Short ride report

1 view

miles todd

Jan 1, 2004, 10:50:57 PM1/1/04
We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't gotten
a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.

Miles

miles todd

Jan 1, 2004, 11:27:50 PM1/1/04
Bill S and Bill P emailed me some photos. Look at them here:

> http://24-25-222-11/~mdtodd/carrizocrash/

if that link doesn't work for you, wait for the video.

And yeah, I really did fall 150 feet or so, bouncing off rocks all the
way down. I am smiling in the carnage photos because I am a very happy
man, and not a dead body.

miles

John Harlow

Jan 1, 2004, 11:33:10 PM1/1/04
>> http://24-25-222-11/~mdtodd/carrizocrash/
>
> if that link doesn't work for you, wait for the video.
>
> And yeah, I really did fall 150 feet or so, bouncing off rocks all the
> way down. I am smiling in the carnage photos because I am a very
> happy man, and not a dead body.

Holy freakin cow! You sustained some serious damage there, man!

I'm surprised you didn't break anything!

so... what happened?

S o r n i

Jan 1, 2004, 11:43:09 PM1/1/04

No, I crashed. You CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill "glad you're back from the E.R. -- how many stitches and any broken
bones?" S.

miles todd

Jan 1, 2004, 11:59:39 PM1/1/04

John Harlow wrote:

> Holy freakin cow! You sustained some serious damage there, man!
>
> I'm surprised you didn't break anything!
>
> so... what happened?

I got a big, big owie. From falling off a cliff. And bouncing off

rocks all the way down.

My hand is broken, but it should be
ok in time to race in Tucson.

miles

miles todd

Jan 2, 2004, 12:00:54 AM1/2/04

I'm not sure how many stitches, and just my hand is broken.

miles

BB

Jan 2, 2004, 12:03:53 AM1/2/04
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 04:27:50 GMT, miles todd wrote:
> Bill S and Bill P emailed me some photos. Look at them here:
>
>> http://24-25-222-11/~mdtodd/carrizocrash/
>
> if that link doesn't work for you, wait for the video.

I had to substitute dots for dashes.

> And yeah, I really did fall 150 feet or so, bouncing off rocks all the
> way down. I am smiling in the carnage photos because I am a very happy
> man, and not a dead body.

Let us know. Hopefully its limited to the cuts & bruises we see in the
pic (that's bad enough!).

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

John Harlow

Jan 2, 2004, 12:27:27 AM1/2/04
> My hand is broken, but it should be
> ok in time to race in Tucson.

Bummer! Heal fast!

Here's a web based test to help you detemine which hand you broke. Which
sentence hurts to type?:

#1: "A sad case as a wad"

#2: "ok, I only pull junk"

?

MattB

Jan 2, 2004, 12:41:03 AM1/2/04
miles todd wrote:
<snip>

> I'm not sure how many stitches, and just my hand is broken.

Working link:
http://24.25.222.11/~mdtodd/carrizocrash/

Holy shit man! Looks like you got off easy
Glad you're relativley ok. What sort of break? Boxer?

Crap. That's a bad fall. But this you know.

Take care of those wounds!

Matt

> miles

Slacker

Jan 2, 2004, 2:43:31 AM1/2/04

Damn, that looked like a nasty place to go cliff diving. Thank God you
didn't get more hurt or worse... you're a very lucky man!

Now I'll be thinking about this tomorrow at SJT :^ (
--
Slacker

ZeeExSixAre

Jan 2, 2004, 4:25:49 AM1/2/04
> a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.

All I can say is YOU ARE DA MAN!

Heal up quick!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Stephen Baker

Jan 2, 2004, 7:14:06 AM1/2/04
Miles,

Congratulations on survival!

But, more importantly, how's the BIKE!!!!!!

;-)

Steve

miles todd

Jan 2, 2004, 9:32:12 AM1/2/04

the bike didn't fall. in this link you can see the trail i fell from,
and exactly where my bike stayed. you also get a better idea of what i
fell from, and had to climb back up.

