Is memory foam helpful for sleeping pain

kurt krueckeberg

Oct 15, 2002, 2:28:50 PM10/15/02
Has anyone tried memory foam or some other type of mattress topper for
reducing pain while in bed?
Any recommendation?

thanks,
Kurt

mrmossis

Oct 15, 2002, 11:36:22 PM10/15/02
Kurt,

I have a 3 inch mattress pad I bought on line for about $100.00 As soon as
I can afford it, I plan on buying the mattress. It is the most comfortable
mattress I have every laid on (the one at the back store). While the pad
helps, it is still not like the whole mattress being made of the stuff. I
laid on one at the back store for 10 minutes. No painful pressure points,
it was wonderful. That mattress is definitely on my "wish" list.

Mo

"kurt krueckeberg" <res0...@verizon.net> wrote in message

nojunk

Oct 16, 2002, 1:08:12 AM10/16/02
I had a feather topper for years that I liked and now a Cuddle Ewe which I also
like. Anything soft and fluffy helps. For price, I'd go with the feathers. They
usually start going on sale this time of year.
Kathi
A perfectly wonderful person

YVONNE Critter Crusader

Oct 16, 2002, 12:52:19 AM10/16/02
I can certainly attest to what Mo says!! I have 2 of the pillows, and
they are shaped like regular pillows.......not the ones with the doggone
cut-outs and/or curves.........they are shaped just like a regular,
standard size pillow, and I absolutely LOVE THEM!! I literally never
leave home without one!!

When I go visit my grkids and stay at my daughters, I ALWAYS take my
pillows with me without fail!!

I would *gladly* give up a whole year of ''something'' just to have one
of their mattresses (beds)!!
I have tried them out, too, and dearly loved it!! I wished to heck I
had the money to buy one! I sleep so well on the pillows, and believe
it or not, they really DO minimize me waking up with the neck pain and
headaches! They put absolutely NO pressure whatsoever on my head, neck
or shoulders and that is why I would NEVER go back to anything else!!
The pillows I bought retail for $70.00 a piece..........however, I got
an excellent deal on them at the PX because they sell them, too!! I
probably would not have been able to buy them otherwise, but let me tell
ya!! It was the best money I have spent in YEARS on anything!! :>))

I am SO protective of them, that I won't let anyone else lay on them;
or, cuddle with them, etc. When I get up in the a.m., I immediately put
my pillows in the hope chest for the day; until bedtime, so no one else
(meaning the ''warden'' and/or the family at my daughters house) can
lay on them; or take a chance of spilling something on them cuz at my
daughters, I have to sleep on the couch, and that's also where everyone
likes to munch on snacks or sit and drink pop, or whatever, in front of
the t.v.

Guess I kind of went overboard here about my pillows, but what I am
trying to say is that if the beds are anything like the pillows (and,
from what I can tell, they are!) then I would guard that with my life,
too, cuz it's worth it; especially for us FM'ers!!

I envy anyone who has the bed!! If anyone in here speaks up and
confesses to having one, I will surely be the first to pack my bags and
hitch a ride to where that is cuz I will be BEGGING to have a sleep over
just to spend a couple of nites on that//those mattresses!! LOL!!

My advise is, IF you can afford it, then do it!! You won't regret it!!
And, if you DO get the bed, then don't forget the pillows.......at least
one.........cuz you would be defeating the whole purpose of the bed
without one, IMHO.

Good luck!! Let us know if you get one, K?? and, where you found it,
and how much, K?? I am VERY interested, especially if you find a good
deal on it!! :>))

Big, ''memory-soft'' hugz!!

Yvonne
----------------

Is memory foam helpful for sleeping pain

Group: alt.med.fibromyalgia Date: Tue, Oct 15, 2002, 6:28pm (EST+5)
From: res0...@verizon.net (kurt krueckeberg)

Kurt
----------------------

Re: Is memory foam helpful for sleeping pain

Group: alt.med.fibromyalgia Date: Wed, Oct 16, 2002, 3:36am (EST+5)
From: mrmo...@cox.net (mrmossis)

Kurt,

I have a 3 inch mattress pad I bought on line for about $100.00 As soon
as I can afford it, I plan on buying the mattress. It is the most
comfortable mattress I have every laid on (the one at the back store).
While the pad helps, it is still not like the whole mattress being made
of the stuff. I laid on one at the back store for 10 minutes. No painful
pressure points, it was wonderful. That mattress is definitely on my
"wish" list.

Mo

[Please send all mail/replies to YS...@EXCITE.COM]

ROSETTA

Oct 16, 2002, 1:11:20 AM10/16/02
JUST A THOUGHT---I USE A BODY PILLOW AND THAT REALLY HELPS ME.

johnie

Oct 16, 2002, 2:48:43 AM10/16/02
ROSETTA wrote:

> JUST A THOUGHT---I USE A BODY PILLOW AND THAT REALLY HELPS ME.

Its not cheap to get the good stuff but it really has helped me. I also
use a body pillow also, but the body foam seems to be the help I needed.

johnie

YVONNE Critter Crusader

Oct 16, 2002, 4:46:46 AM10/16/02
[p & e]

Hi, Ziggy,

''Memory Foam'' and ''Tempurpedic'' are just two of the ''brand names''
that I can think of. Developed in Sweden, and also used by NASA. Here
is a link that will lead you to lots more info!! :>)) BTW....did ya
see my post? I absolutely LOVE my pillows!! Wished to heck I had
the $$ for the bed!!!

results for "memory foam tempurpedic"
http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=web&cs=iso-8859-1&l=any&q=memory+foam+tempurpedic

Hugz!!

