Finally, control over my sinus infections, and my sinusitis, after decades! What great relief!

Can do

Oct 17, 2003, 8:30:31 PM10/17/03
No more chronic sinus infections!!! After decades of miserable infections,
allergy shots and surgery, caused by sinusitis, I finally have the condition
under control. I feel great!

I have found a method to effectively treat or prevent sinus infections.

I buy a plastic saline nasal spray, for about $2.50, at Walmart and empty
it. I then fill the empty saline nasal sprayer with a pinch of baking soda,
a pinch of salt, 3ml to 5ml of ‘common store bought’ 3% hydrogen peroxide
and 50ml water. I never exceed 5ml of 3% peroxide to 50ml of water, or a one
to ten dilution of 3% peroxide to water AT MOST!

When I first started experimenting with the sinus irrigation, I used more
than 15ml of 3% peroxide and it really burned my sinuses and made them
worse. So I never use more than one part of peroxide to 10 parts of water.

Hydrogen peroxide can be very irritating to the sinuses, so I am very
careful with the mixture. If I use too much peroxide, to water, it makes me
feel like I have a head cold for several days, and, although it still worked
at getting rid of my sinus infection, it burned like hell and left me very
stuffy and sick feeling for several days.

To do the sinus irrigation, I kneel, and place the top of my head down onto
the floor of my shower and spray the contents firmly into my sinuses, which
are tilted upwards. It is really not as bad as it sounds. In fact, it beats
the HELL out of getting sinus infections and taking antibiotics.

I place my head on the shower floor so that my sinuses are facing upwards,
so that I don't swallow any of the mixture and so that I can let the mixture
soak deep into my sinuses. The more clogged my sinuses, the longer I keep my
head down on the shower floor, letting the mixture seep into my sinuses. I
want the antibacterial/cleaning mixture of peroxide, baking soda, and salt
to really soak into my sinuses. I shake the mixture occasionally and make
sure that I spray most of it into my "upside down" sinuses. I spray it into
both nostrils, and after they fill up, when I spray into one nostril it
comes out the other. I keep my head upside down on the shower floor for a
few minutes after the irrigation in order for the mixture to get deep into
my sinuses. I even shake my head and contort my face in order to help work
the mixture into the sinuses. I don’t know how much that helps, and it
probably makes me look like an idiot, but who cares-----, nobody is
watching! <g> A lot of the mixture usually foams out of my sinuses, down my
forehead and onto the shower floor. I keep my eyes closed so that it doesn't
drain into my eyes.

Even at 3ml peroxide to 50ml water, it burns somewhat. Most of the time it
just burns a little, sometimes quite a bit (depending upon how sensitive my
sinuses are at the time), but nothing severe, and there is no additional
discomfort after the treatment is over. The first treatment, or two,
produces a lot of foam. Sometimes there is a mix of foam with blood.
Sometimes there is very little foam and a lot of bloodish water. It is not
the most pleasant experience, but it isn't too bad, and it works for me.
When I first started using this type of irrigation, I gave myself several
treatments within an hour, to treat a suspected infection. Now, I might use
one or two treatments, and then do the same thing for a day or two. The
number of treatments I use is based on the amount of garbage that needs to
be flushed from my sinuses and how my sinuses feel. If the discharge is
relatively clean, and my sinuses are not too bad, I limit the number of
irrigations. I’ll wait a few days after the treatments. If my sinuses do not
improve I plan to re-treat them, but I have not had to retreat in the past
two years. Just a couple of irrigations for one or two days seems to improve
the functioning of my sinuses and takes away that ‘getting a cold’ feeling.

Every time I get stuffiness that lasts for a couple of days, and if it seems
to be getting worse, I use the treatment, and I've used it many times over
the past two years. The result-------- I have not had to use antibiotics in
the past two years, and I have not had an untreatable infection. Every time
I feel like my sinuses might be infecting, I treat myself. The treatment
takes less than ten minutes. Not bad to ward off infections! Every time my
sinuses start to ache, I treat them. Junk comes out, and the ache goes away.

After a series of treatments, it still takes a few days for the sinuses to
get better, but when they do, I feel great, with wide open and calm sinuses.
What a great relief to not have to use antibiotics several times a year!

Before each irrigation, I place a towel and a tissue nearby. After the
treatment I lift my head, while it's in the shower, and let my sinuses drain
into the shower. It can look pretty bloody, foamy and nasty. I then clean my
forehead of the foam that seeped out of my sinuses during the treatment.
(This is not something I do in front of a girlfriend that I am trying to
impress.) I don't blow my nose for a few minutes in order to give the
mixture a little longer to do its job. After that, I blow my nose.

The first few times I did this treatment, the discharge was real nasty, but
not any longer. I am guessing that a lot of junk gets stuck up into the
sinuses for a long time and that the "soaking, upside down" irrigation helps
to loosen most of the junk. Just recently my sinuses were aching. I did an
irrigation, and some weird junk came out and the aching went away. I used to
suffer with achy sinuses for days. Now the aching stops after only one
irrigation. The irrigation really works for me!

It is my understanding that some infections can stay dormant in the sinuses
for years, and only become ‘active’ infections when certain events activate
them. To me, that is why my infections kept returning several times a year.
I don’t think that the antibiotics ever really get rid of the problem, but I
don’t know for sure. I don’t know if I get sinus infections anymore. But, I
don’t worry about them. If I get stuffy for several days, I just irrigate
and forget about it. I feel much better!