> http://www.s92441708.onlinehome.us/carrizo/carrizo.htm

miles da man in plenty o pain...

miles todd

Jan 2, 2004, 9:35:53 AM1/2/04

MattB wrote:

i broke the ouside (pinky) metacarpal pretty good. multiple fractures.
i think the reason my hands took it so badly is that i was trying to
grab anything and everything as i ragdolled down the hill.
bill porter promised to have video ready this afternoon. i am curious
to see how it looked from a bystander's point of view.

miles

Dave W

Jan 2, 2004, 10:07:12 AM1/2/04
miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com> had this to say

> http://www.s92441708.onlinehome.us/carrizo/carrizo.htm

All I can say is DAMN!!! That is some serious shit Mr. Todd. I hope you
heal fast and never attempt another superman off a ciff!

Get well...

Dave (Damn!)

Jonesy

Jan 2, 2004, 1:53:44 PM1/2/04
miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com> wrote in message news:<BU5Jb.38806$Vs3....@twister.socal.rr.com>...

> We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
> soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't gotten
> a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.

Ouch-o-rama.

Heal up quick, OK?
--
Jonesy

JD

Jan 2, 2004, 3:51:49 PM1/2/04
miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com> wrote in message news:<BU5Jb.38806$Vs3....@twister.socal.rr.com>...

Geez Miles. One question I have is why the hell didn't anyone help
you back up the hill? Heal up dude.

JD

FlyingCoyote

Jan 2, 2004, 4:15:07 PM1/2/04
In news:BU5Jb.38806$Vs3....@twister.socal.rr.com,
miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com> scribbled:

Yikes! Eesh.... Glad you're mostly okay, Miles! Dang. That's a heckuva fall.

I hope you heal up quick, and kick some boot-tay at the race.

And you scrambles all the way back up yourself? Erps...

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

Mojo Deluxe

Jan 2, 2004, 5:13:45 PM1/2/04

"miles todd" <mdt...@san.rr.com> wrote in message
I nominate Miles for the am-b fall of the year.

Glad to know you're still breathing, dude.

miles todd

Jan 2, 2004, 5:21:18 PM1/2/04

any time they got close to the edge to try it would dislodge rocks and
send them my way. i had to keep hollering at them to quit it. they
were also convinced that there was no way to get back straight up from
where i stopped, and kept hollering at me to make my way around to a
shaley section. what they didn't realize is that the dirt was at the
angle of repose, and i had to step from weedy plant to tough weedy plant
to prevent further slipping. i wanted to get to the rocks as soon as i
could. what i didn't realize, though, is that the rocks were actually
pretty loose, and most i tried to pull myself up by would come adrift.
i really, really didn't want to fall back down, so i was super cautious
for the most part. a few moves needed to be fast, though, to get to the
next foothold before the one bearing my weight gave way.
it sucked, and my sidis weren't especially helpful on the rock, either.

miles

miles todd

Jan 2, 2004, 5:28:24 PM1/2/04

Mojo Deluxe wrote:

> Glad to know you're still breathing, dude.

thanks. me too. me too.

miles

tcmedara

Jan 2, 2004, 5:53:00 PM1/2/04

Would this fit in a Camelback?
http://tinyurl.com/3465u

Heal fast. Glad there was no major trauma.

Tom

Slacker

Jan 2, 2004, 6:01:42 PM1/2/04
>> We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
>> soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't
>> gotten a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing
>> sucks.
>>
>> Miles
>
> Would this fit in a Camelback?
> http://tinyurl.com/3465u
>
> Heal fast. Glad there was no major trauma.
>
> Tom

I think this might be a little more appropriate
http://www.totalcontrol.com.au/canopies.htm

--
Slacker

Rob

Jan 2, 2004, 6:26:30 PM1/2/04
miles todd wrote in message

Ouch!!!

