False Neutral problem in Harley 5-speeds?

gra...@my-deja.com

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
My '89 Softail 5-speed has a very nasty habit of ending up in neutral
when shifting up from 3rd to 4th gear. This only happens when
accelerating strongly, like when entering a freeway or passing a car.
When it hits neutral, another upshift puts it in 5th; a downshift puts
it in 2nd. This is driving me NUTS!! It has been this way for 8000
miles since new. The dealer said "it will break in"; never did. Anyone
else have this problem? Any ideas what might be going on here? Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

<*}}><

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Probably unrelated... Had a similar problem from 1st to 2nd thru N. Was the
heel shifter striking the floorboard. Minor linkage adjustment . Good luck

--
Fish, YFD
CapeCodMa

HogDoctor

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
gra...@my-deja.com wrote:

> My '89 Softail 5-speed has a very nasty habit of ending up in neutral
> when shifting up from 3rd to 4th gear. This only happens when
> accelerating strongly, like when entering a freeway or passing a car.
> When it hits neutral, another upshift puts it in 5th; a downshift puts
> it in 2nd. This is driving me NUTS!! It has been this way for 8000
> miles since new. The dealer said "it will break in"; never did. Anyone
> else have this problem? Any ideas what might be going on here? Thanks!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

First make sure that nothing is binding in the linkages, and all is lubed
and free.
Third gear centering should be checked (refer to yer FM)
The shifter peg should just barely touch to top of your toe when centered.
(unless
you're a heel shifter, in which case is should clear the footboard when
upshifting
to -all- gears)

8000 miles in eleven years?
Go ride some more.

HogDr

Remove *nospam* to reply
HD Dealer Technician at your service......
My Employer's site: http://www.wishd.com (need Javascript on)
My site: http://www.execpc.com/~patrickz/patricksite.htm

Mark Kutil

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
I've been told that false neutral problems can be blamed on the shift arm
not being centered. The shift arm is connected to the shift rod and actuated
by moving the shift lever at the other end with your foot. This arm turns
the shift drum and is located between the transmission and the inner
primary. Try this: put the tranny in 3rd gear then push the shift arm with
your thumb. It should move forward about the same distance as backward from
the center postion. If there is noticeably more movement in one direction,
there is an adjuster nut located at the base of the shift arm. This may
require a special tool to get at it but if you can, adjust the arm so
movement is the same distance forward and back. If you are not mechanically
inclined or can't get at the nut, take it to your favorite mechanic and ask
him/her to adjust it for you. Hope this helps.

Bill Hauls Ass

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Try using Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85-140W in the transmission. Shifting gets
no better than this hot or cold.

Keep That Rubber Down,
Bill
99 Fatboy

Dave

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
This can be fixed in some cases by adjusting the shift lever. There is an
adjustment right behind the shift lever on the outside of the tranny case.
The best fix is to get an Sputhe Posi-shift, about $70 and makes each shift
a positive lock.

What is happening is that the shift pawl is pushing the shift drum past 4th
into oblivion between 4th and 5th so the adjustment, if done right, prevents
the overthrow from happening. Odd thing is, I've only seen it happen between
3rd and 4th. Must be the geometry in the design.

Hope this helps.

--
Remove A & T from return address to reply.

David C. Kuhlman
CMA Lifetime Member

Motorcycles, a way of life.

Jesus, the way to life, ...Eternal!

John 3:16
John 8:32
Romans 8:28
<IXOYE><

Tom Hargrave Jr.

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Mu 92 FLHTCU does the same thing. It's a common problem.

Tom
In article <85lc1c$ghl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, gra...@my-deja.com says...

--
Tom Hargrave
Tom's Harley-Davidson & Sidecar Page

SOS Engineering

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
The 5' on the Sportster 1200S seems OK. Had trouble finding Neutral for a
while till she broke in a bit. Seems OK now.

Sean McHenry
1200S Owner.