Russian School: Parents' Answer to Everyday Math Junk

Dom

Apr 16, 2008, 8:48:08 PM4/16/08
At a recent math conference, a speaker deviated from her presentation
to discuss the Everyday Math Junk that has been adopted in Newton, MA.
According to the town, $10 million has been spent on this Junk. In
Sept. 2006, so many parents complained that last September the parent
informational night was not held. Many parents are now paying to send
their children to the after-school and weekend programs at the Russian
School in Newton. This school is so popular that a branch has been
opened in Needham.

Beliavsky

Apr 17, 2008, 8:36:48 AM4/17/08

Thanks for this information. I don't live far from Newton, and I will
look into this school. The web site is http://www.russianschool.com/ .
I don't know if Everyday Math is worse than the the multicultural math
curriculum http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/003450.html Newton has
previously been using.

Under the current government monopoly system of education, educators
are free to put their ideological agenda ahead of academic
achievement. A voucher system woulld force them to compete and rein in
such shenanigans.

Donna Metler

Apr 17, 2008, 9:11:23 AM4/17/08

"Beliavsky" <beli...@aol.com> wrote in message

---
Uh, teachers don't choose curriculum. When my former school adopted everyday
math, it was with massive objection from the teachers, who felt that it
didn't cover the basics enough. In our state, curriculum is adopted at the
state level, by political appointees, not educators, and tends to have more
to do with who donated what to who than educational validity. The programs
that have been approved as "research based reading" are a good example at
the federal level.

My daughter's principal for next year has said that his school will NOT
accept vouchers should they become available, because he wants control of
his school's curriculum to remain at the teacher, classroom, parent council.
and school level, and as soon as they accept outside funding, they're
allowing an outside source to have some say in what is taught-and some say
often soon becomes control and standardization.

Herman Rubin

Apr 17, 2008, 3:36:04 PM4/17/08
In article <a9610b12-eb4e-447f...@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
Beliavsky <beli...@aol.com> wrote:

Alas, the situation is much worse than that; it has gone
too far. The public schools started becoming age-oriented
and social-oriented instead of being academically oriented
during the Depression, and yes, I was there.

It will take a long time; our teachers have been TRAINED to
think in terms of class discipline and class events, and also
class performance, and not that the individual is to be
educated, not trained, so they cannot do other than train.
hru...@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558