Congratulations on your early lead in the AMB "biff of the year"

A friend nearly had a similar accident last year, fortunately (?) for him the stick that impaled his right butt cheek caught and
prevented him from falling to far.

Rob

GeeDubb

Jan 2, 2004, 6:51:20 PM1/2/04

I've got a friend that is a really good strong rider but he freaks out when
riding along a cliff line like that and gets off his bike and walks. I
can't wait to send him the link to these pix.

Glad you didn't get too messed up.

Wrap the hand good and get back to riding soon.

Gary

Bill Porter

Jan 2, 2004, 7:05:25 PM1/2/04
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:50:57 GMT, miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com>
wrote:

Miles, you certainly have my vote for luckiest rider of the year. I
thought I was watching you fall to your death.

Here is the video.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MilesCrash.mpg If you turn up
the audio you can hear yourself saying "F#$K Me!" on the way down.
When your replied to the are you okay question with "Not Really" it
was quite a relief.

I did not compress the video much and kept the format 720x480, which
makes this a 16MB file. If a bunch of folks having problems viewing
this, I'll stick up a more standard formatted file.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Mojo Deluxe

Jan 2, 2004, 7:03:26 PM1/2/04

"GeeDubb" <Gee...@qwest.net> wrote in message

> I've got a friend that is a really good strong rider but he freaks out
when
> riding along a cliff line like that and gets off his bike and walks. I
> can't wait to send him the link to these pix.

That sounds exactly like me, 'cept you replace the 'really good strong
rider' part with 'decent rider'. Thankfully, there are no cliffs here, but
would get off, and walk the bike along a high bluff. I'm painfully afraid of
heights.

Slacker

Jan 2, 2004, 7:05:32 PM1/2/04
> Here is the video.
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MilesCrash.mpg If you turn up
> the audio you can hear yourself saying "F#$K Me!" on the way down.
> When your replied to the are you okay question with "Not Really" it
> was quite a relief.
>
> Bill Porter

Man, that is so jacked up... Miles didn't want to do it, but you talked him
into it!
Hope you're picking up the hospital bill, Bill ;^ )
--
Slacker

Bill Porter

Jan 2, 2004, 7:19:43 PM1/2/04
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:05:32 -0800, "Slacker" <slac...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

No No No No, I'm the guy saying "Look at the penality for failure,
Dude" and promptly walked this section.

Bill

Slacker

Jan 2, 2004, 7:21:45 PM1/2/04
>> Man, that is so jacked up... Miles didn't want to do it, but you
>> talked him into it!
>> Hope you're picking up the hospital bill, Bill ;^ )
>
> No No No No, I'm the guy saying "Look at the penality for failure,
> Dude" and promptly walked this section.
>
> Bill

Who said, "Your not even gonna try it??"
--
Slacker

Penny S

Jan 2, 2004, 7:16:53 PM1/2/04
Mojo Deluxe scribbled on a scrap of paper:

I went off a cliff like that, that was even more narrow and forested. I was
walking the section and lost my footing on the soft edge. My bike got hung
up in the trees \, ended up about 30' below it.

Penny

Bill Porter

Jan 2, 2004, 7:47:48 PM1/2/04
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:21:45 -0800, "Slacker" <slac...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

That would be the other guy (Eric) who did attempt it, but dabbed to
the uphill side.

Bill

Slacker

Jan 2, 2004, 8:01:34 PM1/2/04
>> Who said, "Your not even gonna try it??"
>
> That would be the other guy (Eric) who did attempt it, but dabbed to
> the uphill side.
>
> Bill

Ah, sorry bout that.
--
Slacker

tcmedara

Jan 2, 2004, 8:13:07 PM1/2/04

After watching the video, you may be right.

Tom

ZeeExSixAre

Jan 2, 2004, 8:14:17 PM1/2/04
> I went off a cliff like that, that was even more narrow and forested. I
was
> walking the section and lost my footing on the soft edge. My bike got hung
> up in the trees \, ended up about 30' below it.