Yvonne

------------------

Re: Is memory foam helpful for sleeping pain

Group: alt.med.fibromyalgia Date: Wed, Oct 16, 2002, 6:37am (EST+5)
From: Zi...@World.Wide.Circus

I just went from a king sized waterbed to the hardest hospital
bed/mattress that could possibly be made. They wanted to elevate my head
due to breathing problems. However, it's like sleeping on concrete. I
bought a regular mattress pad but the thickest one they had and that
didn't do anything.

So, I bought one of those cheap eggshell looking mattress pads at kmart
and that has helped a little. But what you're talking about sure sounds
nice.

Does it have a name?

Ziggy

Ms. Jules

Oct 16, 2002, 11:59:56 AM10/16/02
> "kurt krueckeberg" <res0...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried memory foam or some other type of mattress topper
for
> > reducing pain while in bed?
> > Any recommendation?

A sometimes cheaper alternative is a good featherbed. I used one
before we got a pillowtop mattress and it helped a lot. I no longer
woke up with sore trigger points caused by the firmer mattress. They
can be gotten at pretty much any department store. Good luck.

Julie

SabracadabrA

Oct 16, 2002, 1:44:09 PM10/16/02
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:11:20 -0500 (CDT), snowb...@webtv.net
(ROSETTA) wrote:

>JUST A THOUGHT---I USE A BODY PILLOW AND THAT REALLY HELPS ME.

I use the long body pillows also. Actually 2 as well as 3 normal
pillows up around my neck and shoulders. It really seems to help in
keeping the weight off my shoulders and ribs, even if I wind up
sleeping at all odd angles.

Been debating getting a 3rd Body pillow since they are fairly cheap at
Wallyworld, last one was only $9.99. Any more pillows and I wont need
a mattress 8P

Stephen

rinehart

Oct 16, 2002, 4:45:55 PM10/16/02
I personally have a water bed and love it. I have thought of maybe changing
to a regular bed but afraid that my back would totally freak!! Right now to
me the best position to sleep is in what they call the 'spooning postion'.
With OH(other half) curled up behind me the heat from him does wonders for
the aches and pains. Melissa

Sharon Perloff

Oct 16, 2002, 5:04:51 PM10/16/02

MMMmmmm, sounds nice. :) I can't sleep like this though, or my whole
back, sides and abdomen are sore when I wake up the next morning. But
it is a great thing for falling asleep, (until hubby starts snoring
*loudly*! lol)

-Sharon

--
Clear your mind, relax and float downstream.

mrmossis

Oct 17, 2002, 12:10:51 AM10/17/02
Ziggy,

I used to love firm mattresses! Now I couldn't stand the pain. Anyway, I
wanted to tell you I sleep elevated when I sleep. I found one of those
adjustomatic beds in the classified cheap, and I really like it. I am very
fat, and find it just more comfortable for me to sleep elevated, and also,
it takes some of the pressure off of my hips.

Mo

<Zi...@World.Wide.Circus> wrote in message
> Thanks. I appreciate you looking it up for me. It was quite the shock
> for me going from my nice soft waterbed (full flotation) to a hospital
> style mattress that is specially made for extra heavy people. When I
> first got it and didn't have the mattress pad on it yet, I could set a
> glass on it and the liquid didn't even hardly jiggle when I sat down on
> the bed next to it. Now, that's a firm mattress. :) Thanks again for the
> link.
>
> Ziggy

tigerbunny

Oct 17, 2002, 12:31:56 AM10/17/02
Holy cow, I LOVE that stuff. I have a friend for whom I house/cat sit
occasionally. She doesn't know that I would pay her to sleep in that bed. The
first time I was over there, I think I spent 80% of my weekend in bed.

When I hit the lotto, that's the first thing I'm buying.

Since I haven't yet, my parents bought me a CuddleEwe, and I ADORE it. It's
high, so I felt like I was sleeping on top of a mountain, but in a warm fuzzy
nest on a mountain! I take it with me (it's only a twin) everywhere. [well,
except to the tempurpedic house!]

If you got the bucks, my recommendation is buy the mattress!

tigerbunny

Linkstolearning

Oct 17, 2002, 11:04:43 PM10/17/02
Oh gosh, I would love to buy one of those mattress pads you are talking about.
I have a very soft pillow top mattress but it is not enough for comfort. I
need more more more!!! I think lying in a bed of feathers would be great if I
could but...... lately I noticed how much I hurt when I try to sleep. I will
seriously consider such a mattress pad.

MOT

O.Phooey

Nov 11, 2002, 11:29:14 PM11/11/02
Just bought a queen sized "visco-elastic" 4" thick, 4lb. density
mattress topper from Marks 1/2 price mattresses on E-bay. Came with a
3lb density foam pillow. $170 + delivery $25. Feels great, and seems
to be the best deal around.

cozy

Nov 13, 2002, 10:12:31 PM11/13/02
I put 5 inches of blue foam pad on my mattress and it was almost there but
it didn't give good enough. I then put an eggcrate on top of that.
Together on a good mattress it works GREAT.

--
- Cozy
when you look at my pictures, you can see what happened...

O.Phooey <js...@excite.com> wrote in message