re. Linux Software For EBay (Ignoramus29233; Net::eBay)

1 view

Doug Mitton

Apr 1, 2008, 7:47:40 AM4/1/08

I've been using a Perl utility written by Ignoramus29233 to keep
up-to-date on EBay listings for items I'm interested in. As of last
evening and this morning it is refusing to connect to ebay, I get the
following error:

Net::eBay: error making request GetSearchResults (500 Can't connect to
api.ebay.com:443 (Bad hostname 'api.ebay.com')).
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Net/eBay.pm line 448.
Error parsing XML (Could not find ebay-search.xml in /usr/bin/ at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Net/eBay.pm line 440
). REF(content) = CONTENT=
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/bin/ebay-search.pl
line 155.
ERROR During Query.
$VAR1 = {};

Is anyone else seeing anything similar? I may be just having a
(temporary) DNS problem but I thought I'd ask while I continue
researching.

Thanks in advance.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

Ignoramus3733

Apr 1, 2008, 9:14:20 AM4/1/08
On 2008-04-01, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

> I've been using a Perl utility written by Ignoramus29233 to keep
> up-to-date on EBay listings for items I'm interested in. As of last
> evening and this morning it is refusing to connect to ebay, I get the
> following error:
>
> Net::eBay: error making request GetSearchResults (500 Can't connect to
> api.ebay.com:443 (Bad hostname 'api.ebay.com')).
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Net/eBay.pm line 448.
> Error parsing XML (Could not find ebay-search.xml in /usr/bin/ at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Net/eBay.pm line 440
> ). REF(content) = CONTENT=
> Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/bin/ebay-search.pl
> line 155.
> ERROR During Query.
> $VAR1 = {};
>
> Is anyone else seeing anything similar? I may be just having a
> (temporary) DNS problem but I thought I'd ask while I continue
> researching.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Try typing

ping api.ebay.com

I think that somehow, you either lost your internet, or your DNS and
cannot resolve api.ebay.com. (see the bad hostname message)

It just worked for me:

==> egi --description 200210557480
Item 200210557480: AIR TOOLS BRAND NEW CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP
Ends: 22:23:24 Mar 31 2008 (your local time)
Time Left: 0 seconds
Quantity 1, 1 sold, 0 left
High Bidder: ichudov (Invalid Request 60532, US) (3 bids)
High Bid: 91.99

BRAND NEW (CP) AND AJAX AIR TOOLS. IN THE TOOL KIT IS A AIR CHIZEL
,AIR DRILL, 3/8 AIR GUN . SOCKET SET , CHIZEL SET, AIR PRESSURE
REGULATOR TOOL BOX , TORQUE WRENCH AND OTHER VARIOUS TOOLS ALL BRAND
NEW STILL IN THE BUBBLE WRAP.

Doug Mitton

Apr 1, 2008, 10:16:13 AM4/1/08
Ignoramus3733 <ignora...@NOSPAM.3733.invalid> wrote:

Thanks for the response, it started working again at about 09:30 EST
... my ISP must have had a DNS glitch!

Very nice utility, I use it a lot.

Thanks again!

Ignoramus3733

Apr 1, 2008, 10:45:17 AM4/1/08

Cool. I am very happy that you are using it. I use this stuff a lot
for selling. In fact, I have not sold anything through eBay's list
your item pages, in a long time. Scripts are easier.

I also use the search script to search for stuff and email me the
changes daily. Helps when I look for rare items, such as a M105A2 bow
kit etc.

Mac

Apr 1, 2008, 1:27:38 PM4/1/08

I use Linux. Is this script available for sale/download?

Mac

Ignoramus3733

Apr 1, 2008, 2:33:29 PM4/1/08

It is released under GNU Public License. Free. You can get these
scripts and modules from CPAN.

http://search.cpan.org/~ichudov/

Log on as root and type from command line

cpan Net::eBay

and you should hopefully get the module and sample scripts installed.

Doug Mitton

Apr 2, 2008, 9:10:46 AM4/2/08
Ignoramus3733 <ignora...@NOSPAM.3733.invalid> wrote:

I haven't gotten in to selling on ebay yet BUT I use it in my own
"cron" scripts to monitor items I'm interested in purchasing and email
me when its gets close ... I'm a "sniper"! :-) I've been using it
since Sept 2007 and this is the first problem I've encountered.

