eunuch, feel free, but
as its a natural thing to do, do it in the wildlife
habitat you have for a backyard.

Shame, by the way, is something we all feel for you,
along with pity.

G.T.

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
absolutely, most interesting and friendly group of people i've ever hung out
with.

greg

Dusty wrote in message <787h9g$2hn$1...@usenet49.supernews.com>...
>They're really neat!
>
>Dusty

ERPaul

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Two gas company servicemen, a senior training supervisor and a young
trainee, were out checking meters in a suburban neighborhood. They parked
their truck at the end of the alley and worked their way to the other end.
At the last house a woman looking out her kitchen window watched the two men
as they checked her gas meter.

Finishing the meter check, the senior supervisor challenged his younger
coworker to a foot race down the alley back to the truck to prove that an
older guy could outrun a younger one.

As they came running up to the truck, they realized the lady from that last
house was huffing and puffing right behind them. They stopped and asked her
what was wrong.

Gasping for breath, she replied, "When I see two gas men running as hard as
you two were, I figured I'd better run too!"

Gearhead

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Hi All! I have really enjoyed reading about what everybody else is into. Aside from
being a full-time engineering student, I like hot rods, off-road machines (esp
homebuilts like the Scorpion), hunting, target shooting, fishing and the same stuff
as just about everybody else (hanging out w/ friends, etc). My current ride is a
Cannondale CAD3 with all XT or better w/ Manitou forks (not even a hiccup for the
entire setup so far... knock on wood). I am always on the search for upgrades that
fit into my pitiful budget. I also have a mtb web page that I have been trying to
work diligently on at:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/4217

Ride Hard!
Gearhead

zw...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
In article <36a73712...@news.pacbell.net>,
mjv...@pacbell.net wrote:

(off topic rant delated)

hmmm.

well, remember that children are importent to some people, and one mans trash
is another mans treasure.

> ---
>

> http://www.imaja.com/change/cigars/clinton/uses
> More!: http://home.pacbell.net/wakkawakka

Divx - Imagine if your toilet charged you 3.50 every time you flushed.

zw...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
In article <36a73251...@news.pacbell.net>,
mjv...@pacbell.net wrote:

now your just being silly :)

> I agree, Roger!!!
>
> That says it all! Mountain biking is an attempt by some unbelievably
> boring people, who are unable to titillate themselves in any other
> way, to enjoy themselves. They are completely unable to enjoy nature,
> as it is.
>
> .Rog,
>

> ---
>

> http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/lavalamp
> More!: http://home.pacbell.net/bob_carol_ted_alice

Ricky Glass

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Ricky Glass, 43, married 18 yrs this nov. Suffered a heart attack this
summer due to smoking 3 packs a day. Always loved biking, bought a bike
this xmas (and since I don't smoke anymore, can actually ride it). Have
to exercise and riding both on and off road looked like fun. Loved
riding as a kid in Brooklyn (actually in Queens but Queens doens't sound
as tough. :-) ;-) ). Mountain biking in Brooklyn during the 60's
consisted of riding and jumping off loading docks at full speed so I am
rather new to mountain biking.

Like to cook (like to eat really). I have two model train layouts and
working on a third.

I teach mathematics and computer science at a community college as my
day job.

ricky

--
... then again, I recall many things,
that doesn't mean they actually happened.

RastaMTB

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Ricky Glass, 43, married 18 yrs this nov. Bought a bike
this xmas Haveto exercise and riding both on and off road looked like fun.
Loved riding as a kid in Brooklyn
consisted of riding and jumping off loading docks at full speed so I am rather
new to mountain biking.

Like to cook (like to eat really). I have two model train layouts and working
on a third.

I teach mathematics and computer science at a community college as my day job.

ricky

--

Right on Ricky!!!

RastaMTB rides................

ERPaul

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

RastaMTB wrote in message <19990122005814...@ng32.aol.com>...

Ricky, Rasta means,,,,,,, Right on MON....

ebo...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Does anyone else get the general feeling that the troll spilled coffee on his
"o" key?

Ebola

Sorry, I haven't been wrong on any significant issue yet.
Mike Vandeman

Stuntskid

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
I agree. But all my mates think I'm sad.

Mist ©

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
What the hell are you doing in a Mountain Biking Newsgroup if you disagree
with the ideology? Look up nature, nature boy then mabey people will have an
interest in what you write. Because at the moment NOBODY CARES!

Mist

Mike Vandeman

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:09:39 GMT, "Mist ©" <newsg...@mistnet.8m.com>
wrote:

.What the hell are you doing in a Mountain Biking Newsgroup if you disagree
.with the ideology? Look up nature, nature boy then mabey people will have an
.interest in what you write. Because at the moment NOBODY CARES!

alt.mountain-bike is for discussing mountain biking, NOT just for
mountain bikers. If people didn't care, I guess they wouldn't be
participating in the discussion, WOULD YOU? I guess you must be lying,
as usual. Thanks for proving my point for me!

.Mist

---

http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles
More!: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Andy

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Good-

If I am so boring and dull(along with all other generically labeled
MTB'ers) then why are you here posting this here? You should be bored
of us by now, and for that matter long ago.

I wish I could be as exciting as you are, Sir Vandeman. Posting all
these messages that number in the 1000's regarding us dishonest,lying,
cheating , coniving MTB'ers and how evil we are. And now how boring we
are too.

I just can not imagine more exiciting things to do than what you do,
Mr. Vandeman. I will soon conform to your standards. I will sit at my
computer from now on when I have any spare time and inform people
that you all a bunch of losers and I am not. That is exciting. I know
it and my pet lemming knows it too. (Hmm)

Andy

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:29:43 GMT, mjv...@pacbell.net (Mike Vandeman)
wrote:

>Thanks for the inside dope, guys. In addition to dishonest, boorish,
>belligerent, and malevolent, I am now adding "BOOORING!"
>
>With all the problems in the world, that desperately need to be solved
>to make the world a better place for humans as well as all other
>species, I would think that at least ONE of you would be doing

>SOMETHING to benefit the community or the environment! But, NO! All

>you guys are interested in is your own selfish, BOOORING pleasures.
>Just as I suspected all along, except that you just PROVED it, by
>giving us detailed catalogs of your lives and interests. If possible,
>I am even more disgusted than I was before. Do you all think you were
>put on the Earth just to titillate yourselves? Don't you think that
>you are part of a world comunity, and have a responsibility to give
>SOMETHING back to the community that works to make your titillation
>possible????? Seriously, I want to puke, when I hear your stories.
>They are just elaborations of "ME, ME, ME". You want the thrill of
>crashing through wildlife habitat, without ANY of the responsibility
>for ensuring that that wildlife survives beyond this century.
>Seriously, you should all be ashamed of yourselves -- but undoubtedly
>aren't -- probably aren't capable of feeling shame.

Dan

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
Troll: v. To post an inflammatory article in the hope of
provoking a response. From the angling term. Troll n. One
who trolls. The best thing to do to a troll is to ignore it.

The post you're quoting is EIGHT days old! He's gone, for now, so just
enjoy it!

<snip>