Hmm... did you fall 30' through the trees too? Sounds more like a EMS story
than a get-up-and-ride story...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Zilla

Jan 2, 2004, 10:29:30 PM1/2/04

All I can say is "Holy Sh***t!"

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Corvus Corvax

Jan 3, 2004, 12:07:21 AM1/3/04
miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com> wrote

> We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
> soon.

Caught the video. Fucking impressive! Amazing how those zero-mph
crashes are the ones that get ya, isn't it?

Heal up, and contemplate what a lucky sonavabitch you are.

CC

miles todd

Jan 3, 2004, 12:42:40 AM1/3/04

well, i am working on the healing part, but it will take a little while.
the grateful part explains the big, fat grin on my face after i
climbed back up. from the moment i stopped falling i have been very
happy to be alive.

miles

Zilla

Jan 3, 2004, 12:50:40 AM1/3/04

Who said "Did you film it?" right after the "Are you alright?" in the
same breath? Miles has 8 lives left...

Bill Porter

Jan 3, 2004, 1:28:43 AM1/3/04

Dialog for the Video

Eric: I decided I had no air on that one

Miles: Its even worse than it used to be
Eric: Oh Oh Oh why are ...

---SCENE CHANGE--

Eric Your not going to try it

Bill: Look at the penality for failure dude

Miles: Sure, I'll try it

-----SCENE CHANGE--

Eric: Oh fuck,...Thats a hell of a drop Miles
Miles: I know it thats why
Eric: Oh shit that a hell of a drop
Eric: There went my derailuer again
Eric: Be careful thats a hell of a ..Up
Eric Oh shit
Bill: Oh My..
Eric: Oh no
Eric: Oh Fuck
Eric: Oh Hell
Eric: Oh Shit

Miles: Oh Fuck ME

ERic: Ohh
Eric: Are you alright?
Eric: Did you film it?
Bill: Yeah
Eric: O Shit
Miles: Not really

Eric: Dont..Hey
Bill: Hey Sit down sit down Sit down
Eric: Sit down one minute miles until you know everthing is connected
Bill: Sit down

-Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

S o r n i

Jan 3, 2004, 1:58:18 AM1/3/04

And not paralyzed.

I didn't witness the "incident" (arrived just after), and have only watched
the video once. (Funny, the pics don't bother me, but the vid gives me the
willies.) It's simply Providence (YMMV) that he didn't break his neck or
back. There were a LOT of big rocks on either side of the fall line, so a
little this way or that and it could have really sucked a big sucky
suck-suck.

That is the precise type of fall/crash that's my worst nightmare: biffing
at a high-exposure spot and losing balance to the "BAD" side. Too much time
to know you're about to die. (Two or 3 close calls all I ever hope to
have.)

Gooseberry, "S-2", S.A.R.T., even San Juan Trail...DANGER! DANGER!
New-found respect for heights...

Bill "Will Robinson" S.

PS: Got all your stuff, Miles -- will drop it off soon so I can look at the
carn--- err, say Hi! (Sure am glad you're *mostly* OK :)

Joseph Ball

Jan 3, 2004, 2:40:14 AM1/3/04
wrote:

>We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter

>soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't gotten

>a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.
>
>Miles
awesome fall...there should be some video's of me and my buddy doing
stupid shit soon...so im sure i will be having alot of extra footage
of bloopers....i'm thinking of making a video called "things to do in
mobile when your high" and make it of nothing but just us doing
completely nuts insane shit....anyone want to participate let me know
we can all meet up out there =)

Joseph Ball

Jan 3, 2004, 3:03:14 AM1/3/04

i'm also glad you're allright =) I forgot to put that in there! sorry

Joe

Bill Wheeler

Jan 4, 2004, 9:30:08 AM1/4/04
wrote:

>We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
>soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't gotten
>a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.
>
>Miles

Heal fast,
Bill
...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Monique Y. Herman

Jan 4, 2004, 4:01:54 PM1/4/04
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 at 00:05 GMT, Bill Porter penned:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:50:57 GMT, miles todd <mdt...@san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
>>soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't
>>gotten a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.
>>
>>Miles

Holy ...