I actually added a `ebay-search.pl --incanada` switch so I can
specifically limit my search to a specific country. In general I
really prefer CLI utilities as they are much easier to parse and use
in my own custom scripts ... sometimes its nice to have a GUI
front-end to the CLI ... but just as an option.

Once again, thanks!

Ignoramus25047

Apr 2, 2008, 1:07:19 PM4/2/08
On 2008-04-02, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus3733 <ignora...@NOSPAM.3733.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2008-04-01, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the response, it started working again at about 09:30 EST
>>> ... my ISP must have had a DNS glitch!
>>>
>>> Very nice utility, I use it a lot.
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>>
>>Cool. I am very happy that you are using it. I use this stuff a lot
>>for selling. In fact, I have not sold anything through eBay's list
>>your item pages, in a long time. Scripts are easier.
>>
>>I also use the search script to search for stuff and email me the
>>changes daily. Helps when I look for rare items, such as a M105A2 bow
>>kit etc.

> I haven't gotten in to selling on ebay yet BUT I use it in my own
> "cron" scripts to monitor items I'm interested in purchasing and email
> me when its gets close ... I'm a "sniper"! :-) I've been using it
> since Sept 2007 and this is the first problem I've encountered.
>
> I actually added a `ebay-search.pl --incanada` switch so I can
> specifically limit my search to a specific country. In general I
> really prefer CLI utilities as they are much easier to parse and use
> in my own custom scripts ... sometimes its nice to have a GUI
> front-end to the CLI ... but just as an option.
>
> Once again, thanks!

Very nice Doug. What does your --incanada switch do, set site id?

Doug Mitton

Apr 3, 2008, 7:46:17 AM4/3/08
Ignoramus25047 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.25047.invalid> wrote:

Here is a diff of the changes I made ...

<Pa>dmitton:/usr/bin$ diff ebay-search.pl ebay-search.pl.orig
31c31
< my ($seller, $zip, $distance, $category, $completed, $exclude,
$detail, $nobids, $all, $nobins, $nofeatured, $minprice, $maxprice,
$incanada);
---
> my ($seller, $zip, $distance, $category, $completed, $exclude, $detail, $nobids, $all, $nobins, $nofeatured, $minprice, $maxprice);
76,79d75
< } elsif( $ARGV[0] eq '--incanada' ) {
< $done = 1;
< shift;
< $incanada = 1;
88c84
< usage "bad zipcode '$zip'" unless $zip =~ /^\w+/;
---
> usage "bad zipcode '$zip'" unless $zip =~ /^\d+/;
136,141c132
<
< if( defined $incanada ) {
< $request->{SearchLocationFilter} = { CountryCode => "CA",
ItemLocation => "ItemLocatedIn" };
< #$request->{SearchLocationFilter} = { Currency => "CAD" };
< }
<
---

... there is a little bit of line wrap ... sorry. Its not a major
change but it took some research into the API. I'm not really a Perl
programmer BUT I like to tinker.

This was awhile ago but I also had to change the "zipcode" format
string as it was rejecting Canadian postal codes. I don't use that
option a lot but it was stopping my country changes.

Ignoramus18496

Apr 3, 2008, 9:36:43 AM4/3/08
Doug, what I am thinking is to add a couple of command line switches,
--currency and --country to set currency and country code.

And also incorporate your change from \d+ to \w+.

Then you could be getting the latest version of my stuff without
having to make your own changes. Your --incanada will then change to

--currency CAD --country CA

let me know if you are interested.

Doug Mitton

Apr 3, 2008, 10:19:01 AM4/3/08
Ignoramus18496 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.18496.invalid> wrote:

I'm definetly interested ... that change would only be a minor mod to
my scripts ... and I'd always be using the up-to-date version.

Any tricks to updateing an installed module like this? Just download
and do the standard

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

... will update/over-write everything ok?

Thanks!

Ignoramus18496

Apr 3, 2008, 10:30:04 AM4/3/08
On 2008-04-03, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus18496 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.18496.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Doug, what I am thinking is to add a couple of command line switches,
>>
>>And also incorporate your change from \d+ to \w+.
>>
>>Then you could be getting the latest version of my stuff without
>>having to make your own changes. Your --incanada will then change to
>>

>>let me know if you are interested.

> I'm definetly interested ... that change would only be a minor mod to
> my scripts ... and I'd always be using the up-to-date version.
>
> Any tricks to updateing an installed module like this? Just download
> and do the standard
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> ... will update/over-write everything ok?
>
> Thanks!