I wanted to share my experiences with other sufferers. Does anyone do a
similar type of irrigation, or has anyone found a more effective and less
messy method? This seems safe and effective for me, but I have no idea if
this type of sinus treatment would help others, or make their conditions
worse. Not being a doctor, I don’t recommend this for anyone unless they
check with their doctor first.

Can do

Oct 25, 2003, 6:38:23 PM10/25/03
My sinuses were very stuffy and clogged for three full days after I just
recently did an "upside down" irrigation with peroxide,baking soda and salt.
I just did the one irrigation. I don't breath through my sinuses when I am
doing the irrigation. I went to sleep plugged up and woke up, plugged up,
three days.

Right now my sinuses are open and feeling pretty damn good, and the "feeling
like I am getting a cold", is gone. During this time, and up to now, I did
not using any cold or sinus medicine, and I don't plan to. I've had sinus
surgery, allergy shots, acupuncture treatments and decades of sinusitis
misery. I finally feel that I have control over my sinus problems.

Usually I use 3ml hydrogen peroxide to 50ml water. This time I used 5ml
hydrogen peroxide to 50ml of water, which might explain why my sinuses were
more swollen than normal for three day after the irrigation.

Hydrogen Peroxide is very harsh on the sinuses. From now on I won't use more
than 3ml of peroxide to 50ml of water, unless the 3ml isn't effective in
treating my sinus problems, in which case I will use 5ml once again.

Just wanted to post an update, just in case anyone is reading these
postings. As always, no one should try what I am doing unless they check
with their doctor.

Can do

Nov 5, 2003, 4:43:01 PM11/5/03
Sinus stuffed up for a few days last week. I wanted to ward off any
possibility of infection, and also clean out my sinuses, so a few days ago,
I did an "upside down" peroxide irrigation with 5ml peroxide to 50ml
filtered water, a pinch of baking soda and a pinch of salt. Once again, I
did not breath in through my nose, in order to avoid sucking the mixture
into my Eustachian Tubes.

This time it opened me up right after the irrigation. My sinuses feel pretty
damn good and I don't intend to irrigate again until needed.

"Can do" <rasm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

amanda

Nov 10, 2003, 11:59:32 PM11/10/03
"Can do" <rasm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<hWCmb.44199$h47....@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...

Thanks for the info. Also, I am happy for you.

Can do

Nov 11, 2003, 9:32:26 AM11/11/03
Thanks for the kind words!

I've also posted here, a full description of the "upside down" sinus
irrigation that I use to treat or prevent sinus infections. Also posted was
an actual log, showing my experience using the irrigation technique.

Have you been able to read it? Do you think that it would be something you
could use?

Just curious..... I get very little feedback, and I am wondering if the
"upside down" peroxide, sinus irrigation is helping others like it helped
me. It's now been over two years without having to use antibiotics for sinus
infections.

ps: I'm back to 5ml peroxide to 50ml water. My sinuses must have been
over-sensitive the last time I used 5ml.

Regards...............

"amanda" <amand...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Can do

Dec 10, 2003, 8:49:56 PM12/10/03
Just got feedback from another forum. I will repost it here:

Thank you for this website! You have saved my life. I suffer
and suffer from non stop sinus infections. I now feel
great and no more antibiotics!!!!! My sinus infections also
used to go into my lungs from time to time. Gone too!!!!
I can now live life. No more headaches.

THANK YOU!
Katerina

"Can do" <rasm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

clutch

Jan 28, 2004, 4:58:25 PM1/28/04
Hey Can Do

Just wanted to say that I am very excited (and grateful) for the opportunity to try a more natural approach to treating my chronic sinusitus. I am currently experiencing my second sinus infection in 6 weeks and taking another course of antibiotics.

A little more history...

My infections generally respond well to antibiotics, meaning I feel much, much better after 3 days or so. By the end of two weeks of treatment with antibiotics, I usually feel as though I am totally clear. This is a new response, only achieved since I had surgery almost one yr ago today (jan 03). Before the surgery, antibiotics helped with acute symptoms but I never felt fully well. I would get an infection every 3 months, like clockwork. I felt great after the surgery and only had my first infection 6 months later. Now, I am beginning to experience the chronic symptoms again (i.e. never feeling fully recovered).

I am quite educated on the subject but I haven't heard of using H2O2 as a treatment. generally, I tell any doctor I see what works and what doesn't for my particular situation; they basically do whatever I suggest re: antibiotics and other treatments. (I did see a doc recently who wasn't familiar with my history, who tried to tell me that antibiotics would do nothing for me. After much arguing, I cut a deal explaining that I would return in two weeks and educate him on just how necessary antibiotics were for acute exacerbations of my chronic condition. I plan to call him tomorrow). I am halfway thru a Biaxin regimen and feel almost well, but I know it is only temporary. Currently, I cannot even go out to a bar that is at all smoky without developing a sinus infection a few days later. I will begin the H2O2 irrigation tonight and keep you posted.

Thanks for such a thorough explanation of the procedure.

Regards
Kevin

Well, I will

CanDo

Jan 28, 2004, 9:01:10 PM1/28/04
===> Kevin, you wrote: "Currently, I cannot even go out to a bar that is at

all smoky without developing a sinus infection a few days later. I will
begin the H2O2 irrigation tonight and keep you posted.

Thanks for such a thorough explanation of the procedure." <===

My pleasure. I can't drink beer anymore without stuffing up badly. But now,
at least, I don't have to worry about getting another sinus infection. If my
sinuses get stuffed up again, I just do "upside down sinus floodings" until
the danger of re-infection passes. Hopefully it will keep on working for me.
And..... hopefully it will work for you!

To follow along with others who are using "upside down sinus floodings" with
peroxide and baking soda:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210