After seeing that, all I can say is, wow, Miles, you are one lucky SOB.
I'm amazed that you "only" got the injuries you have. Heal fast!

--
monique

onefred

Jan 4, 2004, 4:19:03 PM1/4/04
"Joseph Ball" <joe...@digiscape.com> wrote in message

Nah, one Jackass film is enough. I think it was meant to be a comedy but it
was more like a horror flic... Go rent it if you haven't seen it.

Dave

Charles Beristain

Jan 5, 2004, 9:24:42 PM1/5/04
miles
you are very lucky to be around to ride another day... what a terrible
fall.. ouch!!
I see the video is no longer available online... too much activity?
:-) , bet half the world has seen it already.

charlie

Bill Porter

Jan 5, 2004, 11:50:48 PM1/5/04

Too Much Traffic Indeed! I normally see somewhere around 25-30GB a
month total. I got 53GB in two days after posting the video. My ISP
charges $8/per GB for overusage so I had no choice.

There is a link to it's temporary home on another site on my videos
page.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Monique Y. Herman

Jan 6, 2004, 12:14:02 AM1/6/04
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 at 04:50 GMT, Bill Porter penned:

Not to plug my host or anything, but iirc, pair.com eliminates the
highest-bandwidth day from your monthly charges. That way, if you're
hit by the slashdot effect (or, apparently, the a.m-b effect), you don't
get unduly penalized.

--
monique

Charles Beristain

Jan 6, 2004, 7:15:56 AM1/6/04
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:50:48 GMT, Bi...@drop2reply.mountainbikebill.com
(Bill Porter) wrote:

>Too Much Traffic Indeed!

bill

who says that only good news travels fast <G>

charlie

ps-- thanks for the temp. site... i downloaded it to the hard drive.

Craig Brossman

Jan 6, 2004, 8:52:00 AM1/6/04
Charles Beristain wrote:

Miles, I just saw the video and I am so glad you are OK. That was double
tough!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Roger Buchanan

Jan 6, 2004, 3:11:29 PM1/6/04

miles todd wrote:

> We went riding today, and I crashed. Expect a video from Bill Porter
> soon. Riding back to the cars was painful, and it really hasn't gotten
> a lot better since then. All I can say is that crashing sucks.

Here, here! However, there is that certain feeling of "oh man I almost
made that section" or "whoa, that coulda been a lot worse" that always
followed a crash. Well, actually mine was mostly a "heh-heh-heh...that
crash really tickled!" (Even my crashes were low on the Wow scores)

I find myself wishing that I actually *could* crash. And, no, I don't
mean that I'm so good that I never crash. Rather the opposite, I've been
forbidden from crashing. Two Dr's and one loving riding partner (my
wife) have forbidden me from riding the trails that pose a risk of
crashing. Prior to my surgery NO trail was too simple that I couldn't
find a way to crash on it. Needless to say my choice of riding trails
has been whittled down a lot!

I used to take crashing as an expected part of the learning curve, even
if it was relating to stuff that most amb'ers would laugh at. For me a
crash reinforced the fact that I was at least pushing the envelope,
though be it a rather small envelope at that.

It's a lot harder to ride "not to crash" than most people would think.
And you have to really work at making those types of rides fun in any
way possible. It's never fun to tell people why you can go riding on a
certain trail with them... It's like being caught in a time trap. I can
only ever by this good, never better, because of the associated
risks/repercussions.

I never thought that I'd miss my feeble, yet somehow hilarious, mtb
crashes, but I do.

Glad you were able to get yourself back to the trailhead under your own
power, and I hope you're feeling up to your usual self before too long.

--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.