OK, I released version 0.48, it is on CPAN and will show up in a few
hours. You need 0.48 for changes to take effect.

I usually install the modules by typing, as root,

cpan Net::eBay

for example. Yes, it should overwrite itself just fine.

Doug Mitton

Apr 3, 2008, 2:16:38 PM4/3/08
Ignoramus18496 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.18496.invalid> wrote:

Hmmm, well ...

1) `cpan Net::eBay`
It loads V0.46 and thats as far as it goes.

2) Directly to CPan, it says its version 0.48 but reports "file not
found" when I click on the "download" link for it. I've tried a
couple of mirrors.

I'll keep watching and trying.

Ignoramus18496

Apr 3, 2008, 2:35:37 PM4/3/08

I would say, wait until the evening, it should hopefully propagate to
mirrors by then.

You can always say as root

echo 'cpan Net::eBay 2>&1 | Mail -s cpan_results doug_...@hotmail.x.com' | at 04:00

(remove .x. from email address)

this job will be done at 4am and you will know by morning what is the
result .

Doug Mitton

Apr 4, 2008, 7:11:12 AM4/4/08
Ignoramus18496 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.18496.invalid> wrote:

I got the update (download from CPan) at about 22:00 EDT. I'm using
it now. Thanks!

Ignoramus20845

Apr 4, 2008, 10:22:38 AM4/4/08
On 2008-04-04, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus18496 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.18496.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2008-04-03, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm, well ...
>>>
>>> 1) `cpan Net::eBay`
>>> It loads V0.46 and thats as far as it goes.
>>>
>>> 2) Directly to CPan, it says its version 0.48 but reports "file not
>>> found" when I click on the "download" link for it. I've tried a
>>> couple of mirrors.
>>>
>>> I'll keep watching and trying.
>>
>>I would say, wait until the evening, it should hopefully propagate to
>>mirrors by then.
>>
>>You can always say as root
>>
>>echo 'cpan Net::eBay 2>&1 | Mail -s cpan_results doug_...@hotmail.x.com' | at 04:00
>>
>>(remove .x. from email address)
>>
>>this job will be done at 4am and you will know by morning what is the
>>result .

> I got the update (download from CPan) at about 22:00 EDT. I'm using
> it now. Thanks!

I am really excited about this, great.

You can also use these scripts to set up "affiliate websites" and make
some extra money on th eside.

You know those lovely sites that lure you in and then send to eBay
surreptitiously. That's how affiliates do it, they get ebay auction
descriptions with API and then post on their websites.

Doug Mitton

Apr 5, 2008, 7:43:20 AM4/5/08
Ignoramus20845 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.20845.invalid> wrote:

Is this also how a site like Google can offer ebay links to searches?

(Hmmm, its a little difficult to reply right now as my Usenet server
has this group on a ban list so I have to switch to an alternate
server to post.)

Doug Mitton

Apr 7, 2012, 11:44:58 AM4/7/12
I've been using a Perl utility written by Ignoramus29233 to keep
up-to-date on EBay listings for items I'm interested in.

Is anyone else using this?

My Auth Token has just expired (as it does every 1.5 years or so) and
I can't seem to find out where I re-generate it. The development
network seems to have transferred over to x.com and it is not very
clear how to continue.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

Ignoramus12682

Apr 7, 2012, 10:01:47 PM4/7/12
On 2012-04-07, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> I've been using a Perl utility written by Ignoramus29233 to keep
> up-to-date on EBay listings for items I'm interested in.
>
> Is anyone else using this?
>
> My Auth Token has just expired (as it does every 1.5 years or so) and
> I can't seem to find out where I re-generate it. The development
> network seems to have transferred over to x.com and it is not very
> clear how to continue.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had to redo the same, I found something on developer.ebay.com, I can
look if you want. I had to do the same thing. They expire every 18
months or some such (stupid if you ask me).

I spent a while looking and found this:

http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/building-blocks/eBB_Join.pdf

Doug Mitton

Apr 8, 2012, 7:06:20 AM4/8/12
Thanks. I did finally find the page ... after repeated searching in
x.com it finally produced an option.

I had finally found this link that (seems to) get you around x.com and
right into the developer network:
https://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/account/default.aspx

Thanks for the assistance.